About This Mac crash solved *Properly*!

paulicat

128 posts in this topic

Thanks for all the reports folks.

I'll try to address a few issues.

Firstly, this kext will only fix About This Mac crash when these conditions are met:

1 - Intel CPU

2 - Enable CPUID Max Limit in your bios - I dont know of any other setting other than Enable or Disable.

3 - Loginwindow.app needs to be from 10.4.8, if you have backdated loginwindow to 10.4.4 it will crash, you will need to manually update your loginwindow back to 10.4.8 version.

4 - Serial number/Sales order numbers are coming from your bios. Often, the data is bogus and doesn't really make sense. Real macs might have this, but clones like ours don't.

5 - I will have to talk to semthex regarding the sleep issue. Thanks Thegn for testing/reporting that it works with old one, and not with mine. Sleep has never worked on my motherboard, so it makes it hard to test. Also, its odd that smbios would have ANY affect on sleep since there is no code in the kext (10.4.3 or 10.4.8) related to sleep. I could use any testers that have a working sleep in any form, to join the channel...

6 - Memory type and speed seem to be read wrong from the bios on non Intel branded motherboards. Apple has tweaked/coded things to be very specific to Intel branded motherboards.

7 - loginwindow.app is responsible for CPU recognition in About This Mac. This sucks because in most cases my smbios can recognize the proper CPU name, but since loginwindow.app doesn't read this data from smbios, we're stuck with Core or Unknown.

8 - I'm not sure why some of you are getting dependency errors on this kext. I suspect it has to do with how you've upgraded to 10.4.8, I've personally manually upgraded from 10.4.4 using the guide I wrote on my blog.

Here's what mine says:

AppleSMBIOS:

Version: 1.0.1

Last Modified: 13/11/06 11:32 PM

Get Info String: 1.0.1, Copyright Apple Computer, Inc. 2003

kext Version: 1.0.1

Load Address: 0x29003000

Valid: Yes

Authentic: Yes

Dependencies: Satisfied

Integrity: Kext is modified

Remember if you want to help out with testing, join #kernel on macspeak irc. I can build debug versions that will spit out more information. If something doesn't work for you, join the channel and help out. I only have one machine to test this on, so my testing is very limited. What else can I say, it works perfect on "my" system.

I'll keep this thread going till I run out of ideas.

To Paulicat, I don't know why we MUST Enable CPUID Max Limit in the bios? If I don't Enable CPUID Max Limit in my bios and My "about this MAC" works fine, should I Enable CPUID Max Limit? ( Because I tried Enable CPUID Max Limit, and I didn't see any difference!)

My Hardware's Informations: (Did I miss somethings?)

Machine Name:	Mac
 Machine Model:	ACPI
 Processor Speed:	3.01 GHz
 Number Of Processors:	1
 Total Number Of Cores:	1
 Memory:	1 GB
 Bus Speed:	800 MHz
 L2 Cache:	1 MB

Please explain for me!

Thank you!

I have both a Asus P5B Deluxe Wifi and an Abit AB9 PRO, most of the hardware on the mobos is identical and when I shift CPU, RAM, HDD and graphics card between these two comps I get that "About this Mac" works on the P5B but crashes on the AB9.

I will look into the BIOS settings to see if the CPUID-thing is what is making a difference (I seem to remember running the P5B with CPUID disabled and "About..." still working, thats why I wanna double check).

You have to make sure you havent backdated your loginwindow.

If you have backdated it, it will work without cpuid enabled in the bios.

So we can use your AppleSMBIOS.kext and loginwindow from 10.4.8?

Great news. Will search for it on the Apple 10.4.8 Combo update (I have installed my 10.4.8 with JaS DVD and of course 10.4.4 loginwindow). But everything is fine.

paulicat:

I have not manually backdated the login application. Is there an install option on the JAS 10.4.8 reseed DVD that does this that I *might* have selected?

The current state is that the P5B works with CPUID disabled and enabled on different semthex kernels and the mifki one that came with the DVD, but the AB9 does not work with *any* of the above mentioned combinations. So my question is, can it be a difference in how different vendors implement things in their BIOS? The P5B has AMI BIOS and the AB9 uses Award BIOS.

paulicat: Ok, I'm at it testing things again and this is the current status for my AB9:

With your SMBios.kext clicking "About this Mac" crashes Finder (quitting all running user applications), turns the screen black (with a blinking cursor in the top-left corner) for about one second, re-initializes video to what looks like the lowest resolution (no desktop, no mouse pointer), blinks once more (black) and sets screen to my chosen resolution, starts the desktop and shows a Finder window.

