Help installing HighSierra on Xeon W-2175 and Asus WS C422 mobo

obus

316 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, yapan4 said:

First you can try Fake devID in Devices section->Lan of Clover Configurator

AppleIntelI210Ethernet.kext

/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily ->Show  Package Contents -> Plugins

Bat copy to Desktop for view and edit 

3 minutes ago, yapan4 said:

No. this is correct path /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily ->Show  Package Contents -> Plugins

I need to know my own id but where can I find this when my Nic isn't discovered and I have not installed Windows yet.

Any ideas? 

7 minutes ago, yapan4 said:

No. this is correct path /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily ->Show  Package Contents -> Plugins

I think it is 1538 so I will try that.

Just now, yapan4 said:

Darvin Dumper

Of course I'm stupid.

I've just made a dump one hour ago.

Cheers yapan4

3 hours ago, fabiosun said:

@obus

in my opinion performance is fine and you should leave EIST enabled because performance is pretty the same and you have a better states use with it

you should also search for spec in AVX load for all your cores and cpu and if under load they stay to they maximum

My cpu (x99 Xeon 22 cores / 44 threads) has a base clock of 2.2 Ghz a turbo clock for all cores/thread of 2.8Ghz and a turbo core for 2 core/thread of 3.7 Ghz

You have to find your AVX maximum and test it with some software like cinebench15 or rendering program but I am confident your system is fine

Maybe you should find a way to not use Broadwell EP fakecpuid because your CPU should be supported vanilla by osx 10.13.3 but there you have to do some test by yourself

I repeat my self..your cpu is a Xeon and is different...follow your guide and stay simple as you can :)

you should also try to set with clover configurator plugintype (check this) and see if your system starts

Also I don't know if also new xeon freeze using appleintelinfo.kext by piker alpha..

Unlocking bios is not useful for performance at all...

Trust me :)

imageproxy.php?img=&key=c17464ef1b1b51c7imageproxy.php?img=&key=c17464ef1b1b51c7imageproxy.php?img=&key=c17464ef1b1b51c7

plugintype.png

Ok @fabiosun

I will test a little bit more as you sad and see if I can fine-tune the system even more.

Thank's again for your support.

Ps. I checked the plugin-type and deleted FakeCpuid but that gave me Kp after preboot.

10 hours ago, obus said:

Ps. I checked the plugin-type and deleted FakeCpuid but that gave me Kp after preboot.

That's weird. Please drop me your EFI folder you have after you did this. 

Edited by joedm ru

13 hours ago, joedm ru said:

According to my experience, locked 0xE2 on my former GA X299 Aorus Gaming 3 prevented waking up from sleep mode. It went panic on wake during appempt to write to MSR 0xE2. Patching bios OR applying Pike's patch solved the problem.

I don't think you need FakeCpuid at all. Your CPUID is supported natively by kernel. And it should work fine using HWP without any tables.

This is not quite correct. The command is sysctl -n machdep.xcpm.mode See this post for details.

Yes, if you use AptioMemoryFix then installed RC-scripts should be removed as well as EmuVariable.

Thank you for your help!

Hi

In my opinion with a Xeon Cpu some things are different also for sleep/wake related issue and maybe he can not have the same problem people have with X cpu series
also I don't know if for him is useful or not tscsynch kext

Regarding XCPM other useful marker is frequency vector count so you can try to run from terminal this command and see all data like this one
sysctl machdep.xcpm

