Marvell (Aquantia) 10 Gb Ethernet support thread

d5aqoep
498 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, dehjomz said:

Thanks for the tip.  If possible, could you post a screenshot of your config's patch in OpencoreConfigurator?  I've never used it so I'm probably gonna screw up the syntax...

I have switched back to Clover. OpenCore is the most unstable bootloader right now. It messes up my Windows Store App offline permissions for some reason.

But if you open OpenCore's config.plist in Opencore Configurator, it is under Kernel -> Patches tab. The entries are like clover.

On 7/6/2020 at 3:17 AM, d5aqoep said:

I have switched back to Clover. OpenCore is the most unstable bootloader right now. It messes up my Windows Store App offline permissions for some reason.

But if you open OpenCore's config.plist in Opencore Configurator, it is under Kernel -> Patches tab. The entries are like clover.

Thanks.  Will try it.  The issue I'm having is that the PCIe Aquantia card works natively w/o modification in Catalina, but not in Big Sur.  However, the same card in a thunderbolt controller works in Big Sur.  So clearly there is driver support in Big Sur... just trying to get it to work...

It's the "built-in" property which prevents the card from working when installed in an internal PCIe slot but as devices in an external PCIe box don't get this property, the driver accepts the card. Basically the same problem like in older versions of macOS but it looks like the Clover patch doesn't work anymore. Maybe we have to wait until this feature gets fixed in Clover or we have to find another way in order to perform the patch (Lilu plugin).

Mieze :cat:

Here is a temporary Aquantia patch for Big Sur, without any guarantees.

Kext to patch
com.apple.driver.AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion

Find
0F84B003 0000

Replace
660F1F44 0000

Basically what the patch does is ignoring the result of AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion::checkConfigSupport. Seems like changing the 'built-in' check isn't enough anymore.

• Like 1

I have this in my OC config. I have used the OpenCore Configurator. Hope this helps.

<dict>
                                <key>Base</key>
                                <string>__ZN27AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion5startEP9IOService</string>
                                <key>Comment</key>
                                <string>Aquantia AQC107 patch Big Sur</string>
                                <key>Count</key>
                                <integer>1</integer>
                                <key>Enabled</key>
                                <true/>
                                <key>Find</key>
                                <data>D4SwAwAA</data>
                                <key>Identifier</key>
                                <string>com.apple.driver.AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion</string>
                                <key>Limit</key>
                                <integer>0</integer>
                                <key>Mask</key>
                                <data></data>
                                <key>MaxKernel</key>
                                <string></string>
                                <key>MinKernel</key>
                                <string>20.0.0</string>
                                <key>Replace</key>
                                <data>Zg8fRAAA</data>
                                <key>ReplaceMask</key>
                                <data></data>
                                <key>Skip</key>
                                <integer>0</integer>
                        </dict>

Base is just limiting the replacement to a specific function, which is just a precaution.

1. Base
    Type: plist string
    Failsafe: Empty string
    Description: Selects symbol-matched base for patch lookup (or immediate replacement) by obtaining the address of provided symbol name. Can be set to empty string to be ignored.

What table parameter are you referring to?

4 hours ago, Shikumo said:

Kext to patch

Find
0F84B003 0000

Replace
660F1F44 0000

Basically what the patch does is ignoring the result of AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion::checkConfigSupport. Seems like changing the 'built-in' check isn't enough anymore.

Is this patch working for you?

Edited by Pavo

On 7/16/2019 at 9:32 AM, ergot said:

Correct, the Syba have also drivers for Mac OS...

AQC107.jpg

Have you tested this with Big Sur? 

For some reason my Aquantia AQC107 card that works flawlessly in Mojave and Catalina doesn't work in Big Sur, even with the Catalina Kext installed!! 

I also have cable matters AQC107 card in a thunderbolt enclosure and that one works with Big Sur with no patches.  Curious that the thunderbolt one works but native pcie doesn't............... something might be broken in the Beta.

Edited by dehjomz

On 7/9/2020 at 5:30 PM, Shikumo said:

Kext to patch

Find
0F84B003 0000

Replace
660F1F44 0000

Patch works well in Big Sur. Had to adapt it so that it’s only applied just once. Otherwise it breaks the kernel collection, and even if boot from prelinked kernel, applying the patch more than once breaks sleep. 

it’s so pleasing to see my Aquantia fire up when macOS Big Sur boots. 

do you think apple changed something in the kernel deliberately to prevent Aquantia cards from loading, or is it a bug of the beta?? Seems strange that cards that worked without need to patch in Catalina stops working in Big Sur, and that external thunderbolt Aquantia cards work but internal pcie ones don’t. Very strange. 

since I’m so curious, how did you come about the values to patch? care to walk me through it please ??

