Nvidia Web Driver updates for macOS High Sierra (UPDATE Nov 13, 2020)

fantomas
2,046 posts in this topic

I don't know how do you guys successfully build and use "custom" builds for Nvidia driver... I just tried Chris' Nvidia Payload Packager (nice tool, bro!), to "fix" build .104 in order to be used with 10.13.3 (17D47). It was more like an experiment than anything else. Aaaand..although I've got no issues unpacking, editing the build version and repacking the build (I found a youtube video describing how to do that in detail), and then installing it, I've got no acceleration after reboot...

I don't know. Maybe I'm missing something. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. But I think I've followed all the steps in that tutorial. And since I've got no errors upon installation, I would say that part went fine. Still...no acceleration. Basically it doesn't wanna use that driver.

So, if that was the only thing I had to do to have acceleration with Nvidia .104 and MacOS 10.13.3...well, it didn't work for me. :))

Not a big issue. As I said, it was more like an experiment than anything else. And I definitely learned something new today. But...in terms of actual positive results, that didn't work for me.

So I went back (I guess technically that would be forward..?) to .156 and everything's back to the way it was. Which is to say definitely not perfect, huge lag and pretty average performance, but at least it works in dual-monitor mode and I've got acceleration.

Check it the nvda_drv=1 Boot args is in the NVRAM

sudo nvram -p > ~/Documents/nvram.txt

maybe current not work for your card? See user here report latest not working

Check it the nvda_drv=1 Boot args is in the NVRAM

sudo nvram -p > ~/Documents/nvram.txt

Well, I would say it is there... Also, how could it not be there, if I didn't do a nvram clean or changed anything in the boot args...? It's been there since forever. :))

post-1303722-0-09196200-1516891898_thumb.png post-1303722-0-09886200-1516891909_thumb.png

Also, version .156 works with the GTX 950 I'm using on this machine (don't look at my signature, since that's not the system using Nvidia drivers). It's just that its performance is really bad compared to previous versions. I can manage it a few days until Nvidia releases a new (maybe better) build. But I was just curious if you could use 104 with 10.13.3. Aaand...well, technically no issues upon installation. But also...no acceleration.

try to search here ricoc90 packager if you have to install from scratch (no old driver installed)

Thanks, I will. So far, I only tried installing over a previous installation. I'll keep that in mind for future experiments. :) Thank you.

• Like 1

Well, I would say it is there... Also, how could it not be there, if I didn't do a nvram clean or changed anything in the boot args...? It's been there since forever. :))

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-01-25 at 16.49.32.png attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-01-25 at 16.51.10.png

Also, version .156 works with the GTX 950 I'm using on this machine (don't look at my signature, since that's not the system using Nvidia drivers). It's just that its performance is really bad compared to previous versions. I can manage it a few days until Nvidia releases a new (maybe better) build. But I was just curious if you could use 104 with 10.13.3. Aaand...well, technically no issues upon installation. But also...no acceleration.

Thanks, I will. So far, I only tried installing over a previous installation. I'll keep that in mind for future experiments. :) Thank you.

I am asking you if the boot args was there because I saw users who did not have the boot args and others who had not even nvram  :P

thanks to you 

• Like 1

I don't know how do you guys successfully build and use "custom" builds for Nvidia driver... I just tried Chris' Nvidia Payload Packager (nice tool, bro!), to "fix" build .104 in order to be used with 10.13.3 (17D47). It was more like an experiment than anything else. Aaaand..although I've got no issues unpacking, editing the build version and repacking the build (I found a youtube video describing how to do that in detail), and then installing it, I've got no acceleration after reboot...

I don't know. Maybe I'm missing something. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. But I think I've followed all the steps in that tutorial. And since I've got no errors upon installation, I would say that part went fine. Still...no acceleration. Basically it doesn't wanna use that driver.

So, if that was the only thing I had to do to have acceleration with Nvidia .104 and MacOS 10.13.3...well, it didn't work for me. :))

Not a big issue. As I said, it was more like an experiment than anything else. And I definitely learned something new today. But...in terms of actual positive results, that didn't work for me.

So I went back (I guess technically that would be forward..?) to .156 and everything's back to the way it was. Which is to say definitely not perfect, huge lag and pretty average performance, but at least it works in dual-monitor mode and I've got acceleration.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/323052-guide-sierra-high-sierra-on-intel-5-6-7-8-9-and-x99-chipset-series-nehalem-sandybridge-ivybridge-haswell-broadwell/?p=2575822

• Like 1

Do you have a transparent dock with the .156 driver?  Sounds like tons of people are having Library Validation issues again, which can manifest itself as the Window Server running really horribly due to lack of acceleration, but other apps running okay.

