Help installing HighSierra on Xeon W-2175 and Asus WS C422 mobo

obus

316 posts in this topic

could you post cinebench 15 cpu test and relative Intel power graphics gadget during your test?

I think we also should refine better your EFI

Maybe you can avoid some things

My advice is to stay with original bios till you are sure all is working perfectly

:)

Edited by Guest

17 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

could you post cinebench 15 cpu test and relative Intel power graphics gadget during your test?

I think we also should refine better your EFI

Maybe you can avoid some things

My advice is to stay with original bios till you are sure all is working perfectly

:)

Here you go.

9.png

5.png

Hi @fabiosun

Do you know how to get my Intel I210-AT Nic:s working?

3 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

thank you

max frequency for all cores in turbo mode is (for your xeon)?

Have you EIST and SpeedShift enabled in bios?

I don't know if it's turbo mode. How could I check that?

EIST and Intel speedshift is enabled

Geekbench score.

Untitled.png

from your IPG graph turbo mode for all cores/thread seems to be about 3.2 Ghz 

base freq 2.5 Ghz turbo for single core 4.3 Ghz

if so your result are good

if you want to try

disable only EIST in bios and post again result and IPG graph

46 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

from your IPG graph turbo mode for all cores/thread seems to be about 3.2 Ghz 

base freq 2.5 Ghz turbo for single core 4.3 Ghz

if so your result are good

if you want to try

disable only EIST in bios and post again result and IPG graph

Turbo is enabled in bios.

Eist is now disabled.

Untitled.png

Untitled 2.png

Edited by obus

12 minutes ago, joedm ru said:

@obus, could you please take a look at my post?

I've read your post but I'm still not sure what you want from me.

Is it if native NVRAM is working with AptioMemoryFix?

1 minute ago, joedm ru said:

Yes. Exactly it. Also I need to know if your bios has 'Above 4G decoding' enabled or disabled.

The answer after reboot is "zzz" so my conclusion is that NVRAM is working on my rig with AptioMemoryFix.kext  (R16).

4G decoding is on/enabled in bios

Thank you very much. Could you please try the same with 4G decoding off/disabled? Set the 'mycoolvar' variable to 'yyy' to ensure it still works. 

I'm asking because nvram in my WS X299 PRO doesn't work if '4G decoding' is enabled. And works fine if it disabled, though it should be vice versa.

@fabiosun

Is it possible to get native powermanagment without patching bios?

According to KGP:s site he achieved that thru patching bios.

ssdtPRGen.sh-Beta isn't working because Pike R. Alpha has stopped updating as I understand it.

@obus

in my opinion performance is fine and you should leave EIST enabled because performance is pretty the same and you have a better states use with it

you should also search for spec in AVX load for all your cores and cpu and if under load they stay to they maximum

My cpu (x99 Xeon 22 cores / 44 threads) has a base clock of 2.2 Ghz a turbo clock for all cores/thread of 2.8Ghz and a turbo core for 2 core/thread of 3.7 Ghz

You have to find your AVX maximum and test it with some software like cinebench15 or rendering program but I am confident your system is fine

Maybe you should find a way to not use Broadwell EP fakecpuid because your CPU should be supported vanilla by osx 10.13.3 but there you have to do some test by yourself

11 minutes ago, obus said:

@fabiosun

Is it possible to get native powermanagment without patching bios?

According to KGP:s site he achieved that thru patching bios.

ssdtPRGen.sh-Beta isn't working because Pike R. Alpha has stopped updating as I understand it.

I repeat my self..your cpu is a Xeon and is different...follow your guide and stay simple as you can :)

you should also try to set with clover configurator plugintype (check this) and see if your system starts

Also I don't know if also new xeon freeze using appleintelinfo.kext by piker alpha..

Unlocking bios is not useful for performance at all...

Trust me :)

plugintype.png

Edited by Guest
image upload

You need to patch your bios only for unlocking MSR 0xE2 and get rid of TSC sync kext. 

Your CPU will work fine even if you drop all CPU-related SSDT tables and even without generated ones. Just make sure you have plugin-type added. 

To verify that XCPM works use command  sysctl -n machdep.xcpm.mode 

If you see it displays '1' then you are fine.

9 minutes ago, joedm ru said:

You need to patch your bios only for unlocking MSR 0xE2 and get rid of TSC sync kext. 

Your CPU will work fine even if you drop all CPU-related SSDT tables and even without generated ones. Just make sure you have plugin-type added. 

