Marvell (Aquantia) 10 Gb Ethernet support thread

d5aqoep
498 posts in this topic

On 3/7/2019 at 9:58 AM, d5aqoep said:

I have had 100% success in restoring the Apple's wrongly flashed firmware on AQC107, AQC108, AQN107 and AQN108 cards from Aquantia. You can flash back the correct MAC address printed on your card's sticker. The process has been outlined on

Link

here

Hi. Can you make a dump of firmware from Syba card? You should launch diag utility in interactive mode using command promt as administrator(diag.exe -i), then press "3" to enter "flash" submenu, then press "3" again "Save Flash contents to file" and also can you make a screenshot of "device info" submenu in diag utility? I want to compare Apple’s firmware, flashed to asus card, with syba FW. Thanks.

I have made a dump of Apple's flashed FW.

aqc107-afw.clx

Asus device info aqc107-afw.jpg

Edited by arz.sitnikov

• 1 month later...
On 3/5/2019 at 10:36 AM, d5aqoep said:

@Thireus

Did you manage to fix your MAC address? If not I may have a fix for you.

You can read the enclosed firmware readme file enclosed and flash just the MAC address.

Readme-Aquantia-Firmware.txt

Thank you d5aqoep, I haven't tried yet, but I understand where the issue is now. Everything makes sense now. So the issue is with MAC End, which must be set to 'FF-FF-FF' or maybe 'BB-FF-FF' with BB being the first byte of the end of the MAC address: 'AA-AA-AA-BB-XX-YY'. Or we can even set MAC End to be 'BB-XX-ZZ' with ZZ = YY + 1, while leaving count at 0x0.

Anyway, the most important bit is that my issue was caused by MAC End being lower than MAC Being + Count. ;)

I'll try to make the change and I will report back.

MAC OUI = MAC FIRST 3 BYTES

MAC BEGIN = MAC NIC BEGIN = MAC LAST 3 BYTES

MAC END = MAC NIC END = MAC LAST 3 BYTES LIMIT WHEN FLASHING MULTIPLE CARDS (must satisfy: MAC BEGIN + COUNT < MAC END)

COUNT = COUNTER THAT INCREMENTS 'MAC BEGIN' UNTIL IT REACHES 'MAC END' (used when flashing several cards in a row)

That's very misleading to name those variables begin and end... they could have named them MAC NIC BEGIN and MAC NIC END.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm happy to report it worked like a charm. My MAC address is back! :D

C:\diag\aqua\AQUANTIA\AMD64>diag --password !h:ahT8uW6 --aqc AQC107-Config.aqc

FLASH type = Winbond W25Q32
Erase duration 6362069 us
Starting Read Whole Flash . Pass
Starting Flash Update . Pass
Starting Flash Update . . Pass
Starting Flash Update . .  Bytes: 0x20000
  Bytes: 0x40000
 . . Pass
Starting Flash Update . . Pass

Override result = PASS

Thank you d5aqoep!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2018 at 8:49 AM, Mieze said:

Well, it has always been clear that this patch will most likely fail after the next update of the driver. Try to use the "built-in" patch which should still work as it doesn't rely on any specific code pattern.

240187790_Bildschirmfoto2018-05-28um00_42_40.png.da2006ff5af712a5b159f55ade9d2072.png

Hi.

Not sure if it happened earlier but I'm only noticing now.

The AQC107 on my ASRock X299 board now longer detects a cable as being plugged. I I believe it is the 10.14.5 update but I can't be certain.

Anyone else having this issue? Is there an update to this patch?

Thanks

JY

• Like 1

On 9/5/2018 at 9:48 PM, Allubz said:

Dear peeps,

I'm at a loss with my ASRock X299 XE board that has the AQC107 chip. I see user jya claims to have it running on this board, and I believe (s)he does, because I managed to get it to work in 10.13.3

Does the firmware flashing only work when updating from 10.13.2 to 10.13.3, or with any 10.13.3 installation?

Did you end up saving the original firmware by any chance?

Following update to Windows 1903 the card no longer works and it no longer works with macOS 10.15.5 either.

Only have it working with linux now.

I never made a backup.

I think I had one board replaced because I wrongly flashed it with the 10.13.3 AQC107 firmware via CSM-UEFI, rather than full UEFI. The other board after that functioned just fine, but I don't have it anymore and it runs 10.13.6 still, as far as I know.

You mean to say that with 10.14.5 the chipset stopped working? Not sure if others can confirm this, but you could always try a reflash with 10.13.3, or downgrade to a lower Mojave version to see if the firmware is still intact on the ACQ107. The Windows part I have even less a clue about, as Windows 10 updates tend to break anything you love, whether intentionally or, mostly, it just happens gl deal with it #M$

As I'm using my ASUS card in a machine which still runs the server version of High Sierra because I need the mail service, I'm unable to test but after taking a quick look at the driver and firmware kext, I can confirm that they both have been changed in 10.14.5.

The drivers version changed from 1.0.59 to 1.0.61 but the firmware's version remains 1 as it used to be in 10.14.3.

In case you are having trouble with the chip, please add "apple-axge-debug=0xff" to your boot arguments and check the kernel logs for corresponding output which might help to find out what exactly is happening. In case they added more checks, I might be able to create a new patch.

Mieze

Edited by Mieze
  • Like 1

I have Asus card.

Can I know How to test this card X299 system with 10GBe?

Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 10.05.01 PM.png

On 6/1/2019 at 6:46 AM, DSM2 said:

@nmanoSorry but what about connecting it to a network ? :hysterical:

I don't know about network

I install same card to X99 and X299 system.

