[pre-release] macOS Catalina

1,679 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, arsradu said:

Ok, I'll try it tonight. :) Thank you very much for your suggestion.

Interesting thing is that I never needed to set up anything for the CPU though... I mean, regarding temps and such. Also, I haven't had this issue with older versions of Catalina. And never had this issue with Mojave. So...I'm not sure what changed in the meantime that requires a BIOS setting. Also, last time I had this issue with Catalina, it was fixed by changing the ig-platform-id to a "headless" one (using 0x04120004). Which would lead to an iGPU issue, in my opinion, rather than a CPU issue. But right now, I'm really out of ideas. Since the same ig-platform-id doesn't seem to work anymore, for some reason... :)) Soooo...yeah, I'll have to dig into BIOS to see how can I limit the temps on my CPU.

Just curious, which part of the report told you this looks like a CPU overheating issue? I was never able to understand these reports. So any help is appreciated. :))

1. Disable Serial Port in your BIOS
2. Your SMBIOS should be iMac14,2 not iMacPro

Hi there! default_smile.png

1. I think it's already disabled....? Will double check tonight.

2. It does the same thing with any SMBIOS, including iMac14,2, just like it didn't do this before, with any SMBIOS including iMacPro1,1.

But i'll try to fiddle around with the smbioses as well tonight. Maybe there's something I've missed.

Thank you!

Just now, arsradu said:

Hi there! :)

1. I think it's already disabled....? Will double check tonight.
2. It does the same thing with any SMBIOS, including iMac14,2, juat lile it didn't do this before, with any SMBIOS including iMacPro1,1.

But i'll try to fiddle around with the smbioses as well tonight. Maybe there's something I've missed.

Sent from my XT1663 using Tapatalk

Don't forget to upload your IOREG Output

1 hour ago, Andres ZeroCross said:

Anyone get some problem??? I try to download macOS Catalina Beta from appstore https://apps.apple.com/us/app/macos-catalina-beta/id1455661060?mt=12

And when it's almost finish (just 1 minute remaining) i get this error message. Try it twice with same results.

photo_2019-09-24_18-02-03.jpg

Hmm....no, never seen that error before.

Maybe try to remove any installation files (if there are any) from /Applications and try again...?

Also, you could try switching from Dev Beta to Public Beta (it's the same build). Maybe there's an issue with the dev beta seed.

2 minutes ago, CMMChris said:

@Andres ZeroCross Run this in terminal:
sudo /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Seeding.framework/Resources/seedutil fixup

followed by
sudo /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Seeding.framework/Resources/seedutil enroll DeveloperSeed

Reboot and try again.

Rebooting now,, will report several hours later. I will try to download "Install macOS Catalina Beta.app" again. Thanks before
image.png.f497437686fc634b9ec6a5198f2a075d.png

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ellybz said:

Anybody has an issue with Beta 9 & airdrop not showing? (19A573a)

PS: I had to primarily re-inject the BRCM4331.kext in the IO80211family.kext for my wifi to work as Beta 9 got rid of this kext. ( I rebuild cache, etc..Obviously :))

So wifi & bluetooth are now working, however I lost Airdrop. ( Airplay is working )

C1464099809_ScreenShot2019-09-23at5_44_32PM.png.fb4909619b9222dba2d59b54130bfa0f.png

Can anyone report their status with a BRCM4331 Card? Thanks.

No problem here with AirDrop in macOS Catalina DP 9 Build 19A573a (BCM943602CS + Bluetooth)

image.png.010e6cfd57ba5fc664ad9d9804b7b9e6.png

• Like 1

On 9/21/2019 at 4:44 AM, arsradu said:

Hi guys,

Anyone else having wake issues with RX cards and Catalina Beta 8? This used to work before. Now it just doesn't anymore. System goes to sleep just fine. But it just doesn't wake up graphics after sleep. Same config.

Update: I disabled Inject Intel. Now it does wake up the screen, but can't move the mouse pointer, and keyboard seems to be stuck, as well. Everything is pretty much frozen.

