Nvidia Web Driver updates for macOS High Sierra (UPDATE Nov 13, 2020)

fantomas
2,046 posts in this topic

I don't have artifacts with GTX660

my solution was to install the driver with SIP enabled (and than allowing the kext when prompted during install)

want to point out that i don't have SIP enabled and the drivers installed fine, i have no gfx lag, boot or speed problems just artifacts after a while and mostly they appear on web images and gfx programs (i'm using OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi with clover 2.4k r4391 and it happens with the official apple nvidia drivers as well).

I made a display override with my display edid as well in case that is the problem with the glitches but didn't help.

To test for glitches I run Geekbench Compute Metal benchmark and while running I load a pdf with text and images (macOS preview program) and scroll up and down ... after few seconds it shows glitches in images.

For people who have a black screen after .156 update, just boot without Nvidia driver (for me verbose boot was enough), go to "security and privacy" in your "System Preferences" and allow Nvidia Corp to load. 

For me It's worked ! And my SIP was disabled during installation ;) No need to enable it !

Nvidia has publish an install note about that, unfortunately, he Security & Privacy Preferences never opened during installation...

Installation Note:

Because of improvements in macOS security, the Security & Privacy Preferences may open during the installation process. If it does, click “Allow” in order for the NVIDIA Graphics Driver to load, then return to the Installer and click “Restart”.

source : https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/130460/en-us

• Like 2

@MICKHAEL - Thanks, that worked for me. However, I had to disable SIP (CsrActiveConfig=0x67) before installing the .104 Nvidia driver, and applying the patch.

I guess this is so the patched drivers can load. Found this out the hard way after having SIP enabled, and going through the install process, only to find the modified drivers weren't loading.

Now, the lag issues are fixed for me in macOS 10.13.3. Thanks again.

I finally got the new version (.156) working. Before I had black screen with spinning wheel with my NVidia 980 Ti graphic card.

Here what I did:

1) Uninstalled existing (patched) driver (.106) using the NVidia Uninstaller (Open Uninstaller... button in NVidia Driver Manager preferences pane)

2) Activated SIP in Clover (0x0 instead of 0x67)

3) Restarted

4) After reboot (so with VESA display mode), reinstalled the new driver.

5) Reboot, still with SIP enabled and voilà, it worked.

I think some files/kexts from previous version (don't know which ones exactly) aren't deleted/replaced by new driver version on installation correctly and are incompatible with the new version.

The key here is the full uninstallation of previous version. I don't know if enabling SIP helped or not, but it doesn't hurt.

And so far no lag observed.

• Like 2

I went back to 10.13.2, installed Nvidia driver .104 and everything is back to normal. Whenever Nvidia decides to fix their .156 driver, I'll give 10.13.3 another chance. Until then, I'm fine with 10.13.2.

Thing is that this issue makes the computer fast enough for most of the daily tasks, but slow enough to be annoying. And when you're waiting and waiting and waiting for apps or even browser tabs to load, and you know that it's not your system, cause 1. it didn't happen with previous version, and 2. you have a pretty decent system as it is, it becomes really annoying, really soon.

Anyway, just some updates from my side. Lets hope Nvidia fixes their driver soon enough.

• Like 1

Im saying that SIP is needed to be fully on during driver installation, after that it can remain off.

For my part SIP is Disable  before, during and  after 

SIP as no influence on my  side

My SIP is Disable since the first day HS

• Like 1

I have always SIP Fully Disable and no issue about that

this is my experience  :D

If you have SIP disabled, you can run into Library Validation issues that will prevent the web driver from being loaded into the Window Server (or apps like Safari), which can then result in unaccelerated rendering which feels like terrible lag.  You should try disabling Library Validation in the standard way (i.e. get the LV disable kext) to see if that fixes the lag issues.  Apps that don't use Library Validation will load the driver and thus run perfectly fine.  A classic way to detect this is if your dock is no longer transparent, but solid white/grey.

