New Ralink RT2500-USB Driver [a la Airport Driver] - V 1.5

Prasys

381 posts in this topic

Hi all, quite impressed by the ingenuity and perseverance of you clever programmers in dealing with this issue. But perhaps I'm in the wrong forum, I don't know - while trying to get my WUSB54GC to work with my Mac I came across this forum (and don't want to leave - like what I see). As I try to make sense of all the tech talk I come to realize that the majority of you are getting your USB wireless cards to work on a Windoze machine that's running Mac OSX in emulation mode?

For instance, while trying to follow Prasys instructions on the first page on how to install his drivers, I see all this stuff about pressing F8 before Darwin... oh boy.

I'm a Mac user that works on (real) Macs and unfortunately the odd time I need the PeeC. Will the solution posted by Prasys work on a real Mac? If so, could someone please update the instructions. I'm truly lost on this. The extent of my geekiness is limited to a few basic commands in Terminal, so please be detailed as much as you can (I'm sure other even less proficient users will appreciate it)

I just got this Linksys WUSB54GC recently and it works great in the Ibm laptop. The plan is to have it working on the G5 tower.

Specs are as follow: Mac G5 2.3ghz Duo core. One of the drives has Leopard 10.5.1 (preferred system) and the other drive that I often boot into has Tiger 10.4.11. I'd prefer to have this working with Leopard but will gladly settle for Tiger.

The WUSB54GC is as follow (as shown in sys profiler)

Version: 0.01

Bus Power (mA): 500

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Cisco-Linksys

Product ID: 0x0020

Vendor ID: 0x13b1

Thanks in advance.

Hi guys, I'm using Kalyway 10.5.1. And I got a Linksys WUSB54GC. This device used to worked on Tiger with the kext brought by Simania_NL.

Now when I turn to Leopard and using Prasys solution. It got problem. And my status is:

- My Ralink Network ultilities recognize the device and automatically conected to my wireless network.

- However when I get into Preference->Network. It shown that there is no conection at all (dont recognize my device). And of course my Safari can not conect also.

This problem is also come when I use back the solution brought by Simania_NL which I successed with Tiger.

Is there any suggestion? Thanks in advance.

Hey all. Just wanted to post my feedback. I'm using an ASUS WL-167G USB wireless adapter, and installing the packages listed by the OP works perfectly for me!! In fact, its the only thing I've found that will even recognise the USB device! In fact, its the only networking device I can get working at all!Thank you so much for your help Prasys. You've enabled me to start using my new Hackintosh. You're a legend.Oh, just needed to add (in case anyone in my position stumbles across this post): I couldn't get the network device on the Hackintosh to pick up an address from DHCP. So I had to put the settings in manually. After that, all was very well! Thanks!

hi everyone, i just wanted to thank everyone who contributed to this wonderful project! i'm so glad to have something to finally give me wireless internet on leopard. but, excuse my noobness, i have some questions.

i have the wush54gc PID:0020 VID:13b1. i'm not sure if that's good or bad. leopard recognizes my usb and i can connect to the network, but so far the only way to get on it is to enable a new ethernet connection (one of two items titled 'ethernet' b/c usb is not recognized as wifi) and to manually define ip address; it won't get on it's own. and when i can connect it seems very slow.

am i doing something wrong? i follow the instructions of OP. i installed first pack, repaired permissions, then f8 and boot -f for both packages. can my hardware type (prolly v2.1 and not v4) be recognized as airport card?

thanks~

firt Prasys you're excellent - and all helpers

It looks very good, but still it doesn't work. There is one Problem.

I got a D-Link DWL-G122 Rev.c as someone else here ih the thread. (BSD en1)

I downloaded all and installed 'Ralink' and the 'Airport2.menu' - but I do not have a airport station :P (so it's uselesss).

I restartet with f8 and -f. All seems to work perfect. I get my WLAN Network (Fritz BoX 7170) an connect to it, with very good signal.

The Problem is, i get no reply from my router. I created another Ethernet - but it says not connectet! ~why!

So I di not know what you mean with repair its permissions using disk Utility (I'm new with Mac).

I also didn't deinstall the previous drivers!!!

I hope you can help me, I'm so close to the internet :wacko: .

Maybe useful(but german -sry)

http://s1.directupload.net/file/u/14094/vgsnvw5y_png.htm

http://s1.directupload.net/file/u/14094/qkg9v7hx_png.htm

I'm sorry for leral errors - only second language ^^.

Mfg

firt Prasys you're excellent - and all helpers
First, wow! Well done to you. I had trouble figuring out how to get networking working, and the instructions are all in my native tongue! If you're figuring this all out through the haze of English as a second language, all credit to you.

It looks very good, but still it doesn't work. There is one Problem.

