New Ralink RT2500-USB Driver [a la Airport Driver] - V 1.5

Prasys

381 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
For those finding themselves either typing -f at boot or hotplugging the USB adapter after boot to get the driver to load and connect, you can do the following:

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

Make sure it looks like this:

post-68205-1229912476_thumb.png

Save and quit terminal. Now you don't have to type it manually anymore, nor will you have to replug it should you forget to type -f.

It will add some time to your boot, in the refreshing of the kexts and also when the driver is loaded during boot when it tries to link up with a network.

why using a picture and nano for this? i find it easier to use any given GUI editor (such as the default TextEdit) and copy paste stuff.

sudo textedit /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
 <key>Kernel</key>
 <string>mach_kernel.voodoo</string>
 <key>Kernel Flags</key>
 <string>-f -v</string>
 <key>Timeout</key>
 <string>5</string>
 <key>Quiet Boot</key>
 <string>No</string>
 <key>Graphics Mode</key>
 <string>1280x1024x32</string>
 <key>Boot Graphics</key>
 <string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

i added -v ("verbose" mode) to the flag because, it doesn't seem like a good idea to use -f ("force" kext to load) as default. at least this way it becomes clear there's something that should get some attention because there must be an error somewhere else. but i'm no expert, and i'm just guessing here.

maybe our friend Cleggy have a better solution for it (from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...ost&p=29586 ):

[...] the Kextcache was the cause of my problems. The solutions was to remove the kext cache files at /System/Library/Extensions.mkext and /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

but what I'm really wondering here is if I'll be able to make this driver work on my MSI once I finish repartitioning it... hopefully I'll get as lucky as Aarash and Maksvr.

to find my chipset I tried 3 ways: documentation wise then software wise and finally hardware wise. each one gave me a different info. in other words, first i went to MSI site to check on my laptop model (MS-163A) specs, which card should be there, and it said "Supports Intel® Mini PCI-E 4965 & 3945". i think this was wrong. then i tried lshw, lspci, sysinfo, hardwareinfo on my ubuntu and on macos. nothing. so i finally decided to freaking open my laptop and checkout the label on the chipset itself. it said RT2571WF, which now i know it stands for Ralink, and here i am at this topic.

i hope this little experience i've had so far can shred some light into someone.

edit: i'm not sure what i did to screw the forum layout.

• 1 month later...

Hi !

I'm using a D-Link USB DWL-G122, but even after using your driver, I still have to replug it after start, or it won't recognize it.

What could I have missed ?

Thanks !!

Edit : I added the -f parameter for boot, but sometimes when the gui launches, it has no previously saved profile, I have to quit and start it again in order to get profile back; and sometimes it connects directly to an opened wifi network at range, even if my profile is listed.

By the way, is it possible to make it start in a "always hidden" mode ?

Well, I got it working now.

I've made a lot of stuff, and I won't reset all just to confirm this but, I got it working and I suppose I was missing just one thing:

Pressing the button on the laptop to turn the wifi on AND reboot. It needs to be turned from before booting up.

That's it. Thanks again for all this, macgirl!

I have a Toshiba L310.

I followed the instructions given. After installing the first file, and plugging in my adapter it worked.

I could see my home network but i could not connect as it kept asking me for my hexadecimal key. But after I rebooted it didn't work again. Even after following the instructions all the way through.

Please guys I need your help, everything else works. However whenever I need to use my usb thumb drive i need to plug in then boot up leopard. Any Solutions? Any help will be most appreciated.

Here is it

Thanks to find this 2 year old thead, with this thing my wifi finnaly works, after trying lots of drivers.

I just get an old G3 imac 350, slot type.

the only caveat is that I need to go everytime to this setting app and activate the wifi profile every time I boot.

Could that be done automatically?

• 1 month later...

