Nvidia Web Driver updates for macOS High Sierra (UPDATE Nov 13, 2020)

fantomas
2,046 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

Are all of you guys using SIP disabled with custom builds of the Nvidia driver?

I finally managed to get build .104 patched to work with 10.13.3, but I can use it ONLY with SIP disabled. With SIP ON, the driver is technically "enabled", but there is no acceleration (no transparency either).

Is there a way to make it work with SIP enabled, as well?

Also, I know this is a very new and still under investigation topic, but has anyone managed to find out why do we have such a crappy performance with Nvidia drivers .156/.157?

From what I could read, it's not the SMBIOS and it's not the CPU (Skylake in my case). Which leaves us with...what? The actual GPU? What changed between the previous build and the last one? How come this doesn't occur to all the users of this driver? Something has to be different to have such a different result.

@arsradu

just to share my experience:

- 156 had really bad performance (no acceleration) on my system

- the solution provided in #1244 worked for me (installing driver .104)

- i havent done anything to SIP (it has always been enabled).

- my gfx card is 1080 ti on Coffeelake.

I am also using these adapted kexts specifc to my monitor:

https://github.com/aerror2/NGFixLG5K

https://github.com/aerror2/CoreDisplayFixLG5K

and Lilu

But i'm guessing the standard NvidiaGraphicsFixup and CoreDisplayFixup should work otherwise.

Also I'm using bootarg: ngfxpatch=pikera

• Like 1

Hi guys,

I finally managed to get build .104 patched to work with 10.13.3, but I can use it ONLY with SIP disabled. With SIP ON, the driver is technically "enabled", but there is no acceleration (no transparency either).

Also, I know this is a very new and still under investigation topic, but has anyone managed to find out why do we have such a crappy performance with Nvidia drivers .156/.157?

From what I could read, it's not the SMBIOS and it's not the CPU (Skylake in my case). Which leaves us with...what? The actual GPU? What changed between the previous build and the last one? How come this doesn't occur to all the users of this driver? Something has to be different to have such a different result.

The best answer I've found after attempting to analyze the changes between 104-106 and 156/157 with Hopper and a hex editor is that this is Nvidia's screw up and the driver is just bad. :/

There doesn't seem to be any magic new check or anything. This driver has some significant structural changes, and something they did, likely in an attempt to improve eGPU support, just resulted in inferior performance. Hopefully, the next release will be better.

Even tho it doesn't have the characteristic lag, I've also noticed just outright inferior performance on my 2012 rMBP with the 156 webdriver vs. the 10.13.3 stock Nvidia driver, including issues with display hotplug and severe lag in VMWare virtual machines. Normally, the webdrivers provide the same or slightly better better performance over stock on my 2012 rMBP. Other real mac users with eGPU have also reported the same lag we are seeing on hacks.

• Like 3

Hi guys,

Just to clarify something if you have SIP enabled and upon installing the webdriver you’ll be prompt to allow the kext to be loaded by the macOS otherwise you’ll end up with the black screen or no acceleration in some cases but mostly the black screen occurs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey,

I also only enable SIP for installation. After the installation is finished, I disable SIP again, otherwise the drivers are not working.

So here is what I do:

- Enable SIP and restart

- Start in Safe mode

- Install new Nvidia driver

- Disable SIP again

- Restart

With my 4790K + 980Ti (SMBIOS 14,2) I do not have any decrease in performance, so I guess only the 10XX cards are affected?

Greetings,

Steffen

Hey,

I also only enable SIP for installation. After the installation is finished, I disable SIP again, otherwise the drivers are not working.

So here is what I do:

- Enable SIP and restart

- Start in Safe mode

- Disable SIP again

- Restart

With my 4790K + 980Ti (SMBIOS 14,2) I do not have any decrease in performance, so I guess only the 10XX cards are affected?

Greetings,

Steffen

Just to clarify something if you have SIP enabled and upon installing the webdriver you’ll be prompt to allow the kext to be loaded by the macOS otherwise you’ll end up with the black screen or no acceleration in some cases but mostly the black screen occurs.

Ok, well the driver has been installed with SIP enabled. Then I disabled it to patch it. Then re-enabled it.

I have no black screen (thank God for that, I'm using NvidiaGraphicsFixup, so I'm guessing that helps too), but, with SIP enabled, I don't have any acceleration.

Hey,

So here is what I do:

- Enable SIP and restart

- Start in Safe mode

- Disable SIP again

- Restart

Greetings,

Steffen

Well, in my case, the driver was already there, with 10.13.2. So, instead of upgrading and then patching Nvidia driver .104 for the new OS version (17D47), I first patched for the new version, and then upgraded to it. This was with SIP disabled.

