Vector Themes

Slice

455 posts in this topic

After over a year since it's last update, I've finally got round to updating BGM_SVG to v0.88 and it now includes a Catalina badge! I've reworked the symbols in the file, cleaned up a few badges and made additional tweaks to spacing (using lastest commit 59c3764 in Clover), banner, colours, improved night mode feel, and a slightly reduced font size.

BGM-SVG-088-screenshot.jpg

theme.svg

Edited by blackosx
Removed download link and replaced with link to theme on Clover Theme repository
  • Like 3

I've uploaded 6 new vector theme files to the Clover Theme repo.

It's actually just one theme, but done as a light version and dark version, each with (C)olour, (G)rey and (M)ono OS badges.

DiscBlackC

screenshot-Disc-Black-C.jpg

DiscBlackG

screenshot-Disc-Black-G.jpg

DiscBlackM

screenshot-Disc-Black-M.jpg

DiscWhiteC

screenshot-Disc-White-C.jpg

DiscWhiteG

screenshot-Disc-White-G.jpg

DiscWhiteM

screenshot-Disc-White-M.jpg

EDIT: These have since been updated to v0.7

Edited by blackosx
  • Like 5

@blackosx That is so beautiful! Well done!

I have no idea how you guys get such stunningly beautiful themes from a couple of pngs and a plist. No freaking clue. But there they are. And they're amazing. Once again, well done!

I don't even know which one to choose! I have a thing for black and white so I am definitely biased. I love the ones with Mono badges. Either the white one or the black one. They are just gorgeous!!

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1

Thanks. The mono versions will need some work at some point with regards to the macOS icons, as it’s difficult to get the correct feel of the original from a single colour. 

The black on white cat ones look better then the reversed out ones.

Edited by blackosx

2 minutes ago, blackosx said:

Thanks. The mono versions will need some work at some point with regards to the macOS icons, as it’s difficult to get the correct feel

of the original from a single colour. 

Yeah, I see what you mean. The background/shadows need just a little bit of work here and there. But I don't mind. I think they turned out great! :D 

1 hour ago, blackosx said:

I've uploaded 6 new vector theme files to the Clover Theme repo.

It's actually just one theme, but done as a light version and dark version, each with (C)olour, (G)rey and (M)ono OS badges.

DiscBlackC

DiscBlackG

DiscBlackM

DiscWhiteC

DiscWhiteG

DiscWhiteM

Wow!

Light and dark can be joined to one theme daylight/night?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Slice said:

Light and dark can be joined to one theme daylight/night?

I didn't think of that... Yeah, maybe they could. 

I'll leave them as they are for now, but maybe once all bugs/improvements have been done :)

Edited by blackosx
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/3/2019 at 2:16 AM, Badruzeus said:

(Native) Inkscape 1.0 on macOS finally, after 15 years of development. Nice, it no longer needs XQuartz to run.

https://inkscape.org/release/inkscape-1.0/?latest=1

Screen Shot 2019-11-02 at 21.21.18.jpg

I tested in Mojave, it works! I can recommend it to use for creating vector themes for Clover.

• Like 1

Yes, I used it when I created my theme but only to resave from Illustrator to SVG. Illustrator code isn’t as clean and organized as the Inkscape code is. But Inkscape has some really irritated behavior like window size, placement, etc. I've been using Boxy as well. I am most familiar with Illustrator and I find that far easier to use in creation though.

screenshot0.thumb.png.a697dcba8b072f3b5b2d4b3a5d2c25e8.pngHello everyone,

I've been trying to create my next theme but I am at a loss. This is not working and I have no clue as to why. Can anyone help me figure this out? I'd appreciate it (font is not included but that is not the issue.)

This is what i see when I boot:

screenshot0.thumb.png.a697dcba8b072f3b5b2d4b3a5d2c25e8.png

Edited by pkdesign

Nice theme idea. I’m out and mobile at the moment so can’t properly look at the file but the svg looks decent in Safari. 

One thing to look for is to make sure all elements are contained in a group otherwise Clover won’t process them.