How to transfer 4K files between X99 and X299?

• 3 weeks later...

I just installed the ASUS XG-C100C with the AQC107, and now - while the card performs fine on 10.14.5 - I have a weird issue with my RX580.

I have three screens connected (2x DP / 1x HDMI) and as long as the ASUS card is installed the HDMI screen is blacked out (even though MacOS sees that it's connected) and I have weird graphical glitches from time to time on the other two screens and the whole GUI seems rather slow. Everything goes back to normal when I either remove the ASUS card or unplug the HDMI cable.

In Windows everything runs smoothely with the card installed and all three screens.

I updated the firmware of the ASUS card to 3.1.84 which didn't change anything.

Any ideas how to solve that?

Bildschirmfoto 2019-06-24 um 16.08.41.png

Edited by fog_horn

13 hours ago, Mieze said:

@fog_horn Sounds like an EMI related problem. First of all, check cables and the system. Is it possible to move the ASUS XG-C100C to another slot?

Thanks for chiming in!

I tried a different slot and also removing other installed cards except graphics and the Asus to no avail.

As soon as the Asus is installed the HDMI ports on the RX580 stop giving me an output, but MacOS still sees a connected screen there.

The two screens connected to the DP port have a weird dark contrast and some artifacts and the GUI feels sluggish. When I unplug the HDMI cable everything goes back to normal immediately.

Booting into Windows with that exact same setup works as expected, output on all three screens and working 10Gbe. So hardware wise everything seems to be working just fine. 

Looks like a driver related conflict or something? That unfortunately goes over my head.

On 6/29/2019 at 1:15 AM, meaganmargaret said:

So, d5aqoep, are you using this firmware with both a Mac/Hack and Windows?   Can someone just update an Asus 10Gb card's Apple modified firmware with this?

I am using Syba Card which is having 107S chipset and is native with macOS. I have updated the card to 3.1.88 and it works flawlessly even in Catalina Beta 2. It also works as expected in Windows 10 v1903 with latest drivers from Aquantia website.

I also updated my Asus 10 GB and Aquantia 107N cards to this same firmware and both are not detected in macOS. So it clearly not the firmware but the chipset that matters. Maybe @Mieze can see what can be done and whether a simple kext to patch would suffice for these cards which are not native.

Native cards are just 3

1. Syba 10 GBE

2. Aquantia 10G Gaming (Black PCB)

3. Synology 10 GBE

I can only confirm 1st one but there are many reports that the 2nd and 3rd are compatible as well. No point in wasting time with Asus 10G cards. They are worthless with no macOS and no WOL support.

PS: I also have a QNAP 10 GBE card which was also not compatible with macOS but since 1.5 years, it is lying in my TS-653B server so I haven't bothered to update it's firmware yet.

Edited by d5aqoep

2 minutes ago, d5aqoep said:

I am using Syba Card which is having 107S chipset and is native with macOS. I have updated the card to 3.1.88 and it works flawlessly even in Catalina Beta 2.

I also updated my Asus 10 GB and Aquantia 107N cards to this same firmware and both are not detected in macOS. So it clearly not the firmware but the chipset that matters. Maybe @Mieze can see what can be done and whether a simple kext to patch would suffice for these cards which are not native.

Native cards are just 3

1. Syba 10 GBE

2. Aquantia 10G Gaming (Black PCB)

3. Synology 10 GBE

I can only confirm 1st one but there are many reports that the 2nd and 3rd are compatible as well. No point in wasting time with Asus 10G cards. They are worthless with no macOS and no WOL support.

Just want to make sure I am not missing anything. I had 3 Asus 10GB cards work on 3  separate systems (10.13.6 and 10.14.5) with stock firmware without any kext or any patches. I had used them for about 1 month+ so far with a average thru-put of about 500 MB/s, other then WOL, everything work as advertised. Please advise as I thought of trying out Syba 10 GBe also.

Thanks !

4 hours ago, Alex.C said:

Just want to make sure I am not missing anything. I had 3 Asus 10GB cards work on 3  separate systems (10.13.6 and 10.14.5) with stock firmware without any kext or any patches. I had used them for about 1 month+ so far with a average thru-put of about 500 MB/s, other then WOL, everything work as advertised. Please advise as I thought of trying out Syba 10 GBe also.

Thanks !

Interesting. I have ASUS XG-C100C card and it does not even get detected in macOS.

Syba 10 GBE is without a doubt the best choice for hackintosh. It is guaranteed to work in future macOS editions as well as it is the exact same chipset AQC-107S Apple uses in their iMac Pros and newer macMini.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2019 at 3:23 PM, d5aqoep said:

Interesting. I have ASUS XG-C100C card and it does not even get detected in macOS.

Syba 10 GBE is without a doubt the best choice for hackintosh. It is guaranteed to work in future macOS editions as well as it is the exact same chipset AQC-107S Apple uses in their iMac Pros and newer macMini.

Correct, the Syba have also drivers for Mac OS...

AQC107.jpg

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, meaganmargaret said:

@Mieze

So, have you or anyone, experimented with OpenCore?   I have tried to move your patch (for the Asus XG-C100C) from Clover to OC and no success yet.....

I tried putting it in Kernel -> Patch (see below), but it did not work.  Should the identified be IONetworking?

dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>AQC 107 10 GbE v2</string>
                <key>Identifier</key>
                <string>com.apple.driver.AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion</string>
                <key>Count</key>
                <integer>1</integer>
                <key>Enabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>YnVpbHQtaW4=</data>
                <key>InfoPlistPatch</key>