Help installing HighSierra on Xeon W-2175 and Asus WS C422 mobo

obus

316 posts in this topic

no it is not working if that one is your log

it is locked

so in your bios (better in your motherboard chipset) offset to patch are changed
Put back a not patched 0502 and stay with it till someone discover new location to patch

58 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

no it is not working if that one is your log

it is locked

so in your bios (better in your motherboard chipset) offset to patch are changed
Put back a not patched 0502 and stay with it till someone discover new location to patch

Ok @fabiosun.

I will put the original 0502 back in bios. I talked to ASUS Sweden today and hope that they will provide me with an unlocked version of 0502.

Thank's for your efforts.

On 3/26/2018 at 11:19 PM, yapan4 said:

I also send request to ASUS Technical Support (global).

I received the expected standard response from the ASUS Support. So, chances are minimal...

Maybe there are some news from @obus

On 4/4/2018 at 11:25 AM, yapan4 said:

A new bios 0602 from Asus has been released, someone has already tested it?

Still Locked in 0602 and no further feedback from ASUS Sweden about an unlocked version.

4 hours ago, obus said:

Still Locked in 0602 and no further feedback from ASUS Sweden about an unlocked version.

:(

Do you read this

"Excellent news concerning CPU Power Management: ASUS, MSI and ASROCK mainboards allow now for manually unlocked the MSR 0xE2 BIOS Register and make any BIOS Firware patching obsolete."

and this

"Within the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe BIOS firmware 1301, ASUS now allows upon my user request for the first time to manually unlock the MSR 0xE2 register within the most recent BIOS settings, which makes any additional firmware patching totally obsolete."

from  KGP's How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Edited by yapan4

3 hours ago, yapan4 said:

:(

Do you reed this

"Excellent news concerning CPU Power Management: ASUS, MSI and ASROCK mainboards allow now for manually unlocked the MSR 0xE2 BIOS Register and make any BIOS Firware patching obsolete."

and this

"Within the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe BIOS firmware 1301, ASUS now allows upon my user request for the first time to manually unlock the MSR 0xE2 register within the most recent BIOS settings, which makes any additional firmware patching totally obsolete."

from  KGP How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Where did you find this info!

9 minutes ago, yapan4 said:

Yes this new feature was related and enable  in theory MSR 0xE2 unlock, but for Asus mobo the new bios version does not allow fully MSR 0xE2 unlock as explained many users , thus for Asus mobos TSCAdjustReset.kext is still needed.

Edited by Loloflat6
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Loloflat6 said:

Yes this new feature was related and enable  in theory MSR 0xE2 unlock, but for Asus mobo the new bios version does not allow fully MSR 0xE2 unlock as explained many users , thus for Asus mobos TSCAdjustReset.kext is still needed.

@Loloflat6

I was in contact with ASUS Sweden and received this information:

There is toggle for this option available:
BIOS -> Advanced -> CPU Config -> CPU Power management -> Core C-State
From here option can be set Enabled/Disabled

I've tried it but with no success so I wrote back and asked for an unlocked version of 0602 two days ago and I have no answer yet from the support.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, obus said:

@Loloflat6

I was in contact with ASUS Sweden and received this information:

There is toggle for this option available:
BIOS -> Advanced -> CPU Config -> CPU Power management -> Core C-State
From here option can be set Enabled/Disabled

I've tried it but with no success so I wrote back and asked for an unlocked version of 0602 two days ago and I have no answer yet from the support.

Yes I know because Kgp from X299 build guide did sent an Email to Asus too and he got no answer too 

Edited by Loloflat6

Yes to return in your interesting topic about Xeon W-2175 and Asus WS C422, some people related that the stuck after Randomseed may be caused by OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi , did you try OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi or OsxAptioFix2000Drv-64.efi ?

Some other issue without own AptioMemoryFix.efi

Edited by Loloflat6

In my X299 build I tried three different USB installers (with the same config) and with only one I was able to rich to MacOs install screen and first only in English ( no important for me).

16 hours ago, Loloflat6 said:

Yes to return in your interesting topic about Xeon W-2175 and Asus WS C422, some people related that the stuck after Randomseed may be caused by OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi , did you try OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi ?

Some other issue without own AptioMemoryFix.efi

For me AptioMemoryFix.efi is working flawlessly from the very beginning.

