New Ralink RT2500-USB Driver [a la Airport Driver] - V 1.5

Prasys

381 posts in this topic

Well that's good to hear, at least for those using WEP. I have to use WPA-PSK. Maybe that narrows down the problem. Unfortunately I don't have any more time to spend on it, but if I find a spare hour I do want to try it that way.

In the meantime I'm looking at an Atheros-based PCI wifi card for 20 bucks. All this so I can have internet access while working on a Broadcom ethernet driver ;) that I need so I can do remote gdb kernel debugging.

Can u please uploaded the file that u updated.

I have dwl g510 rev.c PCI on rt2500/rt61 chipset and it say to me no device all the time :)(

Here it is. Unzip it and put it in the Wireless Utility application directory. Rename the old one first and then rename the one in the zip file to "WirelessUtilityCardbusPCI". The change is only 1 byte which you can verify by comparing the files. The utility will detect the card with this patch but I still can't get any apps to work, which is the exact same problem when I use the utility and driver they released last year for Tiger.

• 3 weeks later...

First of all i want to say hello :D

I have a wireless problem, i have iAktos 1.0r3, Linksys USB Wireless Adapter(WUSB54GC), mobo is Striker Extreme, 3GB of Ram, 2x250 HDD, C2Q 6600 and 8800GT.

I tried many of drivers (Ralink 2500), a mod of WirelessUlity and i hav "no device" all the time. I dont know wkat to do now, have any one ideas why it doesn't work? And i also have problem with LAN, my mobo integrated ethernet doesn't work, it is always disconected ;)

Greetings

sebin90

Follow Torley's instructions HERE

http://torley.com/how-i-got-my-wireless-g-...king-with-a-mac

Get the drivers HERE

Mirrored HERE

http://torley.com/files/ralink.dmg

Files mirrored here on InsanelyMac for safety++. :thumbsup_anim::):rolleyes::):):):)

Here's what Torley had to say:

I recently purchased a D-Link WUA-1340 Wireless G USB Adapter. Fresh orange-and-black design, and I was looking forward to plugging it into my iMac G4/800 to get it connected sans cords to my network. Alas, my excitement got the better of me, because upon examining the package contents and sifting through D-Link's site — no Mac driver! I plugged the thing in and it wouldn't light up.

Thus began a trek of arduous googling such as:

USB Wireless Driver Hacking

D-Link WUA-1340 Wireless Adapter with Mac

D-Link WUA Confirmed working 10.4.5

Which USB wireless adaptor has Mac OS X support?

Apparently, I'd come onto a whole minefield of problems before mine. Not wanting to purchase a more expensive AirPort Extreme Card, as it were, the solution lay in chipset manufacturer Ralink's website. After navigating my way past more broken drivers, I finally found the Ralink Macintosh drivers page!

Apparently, there are a lot of wireless devices using those Ralink chipsets.

From here, what I did — your specific details may vary:

Download the "RT2571W/RT2671+RT2500USB" [download mirror] drivers. (I was initially on a wired Ethernet connection so I could do this.)

Install them on your Mac — just as you would any standard program.

Restart.

Insert your Ralink-based wireless USB adapter in a free USB slot. If it has a status indicator light, it should glow like this:

Next, in your main Applications folder, look for "USBWirelessUtility". (It may open automatically after inserting your wireless USB adapter, but it didn't for me.) Open it and look at the different tabs. Since this doesn't use Apple's de facto AirPort means (e.g., putting an icon in the menu bar to indicate signal strength), it's not so intuitive. However, it is more detailed.

Go to Wireless Utility > Site Survey tab and click "CONNECT". (It'll ask you to enter details accordingly. If you have security like WEP turned on, put that info in or you won't be able to connect.)

Go to Apple menu > System Preferences > Network.

From the "Show" popup menu, select "Network Port Configurations".

Click "New".

Click "Port". You'll see something like "Ethernet Adaptor (en1)".

Give it a name, and click "OK".

The port will show up in the list. (I dragged it to the top to give it the highest priority when trying to connect.)

From "Show", select that Ethernet adaptor port.

Under the "TCP/IP" tab, "Configure IPv4" should be "Using DHCP".

Click "Apply Now". Shortly, it should refresh and show you numbers for "IP Address", "Subnet Mask", and "Router". If it doesn't update, you may need to click "Renew DHCP Lease".

After OKing that and waiting a few moments, you should see that you're connected. If everything worked as planned, you're now networked!

I wrote this with the intention of saving troubling for the next poor soul who finds themselves in the same situation — if that's you and it's keeping you from better things like spending time with your lover, I hope this helps. YAYZERAMA!!!!

These instructions worked perfectly with my Belkin FSD7050.

ralink.dmg

• 2 weeks later...

Ok to say it kindly I am a complete OSX86 noob and have no idea where you are going with this and plus ralink moved the site: http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Macintosh.html

I don't know which one of these drivers I need and past that I don't have any idea what to do with the driver once I have it. So a good rt2500 for dummies would be good and I mean you really can't dumb it down enough for me as I only have started to go past my standard Kalyway install (I was so scared to mess with these drivers alone I drilled a hole and ran a 150 ft Coax cable to a second sketchy modem next to my computer instead of using wireless, but I need wireless to connect with my network and screw with my family using Airfoil and AirPort Speakers)

So I opened up the program from Ralink Tech and It cannot find my Belkin F5D7050 anywhere....ARGGGG HELP!!!

So I opened up the program from Ralink Tech and It cannot find my Belkin F5D7050 anywhere....ARGGGG HELP!!!

The good news is there are updated drivers on RaLink's Taiwan website at http://www.ralinktech.com.tw/Home/Support/Macintosh.html where all the release dates are this year.

The bad news is they don't work either.

The worst news is all this has been discussed already earlier in the thread and some people are too lazy to read it.

Yes they are, on FastReply they appear if you hit the emoticons button.

On normal AddReply just a few appear, but you cna select to show all.

Sorry for been OffTopic :)

Hi all,

I got my D-Link DWL-G122 working on my Zepto notebook. It is de DWL-G122 Rev B1 and F/W 1.00.

- First I installed the "USB (RT2870)" driver from http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Macintosh.html . The DWL-G122 has the RT2500 chip, but accedently I installed this one.

The USB WirelessUtility was opening when inserting the G122. But no device was found.

- I installed the "Ralink Wireless Drivers.mpkg" found on this topic.

- Repaired all permission with the Disk Utillity

After that it worked!!! :dev:

• 3 weeks later...

I concur with flipezzzz,

Installing in that order works for in Leopard 10.5.2 on my AMD EFI rev2 version. Now what I need to do is figure out how to get the utility to apply my wireless profile on boot, so I don't have to launch it.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there an unstaller for these drivers ?

Let me explain :

I have a Dlink DWA110 usb that was supposed to have a RT2500 chip inside.

So I tried the official RT, then the Prasys 012 updated 015, but still no luck.

I was so upset that I opened the case and found that the chip was a RT2571.

So now I'm trying to install the RT2571 official drivers but they don't want because it claim that the drivers in the system are more recent (but don't work...).

Moved the usb wireless.app to trash, delete the RT drivers from the system/library/extensions folder. Is there something left in the operating system ?

(and this is why I love the Windows registry).

I also tried all the uninstall.command that I could find with RT drivers and they didn't do best...

Thanks

One of the better things about OS X is that you don't have to worry about a lot of cruft left over in hidden places. You delete the .app directory and the application is gone. You delete the whatever.kext directory from /S/L/Extensions and the driver is gone. Period. No need for an uninstall program.