About This Mac crash solved *Properly*!

paulicat

128 posts in this topic

anoynimouss is right, we never posted anything illegal in public places (i mean forums/blogs and so on). we uploaded some files to popular file sharing services and then somebody else posted them on freeflux so it's really lie that we ruined something

I hope you'll express regret for this lie

boo50, thank you for support

macgirl, if you want legal working kernel you need to buy mac, there's no way to get any version of macos to work on pcs legally, please don't say that only our work is illegal

trie, for your information AFAIK the Semthex kernel (along some others) is perfectly legal, I did not talk about the whole installation of Mac OS, even so you can buy the Retail Tiger Disk and install it wherever you want, there are no legal specifics about using it in other HW.

Also, I have a Mac but that doesnt make my kernel legal only because I own a Mac, does it?

trie, for your information AFAIK the Semthex kernel (along some others) is perfectly legal, I did not talk about the whole installation of Mac OS, even so you can buy the Retail Tiger Disk and install it wherever you want, there are no legal specifics about using it in other HW.

Also, I have a Mac but that doesnt make my kernel legal only because I own a Mac, does it?

what magic semthex did with his kernel to make it legal?)) Nothing! of course everything compiled from open sources is legal (however further development violates new version of APSL) (and also he violates apsl by not providing sources)

but

1. kernel w/o special secret keys will NOT work except in single-user mode

2. his binary distribution contains these keys (for example 'karma poem') and therefore illegal

also it's stupid to talk about legality of his kernel itself because it's used together with other system components and I don't think somebody here will buy tiger retail disk to install osx on pc.

and also..

you can buy the Retail Tiger Disk and install it wherever you want, there are no legal specifics about using it in other HW.

how are you going to install tiger from retail disk to standard pc without tpm chip and without emulating it (and therefore breaking DRM)?

To compile the kernel to run with GUI, you need Apple's "secret" key (which isn't so secret). Kernel sources published without the key are legal. Kernels compiled with the key are ... ?

There is no Intel Tiger retail disk being sold by Apple. Only restore disks received when you purchase a Mac.

Reverse engineering the OS violates the license you agree to when you buy the OS (ie pay for the license (permission) to use the Apple-created/owned software). Modifying the open source software is legal if it complies with the APSL, but not all of the software that makes up OSX is open source.

what magic semthex did with his kernel to make it legal?)) Nothing! of course everything compiled from open sources is legal (however further development violates new version of APSL) (and also he violates apsl by not providing sources)

Oh, I see, so his binaries are not permited in the blog also.

but

1. kernel w/o special secret keys will NOT work except in single-user mode

2. his binary distribution contains these keys (for example 'karma poem') and therefore illegal

So no GUI in single-user-mode.

and also..

how are you going to install tiger from retail disk to standard pc without tpm chip and without emulating it (and therefore breaking DRM)?

So you are very new at this or what?

If you read the very early posts you can find that Deadmoo used my method to create the first step of installing OSX86.

You can install Tiger (unibin of course) with PearPC, at first and without upgrading it conserves the whole Universal Binaries, then you can convert or copy that installation on an image or to a partition, of course it needs patches, but the very first installation was legal.

There is no Intel Tiger retail disk being sold by Apple. Only restore disks received when you purchase a Mac.

I read somewhere that the new Retail Disks are Universal :blink:

Anyway, you can purchase the Dev Kit, or be an Apple Developer, then those Disks are not Restore Disks, they have the whole enchilada :(

I read somewhere that the new Retail Disks are Universal

Apple Store doesn't yet reflect that. Still says need G3-G5 and no mention of Intel. Couild be out of date, I suppose.

Anyway, you can purchase the Dev Kit, or be an Apple Developer, then those Disks are not Restore Disks, they have the whole enchilada

To best of my knowledge, you have to be a Developer to get the Dev Kit (free), but the minimum Developer membership to receive it costs $500 per year. Although there is a Student membership which qualifies at $99.

To best of my knowledge, you have to be a Developer to get the Dev Kit (free), but the minimum Developer membership to receive it costs $500 per year. Although there is a Student membership which qualifies at $99.

and if you pay $500 you'll get leo too)

Ok, let's put the whole Russian conspiracy thing aside now...

Anyway, bottom line: FreeFlux is giving a Permission Denied error for all the files on the blog, regardless of whatever reason they might've decided to pull all hosted files apparently. The only file I was able to find was the original AppleSMBios that was edited, which had tons of problems displaying CPU data and correct memory speeds.

Does anybody got the latest AppleSMBios kext? For warez reasons, don't post it here. If you could PM me, I'd appreciate it.

Ok, this flamewar is kind of :angel: so please keep the thread clean.

However, I just tried to download the AppleSMBios.kext and it works. It worked the other day too. Could it be that they have only restricted download from certain ip-ranges? Try again Takuro.

This kind of flamewar is not just stupid but totaly wrong. The kernel I do is legal by local law, even with containing karma check, which is public domain now. Starting a flamewar of jsut for the attemp to insult others work is worst behaviour I have seen for years. I thought your spam attack to my blog would but ...

The kernel in it's current form is perfectly legal based upon the current laws in this coutry and the country the files are hosted. My file distribution has been reenabled on my request by freeflux and was never in any case been switched of becasue of my distribution, but because of the distribution of Leo files in gerneral via this service and has been a global change.

Since APSL allows a development beta phase and kernel is not a final product yet (so modifications are not finished yet), it can be closed upon completion and released accoring the terms of license as the FINAL, public release version.

Also the beta test is restricted to a group of users on the IRC channel too.

Noone ever said this is closed source but unfinished work is not a final modification at all, so the final modification as required will be released upon finishing it.

