How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

KGP-iMacPro

iMacPro Build/Guide Feedback   

26 members have voted

1. 1. Does this guide help you in your endeavour?

• yes
    • no

This poll is closed to new votes

656 posts in this topic

By default High Sierra formats an SSD/NVME drive to APFS, even if you chose HFS+J.

By doing this I was having a mind-melt trying to install clover post-install.

Then I found a Terminal command that does NOT convert to APFS, during USB installation, on tonymac. YAY!

I am now up and running on High Sierra (HS), in HFS with clover installed perfectly in the same drive.

Nvidia web driver installed fine.

Just the audio to fix now. :)

• Like 1

i've been up all night trying to get my ethernet speeds in OSX the same as they are in windows. it's terrible!

also, still no joy with onboard realtek audio. :(

various audio fixes have caused crashes.... which have meant re-installing from scratch.

2 hours ago, Loloflat6 said:

@KGP-iMacPro is for you 10.13.6 Beta  a good improvement because I'm still on 10.13.4 very stable , and for the moment I did not update to 10,13,5 ?

I am very happy with 10.13.5. I did not do much with 10.13.6 Beta though. Just basic system functionality checks.. 

However, in my opinion improvements since 10.13.4 or minor, at least for my system.. I don't know about what improved with respect to Vega..  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Loloflat6 said:

@KGP-iMacPro is for you 10.13.6 Beta  a good improvement because I'm still on 10.13.4 very stable , and for the moment I did not update to 10,13,5 ?

10.13.6 beta 2 has made big improvements with Vega speeds. Lux 25000 to 27500, Geekbench from 180000 to 215000.

This is with the Vega speed up kext.

There don't seem to be any downsides to the upgrade so far, but it's only been a couple of days in daily use.

I don't know about fan speeds because it's watercooled.

New EFI-Folder EFI-X299-10.13.5-Release-iMacPro1,1-160618 implemented in originating post of this thread (guide)

EFI-Folder related changes:
  • Implementation of Boot Loader Clover_v2.4k_r4548
  • Removal of aspf.efi from /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/
  • Adding ApfsDriverLoader.efi to /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/
  • Adding AGPMEnabler.kext to/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other (thanks to @apfelnico
Guide related changes:
  • Update of Section C.6), explanation to apsf.efi, ApfsDriverLoader.efi and Clover package creation 

Enjoy and have fun,

post-1362934-0-41431100-1516222345.png

7 hours ago, blast44 said:

I am following this guide as close as i can but for some reason I can't get Audio to work. it keep saying no audio codec detected. can someone please help me. thanks.

Asus prime x299 Deluxe, Intel core i7 7820x

Are we talking about onboard audio or HDAU?

Onboard audio:

1.) If you did not adopt and use my SSDT, don't forget to add the CAVS -> HDEF ACPI replacement to your config.plist!

2.) Inject Audio ID "7"

3.) Use AppleALC.kext 1.2.7 and Lilu.kext 1.2.3

You have the same mainboard as I do. It MUST work like this..    

Edited by KGP-iMacPro

7 hours ago, KGP-iMacPro said:

Are we talking about onboard audio or HDAU?

Onboard audio:

1.) If you did not adopt and use my SSDT, don't forget to add the CAVS -> HDEF ACPI replacement to your config.plist!

2.) Inject Audio ID "7"

3.) Use AppleALC.kext 1.2.7 and Lilu.kext 1.2.3

You have the same mainboard as I do. It MUST work like this..    

Thanks for the response. I have no Audio at all, but How do i adopt your SSDT? do i need to select something in clover configurator?

2 hours ago, KGP-iMacPro said:

Well forget about my SSDT for now. Just do the steps I provided above. 

This will at least enable your onboard audio. 

Sorry I am not so good at this. 

Use AppleALC.kext 1.2.7 and Lilu.kext 1.2.3? do I put these in clover/kext/other?

I also downloaded your SSDT should i put them in Clover/ACPI/Patch?

Your help is greatly appreciated. 

Edit-Update: So I went ahead and adopt your SSDT and now i have audio but i do not have HD AUDIO. I am using a GTX 980TI is there something that i have to change in the SSDT? Thanks

Edited by blast44

2 hours ago, blast44 said:

Sorry I am not so good at this. 

