Nvidia Web Driver updates for macOS High Sierra (UPDATE Nov 13, 2020)

fantomas
2,046 posts in this topic

On 2/2/2020 at 10:17 PM, TimeLord04 said:

YES! It is NOW quite safe, (with the Release of the ".134" Driver), to Update to 2020-001 Security Update - (17G11023).

You may wish to DL the Driver and have a direct copy for emergency use.  However; as always, after Updating the OS,

the NVIDIA Driver Manager WILL Prompt you to Update to ".134".

[EDIT:]

I ALSO suggest that you GO BACK several Posts to my "Step By Step" Instructions!

I laid everything out for @antuanet, specifically, BUT these "Step By Step"

Instructions go for EVERYONE!

You should also create your Signature and put in your System Specs for more specific

assistance.

TimeLord04

Hello!

i have just updated to 17G11023 (which as you stated is safe now, since I had issues with the version before) and my GTX 1080, while everything updated well, has no acceleration, which is a huge bummer and I can‘t do any work (I’m not doing any work now, but I’d like to have it running anyways)

any fixes you know out of your mind?

system : x5650@4GHz, GTX 1080, 16GB RAM, Asus P6x58D-E, iMac 18,3, clover 5103

2 hours ago, kamii said:

Hello!

i have just updated to 17G11023 (which as you stated is safe now, since I had issues with the version before) and my GTX 1080, while everything updated well, has no acceleration, which is a huge bummer and I can‘t do any work (I’m not doing any work now, but I’d like to have it running anyways)

any fixes you know out of your mind?

system : x5650@4GHz, GTX 1080, 16GB RAM, Asus P6x58D-E, iMac 18,3, clover 5103

Acceleration ONLY comes through the Web Driver.  IF you've followed

the instructions and Updated the Web Driver to ".134" all should be fine.

Review what you've done, and make sure that the Web Driver is Updated.

TimeLord04

6 hours ago, TimeLord04 said:

Acceleration ONLY comes through the Web Driver.  IF you've followed

the instructions and Updated the Web Driver to ".134" all should be fine.

Review what you've done, and make sure that the Web Driver is Updated.

TimeLord04

I‘m aware of that, followed the instructions (which are straight forward, I don’t understand who would do otherwise), the drivers are installed from what I can tell (pref. pane is working etc.) and web drivers are selected, yet there‘s no acceleration (my GPU is detected and shows up with all of its VRAM in "about my Mac“)

16 hours ago, kamii said:

I‘m aware of that, followed the instructions (which are straight forward, I don’t understand who would do otherwise), the drivers are installed from what I can tell (pref. pane is working etc.) and web drivers are selected, yet there‘s no acceleration (my GPU is detected and shows up with all of its VRAM in "about my Mac“)

I've been waiting for someone with more Web Driver knowledge than I to chime in.  HOWEVER:

As I understand the Web Driver, (as it's been since inception), is that IF your FULL amount of

VRAM IS being listed, (for my GTX-1070 it is 8GB GDDR5 VRAM), that Acceleration is also being

implemented...  ONE CANNOT HAPPEN WITHOUT THE OTHER, as described to me early on in my

Hackintosh learning curve from 2016 in El Capitan.  So, IF one ONLY sees "7MB" of VRAM, then

NO Acceleration is happening through the Web Driver.  IF; HOWEVER, your FULL VRAM, (for me,

8GB), then Acceleration IS happening.

IF I'm wrong on this, I'd GLADLY like to hear from @fantomas, @Hervé, @chris1111, or someone else

with more Web Driver knowledge than I.

(.png of Hackintosh-Andromeda "About This Mac" showing 8GB of VRAM WITH Acceleration...)