Ok @joedm ru

My native NVRAM is working fine with AptioMemoryFix.kext irrespective if 4G is enabled or disabled.

Edited by obus

@joedm ru

could you post an example or a task which creates some problems when msr0xE2 is locked?

From latest clover I do not have anymore need to patch msr because all is simply working fine

If I patchbios  I can "program" msr to have some demotion and undemotion state but it is no relevant for a correct working or performance or c/p states output

Xeon is a bit different from extreme or X cpu

for your infos I have patched many "unpatchable x299 firmware" in other thread here but I think is not mandatory to do in these days

Edited by Guest

11 minutes ago, joedm ru said:

But now I need to have FakeCpuid 0x040674 otherwise I can't boot?

So you mean I can drop that as long as I have checked plugin-type?

sysctl -n machdep.xcpm.mode=1 so native powermanagment is working then?

13 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

@joedm ru

could you post an example or a task which creates some problems when msr0xE2 is locked?

From latest clover I do not have anymore need to patch msr because all is simply working fine

If I patchbios  I can "program" msr to have some demotion and undemotion state but it is no relevant for a correct working or performance or c/p states output

Xeon is a bit different from extreme or X cpu

for your infos I have patched many "unpatchable x299 firmware" in other thread here

I can't for the moment not point out any task or situation that have make problems with a locked msr0xE2 register.

The only reason is that I want as little as possible in my config.plist/kextfolder.

So if you can and want to put your time to help me with that I should be very pleased.

Another thing is my config.plist. I now now that for the moment FakeCpuid and "PM" respectively "xcpm_program_msrs (c) Pike R. Alpha" patch is mandatory. But everything else is maybe not needed. Could you have a check?

Last question is still my Intel I210-AT Nic:s. Do you know any working solution for them?

config.plist

Edited by obus

49 minutes ago, joedm ru said:

Thank you very much. Could you please try the same with 4G decoding off/disabled? Set the 'mycoolvar' variable to 'yyy' to ensure it still works. 

I'm asking because nvram in my WS X299 PRO doesn't work if '4G decoding' is enabled. And works fine if it disabled, though it should be vice versa.

If understand it correctly you need to uncheck or if installed remove RC-scripts in clover to let AptioMemoryFix working.

Just for information because I installed it from the beginning and my native NVRAM just didn't work.

Just now, fabiosun said:

According to my experience, locked 0xE2 on my former GA X299 Aorus Gaming 3 prevented waking up from sleep mode. It went panic on wake during appempt to write to MSR 0xE2. Patching bios OR applying Pike's patch solved the problem.

Just now, obus said:

But now I need to have FakeCpuid 0x040674 otherwise I can't boot?

I don't think you need FakeCpuid at all. Your CPUID is supported natively by kernel. And it should work fine using HWP without any tables.

Just now, obus said:

sysctl -n machdep.xcpm.mode=1 so native powermanagment is working then?

This is not quite correct. The command is sysctl -n machdep.xcpm.mode See this post for details.

Just now, obus said:

If understand it correctly you need to uncheck or if installed remove RC-scripts in clover to let AptioMemoryFix working.

Yes, if you use AptioMemoryFix then installed RC-scripts should be removed as well as EmuVariable.

Just now, obus said:

My native NVRAM is working fine with AptioMemoryFix.kext irrespective if 4G is enabled or disabled.

Thank you for your help!

25 minutes ago, yapan4 said:

macOs has driver for i210, bat only one DevID - 1533. You can add your own devID(no warranty, on your risk) 

Hi @yapan4

Edit in which kext?

Could you help me?

Edited by obus

25 minutes ago, joedm ru said:

According to my experience, locked 0xE2 on my former GA X299 Aorus Gaming 3 prevented waking up from sleep mode. It went panic on wake during appempt to write to MSR 0xE2. Patching bios OR applying Pike's patch solved the problem.

I don't think you need FakeCpuid at all. Your CPUID is supported natively by kernel. And it should work fine using HWP without any tables.

This is not quite correct. The command is sysctl -n machdep.xcpm.mode See this post for details.

Yes, if you use AptioMemoryFix then installed RC-scripts should be removed as well as EmuVariable.

Thank you for your help!

What I meant was that the input "sysctl -n machdep.xcpm.mode" in terminal

gave me the answer 1.

By that I draw the conclusion that native powermanagment was working.

Is that correct?