Vega Frontier Edition on High Sierra

jnolla

721 posts in this topic

No problems with stability. 

@citizin

Which card do you have ? Frontier ? Air or Liquid ?

The fan on my Frontier Air is running full speed nearly all the time, how about your card ?

None yet, still testing.  XFX vega 56 in fractal R5. Great airflow with a noctua fan mounted on the side panel for extra cooling to the vega card.

Wanted to verify o/s compatibility, so far so good. Time to order a waterblock for it, then the 64 bios flash. 

• Like 1

None yet, still testing.  XFX vega 56 in fractal R5. Great airflow with a noctua fan mounted on the side panel for extra cooling to the vega card.

Wanted to verify o/s compatibility, so far so good. Time to order a waterblock for it, then the 64 bios flash. 

Dear Citizin.

Is it possible to share any files to make this work on our 10.13.1 release? 

Can we just dump the kext file, and be done?

Can you test Uningine Valley to see if it works in ExtremeHD without disabling anti-aliasing/multi-screen.    

I tested and tried in Sierra, only 7mb would catch.    Its weird because in December we saw Vega10 show up in the drivers and controllers and its still there but not enough for real support.    I tried putting the HS drivers in Sierra as well but that didn't work either.

Sorry I missed your reply thanks for the confirmation.

I don't much much about that.  Here's the 10.13.2b1 AMD Kext's  from mmy s/l/e.  There unmodified vanilla versions, i have no idea if they will work on any previous versions. 

Thanks a lot! I don't have 2 macs running at the moment, so I will share this file for someone more risky to test if it will work.

My main issue is Final Cut Pro X does (on some operations) the very same freezing/crashing incident as Chrome (system lock up - GPU fan starts spinning constantly and is very audible). Hopefully this would fix this problem too :-)

Citizen if you can use Chrome with Hardware acceleration turned on, and go to website: www.tv2.dk  (danish tv + news) - and see if it crashes/freezes your computer?

Thanks again, for this test and reporting. Such great news.

I tested them on 10.13.1 and they worked but without hardware acceleration.

Hmm. I hope it's not a dead end, as 10.13.2 is probably a long way out (crossing fingers it's not). 

Hopefully someone with skills to know how to make the link between the kext and the system to make them co-operate, to get the benefits of no freeze systems + hardware acceleration.

Thanks a lot! I don't have 2 macs running at the moment, so I will share this file for someone more risky to test if it will work.

My main issue is Final Cut Pro X does (on some operations) the very same freezing/crashing incident as Chrome (system lock up - GPU fan starts spinning constantly and is very audible). Hopefully this would fix this problem too :-)

Citizen if you can use Chrome with Hardware acceleration turned on, and go to website: www.tv2.dk  (danish tv + news) - and see if it crashes/freezes your computer?

Thanks again, for this test and reporting. Such great news.

Website loads without any issue and main video plays without any artifacts or with the fan spinning up. 

@citizin Can you describe your upgrade process here from High Sierra (17A365) to the new beta? Thanks!

Joined the beta program, installed the beta from the app store. made sure to click the boot from install disk in clover, and it upgraded without any issues. 

4790k + gigabyte z97 gaming 5 + samsung 512gb 950 pro

Hmm. I hope it's not a dead end, as 10.13.2 is probably a long way out (crossing fingers it's not). 

Hopefully someone with skills to know how to make the link between the kext and the system to make them co-operate, to get the benefits of no freeze systems + hardware acceleration.

I noticed in either the crash reports or the console.app it was the x5000 kext that was erroring out. Did you load that one too?

• Like 1

I noticed in either the crash reports or the console.app it was the x5000 kext that was erroring out. Did you load that one too?

Thanks for testing the Website. Great that it works!

I haven't tested it yet, but a couple posts up MMido tried both Kexts but got no Hardware Acceleration. 

If I test these, should I put them into clover "EFI/.../... other/kexts goes here" ? in that case I can always boot from USB to save my system incase it goes haywire :)

@citizin When I try upgrading to 10.13.2 it reboots but I don't get the option to boot into the installer, I'm on 10.13.1 beta 5, any chance you ran into this issue and/or know how to fix it? Basically Clover just tells me to boot into OS X again and it does, but without running the update. I tried it a couple of times, same result.

Also what version of Clover are you running?

Thanks!

Thanks for testing the Website. Great that it works!

I haven't tested it yet, but a couple posts up MMido tried both Kexts but got no Hardware Acceleration. 

If I test these, should I put them into clover "EFI/.../... other/kexts goes here" ? in that case I can always boot from USB to save my system incase it goes haywire :)

I have no idea, i would think they would conflict with the ones in s/l/e.  When the drivers crashed before it would kick me back out to the login manager.  I would assume the kexts are loaded just before the window manager is. 

