[pre-release] macOS Mojave 10.14.5

gengik84

166 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, CMMChris said:

@Wackymac Yup, VideoProc. And yes it is broken on 10.14.5. Neither H.264 nor H.265 works. But that also applies to other GPUs, not just Vega. Will report how it goes with the next betas. I am running the in productive mode for a couple of months now. ;)

yeah, i just went back to 10.14.4 no hardware encoding is a no go for me.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2019 at 10:31 AM, CMMChris said:

@Wackymac Yup, VideoProc. And yes it is broken on 10.14.5. Neither H.264 nor H.265 works. But that also applies to other GPUs, not just Vega. Will report how it goes with the next betas. I am running the in productive mode for a couple of months now. ;)

Are you sure about that?

Untitled.thumb.png.87adb2f6d71d6083844a122c437ba33c.png

IGPU only works. Just if you have a DGPU inside your machine GVA stops working both standalone and IGPU Confirmed for these constellations so far:
- Vega 64 Standalone

- RX560 Standalone

- RX570 Standalone

- RX580 Standalone

- Vega 64 + UHD630

- RX560 + UHD630

- RX570 + UHD630

- RX570 + UHD620

- RX580 + UHD630

Using Quick Sync + AppleGVA framwork of 10.14.4 brings at least H.264 back to life, H.265 remains dead.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CMMChris said:

IGPU only works. Just if you have a DGPU inside your machine GVA stops working both standalone and IGPU Confirmed for these constellations so far:
- Vega 64 Standalone 

- RX560 Standalone

- RX570 Standalone

- RX580 Standalone

- Vega 64 + UHD630 

- RX560 + UHD630

- RX570 + UHD630

- RX570 + UHD620

- RX580 + UHD630

Using Quick Sync + AppleGVA framwork of 10.14.4 brings at least H.264 back to life, H.265 remains dead.

you have patience for dealing with that one :hysterical:

Strange, you are the first guy I see with working video acceleration on 10.14.5 Beta 1 with DGPU + IGPU. Can you please test if it work for you without IGPU as well? And what platform ID do you use for your IGPU?

Edited by CMMChris

@CMMChris

10.14.5 beta 1 + RX550 + HD630(59120003) = work fine.

iMac-Sergey:~ ctich$ /Volumes/progi/VDADecoderCheckerSierra ; exit;

GVA info: Successfully connected to the Intel plugin, offline Gen95

Hardware acceleration is fully supported

logout

And for tons of other users including me it doesn't work anymore... Actually the majority. Strange!

Edit: Could you please check RX550 hardware encoders? They are now natively supported in 10.14.5. Disable your IGPU for that.

If you use iMac18,2 SMBIOS you need to add Whatevergreen and those boot args: shikigva=32 und shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94

Edited by CMMChris

9 hours ago, CMMChris said:

Strange, you are the first guy I see with working video acceleration on 10.14.5 Beta 1 with DGPU + IGPU. Can you please test if it work for you without IGPU as well? And what platform ID do you use for your IGPU?

don't have any problem

MaLd0n 2019-04-03 às 14.49.40.png

MaLd0n 2019-04-03 às 14.49.46.png

MaLd0n 2019-04-03 às 14.50.49.png

• Like 3

@MaLd0n Strange what's going on there. Over at the German hackintosh-forum, nobody got acceleration working on the 10.14.5 Beta 1. Could you run a test with disabled IGPU? Apple added native support for video acceleration to the Polaris drivers, no dummy kext needed anymore. If you don't run on the iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS you need to add Whatevergreen and boot-args shikigva=32 as well as shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94 so the correct AppleGVA parameters are used.

21 hours ago, CMMChris said:

@MaLd0n Strange what's going on there. Over at the German hackintosh-forum, nobody got acceleration working on the 10.14.5 Beta 1. Could you run a test with disabled IGPU? Apple added native support for video acceleration to the Polaris drivers, no dummy kext needed anymore. If you don't run on the iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS you need to add Whatevergreen and boot-args shikigva=32 as well as shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94 so the correct AppleGVA parameters are used.

I don't have it on my Vega FE. No igpu (X299)

Screenshot 2019-04-05 07.16.40.png

And why is my metal - supported line different now???

Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily2 v1

360713287_Screenshot2019-04-0507_37_19.png.6167593ae953d824dc352b96d133d10f.png

Edited by surfinchina
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Moviemakergr said:

For sure.. :yes:

Hardware acceleration on H.264 is exclusively from Intel and iGpu.

Ahh. I'm a bit slow lol.

I do have a lot of Chrome crashes though. And a couple of kernel panics.

Loving the lack of coil whine though!

• Haha 1

On 4/4/2019 at 1:43 AM, Moviemakergr said:

What u meen disabled ?

Disable from bios ? or from clover not ejecting ?

i have try the same if not ejecting from clover i have too Hardware acceleration,

but if disabling from bios i do not have for sure.. !

iGPU disabled from BIOS.

12 hours ago, Moviemakergr said:

Sorry mate .. that is impossible.

Intel Quick Sync Video is Intel's brand for its dedicated video encoding and decoding hardware core. Quick Sync was introduced with the Sandy Bridge CPU microarchitecture on 9 January 2011, and has been found on the die of Intel products ever since.