If I in Finder go into Programs->Utilities->System information the machine information in the top node on hardware does show information (however slightly incorrect; says Core Solo and only one core but I have a C2Duo). So this is definately an improvement to what it used to do.

Could the crash be that I have an old login.app?? I will try to find it on the Jas DVD and exchange it.

Ohh... just a final note, I'm currently on Semthex latest (k19).

To clear any fuzzyness. This smbios is not a "hack".

Its compiled/modified from 10.4.3 sources because those are the last available sources that are acpi complient. Thats it. There was a myth that smbios needed to be "cracked" and so forth, that was balony. The problem with 10.4.8 smbios kext is EFI. Plain and simple, nothing more.

This kext is also very limited in what it does for osx. In fact, all it does is read bios information in and publish it to the devicetree so that osx can use that data. This is where things like the bus speed, memory speed, amount of memory and so forth are read for use in things like System Profiler and About this Mac.

It does nothing more than that, nor would it have any effect on your aperture serial number issue.

As for sleep, I don't know yet whether thats related to this kext since sleep has never worked once on my pc. I'll talk to semthex about it.

I found now on my 915G/900GMA that I can load AppleEFIRuntime.kext via kextload without error.

I have a mifki kernel installed. Perhaps we could have a kernel that uses EFIRuntime?

Thanx - re-book

Ok, got it working!

Kernel beta5 did not do it (at least by itself), but after changing loginwindow.app to the in an install package (extracted with pacifist) from the Jas reseed DVD it is now working. "About this Mac" does not crash and displays the correct information too!

I still find it strange that my two mobos behave differently with all the same hardware besides the mobos and the same disk to boot from.

Anyway, one more happy customer! :) Thanks!

Ok, got it working!

Kernel beta5 did not do it (at least by itself), but after changing loginwindow.app to the in an install package (extracted with pacifist) from the Jas reseed DVD it is now working. "About this Mac" does not crash and displays the correct information too!

I still find it strange that my two mobos behave differently with all the same hardware besides the mobos and the same disk to boot from.

Anyway, one more happy customer! :thumbsdown_anim: Thanks!

Can you send me that file please?

my e-mail:

freesoftwareman@gmail.com

Hi, no intention to hijack this post, just tell me to bugger off if my question does not fit in here - I'm a bit of a newb so I don't get some programming stuff!

Seeing all this poking around the BIOS and cpuid settings, I was wondering: may be the issue of only one core working on Core Duos / C2D is due to an issue with (Dell or others) BIOS and not the kernel? Could this be the path to a solution?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Apparently, those Russian hackers posted Leopard cracks on freeflux, and now freeflux doesn't allow people to host files on it anymore. They definitely ruined it for everybody. Even Semthex is ticked because he can't host his kernels there anymore.

So having said that, where can we find the new AppleSMBIOS kexts? Freeflux has locked down all uploaded files.

1. Russian hackers NOT post Leopard cracks on freeflux.

2. Files AppleSMBIOS kexts are in the same place.

3. Please, be closer

Did you even check to see if what I was talking about is true?

FILE REMOVED, READ RULES Takuro

_http://paulicat.freeflux.net:

9: Copy FILE REMOVED, READ RULES AppleSMBIOS.kext to /System/Library/Extensions.

10: Copy FILE REMOVED, READ RULES IOATAFamily.kext to /System/Library/Extensions. You might be able to skip this step if you have and ICH7 or ICH8 based motherboard chipset. Trial and error :whistle:

Apparently, those Russian hackers posted Leopard cracks on freeflux, and now freeflux doesn't allow people to host files on it anymore. They definitely ruined it for everybody. Even Semthex is ticked because he can't host his kernels there anymore.

hey ... guys.....

are you undestand what you are talking about ?

one man did a great thing !!! hacked the Leo...

and all of you were soooooooooo happy when you see the fitst screen.

i'm confidence in this......

and now you all ready to kill this man, because you can't use free blog service to host files...

you are ungrateful ...........

Files was posted by USA citizen, not russian :(

Don't lie plz.

hey ... guys.....

are you undestand what you are talking about ?

one man did a great thing !!! hacked the Leo...

and all of you were soooooooooo happy when you see the fitst screen.

i'm confidence in this......

and now you all ready to kill this man, because you can't use free blog service to host files...

you are ungrateful ...........

Is better to have a legal working kernel than ilegal working leo, and there are sites that can host those anyway.