• Like 2

If you have SIP disabled, you can run into Library Validation issues that will prevent the web driver from being loaded into the Window Server (or apps like Safari), which can then result in unaccelerated rendering which feels like terrible lag.  You should try disabling Library Validation in the standard way (i.e. get the LV disable kext) to see if that fixes the lag issues.  Apps that don't use Library Validation will load the driver and thus run perfectly fine.  A classic way to detect this is if your dock is no longer transparent, but solid white/grey.

I never have issue of Lag or anything since Nvidia made a 10.13 Drivers

My GeForce GT 1030 is not a PowerHousse like the gtx 1080 but its working really good with the Drivers

I post you a video of my system tonight  :)

EDIT ***

Here the Video Sip Disable No Lags

At the beginning with my erase, I erase the line that hides my serial number  :lol: 

I made a video of 3 minutes I hope this is enough

https://youtu.be/7dAyFoaFcNc

I never have issue of Lag or anything since Nvidia made a 10.13 Drivers

I post you a video of my system tonight  :)

Sure, that was a wider comment for anyone who's been experiencing bad lag issues with the 10.13.3 drivers.  I also haven't had any problems, but I have SIP enabled at all times.

• Like 1

From what I've seen here and in other places, it seems that the lag with 387.10.10.10.25.156 and 387.10.10.10.25.157 is only occurring on SKL/KBL CPUs/SMBIOSes.

It does not appear that this issue is related the particular family or type of Nvidia GPU in use nor to monitor connector type or resolution. SIP and manner of installation also seem to be immaterial. This is occurring on completely fresh 10.13.3 installs.

Seems like something is not being patched/fixed up that needs to be patched/fixed up for some SMBIOSes.

I made a ticket on NvidiaGraphicsFixup in hopes that lvs1974 might have some ideas. Pls let me know here and on the ticket if you have any other information: 

In addition, I have personally tested re-enabling library validation in NvidiaGraphicsFixup. It does not resolve the lag, nor should it. There are no transparency issues to suggest a validation issue that I've noticed.

• Like 2

I have 2 980 TI from Zotac, and both are not working with 10.13.3. Tested with new web driver, and v .104, clean install and SIP enabled/disabled. 

Both cards work perfect in 13.3.2.

None of this cards gets initialized. An older GT 740 works perfect, web driver is loaded.

When i use the GT 740 and one 980TI simultan, the GT 740 boots to Desktop and the 980 TI shows only the apple boot logo and stopping process bar over all the time. I can use my system with the 740, but 980 is not initialized by the driver, shown als VGA compatible 25 MB and show only boot screen, not useable.

Only booting with nv_disable or disabling Lilu/AppleALC/NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext i can boot into Desktop without accelerated Graphics. 

I also tested manually com.apple.driver.AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy patch and without NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext, same result, 980TI not working / tested other SMBIOS iMac, Mac Pro, 980 TI not working. GT 740 is fine.

So i think there must be a difference in the card bios in some 980 TI ?

This is from system info:

Hersteller-ID: 0x10de

Geräte-ID: 0x17c8

Subsystem-Hersteller-ID: 0x19da

Subsystem-ID: 0x0010

ROM-Version: VBIOS 84.00.36.00.82

Versions-ID: 0x00a1

Link-Breite: x16

with 13.3.2 working perfect, 13.3.3 not.

Some pics from system info 10.13.2 and 10.3.3

post-1615252-0-18447700-1517045448_thumb.jpg

post-1615252-0-68792100-1517045455_thumb.jpg

post-1615252-0-76351500-1517045463_thumb.jpg

post-1615252-0-22145400-1517045470_thumb.jpg

Hi SammlerG

Which Nvidia driver version are you using?

In a not working situation, if you can try this step

On clover boot menu press f11 (you have to use a latest clover release like 4380)

this step clear nvram

system reboot

on clover boot menu press space bar

then select nvda_drrv=1 (flag  voice on screen)

then boot normally and see if it starts correctly

I have 2 980 TI from Zotac, and both are not working with 10.13.3. Tested with new web driver, and v .104, clean install and SIP enabled/disabled. 

Both cards work perfect in 13.3.2.

None of this cards gets initialized. An older GT 740 works perfect, web driver is loaded.

