[Guide] Mac OSX 10.12 and 10.13 with X99 Broadwell-E family and Haswell-E family

nmano

1,954 posts in this topic

I decided to change my "old" 5960X" and updated to Xeon 2696 v4. Thanks to my friend fabiosun i was able to configure it to work with Sierra 10.12.1

Everything work smoothly...thunderbolt devices too.

Thanks to fabiosun for his BIG patience, to nmano and SammlerG.

The last step is to learn how to create a DSDT...it will not be easy for me but i will try with your help too.

• Like 2

Dear all, first of all I would like to thank you for your posts in this guide. If they were not here I would not be able to install Sierra on my machine in any way. I still learn about ACPI tables and DSDT hacks, as well as kexts and other issues which I should know for making my Hackintosh complete and stable - as I was just partly succeseful with my install up to this moment.

My USB3 still do not work reliably. If I do patch DSDT as explained by nmano, and put my BIOS settings for XHCI to SmartAuto and use X99_USB3 kext and patches, I get some USB3 functionality but many USB 1.1 or 2 devices such as keyboard do not work reliably. It seems as keyboard just lags and skips some keystrokes. After trying to put XHCI to Enable, end even Manual, it seemed more reliable, sometimes it worked for hours, but still eventualy start to skipp keystrokes or repeated keystrokes in loop... Finally, as temporary solution I just put XHCI to Disable and it works in USB2 mode without any issues.

Second issue, which is probably tied to my GA X99 UD4 motherboard, is crash on cold boot - on every cold boot computers passes BIOS and Clover loaders and starts loading Sierra (there is progress bar which shows it is working). Then at one moment external USB souncard gets enabled (it lits and pops a sound) and computer switches screen mode to higher resolution and while it is still booting to OS (progress bar moves) it makes kinda power off and reboots. On reboot, or any restart, it boots without any issues.

I am still learning about DSDT patching, but I believed that what I did in my patches was correct - still for sure my results shows that I am wrong. I did some retries without results, and I can not find whare I am mistaken, so I kindly aks you for ideas and any references you reccomend.

Beside these two major flaws, I opted to not bother myself with sleep/wake as well as onboard audio or HDMI audio (I do not find these functions neccessary for me) and I still do not have any fireware, bluetooth or wi-fi cards. Other resources (Nvidia, external USB audio, Samsung 850EVO SSD, other disks) seem to work just fine.

Do you have any helpufull idea about these issues?

Is anyone of experienced members and legends willing to look at my original DSDT and IO files and give me a hand in one more retry?

• Like 1

Just a note: Still getting random (really, really, random) restarts. I can idle for hours... no problem. I can watch videos for hours... no problem. I randomly boot into the OS and 5 minutes later it'll restart.

Switching back to OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi. Been using that for my primary and thankfully no issues... so hopefully that'll cure the random reboots I'm having on my test bench.

Just a note: Still getting random (really, really, random) restarts. I can idle for hours... no problem. I can watch videos for hours... no problem. I randomly boot into the OS and 5 minutes later it'll restart.

Switching back to OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi. Been using that for my primary and thankfully no issues... so hopefully that'll cure the random reboots I'm having on my test bench.

DId you try to patch your bios? Are you using an overclocked profile or auto?

you can test this, but your NMVe device is new to me... 

maybe it´s not working 

Hello SammlerG, with DSDT from you i can't boot with AppleALC installed anymore. It hangs on boot. I have same problem, when i patching DSDT for audio before. It boots with AppleALC only when i rename ALZA -> HDEF and dont do any other patches for audio.

But, sleep WORKS now  :thumbsup_anim:  Thank you for your help. It looks like, that instant wake from sleep was resolved by removing _PRW method from USB. Of course, computer must be waked up with power button. And i dont need VoodooTSCSync kext.

Patched bios running on Auto.

Last week i had several freezes after installing a thunderbolt audio card....i thought it was due to the card so i disconnected and uninstalled but i had the same freezes....so i entered the bios and i changed values from AUTO to core by usage, and i set fixed DDR4 frequecy (i set 2400) because it was in AUTO too...then i had no more restart or freezes. Try you too...

• Like 1

This has been present in X99 (mostly Haswell-E/P, I believe) since 10.10.3. You should probably go back and edit your previous posts that have attached files and make clear that your EFI folder or settings are not actually stable.

My understanding is that is related to MSR's triggering the reboots, so look to AppleIntelInfo and start making changes there.

I have zeroed out 0x1AA along with the patched 0xE2 and I think that catches most of the restarts. I also have EIST disabled and Intel Adapter Thermal Monitor disabled.

Last week i had several freezes after installing a thunderbolt audio card....i thought it was due to the card so i disconnected and uninstalled but i had the same freezes....so i entered the bios and i changed values from AUTO to core by usage, and i set fixed DDR4 frequecy (i set 2400) because it was in AUTO too...then i had no more restart or freezes. Try you too...

Freezing is usually hardware, and is not something I have seen related to XCPM. Good call on manually specifying the RAM, but you might also want to memtest86 it, or stress test in Windows.

• Like 1

Freezing is usually hardware, and is not something I have seen related to XCPM. Good call on manually specifying the RAM, but you might also want to memtest86 it, or stress test in Windows.