My problem witch "stuck at random seed" was the lack of FakeCpuId and not AptioMemoryFix. As soon as I realised that everything was working smooth.

2 hours ago, obus said:

For me AptioMemoryFix.efi is working flawlessly from the very beginning.

My problem witch "stuck at random seed" was the lack of FakeCpuId and not AptioMemoryFix. As soon as I realised that everything was working smooth.

Well if I anderstand you have change the FakeCpuId to the latest  or removed it and that solved your issue, you was able to rich the installer and continue the installation ?

Edited by Loloflat6

On 06.04.2018 at 10:51 PM, Loloflat6 said:

OsxAptioFix2000Drv-64.efi

Avoid to use it! It has critical misunderstandings about how APTIO works.

On 04.04.2018 at 12:25 PM, yapan4 said:

A new bios 0602 from Asus has been released, someone has already tested it?

According to the description on Asus web-site, it has Meltdown/Spectre fix only. 

20 hours ago, Loloflat6 said:

It's not an Asus problem I think. All X299 mobos need this kext. Before that all X99 boards needed it and, from memory, the X58s as well. What happened was that the bios mod for Asus just included the TSC sync as an extra, it was never part of the MSR unlock thing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, joedm ru said:

According to the description on Asus web-site, it has Meltdown/Spectre fix only.

Just like that ...

Version 1301

PRIME X299-DELUXE BIOS 1301
"Updated Intel CPU microcode.
Improved system stability."

...nothing about MSR.

Also BIOS updates released only for PRIME X299-DELUXE and WS C422 Pro/SE, the rest remained v0502, including your WS X299 PRO

Edited by yapan4

6 hours ago, surfinchina said:

It's not an Asus problem I think. All X299 mobos need this kext. Before that all X99 boards needed it and, from memory, the X58s as well. What happened was that the bios mod for Asus just included the TSC sync as an extra, it was never part of the MSR unlock thing.

Very unpleasant point is this "TSC Sync". The last time he needed me on an old Asrock board with Pentium D945 and Snow Leopard. Then Voodoo TSC solved the problem, but caused many other minor issues.

Since then I have not used boards on x58 and x99 chipsets, but on other chipsets (including the current from signature) there was no need TSC sync. And it's strange, because this motherboards are very similar - Sky Lake multicore Xeon CPU, Cxxx series chipset, ECC memory, etc...

Obviously MSR lock and TSC Sync are different things. The @KGP-iMacPro somehow got a solution to one of them, and on the basis of this "...Yet we witness some TSC desynchronisation of the Skylake-X threads at boot and wake from S3. Until further microcode updates are performed by the mainboard manufacturers, we therefore have to use the TSCAdjustRest.kext provided by @inteferenc (see error prevention 7.) in Section C.) of this guide)" i see that he is also counting on the solution of TSC Sync

@fabiosun was trying to help me with a patch but gave up. I don't know if there is anybody else out there how is capable to give a helping hand?

It's way over my head and ASUS is obviously not interested in providing unlocked firmware so the community has to figure out a solution.

13 hours ago, obus said:

@fabiosun was trying to help me with a patch but gave up. I don't know if there is anybody else out there how is capable to give a helping hand?

It's way over my head and ASUS is obviously not interested in providing unlocked firmware so the community has to figure out a solution.

Not exact

Patched used for other bios are not usefull for you if your checking is fine :)

fakecpuid need is another thing and it is not related to a locked msr 0xE2 or to a TSC problem

And Be Happy!

you started from a ++++++++ message and now you have a working (and booting) system! ;)

Edited by Guest
add some infos

5 hours ago, fabiosun said:

Not exact

Patched used for other bios are not usefull for you if your checking is fine :)

fakecpuid need is another thing and it is not related to a locked msr 0xE2 or to a TSC problem

And Be Happy!

you started from a ++++++++ message and now you have a working (and booting) system! ;)

I'am happy :thumbsup_anim: @fabiosun and without your help I don't know what to do.

Now I have thunderbolt working without hot plug obviously but with function wake after sleep.:hysterical:. My LG "55 inch" oled TV is working perfect over thunderbolt with working nightshift.

Sleep is not working 100%. The rig is going to sleep but wakes after a while and crash Without WhatEverGreen sleep doesn't work at all.

Any ideas?

My usb-stick shows up as internal but my buffalo thunderbolt drive as external?

Untitled.png

Untitled.png

Untitled.png

Untitled.png

Edited by obus