fabios-iMac-Pro:~ fabio$ sysctl machdep.xcpm
machdep.xcpm.mode: 1
machdep.xcpm.hard_plimit_max_100mhz_ratio: 37
machdep.xcpm.hard_plimit_min_100mhz_ratio: 8
machdep.xcpm.soft_plimit_max_100mhz_ratio: 37
machdep.xcpm.soft_plimit_min_100mhz_ratio: 8
machdep.xcpm.tuib_plimit_max_100mhz_ratio: 37
machdep.xcpm.tuib_plimit_min_100mhz_ratio: 8
machdep.xcpm.tuib_enabled: 0
machdep.xcpm.power_source: 0
machdep.xcpm.bootplim: 0
machdep.xcpm.bootpst: 37
machdep.xcpm.tuib_ns: 0
machdep.xcpm.vectors_loaded_count: 1
machdep.xcpm.ratio_change_ratelimit_ns: 500000
machdep.xcpm.ratio_changes_total: 79873
machdep.xcpm.maxbusdelay: 0
machdep.xcpm.maxintdelay: 0
machdep.xcpm.mbd_mode: 1
machdep.xcpm.mbd_applications: 0
machdep.xcpm.mbd_relaxations: 0
machdep.xcpm.forced_idle_ratio: 100
machdep.xcpm.forced_idle_period: 30000000
machdep.xcpm.deep_idle_log: 0
machdep.xcpm.qos_txfr: 1
machdep.xcpm.deep_idle_count: 0
machdep.xcpm.deep_idle_last_stats: n/a
machdep.xcpm.deep_idle_total_stats: n/a
machdep.xcpm.cpu_thermal_level: 0
machdep.xcpm.gpu_thermal_level: 0
machdep.xcpm.io_thermal_level: 0
machdep.xcpm.io_control_engages: 0
machdep.xcpm.io_control_disengages: 1
machdep.xcpm.io_filtered_reads: 0
machdep.xcpm.io_cst_control_enabled: 0
machdep.xcpm.ring_boost_enabled: 0
machdep.xcpm.io_epp_boost_enabled: 0
machdep.xcpm.epp_override: 0
fabios-iMac-Pro:~ fabio$ 

but for Xeon is always a different story because  IE in my case with all parameters set to 1 or to 0 I have same behavior and performance and stability 

14 hours ago, obus said:

I can't for the moment not point out any task or situation that have make problems with a locked msr0xE2 register.

The only reason is that I want as little as possible in my config.plist/kextfolder.

So if you can and want to put your time to help me with that I should be very pleased.

Another thing is my config.plist. I now now that for the moment FakeCpuid and "PM" respectively "xcpm_program_msrs (c) Pike R. Alpha" patch is mandatory. But everything else is maybe not needed. Could you have a check?

Last question is still my Intel I210-AT Nic:s. Do you know any working solution for them?

config.plist

are you using now this config?

If so

Are you using Nvidia web driver?

then take a look at attached pictures of your config.plist

you can decide in clover bootmenu to enable or disable things before booting and with some patience and some tries you find which are  mandatory parameters for your rig

I will always start during this steps with -v option to see if system hangs where it stops

IE you can try to enable npci=0x2000 and disable fakecpuid and see

Combinations are multiple but there only you could test
Then If I see where you were started from a bad ++++++++++ KP

Now you have a booting system..and maybe first Xeon w mackintosh running :)

Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 10.20.26 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 10.20.08 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 10.15.09 AM.png

23 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

Hi

In my opinion with a Xeon Cpu some things are different also for sleep/wake related issue and maybe he can not have the same problem people have with X cpu series
also I don't know if for him is useful or not tscsynch kext

Regarding XCPM other useful marker is frequency vector count so you can try to run from terminal this command and see all data like this one
sysctl machdep.xcpm

