New Ralink RT2500-USB Driver [a la Airport Driver] - V 1.5

Prasys

381 posts in this topic

can anyone please upload the files, the ones in Orignal Post are not working.

Thanks

EDIT!!

Yay thanks to my uber searching skills i found them, for anyone who still looking for them:

http://rapidshare.com/files/99361138/ralinkv015.zip

http://rapidshare.com/files/99361102/Ralin...Wizard.mpkg.zip

Now to see if they work with my usb wireless!!!

Can anybody on Leopard get the replug to work? lmaurad? anyone currently trying? It appears the file is corrupt and doesn't want to install. I am connected to the internet however on my hax. Wooo hoo!

I might have to reinstall leopard just to see if i can do it again in case i lose it all anyway.

i think these were my steps... Zephyroth's 10.5.2 install comes with wusb54g drivers, but they don't work straight out, so then i installed prasys package that lmaurad found, which didn't work. then i installed the ralink's default, which crashed so i had to login safe mode (maybe because i didn't uninstall prasys), then reinstalled the single RT2500USBWirelessDriver.pkg individually and edited the plist file as done by Lkr on osx86forum followed his directions, rebooted and replugged my usb and bam! there it was. finally!

no luck with the fake airport icon or the replug. hope that works better in the future for all of us. kudos to prasys, Lkr, and thomas for putting time into it.

i'll try to retrace my steps better to see if i can reconnect after install.

same for me, kind of working.

i'm going to reinstall and not add the "extras." the rt2500wirelessdriver works perfectly and stays connected. the rt2500replug works, but it slows my system boot tremendously. I'd rather physically unplug it. It also kernel panics if I don't have the usb adapter setup. sometimes it randomly panics on boot, having to boot -x. the fake airport icon would be awesome if it worked. i see it glitch in and out, but that's probably because my graphics aren't working natively either. wish i could see your work prasys.

ps. i had to modify the info.plist in the rt2500usbwirelessdriver for it to work.

hope everyone else had better luck on leopard. am using an amd btw.

yeaa, u get network droppage with this driver as well as alot of other issues....sometimes i have to boot with -legacy -f to get it to work but its still not exactly working properly...im just gonna go buy a compatible card elsewhere

It's not working on Leopard 10.5.1 installation.

It detects the USB dongle (Linksys WUSB54G), but won't find any network in range.

Can anyone help with this?

i mainly got it to work with the help of this method.

you can use prasys drivers, but you may want to extract them individually and only do the drivers and the replug.

instead of installing the package (i think it's the ralinkv015 file) control/click and click open/show package contents. the seek the RT2500USBWirelessDrivers.pkg. Install that alone and follow the directions at the link. That worked for me.

• 2 weeks later...

i have a build-in rt 2500 usb chipset. yes build in. its on my mobo.

prasys patch recognized the device and i could connect to the router but i didnt get any ip

i used attemps method to set up an ip manually, but recieving packages still fails

any suggestions?

Interesting macgirl, those drivers are not posted on the english section. In fact most of their mac drivers are out of date on the english page. Have you tested them? Prasys are they of any use? I'm using WUSB54G usb and I hate replugging it. It would be great if it works on boot.

There is the same link for the USB(RT2870) and USB(RT257x/RT2671):

And of course nothing works on my RT2500 based USB Adapter under Leopard 10.5.0

It's even don't recognized by the Ralink USBWirelesUtility.

Maybe that's why they didn't update the English version of Download page...

There is the same link for the USB(RT2870) and USB(RT257x/RT2671):

And of course nothing works on my RT2500 based USB Adapter under Leopard 10.5.0

It's even don't recognized by the Ralink USBWirelesUtility.

Maybe that's why they didn't update the English version of Download page...

My RT71 USB works with Leo.

• 2 weeks later...
Looking into the drivers

I'll take sometime for me as i am quite busy these days..But I'll promise that you'll get your drivers [PCIers]

There has been no update from Prasys in over a year. I think it's safe to say the RT2500 PCI drivers project is dead. The new "official" RaLink drivers for Leo (taiwan website) don't work on my Hawking HWP54G card (vendor 0x1814 device 0x0201). Maybe the driver itself works but the Wireless Utility doesn't. It says "No device!!!".

I fixed the "No device!!" problem in the wireless utility but RaLink's Rt2500 drivers "for Mac OS X v10.5" are worthless. I did a little investigating and found that the actual 10.5 driver binary, the one in the kext, is exactly the same as the one in the 10.4 package on their US website. So that's no update at all.

Then there's the utility daemon which starts up the wireless util when the system boots. The one for 10.5 is different from the 10.4 one. The only problem is the 10.5 version doesn't work. It doesn't launch the wireless utility. I replaced it with the 10.4 version and now the wireless utility launches after booting.

The Wireless Utility for 10.5 is also different than the one from 10.4. This is the one that says "No device!!!" The problem here is RaLink has 3 "devices" it supports, but when it checks for them it only checks for 2, and the one it misses is the rt2500. What a POS. I actually fixed it with a binary hex editor so that it finds the rt2500 device driver now. No more "No device!!!" messages. It sees the neighboring wireless networks and lets me set up a profile. It even connects to it. The statistics panel of the utility shows a lot of packets transmitted (using Camino or Safari), but nothing coming back. There must be some settings the utility is not setting right. The utility is worthless. The same card works fine under Linux so it's not the hardware.

Feh. Another 2 days wasted.

I believe i have the same problem as BigPimpin.

I rolled back the application to an older one and it connected to my router, wep key worked, and it gave me an IP address (in this case 192.168.1.65). However it wont let me connect via safari at all, and network assistant shows a connection to the ISP but not to the internet or somesuch.

EDIT: Or at least i did :D

Internet is now working perfectly - turns out that for some reason it doesn't like another computer connected to the network..

IP address conflict?

Well that's good to hear, at least for those using WEP. I have to use WPA-PSK. Maybe that narrows down the problem. Unfortunately I don't have any more time to spend on it, but if I find a spare hour I do want to try it that way.

In the meantime I'm looking at an Atheros-based PCI wifi card for 20 bucks. All this so I can have internet access while working on a Broadcom ethernet driver :) that I need so I can do remote gdb kernel debugging.

I believe i have the same problem as BigPimpin.

I rolled back the application to an older one and it connected to my router, wep key worked, and it gave me an IP address (in this case 192.168.1.65). However it wont let me connect via safari at all, and network assistant shows a connection to the ISP but not to the internet or somesuch.

EDIT: Or at least i did :(

Internet is now working perfectly - turns out that for some reason it doesn't like another computer connected to the network..

IP address conflict?

I had the same problem... Only my router didn't give an automatic IP-address, so I manually set up 192.168.0.4 and 255.255.255.0 as Gateway.

It now has 3 green "lights", up to Internet service Provider. But it gets a red light at Internet and Server...

Dunno why?!

How did you fix it?