The driver links for 10.13.3 at the top of this post seem to be broken.

http://mac.nvidia.com/pkg/WebDriver-387.10.10.10.25.157.pkg- build 17D2047

http://mac.nvidia.com/pkg/WebDriver-387.10.10.10.25.156.pkg- build 17D47

These links, in the traditional nvidia URL format, are working for me:

https://images.nvidia.com/mac/pkg/387/WebDriver-387.10.10.10.25.157.pkg- build 17D2047

https://images.nvidia.com/mac/pkg/387/WebDriver-387.10.10.10.25.156.pkg- build 17D47

• Like 1

Do you have a transparent dock with the .156 driver?  Sounds like tons of people are having Library Validation issues again, which can manifest itself as the Window Server running really horribly due to lack of acceleration, but other apps running okay.

To be perfectly honest, I didn't pay attention to that... I think it was transparent, yes. But the browser tabs (and their content) were just awful, all messed up. So I don't know what to tell you...

Sadly that didn't make any difference for me... Or maybe I don't know how to is it properly (which can very much be the case since I never used either of those things before).

To be perfectly honest, I didn't pay attention to that... I think it was transparent, yes. But the browser tabs (and their content) were just awful, all messed up. So I don't know what to tell you...

Sadly that didn't make any difference for me... Or maybe I don't know how to is it properly (which can very much be the case since I never used either of those things before).

you just need to install web driver and right after patch driver and then reboot

you just need to install web driver and right after patch driver and then reboot

Which driver? The one in that post (which seems to be for 17C205)? Or the one I want to use (.104)?

I can't just install .104 since it won't go through the OS Build check. At least the official, untouched build will not even install without any editing.

post-1303722-0-08259700-1516902282_thumb.png

Which driver? The one in that post (which seems to be for 17C205)? Or the one I want to use (.104)?

I can't just install .104 since it won't go through the OS Build check. At least the official, untouched build will not even install without any editing.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-01-25 at 19.43.56.png

driver from post, its 104, and is available to install on any os x version

• Like 1

The driver links for 10.13.3 at the top of this post seem to be broken.

http://mac.nvidia.com/pkg/WebDriver-387.10.10.10.25.157.pkg- build 17D2047

http://mac.nvidia.com/pkg/WebDriver-387.10.10.10.25.156.pkg- build 17D47

These links, in the traditional nvidia URL format, are working for me:

https://images.nvidia.com/mac/pkg/387/WebDriver-387.10.10.10.25.157.pkg- build 17D2047

https://images.nvidia.com/mac/pkg/387/WebDriver-387.10.10.10.25.156.pkg- build 17D47

They aren't 'broken'

A little note about the new webdriver for iMac Pro - Do not know if it has something to do with us.  :P

<!-- NOTE: 10.11+ requires "nvidia.com" in the host name in order to allow http (non-https) download specified in NVAgent Info.plist -->
  • Like 1

What happens with Nvidia? The last drivers is very very bad. I can not use it. Much lag!  :blush:

Yeah I have the same issues, Safari is acting up, moving windows are so laggy and overall performance in macOS UI is worse  :rofl:

What happens with Nvidia? The last drivers is very very bad. I can not use it. Much lag!  :blush:

witch OS X ?

WebDriver-387.10.10.10.25.156.pkg Works well in my GeForce GT 1030 Pascal 

even in 10.13.4

• Like 1

Maybe some one should take the initiative and contact the nVidia about the crappy performance of their new web driver for macOS 10.13.3 Build 17D47  :rofl:  :blush:

The Drivers works perfect

maybe your hardware not or some Clover setup  ?

See lots people report working great included me. so I think Nvidia doing great job 

• Like 1

The Drivers works perfect

maybe your hardware not or some Clover setup ?

See lots people report working great included me. so I think Nvidia doing great job

Really? You think so? And lots of people report that's not working)) it's something fishy right here with this driver. In my case, MacPro 6.1 os x 10.13.3 GTX 960 loop and not reaching login screen, and that's work SIP full enabled (in 10.13.2 acting just well)
  • Like 3

The driver works, but if we compare with the previous drivers, the experience has a slight stutter, this bothers me

lots of people report that's not working)) it's something fishy right here with this driver. In my case, MacPro 6.1 os x 10.13.3 GTX 960 loop and not reaching login screen, and that's work SIP full enabled (in 10.13.2 acting just well)

true

many reports

bad

• Like 4