Now end this :dev: .... :angel:

This kind of flamewar is not just stupid but totaly wrong. The kernel I do is legal by local law, even with containing karma check, which is public domain now. Starting a flamewar of jsut for the attemp to insult others work is worst behaviour I have seen for years. I thought your spam attack to my blog would but ...

The kernel in it's current form is perfectly legal based upon the current laws in this coutry and the country the files are hosted. My file distribution has been reenabled on my request by freeflux and was never in any case been switched of becasue of my distribution, but because of the distribution of Leo files in gerneral via this service and has been a global change.

Since APSL allows a development beta phase and kernel is not a final product yet (so modifications are not finished yet), it can be closed upon completion and released accoring the terms of license as the FINAL, public release version.

Also the beta test is restricted to a group of users on the IRC channel too.

Noone ever said this is closed source but unfinished work is not a final modification at all, so the final modification as required will be released upon finishing it.

Now end this :dev: .... :angel:

TPM key that your kernel includes (at least binary version I have) is also in public domain now!? or maybe you got it officially from apple?

again, not we started this flamewar. we only answer your stupid words about us, our work (eg. on leo) and that we caused some problems with freeflux. we won't leave such {censored} unanswered.

TPM key that your kernel includes (at least binary version I have) is also in public domain now!? or maybe you got it officially from apple?

It is basicly not even a TPM key.

again, not we started this flamewar. we only answer your stupid words about us, our work (eg. on leo) and that we caused some problems with freeflux. we won't leave such {censored} unanswered.

I can not remmber posting to this discussion anytime before but I remember a spamattack including mailing and mass comment spamming. Additional to that spamming and unallowed Leo file distribution on IRC, insultment and attemped hacking on my freeflux account.

You migth re-read the thread anyway.

And now I hope this is finally over in here, that is really dicusting. I will keep of this now, have a nice day.

Semthex: I have a question regarding the original topic of this thread. My sleep/wake works using the AppleSMBios.kext found in this thread using either mifki's kernel or your's up to beta 5. I tried both beta 7 and 8 and my machine does not wake using those kernels. Have any idea what might have broken this?

Thanks for all your hard work!

So you are saying you legally included code that decrypts binaries to your code? Wow:)

mailing? I never mailed you. Comments in your blog? This is because you deleted my comment(i assume because you can't talk normally and can only delete unwanted posts) links on irc?That was by mistake,sorry.Hacking? This is lie.

you started this by saying {censored} about mifki on irc,we can't leave this unanswered

Wait,wait! Then r2d2 is legal? Because kernel includes it and you say kernel is legal. Then no problems!

We will distribute leo patch as patch for kernel (not kernel itself) and r2d2 and our work will be perfectly legal too. The fact that he is alive isn't proof that his work is legal,why you writing so stupid things

All im saying is semthex's source is legal when he finsihes the kernel its legal, but if he starts another project it will be illegal (due to the new aspl) , Leo wont work as its still a beta and apple is touchy about betas. and dont take things so literally (about him being alive),

binaries are legal amongs the beta testers (which form the irc channel) so any1 who joins is a beta tester and is hence entitled to recieve the binary so its legal, he doesnt distribute (i.e he doesnt post direct download links), he just invites people to his beta testing room, so its all 100% legal, even the binaries (if ur a beta tester, which everyone is lol)

Ok you seem to be pretty thick

1) SEMTHEX KERNEL != Pirated, becuase its made from open source

2) Semthex Kernel = Legal because of the old APSL

3) Its legal for betas to be distributed as the APSL allows it

4) Im talkign about Semthex's kernel here and anything made under the old APSL, its all legal. But the new license doesnt allow that anymore, but as the project wasnt started under the new APSL it doesnt matter, they are still bound by the rules of the old APSL license

However, I just tried to download the AppleSMBios.kext and it works. It worked the other day too. Could it be that they have only restricted download from certain ip-ranges? Try again Takuro.

It seems that between now and last night, he's moved the file to hostclip.com. FreeFlux only cut their file hosting recently, so you probably managed to download it off his blog before it happened. Either way, at least it's back up.

The last 10 or so posts in this thread might need to be pruned to maintain coherence. :angel:

This stops now. I have tried to be patient, I have tried to be fair. Next person to post these off topic accusations here or in any other thread will be moderated. The childishness displayed here is beyond all reason, and can only be considered provcative.

Ok to get back on topic so that no one loses their cool (yay!):

I have tried several different loginwindow files, the latest semthex kernel (and other versions as well), various AppleACPIPlatform kext, and various AppleSMBIOS kext and About this Mac still crashes Finder thought Profiler works fine. I tried various combinations of each just to see, who knows I figured, maybe I'll get lucky, right? I also tried enabling/disabling HT. No dice :thumbsup_anim:

Unexpected side-effect - it will auto-mount my Samba shares upon restarting Finder (I have shortcuts placed in my Login Items under my profile that ever since I upgraded to 10.4.8 stopped auto-mounting at initial startup, yet I can double-click shortcuts I created in my Home folder for easy access.)

Also running TITAN kext for NVidia support just in case that may cause the issue.

Specs in sig...(I hope) if anyone wants to take a stab. Not a huge deal though as everything else works like a charm.

Thanks!

EDIT:

Ok, so I decided to do a full re-install after backing up everything. After installing 10.4.8 form the JaS reseed, I used Prasys's auto-updater to update to Semthex's latest kernel. Quick reboot (and I do mean that literally) and all seems well. Not quite sure what the issue was before but all is well now. Plus it gives me a clean slate to work from (I installed a lot of software to play with and well, let's say I had stuff on there I completely forgot about!)

Edited by kingmac984