Hackintool v3.x.x

headkaze
1,057 posts in this topic

On 10/31/2019 at 8:51 AM, Alex HQuest said:

Display information: Much better :)
The Bluetooth firmware is still not reflected.
The PCI IOReg Name column thing is still not wide enough for these two display lines.

Pictures for them all.

A new version has been released. The BT firmware upload issue is with BrcmPathRAM3 and hopefully @Mieze will add the registry entry to check for this.

I did add some more width to the IOReg Name column too.

• Like 2

Hackintool v2.8.6 Released
- Improved framebuffer enumeration, updated codecs and pci.ids
- Add "Show Installed Only" option for installed kexts
- Fix crash in getEDIDData

- Fix Import KextsToPatch

Edited by headkaze
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to follow the instructions for the USBports kext.

It says to use the IA boot args include hs01, hs02, but dont quite get it about the mouse and keyboard. On a laptop. Boot arg exclude SS I still see those. Boot args not working?

It says to use RM's fakePCIID for xMUX for the type of controller the machine has 8086 1E31

I think I followed the instructions, but when at the part to plug in the devices, nothings highlighted but

the internals pr11, 21- thats the hubs right?

Thanks for the cool app

EDIT Maybe should post in a different location? Any suggestion?

debug_11016.zip

Edited by chummdoggin

• 2 weeks later...

@headkaze Are you willing to discuss EDID / CEA Extensions regarding the Display Overrides generated by hackintool? Sorry if this is not the right place.

Summary:
Tried to get Nightshift going on 3840x1600 monitor,
I succeeded but I noticed aspect ratio not being treated correctly in Acrobat Reader DC - document is rendered stretched horizontally by the difference of real 12:5 vs overridden 16:10.
Monitor and pixel aspect ratio are treated fine everywhere except Acrobat Reader DC.
Color capability may have been a red herring on this monitor.

Things that could come out of this:
1. hackintool should "maintain aspect ratio" by NOT modifying certain EDID fields when injecting apple display info
Basic Display Parameters->Maximum horizontal image size and Maximum vertical image size
should not be changed. Some applications clearly care about these fields - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC was the one I found.
these are byte 21 and 22 (starting from byte[0]) in the EDID.
In this way, non 16:9/10 ratio monitors will be supported properly.

rambling detail:
I have been looking into getting nightshift working, but I have one of these ultrawides - a 38" 3840x1600 75Hz Acer XR382cqk, that doesn't have an aspect ratio that matches any apple displays. It is great, but no nightshift.
I verified nightshift was working/enabled by macos - works on a cheap samsung 1366x768p tv.
When both are connected, nightshift controls appear on the samsungs system pref pane, and nightshift only applies to the samsung.

I compared EDID data for the following, for clues as to what apple is looking for for nightshift - color capability flags was my guess:
Samsung (no override), HDMI RVII
-not marked as Television in system information
 NIGHTSHIFT WORKS

Acer 382 (no override), DP RVII 
-IS marked as Television in system information
  NO NIGHTSHIFT

Acer 382 (patch-edid override, forces RGB and strips all CEA extension blocks)
 NO NIGHT SHIFT

Acer 382 (hackintool override, forces rgb, and injects imac 27" retina info), DP RVII
-not marked as Television in system information
  NIGHTSHIFT WORKS
  BUT Adobe Reader renders documents stretched horizontally.

I noticed there are several things going on.
-the samsung DOES support RGB, YCC444, but not YCC422.
the acer supports all 3.
However as far as I could tell, this was not the cause of my nightshift failure.
-patchedid strips the cea extension block completely, does not inject apple info, and keeps the colorimetry and aspect ratio from the real acer edid, it doesn't fool macos into giving me nightshift. I dont recall if the acer was still marked as a television.
-hackintool empties the extension block but it is still there, injects apple info, changes the info, including the aspect ratio to that of the apple display, nightshift works, acrobat scales badly.

