Buy OSx86 Retail... in Bangkok

Swad

72 posts in this topic

Yes, but Microsoft has proven that the big money is in controlling a standard operating system. Think about about the profit margins that Microsoft has (~99%) versus Dell (~10%).

If OS X fails to capture some significant portion of the market it will ultimately die due to competion from Linux.

I like how they stole our logo. I dunno wether to be angry or proud.
LOL proud I guess for the fact that they noticed 'our' logo to be very sleek and representatively looking...angry for their shameless thievery of not only the shared & combined wisdom of our boards but also one of our logo's...and as I mentioned some replies before...the suggestion that they are linked to us and the risk we'll be frowned upon because of it...even the risk of apple legal department.

everyone's forgetting that part of the reason behind Apple's success with Mac OS X is that it only has to run on what, 7 or 8 systems?? Whereas Windows has to run on every mom and pop pricewatch system on the market.

I'll buy a MacTel, i'm tempted to get a PPC-based powerbook now!

• 2 weeks later...

This is the downside of the comftable all-in-one releases.

The difference between scene and mafia.

Allways remember - try befor buy. Never make money with warez.
B)

• 6 months later...

What is the fuss about? I can't see any moral /legal difference between downloading an illegaly hacked os version, or buying the same iso already burned to DVD!

Ok, so these guys making a bit money out of a community efford (and mainly maxxuss work), but so do a lot of torrent sites, requiering a membership fee.

I'd rather pay 6 US$ to anybody for a DVD, then spending (again) weeks downloading a torrent which then turns out to be corrupted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I hope that they will be stopped because this only motivates apple more to persue the great hackers that have provided theyre tallents to the cause. I hope that they have been shut down and fined (or arrested is good, but whatever).

bwhsh8r

• 1 month later...

lol :( i should know i live in thailand and i saw them yesterday i got one as a gift since i kept complaining to my friend about slow torrents. lol its vey easy to use insert on startup and dualboot thing is all built in so i find it easy. if anyone wants pics of mine (its different but its from bangkok itselft) i've seen them jsut never realised it was osx86. anyway i cant say no cant i so i had to accept it i know its wrong but ya know. and you are gonna have absolutely no luck on fining them or arresting the whole country is number 3 piracy in the world. first is vietnam then is malaysia(but they are under controlled) then is thailand.

How is a Generic 10.4 Tiger for X86 possible ? The one that is sold in Bangkok may be fake !

10.4 Tiger for X86 is designed to run only on Intel based macs with specific hardware, which is sold by Apple, Hence still u cannot install 10.4 on any PC. For that matter i cannot install OSX on my AMD Athlon XP 2600+ with Asus A7N8x-VM mobo.....

Hope i am being clear or missing something ?

If apple wanted, probably it would have blocked any development of "our" OSX86, but didn't...

you know why?

This is my very personal interpretation:

OSX86 is a very instable project: we have to buy certain hardware to run OS X, and beside this, we still have problems (the updates, for example)...

Users that tried OSX86 and fell in love with this great OS (like me) cannot stand for long the OSX86 limitations and soon or later they'll buy a real Mac.

In the end, we are making Apple's game... we are bringing Apple new customers, new users!!!

This is why OSX86 won't be stopped or obstacolated by Apple.

And this is why OSX will never be released for generic PCs.

Guest bikedude880
If apple wanted, probably it would have blocked any development of "our" OSX86, but didn't...

you know why?

This is my very personal interpretation:

OSX86 is a very instable project: we have to buy certain hardware to run OS X, and beside this, we still have problems (the updates, for example)...

Users that tried OSX86 and fell in love with this great OS (like me) cannot stand for long the OSX86 limitations and soon or later they'll buy a real Mac.

In the end, we are making Apple's game... we are bringing Apple new customers, new users!!!

This is why OSX86 won't be stopped or obstacolated by Apple.

And this is why OSX will never be released for generic PCs.

This is a very interesting thought. I originally got an iBook (Dual USB 2001) back in the day because Windows just wasn't cutting it for everything. I had to stop using it because my adapter broke (and I still haven't replaced it). As a result, no OS X. I then found out about this project and proceded to build my own PC specifically for this task, and it has worked great. The best part? With all the new technology and with Leopard on the horizon, I might just buy another Mac...

How is a Generic 10.4 Tiger for X86 possible ? The one that is sold in Bangkok may be fake !

10.4 Tiger for X86 is designed to run only on Intel based macs with specific hardware, which is sold by Apple, Hence still u cannot install 10.4 on any PC. For that matter i cannot install OSX on my AMD Athlon XP 2600+ with Asus A7N8x-VM mobo.....

Hope i am being clear or missing something ?

Yes you can't on your Athlon XP... but with a cpu that supports sse2 you can. I'm not how you didn't know this... It was what this fourm was made about.... running osx on generic pcs. You can just look around the fourms.

Thanks for the post. I have trying since the past 3 days to get to understand this whole fiasco.

Back about 1 and half year ago, when used to work at India's only Apple retail store AppleCentre, I was quite fascinated by the idea of running an OSX on x86. After a great deal of research I got hold of CherryOS (ppc emulator for OSX, and after its expiration used ppc (free version). Back then it was quite slow and i wondered that how many times will i keep dragging files from one virtual machine to host to open them..

While it was rumoured sevaral years ago (Cheetah and Puma days), that Apple has internal builds of OSX running on x86 machines in their labs, nobody really thougt about it. (We would then by today running OSX on every computer, with all updates)

It seems that the best images of OSx on X86 are something like Deadmoo or some Jaz image (quite questions are raised on integrity of these images).....yet to completely figure out, the best one out there, any suggestions ?

But even Athlon XP do not support SSE2.......................Ahh that reminds me to ask, If i buy the same hardware as sold by Apple (The Processor and mobo) , I can build a complete Apple Intel machine and then I install the original CDs (retail pack) of X86 OSX, then will I able to run a complete OSX the same as sold on Apple website ?

If no, then will have to figure out some emulation again......whiff

• 2 weeks later...