I feel this has to be related to the iGPU. And...after fiddling around with the ig-platform-id, I'm pretty sure that's the cause. Thing is...the same ig-platform-id (for headless connection) used to work before. I just don't know what to change now to make it work again...

I have the exact same problem with my RX 560. The solution was to set the iGPU as primary in BIOS.

20 minutes ago, igorw said:

I have the exact same problem with my RX 560. The solution was to set the iGPU as primary in BIOS.

Hi there!

Thanks for your feedback! I did that too... Didn't seem to make a difference though... I think the issue is related to the iGPU. I just don't know how to fix it right now.

18 hours ago, Sherlocks said:

how about rebuild kernel cache?

나의 SM-N960N 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

Yes its Work now :whistle:

Good news for the Old Nvidia and Intel HD 3000 video card, the package Legacy video B9

Works with out using the Recovery HD but you have to complete a fresh Install of Beta 9 because update beta 8 to Beta 9 not working for the Legacy Video

But its a great succeees annyway ;)

1.thumb.png.e5adbac37e21fb4bbd9e84278c19761b.png

2.thumb.png.e1bd97319f907393bb5fdd528c4a6f77.png

Big thanks to @ASentientBot

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, arsradu said:

@Andres ZeroCross I just finished downloading the installer, with no issues. So I'm guessing either something specific to your case, or something specific to the dev beta. I downloaded from Public Beta.

I just thought you might wanna know. :) 

This is my third download. Very slow connection from Apple Server. My Internet Connections is 30Mbps
image.png.d519e684369bdded87b70bc152125d77.png

• Sad 1

This is my third download. Very slow connection from Apple Server. My Internet Connections is 30Mbps
image.png.d519e684369bdded87b70bc152125d77.png
I had the same issue and had to stop and restart numerous times. Took about forty minutes with a gigabyte connection.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

@Andres ZeroCross Fixed it!! FINALLY!!!!!!

I was right when I said this happens with any SMBIOS and the fact that, with the same config, it just stopped working at some point.

But you were definitely right when you said Serial Ports! That option was enabled, and despite the fact that I don't remember giving much importance to that before with Catalina (when it worked), and despite the fact that, with the same option enabled, Mojave works just fine, THAT ACTUALLY FIXED IT! :)))

So yeah, it was an option in the BIOS, it wasn't the config, it wasn't the SMBIOS, and it looks like it is something that might have been recently added to MacOS, since it didn't happen with previous versions of Catalina (though I might have disabled that option before, without realising how important that was), and it definitely didn't happen with Mojave.

So yeah, to sum up:

1. SMBIOS change did nothing

2. fresh installation did nothing

3. setting the iGPU as primary, in my case at least, it didn't change anything.

What did make the whole difference, and I honestly didn't expect it to make all that difference, since to me it looked like the problem is iGPU related...not..serial ports related...was disabling Serial Ports in BIOS.

So yeah, a HUGE thank you to everyone for their feedback on this issue. You guys are awesome! :) 

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, arsradu said:

I was right when I said this happens with any SMBIOS and the fact that, with the same config, it just stopped working at some point.

But you were definitely right when you said Serial Ports! That option was enabled, and despite the fact that I don't remember giving much importance to that before with Catalina (when it worked), and despite the fact that, with the same option enabled, Mojave works just fine, THAT ACTUALLY FIXED IT! :)))

So yeah, it was an option in the BIOS, it wasn't the config, it wasn't the SMBIOS, and it looks like it is something that might have been recently added to MacOS, since it didn't happen with previous versions of Catalina (though I might have disabled that option before, without realising how important that was), and it definitely didn't happen with Mojave.

So yeah, to sum up:

What did make the whole difference, and I honestly didn't expect it to make all that difference, since to me it looked like the problem is iGPU related...not..serial ports related...was disabling Serial Ports in BIOS.

