About This Mac crash solved *Properly*!

paulicat

128 posts in this topic

Managed to delete the old loginwindow.app and installed the one from the essential package on the 10.4.8 dvd. It doesn't seem to make any difference. About this mac doesn't crash and I havn't enabled cpuid in the bios.

Managed to delete the old loginwindow.app and installed the one from the essential package on the 10.4.8 dvd. It doesn't seem to make any difference. About this mac doesn't crash and I havn't enabled cpuid in the bios.

If you guys can work out this loginwindow issue, it means that it'll be the 3rd major breakthrough lately. First the 10.4.8 kernel was hacked, then ATi and nVidia drivers were given injected efi code to work properly, and now the 10.4.8 loginwindow will be fixed. It's been a good week. :)

If this is EFI-related, can't you take the same route as the video drivers? Inject EFI code?

BTW: The Semthex kernel now has proper CPU detection, for those of you annoyed by the "Core 2 Duo" in "About this Mac."

The SMBIOS from today works a bit better - About This Mac comes up for a second before the crash. I can see the proc speed and ram size reported correctly.

AMD 3200+ Venice, Nforce4 mobo.

Here's the crash log:

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)

Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0x0181aa10

Thread 0 Crashed:

0 ...ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore 0x903c374f IntlGetCache + 520

1 ...ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore 0x903c0f43 GetCachedItlbValue + 67

2 ...ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore 0x903c035a GetScriptVariable + 613

3 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x92ddb372 utGetCurrentScriptInfo + 61

4 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x92ddb314 utGetCurrentScript + 25

5 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x92ddae66 utNewTSMDocument + 403

6 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x92ddab65 InitializeDefaultContext + 121

7 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x92e54912 CallMyActivateTSMDocument + 52

8 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x92e058c2 TimerVector + 31

9 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x90828bc9 CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 3341

10 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x90827eb5 CFRunLoopRunInMode + 61

11 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x92dcdb90 RunCurrentEventLoopInMode + 285

12 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x92dcd1ce ReceiveNextEventCommon + 184

13 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x92dcd0ee BlockUntilNextEventMatchingListInMode + 81

14 com.apple.AppKit 0x9324f465 _DPSNextEvent + 572

15 com.apple.AppKit 0x9324f056 -[NSApplication nextEventMatchingMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:] + 137

16 com.apple.AppKit 0x93248ddb -[NSApplication run] + 512

17 com.apple.loginwindow 0x000056e1 0x1000 + 18145

18 com.apple.loginwindow 0x000052a6 0x1000 + 17062

19 com.apple.loginwindow 0x0001acb9 0x1000 + 105657

Thread 1:

0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x9003f3df mach_msg_overwrite_trap + 7

1 com.apple.loginwindow 0x0000bf7a 0x1000 + 44922

2 libSystem.B.dylib 0x90023d87 _pthread_body + 84

Thread 2:

0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x9000fb5c read + 12

1 libSystem.B.dylib 0x90023d87 _pthread_body + 84

Thread 0 crashed with X86 Thread State (32-bit):

eax: 0x0181aa00 ebx: 0x903c3555 ecx: 0xbfffef68 edx: 0x0181aa00

edi: 0xbfffee18 esi: 0x00000000 ebp: 0xbfffede8 esp: 0xbfffeda0

ss: 0x0000001f efl: 0x00010206 eip: 0x903c374f cs: 0x00000017

ds: 0x0000001f es: 0x0000001f fs: 0x00000000 gs: 0x00000037

Binary Images Description:

0x1000 - 0x4bfff com.apple.loginwindow 4.6.1 /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow

0x205000 - 0x22afff com.apple.DisplayServices 1.8.2 /System/Library/LoginPlugins/DisplayServices.loginPlugin/Contents/MacOS/DisplayServices

Ok all,

About This Mac crash is finally fixed properly.

Here is a link to a proper 10.4.8 AppleSMBIOS.kext stripped of efi calls.

Copy it to /System/Library/Extensions as usual and repair permissions.

http://www.filefactory.com/dlf/f/0ed03d/b/...7cf18d57549b247

Click on "Click here to begin your download"

**Note: Memory speed might not show properly, Im still looking at that. However cpu speed should be fixed now.

Second part of the crash puzzle is to enable cpuid max limit in your bios. If you don't have this option, I don't know of a fix for it.

Report back here for success reports please.

Cheers!

I tried but still crash!!!

My CPU informations: There was an error while gathering this information.

What should I do?

Ok, this one addresses the ioreg -l problem. Its now working properly.