Edited by dehjomz

• 2 weeks later...

New Patch for Big Sur Beta 3 (Intel only), no guarantees. Apple has changed the driver internals, which now also contains AArch64 (ARM) code.

* com.apple.driver.AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion

* Find: 0F84C002 0000

* Replace: 660F1F44 0000

Again, this patch will disregard the (negative) result of a call to AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion107::checkConfigSupport(int&, int&) or AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion113::checkConfigSupport(int&, int&).

7 hours ago, Shikumo said:

New Patch for Big Sur Beta 3 (Intel only), no guarantees. Apple has changed the driver internals, which now also contains AArch64 (ARM) code.

Again, this patch will disregard the (negative) result of a call to AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion107::checkConfigSupport(int&, int&) or AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion113::checkConfigSupport(int&, int&).

Works well.  My pcie aquantia fires on with this in Beta 3.  My thunderbolt aquantia doesn't need this patch in Beta 3.

13 hours ago, Shikumo said:

This is also working for my AQ107 Aquantia 10Gb Nic on TRX40 board thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I just bought a TP-LINK TL-NT521 10GBe card with AGC107 chipset:

https://www.tp-link.com.cn/product_1520.html

It did work OOB, I've been tested for a few hours. Then I switched to Windows, installed the driver and benchmark the speed.  When I came back to my hackintosh, it now always show "Cable Unplugged".  The card is directly connected to and FreeNAS with X540-T2, that works on Windows so should not be any cable problem.

My OS version is 10.15.6 Catalina with OpenCore 0.5.9.  I've tried some patches but still no fix.

Thanks in advance.

1231707577_Screenshot2020-08-15at3_03_23PM.thumb.jpg.fbb18c733aad83efa6f8a6c796c5d8c3.jpg961764132_Screenshot2020-08-15at3_03_01PM.thumb.jpg.3800df547137813b7ea4acce4ac9a4fe.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/23/2020 at 4:12 AM, Shikumo said:

Hi, @Shikumo this patch doesn't seem to work on Beta 6.  Might it be possible if you took a look?

Also, if you could be so kind, how could we reverse engineer the driver to find the offsets on our own? Thanks.

Edit: Never mind, I see the error of my ways.  Previous patch still works. My issue was that I had maxkernel set to 20.0.0, but in Beta6, Apple bumped up the kernel version to 20.1.0... so the patch wasn't applying.  I set maxkernel to 20.9.0 and Boom, Aquantia FIRES ON!!

Edited by dehjomz

Hi there - I recently built a hack running Catalina 10.15.6 with OpenCore 6.0 and everything is working great!!  Except I am having an issue with getting the drivers to load for either of the two 10gig NIC cards that I tried.  Here are the specs on my build:                                                                                                                                                                       

Motherboard: ASUS WS-X299-SAGE                                                                                                      CPU: Intel i9 10980XE                                                                                                                              RAM: 256GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR3000 (PC4-24000)

The two NIC cards that I purchase and installed are: 

ASUS XG-C100C 10G NIC & Synology E10G18-T1 NIC

Both cards are expected to be plug and play right out of the box but once in the system, under PCI it list ethernet card but states the driver is not installed.  From my understanding there is a kext patch in OpenCore or Clover that tells the system whether the card is external or internal.  I am running BIOS 2002 and did try the kext patch to no avail.  I did order a SYBA 1 Port AQTiON AQC107 10 Gig NIC and am awaiting for it to be delivered in hopes that it would magically work :-) LOL..

At one point, I thought the issue could be due to Catalina so I did a fresh install of Mojave but it was the same results. 

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

On 9/6/2020 at 5:02 PM, CoaCoaPuff said:

Hi there - I recently built a hack running Catalina 10.15.6 with OpenCore 6.0 and everything is working great!!  Except I am having an issue with getting the drivers to load for either of the two 10gig NIC cards that I tried.  Here are the specs on my build:                                                                                                                                                                       

Motherboard: ASUS WS-X299-SAGE                                                                                                      CPU: Intel i9 10980XE                                                                                                                              RAM: 256GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR3000 (PC4-24000)

The two NIC cards that I purchase and installed are: 

ASUS XG-C100C 10G NIC & Synology E10G18-T1 NIC

Both cards are expected to be plug and play right out of the box but once in the system, under PCI it list ethernet card but states the driver is not installed.  From my understanding there is a kext patch in OpenCore or Clover that tells the system whether the card is external or internal.  I am running BIOS 2002 and did try the kext patch to no avail.  I did order a SYBA 1 Port AQTiON AQC107 10 Gig NIC and am awaiting for it to be delivered in hopes that it would magically work :-) LOL..

At one point, I thought the issue could be due to Catalina so I did a fresh install of Mojave but it was the same results. 

