NVidia on OSX is (almost) no more

Alex HQuest

10 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Slice said:

Because Apple supports OpenCL.

Apple Deprecated OpenCL in Mojave, and Catalina is NOT supposed to support it at all...  (Though I don't have a Catalina System to try it on with an AMD/ATI Card...)

Both my Mac Pro 5,1 and my Hackintosh WILL remain on High Sierra with current Web AND CUDA Drivers.  I have NO choice!!!  My Number Crunching Program REQUIRES CUDA.

Good Luck to everyone else with whatever you all decide to do.

God Bless the Hackintosh Community.  I hope we can last quite awhile longer.

TimeLord04

[EDIT:]

For the few whom don't get to the Latest Informational Threads like this one, I've Posted about this in the High Sierra - NVIDIA Web Driver Thread AND the CUDA Driver Thread.  I've included the Article Links, AND a Link to here.

Edited by TimeLord04
Update to Post.

4 hours ago, TimeLord04 said:

Apple Deprecated OpenCL in Mojave, and Catalina is NOT supposed to support it at all...  (Though I don't have a Catalina System to try it on with an AMD/ATI Card...)

Both my Mac Pro 5,1 and my Hackintosh WILL remain on High Sierra with current Web AND CUDA Drivers.  I have NO choice!!!  My Number Crunching Program REQUIRES CUDA.

Good Luck to everyone else with whatever you all decide to do.

God Bless the Hackintosh Community.  I hope we can last quite awhile longer.

I suspect there might be more coming than just Apple favoring Metal2 over OpenCL/OpenGL. With the new Navi architecture on the Mac Pro, and some rumors of ray tracing coming to AMD shortly plus who knows what else (maybe Lisa and Tim), as someone said elsewhere, I wonder how long until Apple switches to AMD processors as well and get an entire AMDpple ecosystem...

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2019 at 3:24 PM, Hervé said:

Not literally, no; Metal offers features similar to OpenGL+OpenCL but it would be incorrect to say that Metal = OpenGL+OpenCL, both of which being now deprecated by Apple.

Metal is more similar to vulkan since both came from mantle, but the point in this topic is that apple and nvidia will be pretty mutch at a competitor level, and simply nvidia doesn't care to carry on development for their competitor's platform.

• Like 1