TimeLord04

Hackintosh-Andromeda WITH Acceleration.png

7 hours ago, TimeLord04 said:

I've been waiting for someone with more Web Driver knowledge than I to chime in.  HOWEVER:

As I understand the Web Driver, (as it's been since inception), is that IF your FULL amount of

VRAM IS being listed, (for my GTX-1070 it is 8GB GDDR5 VRAM), that Acceleration is also being

implemented...  ONE CANNOT HAPPEN WITHOUT THE OTHER, as described to me early on in my

Hackintosh learning curve from 2016 in El Capitan.  So, IF one ONLY sees "7MB" of VRAM, then

NO Acceleration is happening through the Web Driver.  IF; HOWEVER, your FULL VRAM, (for me,

8GB), then Acceleration IS happening.

IF I'm wrong on this, I'd GLADLY like to hear from @fantomas, @Hervé, @chris1111, or someone else

with more Web Driver knowledge than I.

(.png of Hackintosh-Andromeda "About This Mac" showing 8GB of VRAM WITH Acceleration...)

TimeLord04

Hackintosh-Andromeda WITH Acceleration.png

It’s displaying the whole 8GB of VRAM in the "about my Mac“ section, proper name, brand, everything, yet I don’t have acceleration 

3 hours ago, Hervé said:

Although it tends to be generally the case, having the right of VRAM displayed in "About this Mac" does not necessarily translates into full graphics acceleration being in place.

Items to check in order to verify graphics acceleration include:

• Finder's bar translucency
  • Supported Features in DVDPlayer app
  • Smoothness and speed of LaunchPad

All of those are not how they should be, I always check the menu bar translucency, moving of finder windows on the desktop and opening the Launchpad, which all of those are laggy (just like no driver at all tbf) yet the driver is installed (tried the Benjamin-dowell script, Nvidia installer itself and insanelymac‘s Nvidia driver program), my 1080 is being shown in About my Mac, system report and I can fully access the driver panel with all its settings 

would love any help, thanks x

17 minutes ago, Hervé said:

Does the Web Driver load? If you boot with Clover, did you tick/set Web Driver box in CC or boot with nvda_drv=1?

Why don't you post a zipped copy of your Clover EFI folder? If you cache add-on kexts from /S/L/E or /L/E, please specify which.

I have NvidiaWeb ticked in CC, nvda_drv=1 is also on (tried both by themselves and still didn‘t work)

I will upload my EFI as soon as I get home, which should be in 20 minutes 

edit : forgot to say that in the menubar in the Nvidia panel it‘s showing the Web driver ticked (I’d assume it‘s loading it then)

Edited by kamii

here is my CLOVER.zip and a screenshot of my 'About my Mac', the Nvidia Driver Panel and the system report of my 1080, hope you see something I don't which is giving me issues.

It's a mess of useless kext stuff but everything works besides the acceleration

hope you find something (or someone else)

thanks @Hervé

CLOVER.zip

screenshot osx.png

47 minutes ago, Hervé said:

Looking at your setup, your issue is not Web Driver related per sé but more of an incorrect Clover config/kexts arrangement. So thanks for taking your issue elsewhere and opening a separate thread in the relevant and appropriate section.

thank you for the starting point of it being clover related, guess i'll see if i can get some help in another thread on here, hopefully it'll get figured out

thanks !

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got this working.  I'm not sure why, but updating web drivers is a huge pain in the ass for me.  I have to disable SIP (remove the key in Opencore config.plist), Clear/Clean NVRAM, install the drivers, reboot, reenable SIP, and enable the web drivers from the menu icon. 

Anything else gives me a black screen and/or the "Default macOS graphics driver" [nice lowercase m there].

I'm not sure they're even making any changes at this point other than updating Info.plist to match the build of MacOS.  I suppose I could diff the binaries but meh.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2020 at 12:56 AM, caro.ok said:

Hey, i would be glad if anyone could help me why the nvidia driver is not working :(

Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-03 um 09.44.42.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-03 um 09.44.50.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-03 um 09.45.06.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-03 um 09.45.23.png

3-10-2020 at 2:15 PM - PDT

@caro.ok,

It seems, from what you've posted, that whatever NVIDIA GPU that you have

is NOT being seen by your System.  In the Pics. provided, the Intel UHD-630

is being displayed as your Primary GPU for your Display.