The thing that finally got me where I want to be was modifying the hackintool produced override - using AWEDIDEditor.
I set the Basic Display Paramaters > max hor and max vertical to their original values for this screen. 88 and 37.
AWEDID gives full length EDIDs regardless of whether you use the extension blocks. I truncated the resulting hex after the first checksum, ie. before the extension blocks which were empty anyway, and converted to base64 and pasted into the override file. Rebuild ket cache, Rebooted and Now I have nightshift and acrobat scales documents correctly.

Current behaviour is that after rebooting and replugging displays, nightshift controls moved to the acer (primary display), and when enabled they affect BOTH displays. SAMSUNG pref pane no longer has nightshift tab, but it has nightshift and follows the primary displays setting - I dont have a real mac, but I'm guessing this is correct behaviours.

as a final note, at no time was I unhappy with image/text quality on this display aside from stretched pdfs. I dont think it was ever running in YCC444 or 422 but cant verify.

I have attached hex blocks of the edids if you want to investigate, or if my explanation wasnt good.

AcerXR382 hackintool+aspectfix EDID.txt

AcerXR382 hackintool EDID.txt

AcerXR382 patch-edid EDID.txt

SAMSUNG EDID.txt

AcerXR382-EDID.txt

25 minutes ago, arpaterson said:

to add to the above, I also thought that colorimetry info should probably be retained from the original EDID when injecting apple info. but I am not sure / haven't investigated how Hackintool handles that with its different settings.

The source to Hackintool is available on Github. The file(s) you would be looking for are FixEDID.m and FixEDID.h

The header file contains the EDID struct. If you do a binary compare of your modified EDID files it should tell you the offsets so you can then figure out what fields are changed in the EDID struct. That should make it much easier to add some sort of setting.

• Like 1

Hi @headkaze hope you are well ! Thanks again for releasing v2.8.6

Please, are we supposed to get a red colour with newer kexts available?
I have checked the option to show only installed; but seems I get the green line despite having new kexts to download.

Please see image.

Is this to be expected?

Many thanks!

NewKextsNotRed.png

1 hour ago, MacKonsti said:

I have checked the option to show only installed; but seems I get the green line despite having new kexts to download.

You have the latest release versions which still highlight green. Compiling the latest Github version is up to you.

• Like 2

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9980XE CPU @ 3.00GHz

@headkaze

If you can please  update get AppleIntel info because i9 9980XE CPU I can’t get info Its panic.

Thanks Team.

239338379_ScreenShot2019-12-01at4_39_47AM.png.f3c90ca2a7d68ce9f7a2c850f3fd25f7.png541357866_ScreenShot2019-12-01at4_36_22AM.thumb.png.1a724dac97565a55e002632f3bbd7168.png

@headkaze With the release of VoodooPS2Controller.kext version 2.1.0, the kext will no longer work without an additional new kext known as VoodooInput.kext.  Here is the link to it.  

https://github.com/kprinssu/VoodooInput

I'm not sure whether you want to do anything about the fact that these two kexts need to be used together or leave that to the kext developers and users but you do need to add VoodooInput to the available kexts to install.

Edited by mnfesq
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, hi again @headkaze and thanks for your continuing work on Hackintool.

I have been experimenting with installations of Catalina on my MSI Z97i-AC motherboard, and was looking around for USBInjectAll guides etc. and I realised that RehabMan's repo hasn't been updated since a year ago, his version remains at 0.7.1.

But on another forum, I found out that a user called Sniki (not sure if it's the same @Sniki here? would be great to ask him/her!) has forked RehabMan's code and continued his work to release 0.7.3 that includes 4 new Mac machines:

• "MacBookPro15,3"

• "MacBookPro15,4”

• “MacbookAir8,2”

• "iMac19,2"

His releases URL is https://github.com/Sniki/OS-X-USB-Inject-All/releases

Would it make sense to ask you to also monitor this URL of releases of Sniki's work on USBInjectAll ?

Thank you.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...