AMD People might have better luck with this one to.

http://download.yousendit.com/911651FB4863A455

Asus A8N-SLI nForce4 / Athlon64 fx-60 dual-core /

This works with the 10.4.8 loginwindow. About this Mac now opens, but it does show unknown processor and 0 ram speed. I'm using the 10.4.4 spplatformreporter so I get some information in system profiler. I tried 10.4.4 loginwindow with this smbios and it crashed.

AMD is definitely being a pain in the rear.

I dont have amd, so its kinda hard for me to test.

Some people like phor2zero have it working on AMD, but i dont know the reason why.

Some notes: This smbios is only good for 4.8 loginwindow. This smbios does not fix Hardware Overview in System Profiler yet. I'm looking at it though...

OK, I tested paulicat's newest hacked SMBIOS on my Asrock Conroe945G-DVI with mifki's kernel. It works well, "about this mac" does not crash any more. But I got suspicious when I started Aperture and it asked me for a new serial number. Also computer doesn't wake from sleep any more.

Exactly what does this hack do?! I assume that most of us don't want to mess up our systems too much in order to only cure the "about this mac" window. I personally didn't want to fix this by downgrading loginwindow back to 10.4.4 because I'd rather just not click on "about this mac" than have a system of mixed parts from different old versions of OS X. The community has worked hard to achieve a solid 10.4.8 system, and I like the idea of having as complete 10.4.8 as possible to ensure stability.

However, something should be done for "about this mac". I would be more than happy with a fix that only disables the whole "about this mac" function altogether. The point is that the only real harm is done when I accidentally click on "about this mac" and the crash wipes down my open applications... You can always reach the necessary extra info by manually launchin system profiler.

To clear any fuzzyness. This smbios is not a "hack".

Its compiled/modified from 10.4.3 sources because those are the last available sources that are acpi complient. Thats it. There was a myth that smbios needed to be "cracked" and so forth, that was balony. The problem with 10.4.8 smbios kext is EFI. Plain and simple, nothing more.

This kext is also very limited in what it does for osx. In fact, all it does is read bios information in and publish it to the devicetree so that osx can use that data. This is where things like the bus speed, memory speed, amount of memory and so forth are read for use in things like System Profiler and About this Mac.

It does nothing more than that, nor would it have any effect on your aperture serial number issue.

As for sleep, I don't know yet whether thats related to this kext since sleep has never worked once on my pc. I'll talk to semthex about it.

Its compiled/modified from 10.4.3 sources because those are the last available sources that are acpi complient. Thats it. There was a myth that smbios needed to be "cracked" and so forth, that was balony. The problem with 10.4.8 smbios kext is EFI. Plain and simple, nothing more.

Paulicat, what is the difference between Your SMBIOS.kext (getinfo 1.0.9) and the 10.4.5 SMBIOS included in mifki's package (getinfo 1.0.6, which used to crash some machines) ?

The link is dead... "The download limit has been reached for this file"

Do you have another source?

This kext is also very limited in what it does for osx. In fact, all it does is read bios information in and publish it to the devicetree so that osx can use that data. This is where things like the bus speed, memory speed, amount of memory and so forth are read for use in things like System Profiler and About this Mac.

It does nothing more than that, nor would it have any effect on your aperture serial number issue.

As for sleep, I don't know yet whether thats related to this kext since sleep has never worked once on my pc. I'll talk to semthex about it.

paulicat,

Thanks for clearing things up! I never even knew there were 10.4.3 sources available... are they still available somewhere? I'd be interested in looking at the 10.4.3 SMBIOS code vs the 10.4.8 version.

I have tested several times with 10.4.4 SMBIOS (which came with mifki's kernel) vs your newest version. Every time I change the kext, Aperture requests the serial number again. It seems like it thinks that the hardware has changed, which in a way makes sense because the SMBIOS has to do with the hardware specifications. Naturally, we would like to use a SMBIOS that makes our OS X boxes to look most like real mac hardware. Of course we don't want it reporting any non-core duo processors or other suspicious hardware for applications.

Paulicat , just wanted to say that with the other smbios,the one thats in all the installs by default,I have s1 sleep and monitor sleep working.I let the pc sleep for 10 hours last night and it woke right back up.

this is with semthex's latest kernel.

Ok, seems yousendit sucks ass.

When I get home tonight I'll put it on my blog.

As for people that are still experiencing crashes, be sure to enable CPUID in bios, if you don't have that option, you're pretty much screwed since loginwindow.app from 10.4.8 has a cpuid check in it.

Hi,

may I ask

one of the 200.000 downloaders

to do the hard job

of uploading prolly 48KB

and make a mirror for the AMD version?

I know this may :) up your webconnection and will take hours.

:D:sorcerer: