Vector Themes

Slice

455 posts in this topic

Since rev 4844 Vector Themes are supported and there are ready-to-use Clovy by Clovy, cesium by Slice and BGM_SVG by Blackosx.

You may see it's structure to create own theme

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I want to add vector graphics support in Clover. See rev 4560 and later.

It is not working yet but designers may begin to create Vector Themes.

It supposed to consist of SVG elements and has design size. It will be rendered to any screen size scaled from design size.

What application in macOS can create SVG graphics?

Inkscape 1.0 is not working in macOS 10.11+. Pity.

LibreOffice Draw works with SVG but buggy.

Boxy SVG cost 10$ but looks good enough. It creates the best in simplicity files and have more then enough features.

Illustrator is good but expensive.

How to improve SVG file?

Clover has restricted support for SVG. It is your job to make compatible file and as small as possible to speedup rendering.

Some helps:

Help:Inkscape – From invalid to valid SVG Inkscape files

From invalid to valid SVG Adobe Illustrator files

From invalid to valid SVG files of other editors: BKchem, ChemDraw and CorelDRAW

Help:Illustrator – Assistance with creating and saving SVG images in Adobe Illustrator that will pass W3C validation

User:Quibik/Cleaning up SVG files manually

Later I will write own instructions specific to Clover abilities.

How to create SVG fonts?

You can google to find ready-to-use SVG fonts.  I found some problems with too beaty fonts: slow rendering and overflow crash. Be careful.

You can get ttf or otf fonts and convert them into svg by using online WEB services. Not a problem to google.

But then I want to find a way to simplify the font to reduce a size and speedup rendering.

You can create own font by FontForge It is opensource and available for Windows, Mac and GNU+Linux. It creates otf font which you can convert to svg font.

Pictures from Badruzeus

https://www.insanelymac.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=301597

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Badruzeus said:

Does Vesa mode use Graphics Acceleration?

It is not question for hardware. It is a question for drivers.

We want to have procedures to render vector graphics. SVG will be better. Minimum sources preferable.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Badruzeus said:

@Slice

My question with SVG introduction on r4560 commit is; what will happen to v2.0 themes (bitmap), will we still use them? Thanks.

For backward compatibility they will be supported.

Some graphics can't be converted to SVG. So new vector themes will be other themes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Slice said:

For backward compatibility they will be supported.

Some graphics can't be converted to SVG. So new vector themes will be other themes.

OK, thanks. So I think we're going to have a new thread for discussing Clover v3 theme..

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Slice said:

There  is the first success

https://www.applelife.ru/threads/clover.42089/page-819#post-744212

Sorry, I still can't upload pictures here.

Though I think speak too early, but can you give us Vector theme's rsc name? Are they still same as prev. bitmap has: os_mac, os_linux, os_win.. etc? Thanks.

With revision 4586 you can test how Clover can render different SVG files.

Current restrictions:

1. No text. You have to convert text to curves.

2. No embedded png. I can make this when I have a time. There is initial support that requires to define a procedure to treat the data. We have it! b64cdecode and png_decode. Just make a link to use. But PNG is not scalable so I will not recommend to use this feature even if it will work.

3. No gradients. It should be but currently is not working. Will be repaired asap.

4. Crash at too long path.

Is there anybody can propose how to reduce too complex SVG? If a svg file contains PATH with 500 points which is not practical for our purpose then I want to reduce it to 100 points with a little losing quality. How to do this? The bad file attached.

How to test SVG rendering

It is better to use QEMU to not reboot your computer. If you have QEMU.

Place Sample.svg into root or EFI partition with Clover. The name exactly this. Rename a file when needed.

Boot into Clover GUI. Press F8, look, press ESC.

Enter Shell:

$ fs0:

$ ls

$ mv Sample.svg A1.svg

$ mv A2.svg Sample.svg

$ exit

Press F8 and look A2 image....

clover.svg.zip

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, blackosx said:

Good work Slice!

I'll try to test this weekend.

I think this clover.svg.zip produces too complex paths bcoz was vectorized from bitmap with gradients.

Where we could get original vector of this Clover logo? Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Badruzeus said:

I think this clover.svg.zip produces too complex paths bcoz was vectorized from bitmap with gradients.

I took it from google "clover svg image".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Badruzeus said:

What software do you recommend to do SVG Themes and text? Please

46 minutes ago, Matgen84 said:

Inkscape is enough, or illustrator, coreldraw under windows. Use the easiest for you..

• Like 1

@Slice Cool..!!! But on my case, I lost svg image colors.. it becomes Black/White here. Using Sample.svg with no gradient for sure.. (Legacy Clover, current EFI, no-QEMU.. not sure bzoz of Legacy though). :thumbsup_anim:

screenshot0.png

Sample.svg

Edited by Badruzeus
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

This is cool but I planned on having SVG only themes in v3 since an SVG document can basically create the entire theme itself, can use percentages and aspect ratio of the screen as measurements instead of pixels to ensure the theme looks the same no matter the resolution. It can contain other SVGs, paths, texts, animations, color gradients, mouse move/click events, action events, etc. Plus it allows javascript...

On 6/29/2018 at 5:09 PM, Matgen84 said:

On 6/29/2018 at 5:58 PM, Badruzeus said:

Inkscape is enough, or illustrator, coreldraw under windows. Use the easiest for you..

Inkscape is not working in macOS 10.11+. Pity.

LibreOffice Draw works with SVG but buggy.

Boxy SVG cost 10$ but looks good enough.

Illustrator is good but expensive.

2 hours ago, apianti said:

This is cool but I planned on having SVG only themes in v3 since an SVG document can basically create the entire theme itself, can use percentages and aspect ratio of the screen as measurements instead of pixels to ensure the theme looks the same no matter the resolution. It can contain other SVGs, paths, texts, animations, color gradients, mouse move/click events, action events, etc. Plus it allows javascript...

It is in future. I want to go step by step.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1