How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

KGP-iMacPro

iMacPro Build/Guide Feedback   

26 members have voted

1. 1. Does this guide help you in your endeavour?

• yes
    • no

This poll is closed to new votes

656 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, KGP-iMacPro said:

1.) With your Haswell/X99 system, you are in the wrong thread.. this is Skylake-X/X299

2.) There is a OC problem with Broadwell-E and Haswell-E under both 10.13.6 and 10.14 PB8.. thus the problem of your low scores is well identified.. solution: NONE so far.. 

I'm sorry for post in wrong thread. 

Does this problem affect performance?

3 minutes ago, KGP-iMacPro said:

If course, broadwell and haswell performance! No OC! Your CPU drives with 3 Ghz and less 

So,what is your suggession? back to the 10.12.6 or just stay at 10.13.6? I use this device for work.

2 hours ago, meaganmargaret said:

Okay, kgp, I am trying to get this to work.  I attempted a re-compile of your aml file and I replaced the Airport slot 3 with as much as I could with my slot 5 code.  I have been working on this for quite a while.....with no luck.

When I run a report, I don't see the Wireless in my PCI report.

Can you take a look at my adjusted aml file to see if you can see anything that could fix this?  I have been working on this for quite a while with no success......I would upload my ioreg, but it's too big....I can get it to you via other means.....in fact, I have....on that "other" hackintosh site....

SSDT-X299-iMacPro-Vega_slot5.aml

Can you upload your IOREG.sav to drop box or google drive? 

My little report.

On 7/3/2018 at 5:12 PM, Napka said:

Any USB device can wake up a computer, but nothing charges during sleep. External disks are losing connection and "Disk Not Ejected Properly" is shown on wake up. Including Time Machine disk, unfortunately. It looks like USB current during sleep is too low. I'm trying to find a solution, but out of ideas.

I haven't found a solution yet. When I try to fix USB power during sleep (UsbConnector = 3, kUSB* properties), USB current drops dramatically for this ports. At first, I've thought that's T2 chip controlling USB power. But now it looks like another chip (Apple 338S00268?) is doing power management.

With 10.13.6 update there're new properties for ports in IOReg: kUSBBusCurrentAllocation (=0x96) and kUSBBusCurrentSleepAllocation (=0). That matches my port current drops and power off during sleep. Of course, I couldn't inject those properties with SSDT. These values match real iMac Pro IOReg when nothing's plugged in port.

If you want to investigate, there should be properties kUSBWakePortCurrentLimit and kUSBSleepPortCurrentLimit. 0x834 should be enough. High values may lead to problems, too. UsbConnector must be set to 0 for USB2 and 3 for USB3 ports. Please note: you'll be unable to use this ports with most USB hardware! So I just set UsbConnector to 255 (or 0xFF, internal port) for all ports except one I'm playing with, and it's HS/USB2 companion.

Regarding TUF X299 Mark1 motherboard sensors:

On 7/3/2018 at 5:12 PM, Napka said:

Not all temperature, rpm, etc. sensors are available for motherboard configuration in Contents/Info.plist. I'm investigating this right now.

After playing with FakeSMC sensors sources and reading the NCT6796D datasheet, some internal motherboard sensors and fan RPM sensor are still mysterious to me. Maybe they are provided by some other chip. The funniest thing is that I can see them working in BIOS, I can see all values in the iOS app, but I can't see some sensors in MacOS, Windows, and even ASUS fan control software. I finished up plugging fans to visible motherboard case fans connectors. I can see water temperature sensor (temp sensor #1 input), air temperature sensor (temp sensor #2 input), pump and fans RPM. BIOS controls fans depending on water/air temperatures, so I'm happy with this for now.

As far as I can see it now, my TUF Mark1 motherboard setup works perfectly. It's time to upgrade, add thunderbolt board, etc.

Edited by Napka

Hi @KGP-iMacPro

Really trying really hard to follow all information about this hackintosh installation :)

I'm sorry if this sound a little bit annoying

I use an intel i9 7980XE and Rampage VI Apex, and right now I have successfully installed High Sierra 10.13.6 based on this great tutorial, really helpful, big thanks

My question is :

so what should I do about SSDT-x299-iMacPro-nvidia.aml ? (Since I use an Nvidia GTX 1080Ti)

should I put the SSDT-x299-iMacPro-nvidia.aml file to clover/ACPI/Patched folder (in the EFI folder system partition)? is it just copy and paste the file or I have to do something else? I really lost here :help: .... Actually I have try put the aml file to CLOVER/ACPI/Patched folder but seems like nothing change, I mean my PCI information list (in the system report) still show not like yours

and my hwmonitor not showing any CPU temperature on my hackintosh build (well it is compiled on my MacBook Pro, should this the problem?)

but so far everything seems working fine, sleep, wake

My system is on my signature

Thankyou

Edit :

ok I think I just sucessfully installed and just work fine

Edited by fireedo

27 minutes ago, Tony Arnold said:

@KGP-iMacPro I'll have a look at the SSDT TB3 problem you're facing as well, but it might be worthwhile posting what you have over in https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/323540-thunderbolt-drivers/?page=11 as well - if nothing else, it puts the problem in front of more people.

May I ask, which problem you are talking about? I don‘t face any.. everything works fine and as expected. Maybe you aren‘t up to date with your information? See my minimal-hotplug-injector.aml in the other forum! 

1 hour ago, Tony Arnold said:

You’d managed to force the thunderbolt family kext to load, but appeared to be stumped at implementing an appropriate _ini.

Ahhhh... you refer to full SSDT-9.aml of the iMac Pro dump! Honestly I don't think there is any solution...   

Edited by KGP-iMacPro

• 1 month later...

Hi All, great guide, it helped me perfectly set up my new Asus ROG x299-e on i9-7960x. I then built a twin computer and cloned via CCC. It boots and works fine, I only have 1 hiccup. Whenever I install a software, when the installer reaches the "Updating preboot volume" stage, the computer freezes, and upon restart it reports a previous KP, then when booted the program is installed fine. This seems to happen only on the cloned volume. Any hint on how to diagnose this/rebuild the APFS preboot? I have a feeling that it might have been ignored by CCC, and there are no options about it in the software, nor the KP generates any readable error code, justa . complete freeze.

Thanks in advance

On 9/5/2018 at 3:14 AM, Napka said:

My little report.

I haven't found a solution yet. When I try to fix USB power during sleep (UsbConnector = 3, kUSB* properties), USB current drops dramatically for this ports. At first, I've thought that's T2 chip controlling USB power. But now it looks like another chip (Apple 338S00268?) is doing power management.

With 10.13.6 update there're new properties for ports in IOReg: kUSBBusCurrentAllocation (=0x96) and kUSBBusCurrentSleepAllocation (=0). That matches my port current drops and power off during sleep. Of course, I couldn't inject those properties with SSDT. These values match real iMac Pro IOReg when nothing's plugged in port.

If you want to investigate, there should be properties kUSBWakePortCurrentLimit and kUSBSleepPortCurrentLimit. 0x834 should be enough. High values may lead to problems, too. UsbConnector must be set to 0 for USB2 and 3 for USB3 ports. Please note: you'll be unable to use this ports with most USB hardware! So I just set UsbConnector to 255 (or 0xFF, internal port) for all ports except one I'm playing with, and it's HS/USB2 companion.

After playing with FakeSMC sensors sources and reading the NCT6796D datasheet, some internal motherboard sensors and fan RPM sensor are still mysterious to me. Maybe they are provided by some other chip. The funniest thing is that I can see them working in BIOS, I can see all values in the iOS app, but I can't see some sensors in MacOS, Windows, and even ASUS fan control software. I finished up plugging fans to visible motherboard case fans connectors. I can see water temperature sensor (temp sensor #1 input), air temperature sensor (temp sensor #2 input), pump and fans RPM. BIOS controls fans depending on water/air temperatures, so I'm happy with this for now.

As far as I can see it now, my TUF Mark1 motherboard setup works perfectly. It's time to upgrade, add thunderbolt board, etc.

Hi, I've been trying to get my tuf1 to get boot but I haven't been able to get past the following trying various combinations of drivers and boot args.

Error allocating 0x#### pages at 0x####... alloc type 2

Couldn't allocate runtime area.

or

End Randomseed

++++++++++++

can you share what clover version you are using and which driver combination and boot args?  which bios are you using? Thanks!

4 hours ago, sensite said:

can you share what clover version you are using and which driver combination and boot args?  which bios are you using? Thanks!

Hi!

MacOS: 10.13.6

Clover revision: 4644

Bios 1401 with patches as described in the header message. I was able to install MacOS with unpatched BIOS, but it was slow and glitchy.

I'm busy with my project now, had no time to update BIOS, Clover and even MacOS :)

drivers64UEFI contents: ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi, AppleImageCodec-64.efi, AppleKeyAggregator-64.efi, AppleUITheme-64.efi, AptioInputFix-64.efi, AptioMemoryFix-64.efi, DataHubDxe-64.efi, FirmwareVolume-64.efi, FSInject-64.efi, SMCHelper-64.efi, UsbKbDxe-64.efi, VBoxHfs-64.efi.

Some of the drivers above are for FileVault2 boot support. I believe your problem is related to AptioMemoryFix-alike driver. Make sure you use the release version of AptioMemoryFix. Clover bundle may contain development version compiled from project git. Remove old memory-related drivers, e.g. OsxAptioFix*, OsxLowMemFixDrv, etc.

5 hours ago, sensite said:

Hi, I've been trying to get my tuf1 to get boot but I haven't been able to get past the following trying various combinations of drivers and boot args.

or

End Randomseed

++++++++++++

Did you implement a properly adjusted TSCResetAdjust.kext? Furthermore use original BIOS firmware 1503 und manually disable MSR register lock in your BIOS settings!

Good luck,

KGP

Edited by KGP-iMacPro

On 9/5/2018 at 3:14 AM, Napka said:

My little report.

Hi, I've been trying to get my tuf1 to get boot but I haven't been able to get past 

or

End Randomseed

++++++++++++

can you share what clover version you are using and which driver combination and boot args?

1 hour ago, KGP-iMacPro said:

Did you implement a properly adjusted TSCResetAdjust.kext? Furthermore use original BIOS firmware 1503 und manually disable MSR register lock in your BIOS settings!

Good luck,

KGP

Thanks Napka and KGP!! I mis read the MSR register lock config. I originally thought "Enable" was to disable the lock. I flipped the config in the bios and I'm able to get to the installer screen now. 

Edited by sensite

10 minutes ago, sensite said:

Hi, I've been trying to get my tuf1 to get boot but I haven't been able to get past 

or

End Randomseed

++++++++++++

can you share what clover version you are using and which driver combination and boot args?

Thanks Napka and KGP!! I mis read the MSR register lock config. I originally thought "Enable" was to disable the lock. I flipped the config in the bios and I'm able to get to the installer screen now. 

I always use the actual version of Clover. Right now it is 4717. 

• Like 1