@citizin When I try upgrading to 10.13.2 it reboots but I don't get the option to boot into the installer, I'm on 10.13.1 beta 5, any chance you ran into this issue and/or know how to fix it? Basically Clover just tells me to boot into OS X again and it does, but without running the update. I tried it a couple of times, same result.

Also what version of Clover are you running?

Thanks!

I'm running the latest version of clover.  Main os drive is uefi, samsung 950 pro nvme formatted apfs. 

High Sierra 13.2 has much better support for the Vega cards, I'm getting Windows 10 level Geekbench scores now since the update.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-11-04 at 9.31.51 PM.png

I'm just having heaps of trouble getting to 10.13.2...

Hoping that soon it gets to public beta.

I heard that it's solved the hardware acceleration issues with Chrome, and hopefully my sporadic CAD GPU crashes...

Is anyone utilizing the iMac Pro SMBIOS since it comes with a Vega 56 GPU?

I'm just having heaps of trouble getting to 10.13.2...

Hoping that soon it gets to public beta.

I heard that it's solved the hardware acceleration issues with Chrome, and hopefully my sporadic CAD GPU crashes...

I had to remove lilukext to get past KP. After installed I replaced it.

OpenGL app Uningine runs in Extreme HD mode now without tearing, and now open Cl match’s Windows.

Is anyone utilizing the iMac Pro SMBIOS since it comes with a Vega 56 GPU?

I have, but for me it hasn’t made a big difference. I get same bench scores with Mac Pro 6.1 as with iMac 18.3 and iMac 19.1. But I’m using an i5 6500: or pentium g3258, and or a Ryzen 7 1700. A true xeon chip may make a difference but my benchmarks seem to be as high as the new Intel Xeon as far as the card goes.
  • Like 1

OpenGL app Uningine runs in Extreme HD mode now without tearing, and now open Cl match’s Windows.

I have, but for me it hasn’t made a big difference. I get same bench scores with Mac Pro 6.1 as with iMac 18.3 and iMac 19.1. But I’m using an i5 6500: or pentium g3258, and or a Ryzen 7 1700. A true xeon chip may make a difference but my benchmarks seem to be as high as the new Intel Xeon as far as the card goes.

Very nice.

What about the fanspeed on the GPU? I hear it's spinning up quite a bit.

Very nice.

What about the fanspeed on the GPU? I hear it's spinning up quite a bit.

It is, it spins up during boot then goes silent at log in. Which is contrary to the usual rev up just before the log in (the wooosh) After about 5-10 seconds it speeds up again even without opening any apps or in idle mode. Running benches like Luxmark Ball or Uningine Valley it doesn’t slow afterwards. It may be that becuase they increased the performance levels the fan settings are on extra safe 100% mode. They probably need to tweak the AutoWattMan settings.

Besides the fan settings though it runs great, or much better than in 13.1

• Like 2

You're right, the vega works way better with 10.13.2!

I still get kp when I put lilu and whatevergreen back in though. It's only cosmetic for me (with those kexts my GPU shows as vega FE) but I'll look more closely at some point to get it going.

I'm just doing a CCC now that I have a good system, then I'll do some testing.

I had to do a clean install btw and migrate my data.

edit: YAY!!! my CAD software is no longer crashing the GPU randomly. I'm very happy.

Spotify the app is working now.

But you're right again, my little blue activity lights are going crazy so if I didn't have an EK waterblock the fans would be pretty loud. It's obviously not right yet, but better than before.

• Like 1

Now it’s time for the 13.2.2 update, I’ll dive into it and we’ ll see what happens with the fans.

I'm running 17C67b. I think thats the beta 2.

And I just put in the latest lilu and whatever green kexts and no more kp :)

All my GPU benchmarks are 20 to 40% better. Now comparable with the windows ones. 

On the down side:

I did a tiny movie of the GPU light behavior with no load on it.

20171107_160159.mp4.zip

On the down side:

I did a tiny movie of the GPU light behavior with no load on it.

Thanks for reporting your experience too.

I have never looked inside my cabinet - so can you tell me the results of your video? Is it running full speed with no load?

I have never looked inside my cabinet - so can you tell me the results of your video? Is it running full speed with no load?

Mine Also does this.  I want to say only with 2 displays connected, but I could be wrong.  It's not something I noticed before I set both up.

I have noticed some crashing during full screen games with dual displays set up, hopefully this is fixed. 

Doing a time machine back-up now, I don't see the update yet, but my (canadian) app store is always slow at showing me the new beta updates. 

• Like 2

Not full speed so much as all the lights flickering, almost like a disk light when it's indexing or something. It almost stops when I close all windows and sometimes it stops when windows are open. It all seems a bit random. Not that we know much about how metal works, but running Safari (metal) vs Chrome (not metal) doesn't seem to make a difference.

@citizin

The 10.13.2 is only a developer beta right now.

• Like 2