And now, as I said above, everything's fine with SIP disabled. But if I enable it, I get no acceleration.

Also, I'm pretty sure it's not a 10xx thing. :) I'm using a 950, so...yeah, it's not that.

Ok, well the driver has been installed with SIP enabled. Then I disabled it to patch it. Then re-enabled it.

I have no black screen (thank God for that, I'm using NvidiaGraphicsFixup, so I'm guessing that helps too), but, with SIP enabled, I don't have any acceleration.

Well, in my case, the driver was already there, with 10.13.2. So, instead of upgrading and then patching Nvidia driver .104 for the new OS version (17D47), I first patched for the new version, and then upgraded to it. This was with SIP disabled.

And now, as I said above, everything's fine with SIP disabled. But if I enable it, I get no acceleration.

Also, I'm pretty sure it's not a 10xx thing. :) I'm using a 950, so...yeah, it's not that.

Which version of AptioOsxFixDrv you are using?

anyone else having the issue of everything was fine, updated to 10.13.3 and updated video drivers only to be presented with a black screen?

Edit:

Solved the issue...

At boot in clover options I enabled SIP

Allowed all items that showed up

Reinstalled NvidiaWebDriver

Updated all kexts FakeSMC, Lilu, NvidiaGraphicsFixUp, Etc. (those that had updates)

Updated AptioInputFix.efi and AptioMemoryFix.efi

Rebooted as normal with SIP disabled and good to go again.

Could have been an issue with a kext or just needed SIP for a short time to get everything working together happily.

I am also experiencing the video stutter and reduced performance from the latest driver.

i need a web driver for 17e150f

Well, I'm not sure there is one out yet. You can also try your luck in the pre-release thread over here. However, I think you can use an older driver (such as .104/.106) and patch it for the build you need. You will most likely need SIP to be disabled for that to actually take effect.

If you don't have a driver, at all, install that older driver with SIP enabled, Patch it with SIP disabled, and run it with SIP disabled. For some people it works with SIP enabled, as well. For me, not so much. So, I'm telling you just in case you find yourself with no acceleration even though the driver seems to be installed and enabled.

Also, if I may, I would suggest rephrasing that sentence in a way that's less demanding. :) It sounds like you're demanding people to provide that driver to you. When in fact, nobody has any obligation to do that. :))

Anyway, it's just a suggestion.

• Like 2

Also, reading in this post there are many methods to create a patched installer without having no web driver installed at all

and previous messages

That is one cool script. Thank you.

So, technically, with this script, all you need is probably SIP disabled so you can run the patched driver. That is cool.

Hi arsradu

there is also another sh script posted here  but I can't find by now it is very simple

Those are useful when you do a fresh installation and no driver are  installed yet

Instead when  you have a NVIDIA web driver installed and you update to a new beta and for beta no driver exists as always, you can patch with @gengik84 script only nvidiawebkext file to have a fully and working driver

That is one cool script. Thank you.

So, technically, with this script, all you need is probably SIP disabled so you can run the patched driver. That is cool.

Hi arsradu

there is also another sh script posted here  but I can't find by now it is very simple

Those are useful when you do a fresh installation and no driver are  installed yet

Instead when  you have a NVIDIA web driver installed and you update to a new beta and for beta no driver exists as always, you can patch with @gengik84 script only nvidiawebkext file to have a fully and working driver

Got it. Thank you. Nice job, guys. Really.

If you find the script for fresh install driver patching van you please repost.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yes (I have Pascal GFX) some people say they have lag with Maxwell and also Pascal card

Have no lags 

tested driver from 104 to latest 157 (performances are the same and good as always)

Works fine? No Issues?

Well, I'm not sure there is one out yet. You can also try your luck in the pre-release thread over here. However, I think you can use an older driver (such as .104/.106) and patch it for the build you need. You will most likely need SIP to be disabled for that to actually take effect.

If you don't have a driver, at all, install that older driver with SIP enabled, Patch it with SIP disabled, and run it with SIP disabled. For some people it works with SIP enabled, as well. For me, not so much. So, I'm telling you just in case you find yourself with no acceleration even though the driver seems to be installed and enabled.

Also, if I may, I would suggest rephrasing that sentence in a way that's less demanding. :) It sounds like you're demanding people to provide that driver to you. When in fact, nobody has any obligation to do that. :))

Anyway, it's just a suggestion.

thanks, i will check on the other thread 

thanks, i will check on the other thread 

Sure. By the way, I successfully installed 10.13.4 Beta 2 (build 17E150f) and I'm using patched Nvidia Driver .104. So far so good.

So, just so you know, in case you want to give this method a try.

@fabiosun, just tried the script and got everything working on 10.13.4 Beta 2. So...thank you. :)

• Like 1