Linksys Wireless-G USB Network Adapter (model WUSB54G (EU/LA/UK))

Have just installed the two files as outlined in the OP's first post. I read ALL the pages in this thread which contains all the information i needed to get it connected and the usb re-plug feature to work. The two attached pictures show the system profile of the wireless adapter and the wireless usb network application showing that i am currently using WPA2 security. The OS i'm using is OSX 10.4.11

grab1.tiff

grab2.tiff

Update: Further use has revealed that the re-plug does not actually work and the WPA2 security feature is very unreliable. It takes approximately 4 logon tries before it connects properly to the router.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Would like to push this and request a 64bit version! Finally installed Snow Leopard and need WLAN now! Would be very awful if I couldn't use 64bit because of my WLAN device :/

Agreed, also looking for a 64-bit compatible driver for my RT2760 chipset WiFi card for Snow Leopard. My RT2760 and my Atheros5212 both work only in 32 bit mode.

Does anyone know of any working 64-bit WiFi PCI cards? I'm ready to go buy one at this point :P

• 5 weeks later...

In Snow Leopard, install of the original (0.12) driver package works (and the internet connection works), but when trying to install the updated version (0.15), it would say "Installation Failed" with a yellow exclamation mark. :D I did not get this error in Leopard (10.5.6). :wacko:

I am using Mac OS X 10.6.1 in 32-bit mode (I have a 64-bit Intel CPU), and the device I am using is the Buffalo WLI-U2-KG54 (USB) which is based on Ralink RT2500 chipset.

What is causing the updated driver installation to fail in Snow Leopard? :(

I will upload (as an attachment) a screenshot of the error soon (I'm typing this from Windows now).

EDIT: Screenshot is now in attachment. Also, I'm waiting for a 64-bit version of this driver.

post-422798-1259274192_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I recently updated to Snow Leopard today, and had major issues getting my Zonet ZEW2500P USB adapter to connect to the internet. This adapter uses the Ralink 2500 chipset. Well, I stumbled upon a post in this thread where a user accidentally downloaded the RT2870 driver and then installed the package available on here, and bang, it worked for him. So I decided I'd try that method as well. I had no luck using the drivers here, so I removed ALL the RT-related kexts from System/Library/Extensions folder.

I hopped onto the Ralink website and downloaded the USB RT2870 driver... available here:

http://www.ralinktech.com/license_us.php?n...HdNZz09Qw%3D%3D

I ran the install tool from the 10.6 folder, and restarted the computer, yes 64 bit. I booted with -v and the last thing to show up was the USB utility... hmmm, interesting. So sure enough, the OS booted and up popped the Ralink Utility. Even more shocking... available connections!! Last but not least... I was able to connect to my router, and successfully obtain an IP address. The last step was hopping into the "System Preferences" and clicking on the "Network" icon. It found my new adapter... all I had to do was double click on it. BANG. Working like a charm with a WPA connection... yes INTERNET TOO!

Good luck to all the others. Sadly the 2870 driver might work for anybody unable to get the 2500 working. Sure as hell worked for me.

Brad

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I recently updated to Snow Leopard today, and had major issues getting my Zonet ZEW2500P USB adapter to connect to the internet. This adapter uses the Ralink 2500 chipset. Well, I stumbled upon a post in this thread where a user accidentally downloaded the RT2870 driver and then installed the package available on here, and bang, it worked for him. So I decided I'd try that method as well. I had no luck using the drivers here, so I removed ALL the RT-related kexts from System/Library/Extensions folder.

I hopped onto the Ralink website and downloaded the USB RT2870 driver... available here:

http://www.ralinktech.com/license_us.php?n...HdNZz09Qw%3D%3D

I ran the install tool from the 10.6 folder, and restarted the computer, yes 64 bit. I booted with -v and the last thing to show up was the USB utility... hmmm, interesting. So sure enough, the OS booted and up popped the Ralink Utility. Even more shocking... available connections!! Last but not least... I was able to connect to my router, and successfully obtain an IP address. The last step was hopping into the "System Preferences" and clicking on the "Network" icon. It found my new adapter... all I had to do was double click on it. BANG. Working like a charm with a WPA connection... yes INTERNET TOO!

Good luck to all the others. Sadly the 2870 driver might work for anybody unable to get the 2500 working. Sure as hell worked for me.

Brad

I managed to install the ralink mac drivers for my RT2870 key but the N speed does not work. It is stuck in 2.4G mode and cannot be modified (greyed out) in the ralink utility. on the other end i have a time capsule that delivers wifi N.