I got a D-Link DWL-G122 Rev.c as someone else here ih the thread. (BSD en1)

I downloaded all and installed 'Ralink' and the 'Airport2.menu' - but I do not have a airport station :D (so it's uselesss).

I restartet with f8 and -f. All seems to work perfect. I get my WLAN Network (Fritz BoX 7170) an connect to it, with very good signal.

The Problem is, i get no reply from my router. I created another Ethernet - but it says not connectet! ~why!

I have an ASUS WL-167G USB WiFi dongle. To get any kind of network connectivity, I had to set up a manual IP address in very much the same way it looks like you have done. The only thing I would say is double-check that your settings are correct - specifically your subnet mask and router. I copied these values from my other Mac (my proper Mac) that is connected to the same wireless network. Make sure you give yourself an IP address that isn't already in use.

So I di not know what you mean with repair its permissions using disk Utility (I'm new with Mac).
Mac OS X is basically a version of Unix (similar to Linux - e.g. Ubuntu) and all *nix operating systems have a much stronger concept of file permissions that, say, Windows. Most of the time, this gets in the way! But, for security, certain processes on OS X will only run if their configuration files are 'owned' by a certain administrative user on your system. Basically, repairing file permissions on the Mac runs through all the files on your computer and makes sure that the file permissions are as they should be for the processes to work as they should. Because you're installing drivers and kernel extensions, it is imperative that they have the right security file permissions, or they will not be loaded and your network adapter won't work.

To repair disk permissions, go to:

'/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility', click on your startup disk in the left-hand column and click 'First Aid / Repair Permissions'.

I also didn't deinstall the previous drivers!!!
I'm not sure if this will cause a problem or not. I ended up re-installing from fresh and trying the drivers as my first thing - just to make sure.

I hope you can help me, I'm so close to the internet :rolleyes: .

Maybe useful(but german -sry)

http://s1.directupload.net/file/u/14094/vgsnvw5y_png.htm

http://s1.directupload.net/file/u/14094/qkg9v7hx_png.htm

Hope I was some help!

thank's for the help so far

I did everything exactly as you said.

But, Ralink does only work when I install the 'RTUSB D2870-1.0.1.0b_D71w-1.1.7.0c_D2500-1.1.3.0 UI-1.4.8.0_2007_11_26.dmg' Driver.

So far it works, I can connect to my AVM Fritz!Box 7170 with my ASCII Key.

I looked up the connections to the network with an other computer (windows).

The Stick is connected but something is missing - THE IP ADDRESS !

The Problem is that my settings in Network are useless. I insert IP Adress, Router and so on.

It always says Ethernet isn't connected. - ohh shure it is no ethernet it's wifi!

Maybe it does not ask for a IP Adress? I have no idea.

That's the problem! A good connection but no IP = no internet.

( I use kalyway Leo 10.5.1 !)

EDIT: I found sth. here in the forum. The Revision B1 is RT2500 and the rev. C1 is the RT73 Chip ! maybe helpful!

greetings

i forgot to update my post; it works!

well, replug doesnt, but that's ok.

everything but the little airport icon in the menu bar is ok!

at first it wasn't working; the usbwirelessutility would say that i was connected and had a strong signal, but i couldn't browse the internet and safari didn't work.

then i went into network settings and deleted the firewire connection (wth is that anyway??) and added one called ethernet 3 from the dropdown box (the options: ethernet, ethernet, firewire; so i guess i just had to pick the right 'ethernet' since the usb was recognized as ethernet and not wifi or w/e). once i did that nothing happen, but after awhile and after a little hiccuping, it started! slow at first and unstable, but now it seems to be working ok!

thanks to everyone in this thread and on this forum!

btw:

kalyway 10.5.1

linksys usb wusb54gc

PID:0020

VID:13b1

does anyone else get kernel panics using this in 10.5.1 kalyway? sometimes i can go for 2 days with nothing.. works fine, then sometimes, once every hour or so, bang, kernel panic. but it isnt being written into a panic.log ???

hardware - ga-p35-ds3p, e2160, dwl-g122, 2gb ram

Hi guys,

I figured out one or the worst problem with a usb wifi device with Leopard.

I read the last posts and everyone has the same problem. (me too :) )

We can connect to our wifi network very well (with this excellent software) but we can't connect to the internet.

The Problem is that our router can't give us a IP - there is a problem with the DHCP or Leo can't use it correctly.

I will be helpful when the Ralink software can set the usb device as used wifi device for Leo.

I'm at this point.

The software is working and I'm connected to my wifi network.

Can someone explaine how I have to set up Leo (maybe in Network configuration). I'm not a beginner in networking!!