Thanks! Whenever you can, I appreciate it.

Should all be in groups, etc. I just followed my last theme (Purple_Swirl) which was based on Clovy, just started building new graphics. Had issues with some opacity but I got rid of all of them to test. 

I have been trying to clean up layers, names, etc. Hopefully that did not screw things up. I tried to keep the obligatory group names the same:

736078800_ScreenShot2020-06-22at3_14_52PM.thumb.jpg.20b7c4984ad24ff0e57aead120219f60.jpg

I am confused by some items though. OSBadges and OSBadgesPreview specifically. What is Clover actually using to draw? I assume the "Preview" is just that, and that Clover uses the OSBadges when it comes time to draw. Also, why are some of those previews gray and others in color?

I can provide Illustrator file if that helps.

Edited by pkdesign

I've taken a look at your svg file but sorry to say I cannot be sure what the issue is without maybe trying a debug version of clover.

I see your layout is based on Clovy. Though it would help if your svg code was cleaner when opened in a text editor. How are you generating the file from Illustrator? You can see the difference if you compare your theme against Clovy in a text editor.

I remember when I started out by editing the Clovy theme that it was easy to break something which caused it to fail in Clovy. They are complicated beasts so that's why I went ahead and chose the route of cloversvgthemebuilder which is my preferred way of being able to generate these vector themes.

Sorry for now that I can't fix your theme...

Edited by blackosx
  • Thanks 1

Code is saved in Illustrator uses these settings:

51769768_IllustratorSVGsettings.thumb.jpg.522caa56c0665eb3d35e821ff0013684.jpg

I then open the file in Inkscape and just resave it as Inkscape SVG (I've been experimenting with saves as Plain SVG as well.)

I agree the Clovy code is very clean. How was it created? I'd love to know what app is giving such clean code.

I've downloaded your cloversvgthemebuilder before. I guess I need to look more closely at it :D

Yeah. Inkscape is good and loads my SVG themes perfectly, far better than Illustrator, though I do all my creation in Illustrator.

The export settings I use are shown in the cloversvgthemebuilder thread. They do differ from the settings you show.

The idea of cloversvgthemebuilder is to allow the user to concentrate on individual graphic files and let the script place them inside the Clovy theme structure which we know works in Clover, so far. It’s by no means the best way or the only way to create themes, but it’s just the way I currently prefer to do it. YMMV.

Edited by blackosx
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, pkdesign said:

What does bbox="-200 -340 1848 1708" refer to in the vector theme?

It is obligatory font attribute {x,y,w,h} for clover to know how to scale the font to pixel units.

1000 units is approximately 16 pixels aka 1/64.

Okay, so -200 -340 is the placement of the text? So in this case off the art board -200 x -340 y? Does it matter where on the art board it is?

So I understand that 1000 is approximately 16 points. Hows does that relate to 1848 1708? Height and width I get, but fonts are not specified this way. Say I want an 18 point font. Is that 1125 h? How do I figured out width?

1000/16=62.5

62.5*18=1125

1 hour ago, pkdesign said:

Okay, so -200 -340 is the placement of the text? So in this case off the art board -200 x -340 y? Does it matter where on the art board it is?

So I understand that 1000 is approximately 16 points. Hows does that relate to 1848 1708? Height and width I get, but fonts are not specified this way. Say I want an 18 point font. Is that 1125 h? How do I figured out width?

1000/16=62.5

62.5*18=1125

It is not obvious how it works.

If a letter has art board of 1800 1700 and we want to draw font size 16 pixels then the letter will be scaled to height=16.

Letters in same font can be of different sizes and different placements in one art board. So common scale calculated is bbox divided to ordered font size.

Argh, I am having the wierdest issue and I have no idea how to fix it. No matter what I do: reset NVRAM, delete files, change the name; every time I try to boot with my test theme, it shows me an old one that doesn’t even look like the new one I am trying to test. I have tested it a dozen times. Why would it be doing that?

• 3 weeks later...