Use AppleALC.kext 1.2.7 and Lilu.kext 1.2.3? do I put these in clover/kext/other?

I also downloaded your SSDT should i put them in Clover/ACPI/Patch?

Your help is greatly appreciated. 

Edit-Update: So I went ahead and adopt your SSDT and now i have audio but i do not have HD AUDIO. I am using a GTX 980TI is there something that i have to change in the SSDT? Thanks

It is impossible to explain you here how to properly adopt an entire SSDT. Please carefully study the simple example I refer to in my guide. 

Good luck

19 hours ago, KGP-iMacPro said:

It is impossible to explain you here how to properly adopt an entire SSDT. Please carefully study the simple example I refer to in my guide. 

Good luck

Being that we are using the same motherboard. in your config plist i see you have all dsdt patches disable.wich ones do i have to turn on? thanks. 

6 hours ago, blast44 said:

Being that we are using the same motherboard. in your config plist i see you have all dsdt patches disable.wich ones do i have to turn on? thanks. 

You can turn on all despite the CP -> PR replacements 

On 6/22/2018 at 3:47 PM, KGP-iMacPro said:

You can turn on all despite the CP -> PR replacements 

Ok so far so good I have been following your guide and advice and now I have almost everything up and running, the only issue I have is that I am not getting HDAU audio to work. please help. thanks

5 hours ago, blast44 said:

Ok so far so good I have been following your guide and advice and now I have almost everything up and running, the only issue I have is that I am not getting HDAU audio to work. please help. thanks

Please try to get the appropriate HDAU kext patch for your Nvidia GPU.. 

3 hours ago, KGP-iMacPro said:

Please try to get the appropriate HDAU kext patch for your Nvidia GPU.. 

Thanks again @KGP-iMacPro It is my 980ti that is not supported, because when I Replace it with my old 760 now everything is perfect. I now have to look around like you said to find a HADU kext for my 980TI. Thanks

6 hours ago, blast44 said:

Thanks again @KGP-iMacPro It is my 980ti that is not supported, because when I Replace it with my old 760 now everything is perfect. I now have to look around like you said to find a HADU kext for my 980TI. Thanks

You should not search for a HDAU kext, but for the appropriate HDAU kext patch for the GTX 980. The one implemented in the config.plist is for my GTX 1080 Ti... 

On 6/24/2018 at 4:53 PM, KGP-iMacPro said:

You should not search for a HDAU kext, but for the appropriate HDAU kext patch for the GTX 980. The one implemented in the config.plist is for my GTX 1080 Ti... 

I followed your Guide where you said that AMD Graphics cards are natively supported, so I went ahead and get a Radeon RX 580 8gb but now the ssdt is messed up. i had to move the OS X wifi card to the last slot since it can't fit in pci slot 3 with the the graphics card. and now with PC00 to PCI0 i loose graphics acceleration, but get it back whrni disable the patch. can you please make me a ssdt for Asus prime  x299 deluxe and Radeon Rx 580 8gb? your help is greatly appreciated. thanks.

8 hours ago, blast44 said:

I followed your Guide where you said that AMD Graphics cards are natively supported, so I went ahead and get a Radeon RX 580 8gb but now the ssdt is messed up. i had to move the OS X wifi card to the last slot since it can't fit in pci slot 3 with the the graphics card. and now with PC00 to PCI0 i loose graphics acceleration, but get it back whrni disable the patch. can you please make me a ssdt for Asus prime  x299 deluxe and Radeon Rx 580 8gb? your help is greatly appreciated. thanks.

I guess to go for a RX580 was not the best choice anyway (no iGPU implementation with SMBIOS iMacPro1,1). I you are still able, better change to a Vega 64 at least.  

On 6/27/2018 at 4:53 AM, KGP-iMacPro said:

I guess to go for a RX580 was not the best choice anyway (no iGPU implementation with SMBIOS iMacPro1,1). I you are still able, better change to a Vega 64 at least.  

I went and get the Asus Strix RX Radeon Vega 64 GPU but now I am having problems with the SSDT I had to move the wifi and the thunderbolt card one slot down because the GPU is so big that it is covering up slot 3 according to your nomenclature posted in your guide. can you please help me out. I will definitely buy you a beer at the end. thanks.

I have started working on the ssdt.

Edited by blast44