The name "Quick Sync" refers to the use case of quickly transcoding ("converting") a video from, for example, a DVD or Blu-ray Disc to a format appropriate to, for example, a smartphone.  This becomes critically important in the professional video workplace, in which source material may have been shot in any number of video formats, all of which must be brought into a common format (commonly H.264) for inter-cutting.

Unlike video encoding on a CPU or a general-purpose GPU, Quick Sync is a dedicated hardware core on the processor die. This allows for a much more power efficient video processing.

It's not impossible. MacOS hides the details of hardware accelerated video encoding behind an API and most modern video cards also have dedicated on-board silicon for video decoding/encoding. It's usually not just an implementation of the encoder on the general purpose GPU, there's actual chip real estate dedicated to that function.

Depending on which board id you have set, macOS may or may not use intel quick sync. Some board ids will prefer to use the dedicated GPU's encoder. There's probably some that won't use the dedicated one at all and just do software.

There's NO WAY for the software to request which hardware encoder to use; macOS picks for you. All you can do is request a hardware accelerated h264 or hevc encoder. There's not even a way to tell which one you got (well, there is if you enable AppleGVA debugging output, but that's just via something printed to the logs, not via an API). It's entirely possible to disable the iGPU and have something like videoproc detect hardware accelerated encoding; the apple API is just creating an encoder on the dedicated GPU (probably an AMD card in this case?)

It's important to keep in mind that tools like videoproc or VDADecoderChecker can only test for the existence of hardware accelerated video decode/encode. So even if VideoProc says something like 'intel UHD graphics', that DOESN'T mean that's what the video encoder is using. On most SMBIOS/board-ids it probably is, but there are some that favor the dedicated GPU's encoder over the intel one (mainly ones that don't have iGPUs in the shipping apple hardware)

Some software labels the hardware encoder as 'intel Quick sync' but they are just making an assumption that the hardware encoder is QSV. There's no way to verify via any supported API I've found.

Note that starting with 10.14.4 it seems that the com.apple.AppleGVA forceATI/forceIntel keys also apply to the encoders, so you can force system-wide use of the AMD encoder+decoder if you'd like.

17 minutes ago, Moviemakergr said:

I'm talking about Intel quicksync, and not for other decoders (hardware or software) If they exist. ( a link with hardware h.264 encoding from other manufacturer would help as)

and recorded in Intel power gadget with a green line "GFX" if that works.

1135298354_Intel_Power_Gadget.jpg.603ce7e6f4ab04979788b107dc6c7cd2.jpg

Any Way i don't have any prob with that, but is impossible to have disabled the iGpu from bios and Intel quicksync hardware acceleration to works. That is the point.

The user you were replying to showed a VideoProc screenshot that indicated hardware encoding was enabled, but their iGPU was disabled. It means the system selected the AMD encoder instead.

I think there's a lot of assumption that 'hardware encoder' means 'intel Quicksync' but that's no longer the case. Unfortunately we have no way to easily test which encoder is actually used, other than annoying cpu/gpu utilization graphs. However, there is a slightly better way. I suggest everyone trying to test video encoder capabilities run these two commands:

defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA enableSyslog -bool YES

defaults write com.apple.appleGVA gvaDebug -bool YES

Now, open Console.app, and in the top right search area, type 'GVA'. Then start VideoProc or any other program you know uses hardware encoding. You should eventually see a line like this:

GVA info: plugin is ATI. 

or this:

GVA info: plugin is INTEL KBL, offline. (offline means a headless/connectorless iGPU)

If you want to force which encoder (and decoder) to use:

defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA forceATI -bool YES

defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA forceIntel -bool YES

to go back to original, default settings:

defaults delete com.apple.AppleGVA

or if you want to keep the debugging:

defaults delete com.apple.AppleGVA forceATI

forceATI still requires the video card's kext have the proper plist entries, but at least if it does this allows you to switch between intel and AMD encoder/decoders even on systems that have the offlineRenderer attribute in the AppleGVA plist. Easier than rebooting with different WEG kernel args for setting the board-id, at least. 

I really wish Apple would just let the VTCompressionSession API expose an enumeration of ALL hardware encoders on the system so we could write software that lets users choose between different ones. Instead you just get 'h264 - hardware' or 'h264 - software' grr.

• Like 2

hack 1 signature

SMBIOS iMacPro1,1
-wegoff
-disablegfxfirmware
device/fake ID --> 0x3E988086
ig-platform-id --> 0x3E980003
inject intel spuntato/flaggato

Schermata 2019-04-08 alle 20.50.55.png

Schermata 2019-04-08 alle 20.51.33.png

Edited by iCanaro
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, MorenoAv said:

Update made, really easy and smooth...

But is hilarious... in my about this Mac says iMac 19,1 and at the bottom it says AC's Mac mini... lol

Captura de ecrã 2019-04-08, às 19.45.41.png

Captura de ecrã 2019-04-08, às 19.46.08.png

The iMac reference is based on your SMBIOS.  The MacMini reference at the bottom of System Information is based on your computer name in Sharing preferences.

• Like 1