- and when it's done, we can set it at the first post ^^

Here is an overview - I'm connected but can't use teh internet!

http://s6.directupload.net/file/u/14094/obsn7jie_png.htm

PS: I recognized that the Mac address used in Ethernet (network) is en0 but the Mac of my USB Device is en1. How can I bring my computer to use this mac for ethernet? I think thats the problem.

PLEASE HELP - I WANNA HAVE INTERNET!

best regards

I have installed Prasys package and works great.

My router is recognized and i get connected.

But when i start safari, i get no internet.

How can i internet, please help. What is the problem i can not understand how come i am connected but no internet.

You are my last hope.

Thanks a lot

The problem whenever i try to add a service using system preferences>network, i get by default the mac address of my onboard ethernet connection and i can not change it.

The same for me the device is getting a bsd name assigned en1, but there is no way to define a service under system preferences>network that uses that device.

Please anyone help how can we fix this

does someone found a solution?

I tried the driver with a DWL-G122 Rev. B but this one did not find my wifi network.

Come on guys, I know that someone here can help us.

If not I will ask Prasys directly ^^

The Problem is, that I can connect to my Network but I can't use Internet. There no real data exchange.

In Network settings, Ethernet is set as not connected. I don't no why.

please help

thank's for the help so far

I did everything exactly as you said.

But, Ralink does only work when I install the 'RTUSB D2870-1.0.1.0b_D71w-1.1.7.0c_D2500-1.1.3.0 UI-1.4.8.0_2007_11_26.dmg' Driver.

So far it works, I can connect to my AVM Fritz!Box 7170 with my ASCII Key.

I looked up the connections to the network with an other computer (windows).

The Stick is connected but something is missing - THE IP ADDRESS !

The Problem is that my settings in Network are useless. I insert IP Adress, Router and so on.

It always says Ethernet isn't connected. - ohh shure it is no ethernet it's wifi!

Maybe it does not ask for a IP Adress? I have no idea.

That's the problem! A good connection but no IP = no internet.

( I use kalyway Leo 10.5.1 !)

EDIT: I found sth. here in the forum. The Revision B1 is RT2500 and the rev. C1 is the RT73 Chip ! maybe helpful!

greetings

Hi, schau mal nach, ob Du in der FritzBox die Funktion "neue WLAN Geräte zulassen" angeklickt hast? Das war auch bei mir das Problem, bis ichs dann endlich selbst herausgefunden habe.

Vorgehensweise: in Fritz.Box einloggen unter System "Netzwerkgeräte" ist die Funktion rechts unten zu sehen.

Der Prasys Treiber mit der AirPort Optik funktioniert tadellos mit D-Link DLW-G 122 Revision C. Nur das Replug nach dem Neustart stört mich noch.

Hoffe ich konnte helfen!?

Gruß Martin

when i used this program, i had the same issue as you and several others; i had a connection, but i wasn't being recognized or given in ip address. what i did, what i got to work (since my revision model isn't recognized as airport wireless card) is to enable it in the network preferences pane. the thing for me was that leopard didn't distinguish between my network card and my usb; it called them both 'ethernet,' so what i had to do is make sure that BOTH entries for ethernet are visible in the left hand side pane of the System Preferences > Network pane. if you do not have the entry for your usb card (if you haven't yet added it) then i dunno if it would work. so, here's what i did:

Goto System Preferences.

Goto Network.

Gaze upon the entries on the left and look for the label, 'ethernet' and if you see it highlight it and click 'advanced' in the lower right part of the pane.

Then click on the 'ethernet' tab; the 'ethernet id' is the mac address of the hardware item that uses that connection (if i understand correctly)

Does this ethernet id match your mac to your usb card?

If it does and you have automatic DHCP enabled, then post back and maybe we can figure out why it's not working. Might hafta try out manual.

If it does not, then click cancel and look at the connections on the the left of the Main Window of the Preferences pane.

You should see a "+" sign, click it. You should now see your drop down of connections that you have the ability to add. Ethernet will prolly be listed several times, too. See if you can find out which one is the "ethernet" linked to your usb card. If your usb card is receiving a signal, then it's probably recognized by the System Profiler.app in your Utilities (cmd + shift + u; when in finder). goto network and see if you can see it in there (you may not if it has to be added to the Network Preferences first). If you don't then just go back to Network Preferences pane and add all the entries "ethernet" and see if your mac address for usb comes up. if it does, then prolly wait a sec and your router will give you an ip. if it doesn't post back

just a side note, i've only been using networking in mac for a few days, so i could be horribly wrong. nothing i've said, that i know of, will ruin your mac, or your network, so if you have a brave heart, try it; it worked for me!

post back if it works or not, maybe someone more skilled here than me can help.

kalyway 10.5.1

linksys usb wusb54gc

PID:0020

VID:13b1

working.