Can you see if Switching the Video Card to the NVIDIA GPU, from within MacOS,

will bring up the Specs of the NVIDIA GPU in "About This Mac"?  I'm NOT sure

where in the Preferences Section this is done, but I've seen this mentioned in

other Threads.

TimeLord04

@pitrysha,

CUDA Driver 418.163 is the LAST CUDA Driver for MacOS AND works JUST FINE

in High Sierra.

TimeLord04

2 hours ago, hungrywallet said:

What's the latest nVIDIA GPU that works on High Sierra?

Any Pascal Card:  GTX-10x0

TimeLord04

I recently downgraded from Mojave to High Sierra (by first installing the original Mavericks with cmd+opt+shift+R then upgrading to High sierra from there). My intention is to be running Daz Studio and utilizing CUDA with my Nvidia GTX 680, on my Mac Pro 2013 through my Sonnet breakaway box and TB2 -> TB3 adapter. Not the finest card but better than CPU-only rendering. I had this setup working previously, with Daz studio recognizing the card as a CUDA device. However, after 2 days of trying to get this to work, I am having issues:

1. The eGPU disconnect icon does not appear in the menu.

2. The GPU is not recognized in the Displays window of About This Mac. Connecting a display after hotplugging the Thunderbolt to the external GPU results in no signal being output, and no additional monitor being added to the Displays preference pane. Connecting a display before hotplugging results in a red screen and a kernel panic.

3. The card is displayed in the Graphics tab of System Profiler. Purge-wrangler reports a successful patch. Nvidia web drivers detect the GPU and install successfully. CUDA drivers install successfully but then CUDA does not work.

4. CUDA driver system preference pane displays there is an update required, but there is no update available.

5. Security update 2020-01 is safe, according to the recent posts on this forum. It is installed, but CUDA does not seem to be happy with my installation.

With all the above issues, Daz studio is not seeing the device as a CUDA rendering device.

What could be the issue here? Thank you for your time.

Screen Shot 2020-03-14 at 3.08.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-14 at 3.08.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-14 at 3.08.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-14 at 3.08.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-14 at 3.08.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-14 at 3.09.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-14 at 3.10.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-14 at 3.11.23 PM.png

Edited by MegaworM
clarification

@MegaworM,

The GPU you are using, (GTX-680), IS NATIVE to

MacOS.  The Web Driver IS NOT REQUIRED for you.

Notice in the CUDA Driver Info. that the GPU Driver

Version that it is looking for is 355.11.10.10.40.102

NOT the Web Driver 387.10.10.10.40.134 which you

have installed!  This is what the "Update Required"

is referring to, NOT that the CUDA Driver needs

updating.  See also the "No newer CUDA Driver

available" statement that supports that the

CUDA Driver 418.163 IS the current CUDA

Driver.

The 355.11.10.10.40.102 NVIDIA Driver that is

being mentioned IS the MacOS Default Driver

that 'should' be used for your GTX-680.  You

still CAN use the Web Driver, if you choose, but

it may be best to Uninstall the Web Driver in favor

of the stock MacOS Driver for your Card.  CUDA

Driver 418.163 can be left alone and remain

installed.

TimeLord04

23 hours ago, TimeLord04 said:

@MegaworM,

The GPU you are using, (GTX-680), IS NATIVE to

MacOS.  The Web Driver IS NOT REQUIRED for you.

Notice in the CUDA Driver Info. that the GPU Driver

Version that it is looking for is 355.11.10.10.40.102

NOT the Web Driver 387.10.10.10.40.134 which you

have installed!  This is what the "Update Required"

is referring to, NOT that the CUDA Driver needs

updating.  See also the "No newer CUDA Driver

available" statement that supports that the

CUDA Driver 418.163 IS the current CUDA

Driver.

