Briefly: OSx86 10.4.8 Cracked....Legally?

sHARD>>

66 posts in this topic

The world of 'OSx86' gets more interesting every day. Kernel hacker semthex has found a way to build a 100% legal 10.4.8 kernel for OS X which runs on everyday PCs. How does it work? Simple, he, along with a few other talented coders including Vitaliy, who started the process, have successfully modified the open source Darwin kernel. Grab some sources, and check out more information on this forum thread.

Of course, nothing is 100% perfect. Though the kernel itself is legal, it seems for full OS X functionality the kernel requires TPM functionality, which isn't including in semthex's legal source tree.

Does this spell the end of the open source kernel? Hopefully it won't mean the end of Darwin. Cheers to giving the world an (almost) legal kernel!

More details as we have them.

Digg me!

The source he published is "legal". But in order to use it, you have to add some things...

Now have fun with the release, my sourcetree is 100% legal release according to APSL since I don't want to get in legal trouble with Apple. It does NOT include r2d2 and the "magic poem" since it would be illegal but bad boys know how to add don't you? But remember it's bad to pirate software.

The world of 'OSx86' gets more interesting every day. Kernel hacker semthex has found a way to build a 100% legal 10.4.8 kernel for OS X which runs on everyday PCs. How does it work? Simple, he, along with a few other talented coders, have successfully modified the open source Darwin kernel. Grab some sources, and check out more information on this forum thread.

Does this spell the end of the open source kernel? Hopefully it won't mean the end of Darwin. Cheers to giving the world a legal kernel!

More details as we have them.

who wrote this stupid news post?

1. Me (and not semthex) was first to get fully working system with 10.4.8, I don't know if semthex found himself which kext to replace to get it working or used my instructions. in any case I started later, worked _alone_ and finished faster

2. theres _no way_ to get 100% legal working 10.4.8 kernel. you need to add tpm-related things or your kernel won't boot. semthex only _published_ 100% legal sources but they won't work (until you add tpm things to it) because he didn't find way how to boot w/o emulating tpm

The source he published is "legal". But in order to use it, you have to add some things...

Exactly. And some those things include decrypted binaries so a DMCA violation is still implicated for OSx86. :idea:

Nonetheless, apparently we finally have a new kernel to run!

:yoji:

Big thanks to Semthex, Rufus and everybody else who has been working hard to get this job done!

This whole osx86 thing pisses me off, really.

And why are you here at all? An Apple "secret agent", I suppose?

Well, then tell your bosses to stop selling their hardware almost double the price, especially upgrades (when available at all).

That is certainly true if you pay in Euro. With the cost of a Mini you can build a desktop twice the specs.

And why are you here at all? An Apple "secret agent", I suppose?

If thats the case, "lostgame" should say "thank you". I don't

know another board on the net with so many Switchers as we

see it here.

Plus it gives everyone the chance to try out OS X and use our

old Computers until they won't make it anymore. Then, we buy

a Mac. And we don't even charge a commission.

:censored2: :wallbash:

Exactly. And some those things include decrypted binaries so a DMCA violation is still implicated for OSx86. :thumbsdown_anim:

Nonetheless, apparently we finally have a new kernel to run!

:P

Big thanks to Semthex, Rufus and everybody else who has been working hard to get this job done!

Why does everyone act as if the DCMA is a global law. It only applies to the US. People in other countries can legally do it. Of course they are breaking the Apple contract which is a civil matter - not criminal.

I agree with most people. If you want a Mac, buy a Mac. There's not that big a difference in price. Of course, I think there is a gap in their product line. They need a mid-tower that a lot of hackintosh fanboys would buy.

Hacking the Mac is a challenge that a lot of people want to do. I bet a lot of people working on this already own a Mac!

Who cares? Get a Mac, do it without an issue.

This whole osx86 thing pisses me off, really.

I said it before and I'll say it again. NO ONE is here because they cannot afford a Mac. (At least not me). We are here cause we love to build our own stuff and refuse to buy Apple hardware just because Jobs doesn't want to retail OS X. There. Just close your insanely mac account. :blink:

Why does everyone act as if the DCMA is a global law. It only applies to the US. People in other countries can legally do it. People in other countries can legally do it. Of course they are breaking the Apple contract which is a civil matter - not criminal.

We do not act as if the DMCA is global. On several occusions, we have moved projects from this forum (which is under US jurisdiction) to ones where the DMCA does not apply. However, the European Union Copyright Directive (EUCD) has some "circumvention" provisions (which may be criminal) that are similiar to the DMCA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EU_Copyright_...ogical_measures

:) nice work dude, hope Apple (Mad DOG Steve) doesn't get pissed and/or jealous of their os on pc running current kernel LoL :)

I hate to ask this, as its a really stupid question.. but what does this news mean? Like what is the point of this? I don't understand what this 'patch' thing does.

.. and Congrats on whatever you achieved!

One step closer to using a non-outdated kernel on our beigeboxes :)

:happymac: nice work dude, hope Apple (Mad DOG Steve) doesn't get pissed and/or jealous of their os on pc running current kernel LoL :)

Actually, Apple seems to have figured out that this sort of activity helps them more than it hurts (so long as it does not get out of their control).

We know this because Apple could easily shut this site down with a lawsuit and certainly did not have to release the 10.4.8 kernel source code that made the lastest OSx86 hack possible.

One more thing...

People running the new kernel are reporting a massive speed increase (like Xbench scores almost doubling)! :)