You are right, infact i realized that in my case freezes were due by ram frequency. I had everything set in AUTO mode in bios because i don't need to overclock my cpu (when i used 5960X) I've 3000 DDR4 modules so in auto frequency was set to high value and it caused freezes to OSX. I solved it setting 2400 as maximum DDR4 frequency and i had no more problems.

• Like 1

This has been present in X99 (mostly Haswell-E/P, I believe) since 10.10.3. You should probably go back and edit your previous posts that have attached files and make clear that your EFI folder or settings are not actually stable.

My understanding is that is related to MSR's triggering the reboots, so look to AppleIntelInfo and start making changes there.

I have zeroed out 0x1AA along with the patched 0xE2 and I think that catches most of the restarts. I also have EIST disabled and Intel Adapter Thermal Monitor disabled.

I've made sure to only attach files/folders from my primary set up, which is 100% stable (although, it does have missing features, as described in the corresponding post). Unfortunately, my knowledge of editing DSDTs is a bit lacking as I haven't found a good guide/set of instructions on how to do it! So... I have no idea what, "I have zeroed out 0x1AA along with the patched 0xE2 and I think that catches most of the restarts." means...  :blush:

I've made sure to only attach files/folders from my primary set up, which is 100% stable (although, it does have missing features, as described in the corresponding post). Unfortunately, my knowledge of editing DSDTs is a bit lacking as I haven't found a good guide/set of instructions on how to do it! So... I have no idea what, "I have zeroed out 0x1AA along with the patched 0xE2 and I think that catches most of the restarts." means...  :blush:

Got it--sorry I misunderstood what you meant by "test bench."

You already patched 0xE2 when you unlocked the BIOS. You can see that if you compare the AppleIntelInfo readout and look at the 0xE2 section.

0x1AA is another MSR, just like 0xE2, but in this case I blocked it with Clover's on the fly kernel patching by replacing it with all zeroes. I am running 10.11.6 with the Haswell build in question, so my specific patch is not relevant to this thread or the 10.12 kernel, but my general point should still stand.

Use AppleIntelInfo to look at the MSR data. Compare it to other people's who have stable Haswell XCPM setups without restarts. Change one patch at a time and see what the effect is on the MSR's and restarts.

One other thing I did (still in 10.11.6) was to modify oskrit's max 0x199 patch to a sane value, instead of 12700 or whatever he has it set to. I got that information from this very thread, around page 23-24 I think. I do not know if that particular change makes any difference, but I am sure enjoying not having random restarts in 10.11.6 anymore ;)

Hi nmano,

both patches not working for me 

hanging at boot

busy timeout (0), (60s), kext wait (0): ´AppleACPICPU´

Hi SammlerG, one last time... can you build DSDT again for me, please? I have added another m.2 NVMe drive today... I'm done with upgrades now.

Here is my fresh DSDT and ioreg. Thank you very much.

here new DSDT

DSDT.aml.zip

@nmano

can you please help me with this configuration?

Motherboard: X99-E WS

BIOS: 3201

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti

Memory: 32GB 

HDD: Samsung NVMe 950Pro 256gb M.2

HDEF: ALC1150

MacOS: Sierra 10.12.1

Attachments

ACPI Dump from MaciASL: full_acpi.zip

IOJones ioreg file: nextor.ioreg.zip

EFI Clover Config.plist: config.plist.zip

Kext in efi/clover: post-31099-0-43508700-1479035546_thumb.png

Thanks!

Hi, nmano

Why insert in  Pci0  SMC device ?

Thank 

hack from original apple device.

Hi nmano,

both patches not working for me 

hanging at boot

busy timeout (0), (60s), kext wait (0): ´AppleACPICPU´

here new DSDT

Check your SMC compatible 

smc-napa

patched 2 its worked

Real SMC

smc-huronriver

If you add real SMC compatible change to FakeSMC.Kext too.

post-413859-0-00792000-1479045073_thumb.png

post-413859-0-71053700-1479045385_thumb.png

• Like 1

I do not usually use (Intel® XMP) or overclock cause I do not feel the need to do it and prefer to work with the lowest possible temperature. But if i select XMP Profile 1, in the "About This Mac" the correct speed of the RAM automatically appears, in my case 3200Mhz and it works stably and with more score, but as I said I do not feel the need to use it.

Dear all, first of all I would like to thank you for your posts in this guide. If they were not here I would not be able to install Sierra on my machine in any way. I still learn about ACPI tables and DSDT hacks, as well as kexts and other issues which I should know for making my Hackintosh complete and stable - as I was just partly succeseful with my install up to this moment.

Do you have any helpufull idea about these issues?

Is anyone of experienced members and legends willing to look at my original DSDT and IO files and give me a hand in one more retry?

Have you made any more progress or is it all the same? You have in these pages a lot of information, plist, kext, complete EFIs, complete solutions of people that have board and processor equal to your...

Good luck

• Like 1

not working

Its come like this

post-413859-0-28120600-1479058094_thumb.png

What edits do you make to DSDT in total? What effect do they have?

Why not add this SMC device via SSDT? It seems easier and would be compatible with any motherboard then.

Its sample not yet