fabios-iMac-Pro:~ fabio$ sysctl machdep.xcpm
machdep.xcpm.mode: 1
machdep.xcpm.hard_plimit_max_100mhz_ratio: 37
machdep.xcpm.hard_plimit_min_100mhz_ratio: 8
machdep.xcpm.soft_plimit_max_100mhz_ratio: 37
machdep.xcpm.soft_plimit_min_100mhz_ratio: 8
machdep.xcpm.tuib_plimit_max_100mhz_ratio: 37
machdep.xcpm.tuib_plimit_min_100mhz_ratio: 8
machdep.xcpm.tuib_enabled: 0
machdep.xcpm.power_source: 0
machdep.xcpm.bootplim: 0
machdep.xcpm.bootpst: 37
machdep.xcpm.tuib_ns: 0
machdep.xcpm.vectors_loaded_count: 1
machdep.xcpm.ratio_change_ratelimit_ns: 500000
machdep.xcpm.ratio_changes_total: 79873
machdep.xcpm.maxbusdelay: 0
machdep.xcpm.maxintdelay: 0
machdep.xcpm.mbd_mode: 1
machdep.xcpm.mbd_applications: 0
machdep.xcpm.mbd_relaxations: 0
machdep.xcpm.forced_idle_ratio: 100
machdep.xcpm.forced_idle_period: 30000000
machdep.xcpm.deep_idle_log: 0
machdep.xcpm.qos_txfr: 1
machdep.xcpm.deep_idle_count: 0
machdep.xcpm.deep_idle_last_stats: n/a
machdep.xcpm.deep_idle_total_stats: n/a
machdep.xcpm.cpu_thermal_level: 0
machdep.xcpm.gpu_thermal_level: 0
machdep.xcpm.io_thermal_level: 0
machdep.xcpm.io_control_engages: 0
machdep.xcpm.io_control_disengages: 1
machdep.xcpm.io_filtered_reads: 0
machdep.xcpm.io_cst_control_enabled: 0
machdep.xcpm.ring_boost_enabled: 0
machdep.xcpm.io_epp_boost_enabled: 0
machdep.xcpm.epp_override: 0
fabios-iMac-Pro:~ fabio$ 

but for Xeon is always a different story because  IE in my case with all parameters set to 1 or to 0 I have same behavior and performance and stability 

This is my result.

Any comments @fabiosun?

Untitled.png

important parameters for XCPM are set to 1

so it is good

now you can try to test your system and refine your config plist and kext according to it

@yapan4, his Intel I210 Ethernet controller should work out-of-the-box using native support by vanilla AppleIntelI210Ethernet.kext 

If it does not, then it's weird. My board has the same controller and it works fine without any effort.

1 hour ago, joedm ru said:

@yapan4, his Intel I210 Ethernet controller should work out-of-the-box using native support by vanilla AppleIntelI210Ethernet.kext 

If it does not, then it's weird. My board has the same controller and it works fine without any effort.

Thanks for the info joedm ru.

For comparison X299 and C422, give me device ID of your NIC

29 minutes ago, joedm ru said:

@yapan4, it's 8086:1533.

Thank you

However, as @obus wrote above, did not work. Probably WS C422 Pro/SE has controller with another devID from I210 family, maybe 8086:1538.  Let's wait for his answers...

On 3/21/2018 at 11:00 AM, yapan4 said:

Hi. obus

Please share the results on the network controller

Thank you

Hi @yapan4

My Nic:s are working perfect with native support exactly as @joedm ru already confirmed.

I had some initial problem with my switch that's why I isn't worked from the beginning.

My device id is 1533.

Edited by obus

On 3/17/2018 at 7:45 PM, fabiosun said:

PS

Also unlocking bios is unrelated to your actual problem

Hi @fabiosun

Everything is working fine on my new rig and I am happy with the performance overall. You told me earlier that you have some experience with patching ASUS motherboard with locked mainboard BIOS MSR 0xE2 register.

Is it possible for you to help me with a patch for my mainboard? As I understand it I could get rid of booth Fake CpuId, PM-patch, xcpm_program_msrs (c) Pike R. Alpha-patch and TSCAdjustReset.kext.

With best regards

obus

yep I could but in my experiences you would not have so much benefit as you are saying here

Are you able to flash a patched bios in your motherboard?

If so put here a link of bios you want to patch and also put here patches.txt file you want to use..maybe @interferenc ones?

17 minutes ago, obus said:

Hi @fabiosun

Everything is working fine on my new rig and I am happy with the performance overall. You told me earlier that you have some experience with patching ASUS motherboard with locked mainboard BIOS MSR 0xE2 register.

Is it possible for you to help me with a patch for my mainboard? As I understand it I could get rid of booth Fake CpuId, PM-patch, xcpm_program_msrs (c) Pike R. Alpha-patch and TSCAdjustReset.kext.