When i use the GT 740 and one 980TI simultan, the GT 740 boots to Desktop and the 980 TI shows only the apple boot logo and stopping process bar over all the time. I can use my system with the 740, but 980 is not initialized by the driver, shown als VGA compatible 25 MB and show only boot screen, not useable.

Only booting with nv_disable or disabling Lilu/AppleALC/NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext i can boot into Desktop without accelerated Graphics. 

I also tested manually com.apple.driver.AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy patch and without NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext, same result, 980TI not working / tested other SMBIOS iMac, Mac Pro, 980 TI not working. GT 740 is fine.

So i think there must be a difference in the card bios in some 980 TI ?

This is from system info:

Hersteller-ID: 0x10de

Geräte-ID: 0x17c8

Subsystem-Hersteller-ID: 0x19da

Subsystem-ID: 0x0010

ROM-Version: VBIOS 84.00.36.00.82

Versions-ID: 0x00a1

Link-Breite: x16

with 13.3.2 working perfect, 13.3.3 not.

Some pics from system info 10.13.2 and 10.3.3

If you are using newest iMac Pro 1.1 Smbios you have not to patch policy because it is no need to do with it , son no patch, no kext and so on

Hi SammlerG

Which Nvidia driver version are you using?

In a not working situation, if you can try this step

On clover boot menu press f11 (you have to use a latest clover release like 4380)

this step clear nvram

system reboot

on clover boot menu press space bar

then select nvda_drrv=1 (flag  voice on screen)

then boot normally and see if it starts correctly

If you are using newest iMac Pro 1.1 Smbios you have not to patch policy because it is no need to do with it , son no patch, no kext and so on

test done, not working. Stops at apple boot logo with 980TI.

GT 740 loads fine, webdriver .156 loaded.

EDIT: using newest clover 4392

For iMac Pro 1.1 is have to do the complete install procedure from KGP?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/331658-how-to-build-your-own-imac-pro-successful-buildextended-guide/

no more simple

It depends from your start OSX version

If you stay on an non iMac Pro version you have to modify only PlatformSupport.plist (/System/Library/CoreServices) with iMac Pro 1.1 board and then create a SMBios with clover configurator or similar

for driver you can also try oldest 104 version (patching version for your os)

no more simple

It depends from your start OSX version

If you stay on an non iMac Pro version you have to modify only PlatformSupport.plist (/System/Library/CoreServices) with iMac Pro 1.1 board and then create a SMBios with clover configurator or similar

for driver you can also try oldest 104 version (patching version for your os)

old drivers not working with 980, same as newest .156

GT 740 works with patched .104 and .156. GeForceWeb.kext/NVDAStartupWeb.kext... loads fine. With 980TI not. 

Maybe an interrupt or bios difference.. no idea at this moment 

old drivers not working with 980, same as newest .156

GT 740 works with patched .104 and .156. GeForceWeb.kext/NVDAStartupWeb.kext... loads fine. With 980TI not. 

Maybe an interrupt or bios difference.. no idea at this moment 

newest for iMac Pro 1.1 OSX release is 157

but I don't think this is your problem

I insist because in a "working condition" with my gtx 1080 ti

I have taken my wife Asus 980 Gtx card..and it is workin with my rig in a dual monitor condition..so it is weird that many people have this problem

sorry Sammler..out of idea

It seems, Nvidia has removed WebDriver-387.10.10.10.25.107 from their Server for unknown reason, I'm no longer able to download from this source. But ~.156 is still available.

They just messed with http links - it is back as before (https)

Links from #1 have been updated to https

• Like 2

Hi guys.

After reading too many opinions of how bad are the new Nvidia drivers for build 17D47 I just installed the InsanelyMacWebDriver(OsxBuild_17C205)-378.10.10.10.25.104 plus NvWeb_Patcher (Thanks Mald0n for the info and links) and my build is running smoothly. Before I was with 102 package.

Those are my results right now if someone want to compare.

P.D. Is necessary to enable SIP? Mine is disabled

post-2379289-0-95365700-1517071854_thumb.png