New Ralink RT2500-USB Driver [a la Airport Driver] - V 1.5

Prasys

381 posts in this topic

Hi,

I just want to report successful installation of the PRASYS modified drivers on my MacOS X Server 10.5.4 (via Leo4All V5).

Details "About my Mac" could be found in my profile page.

I've tried to find a solution for Linksys (RT2500) PCI adapter and failed. I've read that something got broken with RALINK latest drivers, as previous versions of the kernel were reported to work with it.

I've borrowed the ASUS WL138G V2 (R3.01) Wi-Fi adapter, based on Broadcom BCM 4318KFBG. That card has been reported to work well on various Hacks.

Installed the ASUS Wi-Fi PCI adapter and configured my AP to accept connections from ASUS card's MAC address (a.k.a. "AirPort ID"). Got connected, eager to explore this wonderful world of Apples and Oranges.

Spent many hours troubleshooting insanely slow Internet performance using BCM4318 based ASUS card. Found no satisfactory solution.

After reading this thread in detail on my other computer and getting all the latest files on the USB drive, I've decided to give the RALINK-based Linksys card another shot. Launched the the Wizard, repaired disk permissions via Disk Utility, restarted w/F8 -f command to rebuild the kext-cache. Launched the RALINK drivers mpkg. Went to System Preferences -> Network where it found a new device (en1). From there everything worked automatically. I now connect to my Wi-Fi and have the speedy Internet.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH PRASYS!

It's almost 12:30am haven't stop looking for an answer since my last post at 10am

Status when using PRASYS nice RAlink Drivers ( PS. follow the steps given by Prasys at the beginning of this post ) was Wireless can be detected but no IP address given most common problem.

< Testing if Driver really works >

I tried manually adding IP address on the USB wireless by using the ff. command ( my wireless is en1 )

>> sudo ifconfig en1 inet 192.168.**.** netmask 255.255.255.0 up

>> ifconfig ( check if there is an IP address given for you en1 )

>> ping your gateway eg. ping 192.168.**.1 --> mine is 192.168.**.1 and walahhh there is a reply.....

I now found the solution to enable the DHCP feature and list the network profile on System Preferences.

Wireless Model : Asus WL-167g

USB\VID_041E&PID_4068&MI_00\6&29B7258F&0&0000

Problem :

- Unable to resolve IP address using DHCP

- No Network Profile is loaded at System Preferences > Network

Solution :

- Follow Prasys Procedure at the beginning of this thread

- Restart system -f on boot

- Copy the attach kext on /System/Library/Extensions

- replace RT73USBWireless and IONetworkingFamily ( Note : this has been tested only for WL-167g im not sure if this will work with other usb cards )

- repair disk permission by >> sudo diskUtil repairPermissions /

- restart system >> hope this will help

PS : once you restart goto System Preferences > Network > check if there is a new Profile ( Ethernet Adaptor en1 ) try to enable DHCP and renew IP if still don't work.

Goto Advance button > WINS tab > add NetBIOS Name same as your LAN Ethernet (en0) then OK --- > this works for me hope this works for you --- ENJOY ----

I have problem with PS, that he wrote. no device. and in -f mode device was found, but, cannot connect. work asus wl-167 on 10.5.4??????

Hello Guys, hello Prasys,

just a little hint, the download links in the first post dont work! Why i have to login to rakis.net now? And how to register there?

And one little Question: Is it possible to see my RT2560 based Level One Wifi Card (PCI) as an Airport card? Btw. your driver dont work for me in OS X 10.5.5 on x86... :-( i did the download from another link i found in the web, but it didnt work, the only driver that works for me is the original ralink driver from the american site what is for OS X 10.4...(the 10.5 driver from the taiwanese site doesnt work too)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Is 1.1.7 the latest version for the RT73WirelessDriver ? I succeeded making it working for my D-Link DWA-110 by adding correct dev-id (15367) which is missing in the info.plist file, but the fake airport menu doesn't work (tells NO_MODEM_CONFIG) and the Replug stuff isn't effective.

Plus it seems that it won't connect to a network if this one is not seen at boot time.

Can someone tell me if I missed something ?

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Prasys and all.

I tried those package following first tutorial, but USBWirelssUtility showed "No Device".

(I want to use RT2500(USB) on OS X 10.5.2)

So I researched my device by ioreg.

ioreg -w 0 -S -p IOUSB -n USB2.0\ WLAN

Then I found Info.plist's id is different from my device, and repair id(bcdDevice and idProduct).

After that, I refreshed kext.

#/usr/sbin/kextcache /System/Library/Extensions

and reboot. But it's still showed "No Device".

Does anyone use RT2500(USB) on 10.5?

Any help would be much appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For those finding themselves either typing -f at boot or hotplugging the USB adapter after boot to get the driver to load and connect, you can do the following:

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

Make sure it looks like this:

post-68205-1229912476_thumb.png

Save and quit terminal. Now you don't have to type it manually anymore, nor will you have to replug it should you forget to type -f.

It will add some time to your boot, in the refreshing of the kexts and also when the driver is loaded during boot when it tries to link up with a network.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I am just posting to say THANK YOU!!! I am so glad it finally worked! Pffef, I spent my whole free saturday searching for the correct Ralink driver (on their site) en none of them worked and their GUI drives me nuts. But thanks to you I finally got it working, specs:

- HP Compaq NC2400 (12", ICH7, i945, core solo SSE2/3)

- Kalyway OS X 10.5.2

- Asus WL-167G WLAN adapter (RT2500 chipset ofcourse) 

How do you uninstall ralinkv015?? It does NOT support WPA, and i have to plug and re-plug every time i restart!! I think one of the drivers from Ralink's website might fully work. I have DWL-G122 Rev B1 and F/W 1.0, it has RT2500 chip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I can't get it to work. The log shows loaded version of IONetworkingFamily (5.6.0) is different from requested version 1.6.1. This happens when the Ralink driver tries to load up. I replaced the IONetworkingFamily with the one available in this forum but didn't help, I still get the same message.

ASUS P5QL Pro board with Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo processor. The board has onboard Gbe lan (Attansic L1) and I am using Linksts 54g USB wireless adapter.

Did anyone see this and could fix it?

Thanks a lot.