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

What's with bold font? Hehe

To tell you the truth, I have both the cards Asus and Syba and starting with Big Sur, they are not supported out of the box (OOTB). Asus needs the Clover/OpenCore kext patch available on 1st page of this topic in Catalina.

For Big Sur DP3 to DP6 work both cards need this following kext patch in OpenCore. (I don't use clover anymore)

* com.apple.driver.AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion
* Find: 0F84C002 0000
* Replace: 660F1F44 0000

Use OpenCore Configurator app to open your config.plist. Enter it in Kernel -> Patch section -> Identifier as com.apple.driver.AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion

On a different note, has anyone got their Aquantia cards to WOL from shutdown? Intelmausi kext has a new fork to enable WOL from shutdown. Something similar for our 10 Gbe cards would be phenomenal. 

Edited by d5aqoep

Guys, can anyone please clarify if it is possible to make AQC108-based 5gbps (Internal Asrock Z270 Supercarrier m/b nic) to work in Mojave? Do the same techniques mentioned earlier with 10.13.3 apply? I'd love to get it working if it is at all possible. Thank you,

Edited by TheLT
typos

I've tried to follow all through this tread, but I can't seem to find an explanation for what's happening to my system at the moment. 

I have an Asrock X570 Creator with the AQC107 10Gb NIC built in. I recently upgraded my firmware to the latest version, 2.70. This messed up my OpenCore boot, and I was forced to upgrade OpenCore and troubleshoot. Eventually it started booting again, after - among other things - adding npci=0x2000 to the boot flags. However, now en0 is my Intel I211 1Gb NIC and the AQC107 has no driver loaded and isn't "built-in". This is despite the kext patch from this thread and both an SSDT and an entry in DeviceProperties adding the "built-in" property. 

Can anyone explain this behaviour or suggest a fix? Thanks in advance. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a SoNNeT G10E-1X-E3 (chipset Aquantia AQC-107S) and it worked very well OOTB in Catalina (latest Version). Now (unfortunately I don't know exactly since when, because the hackintosh automatically switched back to WiFi) the card no longer works. In hackintool I can see the card, but the driver is not loaded. Withe Windows on the same machine the card still works fine. Two events could be "guilty":

1. OpenCore-Update from 0.6.0 to 0.6.1. But I trtied my "old" 0.6.0 EFI-Folder, and the Card did not work here, too. But it has definitely worked with this folder before.
  2. There was a big Windows 10 update (2nd NVMe). To be on the safe side, I have reinstalled the Sonnet Windows-Drivers. 

I performed also a complete "power-off" with no success.

Unfortunately, I am now overwhelmed by what to do...

Edited by Toskache
Typo

Hi. Thanks for this thread!!

I used to use an ASUS XG-C100C for my 10gbit needs in my hackintosh (9900k | Gigabyte Designare z390 | OpenCore 0.6.1).

It worked with Catalina 10.15.6. after applying the known patch ( 0F84B003 0000 -> 660F1F44 0000 ). Problem was: after booting into windows the NIC stopped working when rebooting into MacOS. I had to completely power off the machine to make the card working on MacOS again.

Not a big deal, but as I wanted to have something supported OOB I bought the Syba 10 Gbe which is supposed to work natively but I could not get this card to work at all. The card is working under windows but not with MacOS. I also updated the firmware to 3.1.100 which doesn't change anything. I thought its supported OOB, or do I have to do something else? Thanks

On 9/22/2020 at 9:12 AM, Toskache said:

I have a SoNNeT G10E-1X-E3 (chipset Aquantia AQC-107S) and it worked very well OOTB in Catalina (latest Version). Now (unfortunately I don't know exactly since when, because the hackintosh automatically switched back to WiFi) the card no longer works. In hackintool I can see the card, but the driver is not loaded. Withe Windows on the same machine the card still works fine. Two events could be "guilty":

1. OpenCore-Update from 0.6.0 to 0.6.1. But I trtied my "old" 0.6.0 EFI-Folder, and the Card did not work here, too. But it has definitely worked with this folder before.
  2. There was a big Windows 10 update (2nd NVMe). To be on the safe side, I have reinstalled the Sonnet Windows-Drivers. 

I performed also a complete "power-off" with no success.

Unfortunately, I am now overwhelmed by what to do...

Finaly I got it! For some reason, "System / Library / Extensions / IONetworkingFamily.kext" was entered in the OC config under Kernel->Force ...

Sacked and good.

On 9/25/2020 at 9:21 AM, Toskache said:

Finaly I got it! For some reason, "System / Library / Extensions / IONetworkingFamily.kext" was entered in the OC config under Kernel->Force ...

Sacked and good.

I also have that entry, but it's already disabled. Was it enabled in your case?