So yeah, a HUGE thank you to everyone for their feedback on this issue. You guys are awesome! :) 

i have fixed other PC hackintosh in my country with same issue like yours. He is using Haswell Platform + RX 560. Same issue about wake from sleep,, serial port = disable is the key. So i just give solution based on experience. Honestly i try to tracking this device in IOREG / DSDT and try to disable it from DSDT (let serial enable in BIOS), but somehow still can make wake issue. So the best solution for now is disable from bios only. Until we know what device of SERIAL in IOREG / DSDT

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ellybz said:

Andres ZeroCross

@Andres ZeroCross Airdrop works with BRCM4360 works because it's present in the IO80211 family kext. My question was related to those with BRCM4331 that has to be re injected. Thanks for your input :)

Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 11.46.15 AM.png

Your first line questions above is about "Anybody has an issue with Beta 9 & airdrop not showing? (19A573a)", you didn't write BCM4331 as main issue in your first questions. So i give answer about your Main Questions

PS : AFAIK Airdrop is about Bluetooth, not wifi kext

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Andres ZeroCross said:

Your first line questions above is about "Anybody has an issue with Beta 9 & airdrop not showing? (19A573a)", you didn't write BCM4331 as main issue in your first questions. So i give answer about your Main Questions

PS : AFAIK Airdrop is about Bluetooth, not wifi kext

Yes I did, I wrote" Can anyone report their status with a BRCM4331 Card? Thanks."

No big deal. thanks anyway :). AFAIK, Airdrop needs WIFI to be turned on, but it does not need to be connected to a network.

Edited by Ellybz
  • Like 1

@arsradu I mentioned overheating CPU & bios settings because after reading your report, NMIPI seemed related to your crashes/ freezes. This often relates to overheating issues.

I'm glad you resolved your pb ( with the valuable help of @Andres ZeroCross ).

Edited by Ellybz
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ellybz said:

@arsradu I mentioned overheating CPU & bios settings because after reading your report, NMPI seemed related to your crashed/ freezes. This often relates to overheating issues.

I'm glad you resolved your pb ( with the valuable help of @Andres ZeroCross ).

Looks like we were both wrong here. :)) You thought it's CPU overheating, turned out it wasn't. I thought it was iGPU related, turned out it wasn't. :)))

Anyway, I'm aware of the fact that this is a simple community of really beautiful people willing to help. I always keep in mind that nobody's perfect, we all make mistakes, anyone of us can be wrong, and I definitely don't expect anyone to come up with the ultimate solution to all of the world's problems. Believe me, there is no such thing. :))) So I do appreciate every bit of help I can get, and I thank you guys very much for being the awesome human beings that you are. :) 

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, arsradu said:

Thank you very much for this info. Also works for me on my desktop.  :thumbsup_anim:

Figured it out. Renamed EC0 via a Clover patch instead of through DSDT (where I had to rename a stack of matching entries to get the DSDT to compile).

Did anyone else lose their battery info in System Profiler after renaming EC0 to EC? I couldn't install the latest Catalina build until I did this and now my charge and cycle count values show "-1".

This is in Sierra and Catalina. Rolling back my previous DSDT with EC0 untouched fixes the problem, but breaks Catalina.

I'm using VoodooBatterySMC from the latest HWSensors from Slice (r241).

Edited by Riley Freeman

8 hours ago, arsradu said:

So yeah, to sum up:

Hello, I seem to have encountered the same problem as you. Can you elaborate on how you modified the BIOS settings?

7 hours ago, xiaoM4095 said:

Hello, I seem to have encountered the same problem as you. Can you elaborate on how you modified the BIOS settings?

I'm not sure laptops have that option. So...I think in your case, the source of the issue might be different...? Do you get KP? If so, can you post the report you get after reboot? It might be different.

I think your issue might actually be related to the iGPU. Unless your experience says otherwise.

Anyway, this is for my desktop motherboard (and probably other desktop motherboards, as well). Similar naming.

IMG_0191_jpeg.thumb.png.8da6b84ef6cb0d7f333045d9729652c8.png

IMG_0192.thumb.jpeg.4ae0cbc6a91a46ee565e9f1d44949bae.jpeg

IMG_0193.thumb.jpeg.7bec3248ff405adda2a557b694942f60.jpeg

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1