Hi guys,

I figured out one or the worst problem with a usb wifi device with Leopard.

I read the last posts and everyone has the same problem. (me too -_- )

We can connect to our wifi network very well (with this excellent software) but we can't connect to the internet.

The Problem is that our router can't give us a IP - there is a problem with the DHCP or Leo can't use it correctly.

I will be helpful when the Ralink software can set the usb device as used wifi device for Leo.

I'm at this point.

The software is working and I'm connected to my wifi network.

Can someone explaine how I have to set up Leo (maybe in Network configuration). I'm not a beginner in networking!!

- and when it's done, we can set it at the first post ^^

Here is an overview - I'm connected but can't use teh internet!

http://s6.directupload.net/file/u/14094/obsn7jie_png.htm

PS: I recognized that the Mac address used in Ethernet (network) is en0 but the Mac of my USB Device is en1. How can I bring my computer to use this mac for ethernet? I think thats the problem.

PLEASE HELP - I WANNA HAVE INTERNET!

best regards

Hey dude! The new drivers and software is working like a charm.... thanks so so much on it!!! U're the man!!!

Well, for wish list, i was hoping to get a new revamp on the GUI..... the current GUI looks quite boring... maybe u can help spice it up?? maybe make it look more integrated with the OS... more Appleish or something....

Thanks!! Will be willing to beta test all versions for you if neccessary......

EDIT: Just my 2 cents worth... maybe the dock icon could be designed to look cool too... ;) currently its just using airport config util icon....

shut the #$%& up say thanks for all the hard work he has done i wish i had drivers working like you.

I would be more than happy if anyoen has a solution for this problem: I use Buffalo USB wireless dongle and it used to work on OS X 10.4.8. I got into the same trouble as other mentioned in this forum!

Please also reply to kitalou@yahoo.com

Well I can report that this driver (v1.5) is working for me on Kalyway 10.5.1 with an ASUS WL-167G. When I first tried it I had all the DCHP errors that others have reported, but I've since done a clean install of Kalyway, and it now works! I think my problem was too many attempts with other drivers, some of you might want to try rolling back a bit with time machine to before you installed any and try that. Don't know if that's what fixed it though.

Doing a quick search turned up a lot of regular mac users also having the DHCP problem with 10.5.1, so hopefully it'll get fixed in 10.5.2 and the rest of you won't have the problems anymore.

@ Prasys >>> nice job for the GUI look (cool)

But Im still having problem when using RALink and your driver on my WL-167g

- Signal is ok > status connected but no DHCP ( no IP address is given ) any ideas ? ?????

- on my System Preferences i cant find new network device listed where i can manually add IP address

I trying to find a way maybe i can manually add static IP address any idea how to i forget ;(

My Wireless >>>> USB\VID_041E&PID_4068&MI_00\6&29B7258F&0&0000

It's almost 12:30am haven't stop looking for an answer since my last post at 10am

Status when using PRASYS nice RAlink Drivers ( PS. follow the steps given by Prasys at the beginning of this post ) was Wireless can be detected but no IP address given most common problem.

< Testing if Driver really works >

I tried manually adding IP address on the USB wireless by using the ff. command ( my wireless is en1 )

>> sudo ifconfig en1 inet 192.168.**.** netmask 255.255.255.0 up

>> ifconfig ( check if there is an IP address given for you en1 )

>> ping your gateway eg. ping 192.168.**.1 --> mine is 192.168.**.1 and walahhh there is a reply.....

I now found the solution to enable the DHCP feature and list the network profile on System Preferences.

Wireless Model : Asus WL-167g

USB\VID_041E&PID_4068&MI_00\6&29B7258F&0&0000

Problem :

- Unable to resolve IP address using DHCP

- No Network Profile is loaded at System Preferences > Network

Solution :

- Follow Prasys Procedure at the beginning of this thread

- Restart system -f on boot

- Copy the attach kext on /System/Library/Extensions

- replace RT73USBWireless and IONetworkingFamily ( Note : this has been tested only for WL-167g im not sure if this will work with other usb cards )

- repair disk permission by >> sudo diskUtil repairPermissions /

- restart system >> hope this will help

PS : once you restart goto System Preferences > Network > check if there is a new Profile ( Ethernet Adaptor en1 ) try to enable DHCP and renew IP if still don't work.

Goto Advance button > WINS tab > add NetBIOS Name same as your LAN Ethernet (en0) then OK --- > this works for me hope this works for you --- ENJOY ----

Kext.zip

Hi _Prasys_ and All,

I've been looking for the solution of WMP54G v.4.1 and I looked at the date to where you started fixing the drivers and its almost one year.. hehe.. I hope you still doing it.. We appreciate what you are doing.. Hope you we can hear from you soon..

Thanks! :(