With best regards

obus

Edited by Guest

16 hours ago, fabiosun said:

yep I could but in my experiences you would not have so much benefit as you are saying here

Are you able to flash a patched bios in your motherboard?

If so put here a link of bios you want to patch and also put here patches.txt file you want to use..maybe @interferenc ones?

"However, thanks to recent modifications in CodeRush's Longsoft UEFIPatch distributions and thanks to three sophisticated MSR 0xE2 Register patches provided by @interferenc (partly former work of CodeRush, Pike Alpha and Adrian_dsl), we are now able to successfully patch any ASUS X299 mainboard BIOS distribution and unlock the MSR 0xE2 register. This makes the "xcpm_core_scope_msrs © Pike R. Alpha" KernelToPatch entry obsolete and allows full native read/write MSR 0xE2 register access by the OSX kernel. Also many thanks to FABIOSUN on InsanelyMac for his parallel contributions. The patched ASUS mainboard BIOS firmware finally can be uploaded to the specific ASUS X299 mainboard by means of the ASUS EZ BIOS Flashback Procedure."

I've already tried with the patch I found on KGP:s Skylake X299 site. The patched bios was installed without no problems but still I couldn't boot without the Fake CpuId, PM-patch, xcpm_program_msrs (c) Pike R. Alpha-patch and FakeCpuId so something was obviously wrong with the patch.

Is those patch universal (default) for all ASUS mainboard or do I need a special patch just for my mainboard?

The bios I am using now is the 0402 and you could find it here https://www.asus.com/se/Motherboards/WS-C422-PRO-SE/HelpDesk_BIOS/ 

Sorry for my ignorance @fabiosun but this is all over my head.

Edited by obus

1 hour ago, obus said:

"However, thanks to recent modifications in CodeRush's Longsoft UEFIPatch distributions and thanks to three sophisticated MSR 0xE2 Register patches provided by @interferenc (partly former work of CodeRush, Pike Alpha and Adrian_dsl), we are now able to successfully patch any ASUS X299 mainboard BIOS distribution and unlock the MSR 0xE2 register. This makes the "xcpm_core_scope_msrs © Pike R. Alpha" KernelToPatch entry obsolete and allows full native read/write MSR 0xE2 register access by the OSX kernel. Also many thanks to FABIOSUN on InsanelyMac for his parallel contributions. The patched ASUS mainboard BIOS firmware finally can be uploaded to the specific ASUS X299 mainboard by means of the ASUS EZ BIOS Flashback Procedure."

I've already tried with the patch I found on KGP:s Skylake X299 site. The patched bios was installed without no problems but still I couldn't boot without the Fake CpuId, PM-patch, xcpm_program_msrs (c) Pike R. Alpha-patch and FakeCpuId so something was obviously wrong with the patch.

Is those patch universal (default) for all ASUS mainboard or do I need a special patch just for my mainboard?

The bios I am using now is the 0402 and you could find it here https://www.asus.com/se/Motherboards/WS-C422-PRO-SE/HelpDesk_BIOS/ 

Sorry for my ignorance @fabiosun but this is all over my head.

You are confusing some aspects related to a patched bios role in your hack
1) with a patched bios as you say to have, have you tested if msr is really unlocked?Simply also checking clover bootlog you can create inside clover configurator

2) you miss another part following guide for X type CPU, your is different

3) check in your actual bios  in advanced CPU parameter if you have some part related to CFG config or similar, then also check latest 0502 bios if it has this feature which could unlock some msr for you

and so also if you have an unlocked MSR 0xe2 register you should have the need of a msr program kernel patch to boot (only strangeness is broadwell EP fakecpuid you are using now)
for your information in my X99 Xeon I have to use Always MSR program kernel patch (also with a patched bios) so it could be normal also for you if you have tested well without mixing too many things

Also, we see your cpu acts in a different way from X cpu series , so you can try to use applecpuintelinfo to see some usefull stuff and to understand better.

These tests could be done only by you..and no one has a real experience on your Platform here ;)