LucyRTL8125Ethernet.kext for Realtek RTL8125

Mieze

117 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Gigabyte Z590i Vision D

I added LucyRTL8125Ethernet and I'm getting: OC: Prelinked injection LucyRTL8125Ethernet.kext (LucyRTL8125Ethernet.kext) - Success

But inside the installer there is no en0 device, no Internet, any ideas?

Also, I'm usuin Linux, how I can get the correct pci path and values to be added to deviceProperties or this is not needed?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i have bought the comfast 2.5G ethernet card and run smoothly with the LucyRTL8125Ethernet.kext...thanks for the Mieze's support...but i cant choose the 2500BASET. only rhe 1000BASET can work....it is related the router?

UPDATE: on the windows11, i can set the velocity to 2500baseT and the internet can connect.without any issue.

Edited by xtddd
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/5/2023 at 9:24 PM, MattsCreative said:

The kext no longer works in macos 14

what is the error ? any other non intel/realtek 2.5/5 cards for osx? 

can recomplie in newer xcode??

Edited by kocoman

I keep getting complaints that the kexts doesn't work anymore with every major release of mcOS for all of my drivers since I published them but when I tried it myself it always turned out that the kext is working fine and that these issues were user errors. Besides that I have learned to distinguish between sophisticated bug report, which usually include detailed problem descriptions, kernel logs, etc., and user error errors, which usually are limited to the claim that the kext doesn't work anymore.

That's why I refuse to take the this "bug report" serious, at least until someone comes up with a real bug report as described above, and assume that the driver is still working fine in macOS 14.

Mieze 😽

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Mieze said:

I keep getting complaints that the kexts doesn't work anymore with every major release of mcOS for all of my drivers since I published them but when I tried it myself it always turned out that the kext is working fine and that these issues were user errors. Besides that I have learned to distinguish between sophisticated bug report, which usually include detailed problem descriptions, kernel logs, etc., and user error errors, which usually are limited to the claim that the kext doesn't work anymore.

That's why I refuse to take the this "bug report" serious, at least until someone comes up with a real bug report as described above, and assume that the driver is still working fine in macOS 14.

Mieze 😽

ok so I can buy the 4 port card of this, will it work on all 4 ports?  thx

• 4 weeks later...

On 6/20/2023 at 6:31 PM, kocoman said:
On 6/21/2023 at 4:01 AM, Mieze said:

Mieze 😽

Thank you for release this amazing kext. Do you recommend to clean  install for each major OS update? Because after I upgrade from Big Sur to Ventura. I lost Ethernet sometimes. So I have to reboot to get Ethernet working again. 

Edited by remix0120

On 7/15/2023 at 7:59 PM, remix0120 said:

Thank you for release this amazing kext. Do you recommend to clean  install for each major OS update? Because after I upgrade from Big Sur to Ventura. I lost Ethernet sometimes. So I have to reboot to get Ethernet working again. 

its nice if someone knows the command like dmesg in linux that can give tips when it occurs

• 7 months later...
On 6/21/2023 at 2:01 PM, Mieze said:

I keep getting complaints that the kexts doesn't work anymore

Dear Creator, nobody tries to compain or blame you. Thank you VERY much from your users!

I encountered the same prob: Sonoma won't boot. Actually it does, but gets dark screen RIGHT after PCI enum, ie, everything seem to load OK, but the GUI. I suspect some conflict with video (native ATI drivers) but can't boot at all without npci=0x2000 kernel parameter you recommend to avoid.

It worked ok with the same param in Ventura though. Is there any easy chance to track conflicts? Thank you!

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

I just want to let you know that I'm working on an update of LucyRTL8125Ethernet to make the driver compatible with AppleVTD.

Edited by Mieze
Fixed a typo
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

As announced yesterday, here is your easter-egg 🐇 🥚from me, version 1.2.0d5 of LucyRTL8125Ethernet which brings several important changes:

• Added support for AppleVTD (not required, also works fine with AppleVTD disabled).
  • Implemented an interrupt throttling algorithm to reduce CPU load and improve throughput as the hardware interrupt throttling function is broken in the RTL8125.
  • Limited jumbo frame support (MTU <= 4076) due to hardware issues and limitations of AppleVTD.

Just a few more words on jumbo frame support which has turned out to be problematic. Unlike the RTL8111, the RTL8125 only works reliable, when receive buffers are large enough to hold an entire packet as spreading a received packet over more than one buffer might cause trouble. Unfortunately there is no reliable way to get a physically contiguous packet buffer which is larger than 4096 Bytes (one page) under macOS, in particular with AppleVTD enabled. Therefore I had to limit jumbo frame support to a maximum supported MTU of 4076 (4096 - 20 = 4076).

Monterey and below:

Due to a peculiarity of the network control panel in System Preferences, it is not possible to set an MTU greater than 1500 if the driver doesn't report a maximum supported packet size of at least 9018 Bytes. As reporting the correct maximum packet would effectively disable the ability to use jumbo frames at all, LucyRTL8125Ethernet reports  a maximum supported packet size of 9018 Bytes (MTU = packet size - 18) but any attempt to set a MTU over 4076 will fail. Please keep that in mind when you are planning to use jumbo frames. Yeah, I know this is an ugly workaround but the only solution to enable  jumbo frames at all.

Ventura and above:

LucyRTL8125Ethernet will correctly report the maximum supported value for MTU as 4076 as the behaviour of the network control panel in System Preferences has been changed.

Please test the driver. Any feedback is welcome!

LucyRTL8125Ethernet-V1.2.0d5.zip

Edited by Mieze
  • Like 4

On 3/31/2024 at 1:43 AM, Mieze said:

As announced yesterday, here is your easter-egg 🐇 🥚from me, version 1.2.0d5 of LucyRTL8125Ethernet which brings several important changes:

• Added support for AppleVTD (not required, also works fine with AppleVTD disabled).
  • Implemented an interrupt throttling algorithm to reduce CPU load and improve throughput as the hardware interrupt throttling function is broken in the RTL8125.
  • Limited jumbo frame support (MTU <= 4076) due to hardware issues and limitations of AppleVTD.

Just a few more words on jumbo frame support which has turned out to be problematic. Unlike the RTL8111, the RTL8125 only works reliable, when receive buffers are large enough to hold an entire packet as spreading a received packet over more than one buffer might cause trouble. Unfortunately there is no reliable way to get a physically contiguous packet buffer which is larger than 4096 Bytes (one page) under macOS, in particular with AppleVTD enabled. Therefore I had to limit jumbo frame support to a maximum supported MTU of 4076 (4096 - 20 = 4076).

Monterey and below:

Due to a peculiarity of the network control panel in System Preferences, it is not possible to set an MTU greater than 1500 if the driver doesn't report a maximum supported packet size of at least 9018 Bytes. As reporting the correct maximum packet would effectively disable the ability to use jumbo frames at all, LucyRTL8125Ethernet reports  a maximum supported packet size of 9018 Bytes (MTU = packet size - 18) but any attempt to set a MTU over 4076 will fail. Please keep that in mind when you are planning to use jumbo frames. Yeah, I know this is an ugly workaround but the only solution to enable  jumbo frames at all.

Ventura and above:

LucyRTL8125Ethernet will correctly report the maximum supported value for MTU as 4076 as the behaviour of the network control panel in System Preferences has been changed.

Please test the driver. Any feedback is welcome!

LucyRTL8125Ethernet-V1.2.0d5.zip 71.05 kB · 5 downloads

Works fine for me.

• Thanks 1