[pre-release] macOS Catalina

1,679 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, matgeo said:

The goal is to prevent AppleACPIEC for loading.

You asked for a device name EC at first, so I told you what I currently know.

6 hours ago, matgeo said:

With ssdt-ec it adds a fake EC device with nothing injected. AppleACPIEC still loads under ECDV and I have an additional EC device which does nothing.

That's why I said keep following this thread. From 10.12 to old versions of 10.15.bx, an EC device is needed for power injection. Currently since Beta 8(?) EC is not needed I think? I'm downloading the macOS installer image to see on what condition the USB power management is correctly implemented.

4 hours ago, matgeo said:

Tried in HighSierra and it worked (the script).

But my laptop doesn't boot with the ssdt-ec.

Why High Sierra? Check if AppleBusPowerController is loaded anywhere.

@hardcorehenry, interesting stuff. Nothing in the readme though :(

Ok so i did a fresh install of the latest beta (9) i think on my desktop as i couldnt boot after installing the latest IPG (3.6.0). Now i installed IPG and rebooted and it was fine i think but then i installed iCue for my keyboard and mouse and of course it needed a reboot. Upon rebooting it just goes into a boot loop. I think beta 9 is very screwy. Does anyone know how i can download beta 8?

48 minutes ago, matgeo said:

Ok.

I keep trying to prevent ECDV(and APPLEACPIEC) from loading and instead adding a fake EC device.

I use a ssdt-ec according to guide but I still have the ECDV device.

What I'm doing wrong ?

Here is my clover folder https://mega.nz/#!vMR0HYCR!I4GXc6ov6-3UW8vWZ7nC0Fh9PihI1HLsUmT3rNFaT6EUntitled.png.0667cf285cba01889cc913ee1cd63d51.png

Google "USB power property injection". This topic is for Catalina, not High Sierra.

And why don't you actually read what's in the SSDT? You don't seem to know what you are doing.

@matgeo I told you to search USB power because this discussion started with USB power maangement and I got confused. Still, that guide talks so much about renaming devices. It's helpful.

SSDT-EC.dsl talks about AppleACPIEC in one of the links inside SSDT-EC, and I guess you still haven't looked into it. I don't remember how many times I said look up.

Your IOReg shows High Sierra.

If you go ask for help in OC forums I'm sure experts there will help you. Please keep this topic off of AppleACPIEC. It's a problem in every OS, not just Catalina.

MY problem solved with LCD brightness.  WEG alone does not take care of this for Laptops that have only Nvidia GTX and Intel integrated graphics disabled.  We still need AppleBacklightFixup and WEG alone does not work.  We still need WEG obviously, but whatever code is in ABF needs to be included in WEG for future releases for NVIDIA support.  I was able to get ABF to work again with a bootflag to run on unsupported software such as Beta Catalina so once the final version of Catalina is released it will work without this flag "-applbklbeta hopefully.  We need future release versions of WEG to support exactly what ABF does for Nvidia GFX, and not just Intel.

Edited by oSxFr33k
  • Like 2

I haven't noticed any ill effects from loading AppleACPIEC here either. All three of my hacks have been loading it for years. I didn't even look into this until I tried to update my laptop to this latest Catalina build. Without a EC device (even dummy) my USB ports would cut out shortly into boot causing it to hang. Nothing is attaching to it in the IOReg in Catalina but it still can't boot without it.

Out of curiosity I tried to block loading AppleACPIEC on my X79 (where I've had EC0 renamed to EC in DSDT) with a SSDT that disabled EC0 and injected a dummy EC device but the system wouldn't boot. Maybe it's more of an issue on newer hardware. Mine is all Sandy/Ivy era.

Edited by Riley Freeman

53 minutes ago, chris1111 said:

Did you install fresh or over your current install?  Every time I install over the previous version things go wrong for me something to do with the Data volume, I think I am suppose to boot to that after the initial somewhat short install it boots to install but its the Data Volume, I am guessing that is where the image is initially placed so when I continue from there it seems to complete the second portion reboots but wants to install again from the Data volume where the image was placed so my install keeps looping over and over.  Do I need to remove the Data Volume before proceeding with the install?

Is the Beta/Developers preview version in the version.plist?

Edited by oSxFr33k

26 minutes ago, oSxFr33k said:

Did you install fresh or over your current install?  Every time I install over the previous version things go wrong for me something to do with the Data volume, I think I am suppose to boot to that after the initial somewhat short install it boots to install but its the Data Volume, I am guessing that is where the image is initially placed so when I continue from there it seems to complete the second portion reboots but wants to install again from the Data volume where the image was placed so my install keeps looping over and over.  Do I need to remove the Data Volume before proceeding with the install?

If you remove the data volume, you will lose your files.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ASentientBot said:

If you remove the data volume, you will lose your files.

Maybe format only the Catalina Volume leave the Data one alone, I'll try that and install fresh.

Ok the update through Settings Update went fine.  Maybe its the full download and update from that installer that I am having a problem with?

So its puts the installer onto the Data Volume but does not want to boot to that volume wants to boot back into Catalina without continuing the install.  I have to choose the Data Volume from Clover GUI to continue and complete the installation.

Edited by oSxFr33k
  • Like 1

On 9/29/2019 at 12:10 PM, SavageAUS said:

Ok so i did a fresh install of the latest beta (9) i think on my desktop as i couldnt boot after installing the latest IPG (3.6.0). Now i installed IPG and rebooted and it was fine i think but then i installed iCue for my keyboard and mouse and of course it needed a reboot. Upon rebooting it just goes into a boot loop. I think beta 9 is very screwy. Does anyone know how i can download beta 8?

Just remove /Library/Extensions/EnergyDriver.kext will solve your problem.
Then, roll back to Intel Power Gadget 3.5.5 will work.

Just remove /Library/Extensions/EnergyDriver.kext will solve your problem.
Then, roll back to Intel Power Gadget 3.5.5 will work.

I’ve already done a fresh install but will remember that if it happens again thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, oSxFr33k said:

I have Update, thats it 

Its Easy to update on my ProBook