Patch for using NVMe under macOS Sierra is ready.

1,382 posts in this topic

i thought you had written '960 pro' which is better and faster than the 950 pro, which i poorly described as an upgrade i guess.

960 Pro is an upgrade for 950 Pro.

960 EVO is a different product.

I clearly stated 960 EVO in post #923.

My new 9550 came with a Toshiba 128GB SSD NVMe installed.
Apparently its a new revision (THNSN5512GPUK) and its not showing up as an install target when I run the Sierra setup.
I'm going to go through and try replacing 9sECD4UcAQAA with the other variants tonight and see if any of them works.

Edit to add:  No issues with this drive.  No editing needed.  Whatever issues I had were no fault of this drive.  Works well without any tinkering (except NVMe kext).

Yes... the class-code spoof guide is on tmx, linked from patch-nvme github README.

For ADATA SX8000NP 512GB M2 device with SMI SM2260 controller (VEN_126F, DEV_2260).

What is the extra patch I need to add or edit ?

Hello,

Please bear with me, as I am definitely new here. I am trying to install an ADATA SX8000 NVMe SSD on a 2015 MacBook Pro, using a Sintech adapter. I have run RehabMan's script, using the --spoof option, to create the kext files for 10.12.1—10.12.3. When I run a trial with the stock Apple SSD installed, the kext loads up perfectly fine, however with the non-Apple, ADATA SSD is installed, the kext fails to load on account of a permissions issue. I have been posting to PikerAlpha's blog as well. Any assistance you may be able to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Matthew

Have you solved your problem for ADATA SX8000NP NVMe SSD ?

I have the same model as yours.

Yesterday it was working by Clover with Piker's patches in Asus Z87-Deluxe/Dual MB, but today it is not working by the same patches.

I don't know the reason why.

For ADATA SX8000NP 512GB M2 device with SMI SM2260 controller (VEN_126F, DEV_2260).

What is the extra patch I need to add or edit ?

No experience with it.

Read patch-nvme README.

change the value 0x10 into 0x01 or 0x02, 0x04 and 0x08 to see which one works for your drive.

For example, here's the patch I found for LiteOn CX2-1024(0x10 -> 0x01)

Comment: IONVMeFamily Preferred Block Size 0x10 -> 0x01 (c) Pike R. Alpha 
Name:    IONVMeFamily
find:    <f6c1100f 851c0100 00>
replace: <f6c1010f 851c0100 00>

Notice, I just use 10.12.3 with Piker's patch directly. I do not use any other NVMe script patches from any other.

syscl

Thanks for your advice which works (0x10-> 0x01) for Plextor M8PeG 256GB & 512GB M.2 devices at 10.12.x now.

For ADATA SX8000NP 512GB M2 device with SMI SM2260 controller (VEN_126F, DEV_2260) the same patches are not working.

What is the proper patch I need to add or edit ?

Because I have tried 4 different patches (0x10->0x01, 0x02, 0x04, 0x08), all are not working yet.

Edited by jsl

Hello, i will ask a really newbie question because i'm not finding any consistent info.

If i want to make a clean install of Sierra 10.12.3, for the INSTALLATION part,do i need the ionvmefamily.kext in my usb installer kext folder? Or the clover patches should be enough? And if i need the .kext, does it need to be a specific version like from beta or the version i plan to install? 

Thank you!

But as far as i know, JUST for the INSTALLATION of Sierra, the kext clover patches will suffice, right? i don't need anything else.

HackrNvmeFamily doesn't work for installation, right?

HackrNVMeFamily works for installation if you use the class-code spoof.

• Like 1

i use only 10.12 folder it is the same?

Yes.

Firstly Clover will scan Other, then 10.x (According to your system version)

BTW. Typically I will put "stable" kexts (like FakeSMC) to Other so that it/they can be always injected properly. But actually I prefer to put everything to /L*/E*, it's not a good idea to load kexts via Clover's InjectKext, those kinds of kexts can't go to kernel cache and this may lower efficiency. IMO we shall only use InjectKexts while booting into Installer/Recovery.

i use only 10.12 folder it is the same?

If you are only running 10.12, then it is the same as placing in Other.

I put everything in Other and delete (or leave empty) the version specific directories, as I never find it necessary to use different kexts on EFI/Clover/kexts for different versions of OS X.

After installation, I install all kexts to /L/E or /S/L/E (depending on version), and use kext injection only for the scenarios that require it (installer and recovery) and only for "essential" kexts.

• Like 1

If you are only running 10.12, then it is the same as placing in Other.

I put everything in Other and delete (or leave empty) the version specific directories, as I never find it necessary to use different kexts on EFI/Clover/kexts for different versions of OS X.

After installation, I install all kexts to /L/E or /S/L/E (depending on version), and use kext injection only for the scenarios that require it (installer and recovery) and only for "essential" kexts.

Does this way survive updates? Or does the upgrade wipe S/L/E and L/E clean?

Does this way survive updates? Or does the upgrade wipe S/L/E and L/E clean?

Updates will not delete non-Apple kexts you have installed.

If they did, real Macs would suffer serious issues with each update (printers would stop working, users' installed software would quit working, etc).

• Like 1

Updates will not delete non-Apple kexts you have installed.

If they did, real Macs would suffer serious issues with each update (printers would stop working, users' installed software would quit working, etc).

Awesome! Good to know!  :thumbsup_anim:

So what is wrong with GenericNVME? I have a Plextor m8pe, which AFAIK doesn't seem to work yet on 11.6.

Edit:

For 10_11_6 (15G31):

offset is 0x9188

still doesn't seem to be working, though. hmm

Yes, I have the same Plextor M8Pe 256GB & 512GB M.2 devices which worked perfectly at 10.12.x.

However not working at 10.11.6 yet with 3 different solutions: (1) Piker's patches by Clover's config.plist, (2) RehabMan's HackrNVMeFamity.kext, or (3) Micky1979's IONVMeFamilyBorg.kext.

Hope someone can help for this issue.