The 355.11.10.10.40.102 NVIDIA Driver that is

being mentioned IS the MacOS Default Driver

that 'should' be used for your GTX-680.  You

still CAN use the Web Driver, if you choose, but

it may be best to Uninstall the Web Driver in favor

of the stock MacOS Driver for your Card.  CUDA

Driver 418.163 can be left alone and remain

installed.

TimeLord04

This is not my experience. I started with no web driver installed in the first place. I only installed it because CUDA would not work AND it is included in the guide at https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/309986/tut-making-cuda-drivers-work-on-your-mac-and-render-much-faster-with-gpu and here https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4708656/ and here https://egpu.io/forums/pro-applications/egpu-to-work-with-iray-render/.

All those setups feature screenshots with both nvidia and cuda drivers installed and specify to install the 387 nvidia drivers and the 418 cuda drivers. Then they show the GPU as displaying for a render device in DAZ.

Now as I see your reply I already have a system state with CUDA installed, and no web driver was ever installed yet on this system state, and still no GPU showing in DAZ studio. So where do I go from here? As you can see the nvidia web driver is not even installed. I am using the macos drivers and have the updated driver, but its still saying update required, so doesn't that mean the update required message is referring to some other issue?

Screen Shot 2020-03-16 at 6.58.27 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-16 at 6.58.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-16 at 7.07.22 AM.png

Edited by MegaworM

@MegaworM,

The GTX-680 is a Kepler Card.  This is why it worked

in Mojave.  Maxwell and Pascal Cards are NOT able

to work in ANYTHING above High Sierra.

Maxwell:  GTX-750TI SC/8x0/9x0 Cards

Pascal:  GTX-10x0 Cards

Turing:  GTX-16x0/RTX-20x0 Cards  <-- (Will NEVER work in MacOS)

Maxwell and Pascal Cards REQUIRE NVIDIA Web

Drivers to run in MacOS.  As Noted a couple of pages

back, people with the 750M Card, (also Kepler), were

having GREAT difficulty using the 750M WITH Web

Drivers.  Going back to their Pre and Post Web Driver

Installation Pictures - Pre Web Driver, the 'About This

Mac' Info. DID show the 750M listed in High Sierra.

Their Post Web Driver Installation DID NOT show

their 750M.  Hence the Web Driver was NOT

recommended.  Hence why I've recommended to

you that you remove it.

@Hervé even stated that for Kepler, (Native), Cards,

(which he uses himself), that the Web Driver is NOT

NECESSARY for Kepler Cards.  So, why you have

problems both WITH AND WITHOUT the Web Driver

goes above my head.

Someone like @Hervé, or @fantomas, or @chris1111

that has more Web Driver experience will need to

chime in here.

TimeLord04

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hervé said:

Check your High Sierra build number, update to the latest build and, once that is done, install (or update) the Web Driver that matches your final HiSie build. Nothing more to it really...

I finally got it working. I was not aware but I was stuck on a build that was not supported by nvidia. And it told me there was no updates until I ran the script at dosdudes website to enable more software updates. So now I have the most up to date macos build and everything is working as normal. Thank you for helping me navigate this issue!

Screen Shot 2020-03-16 at 10.35.33 PM.png

Edited by MegaworM

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Hervé said:

Security update 2020-002. New 10.13.6 build 17G12034:

HiSie_17G12034.jpg.7bbbbaee37e8686fae8ce4ce0293f95e.jpg

Let's wait for the Web Driver update...

hi Hervé. i see that you still use High Sierra. what GPU you have? connected over? HDMI? DVI? DP? Thanks

Yesterday i also updated my macos to 10.13.6 (17G12034), now i also have to wait for the driver. The mac is working now but without the driver and can´t detect the GPU correct.

I have installed two gtx 1080 ti.

I hope the driver came in the next days, because in aftereffect i have now big troubles.

hello,

warning with macOS 10.13.6 (17G12034) because not run

i wait 135 :)

3 minutes ago, regiso said:

hello,

warning with macOS 10.13.6 (17G12034) because not run

i wait 135 :)

i have not look very thanks for 135 :)