Haswell-E 5820k 5930k installation guide with full speedstep working

stinga11

358 posts in this topic

I have a 5820k on Asus X99-e ws and El Capitan 10.11.3

I followed the Balamut solution and then move on this guide, yesterday I was able to boot the system, and I have also worked on; Today the system will not boot anymore and restarts automatically before loading the gui. I already patched GraphicsPolicy plugin.

The bios settings are standard; the clover settings are these:

Boot args: -v -xcpm npci=0x2000 nvda_drv=1 kext-dev-mode=1

DSDT fix mask: "new way", "rtc", "del unused", "ADP1", "Add PNLF", "S3D", "Rename ACST", "Add HDMI", "Fix Regions"

SMBIOS MacPro6,1 with board-id: Mac-65CE76090165799A

Pci devices: Usb Ownership, Usb Injection, Inject ClockID

CPU tuning: Enable C6

Binary patching menu: FakeCPUID: 0x0306A0, kext patching allowed, kernelPM patch, AppleRTC patch

Thanks

Using Stinga's method I'm getting a Geekbench score of 3635 / 18137.

Using Balamut's method I'm getting 4173 / 18771

5820k OC'd to 4.0 Ghz

Just booted into windows and the geekbench scores are consistent with Balamut's method for Single core, but I'm getting about 23k in Windows for Multicore. So about 5k difference :-(

@macandrea

Thanks for all your help.  I got everything right where I want it thanks to you!  Getting around the same scores as you posted +/-. 

Just curious... How did you get the wattage to show in Intel Power Gadget?  I haven't seen that in a long time...  Also did you have the freq vectors changed for both configs?  I haven't changed mine.  What are the benefits?

Thanks again!

Danny

I have a 5820k on Asus X99-e ws and El Capitan 10.11.3
I followed the Balamut solution and then move on this guide, yesterday I was able to boot the system, and I have also worked on; Today the system will not boot anymore and restarts automatically before loading the gui. I already patched GraphicsPolicy plugin.
The bios settings are standard; the clover settings are these:
Boot args: -v -xcpm npci=0x2000 nvda_drv=1 kext-dev-mode=1
DSDT fix mask: "new way", "rtc", "del unused", "ADP1", "Add PNLF", "S3D", "Rename ACST", "Add HDMI", "Fix Regions"
SMBIOS MacPro6,1 with board-id: Mac-65CE76090165799A
Pci devices: Usb Ownership, Usb Injection, Inject ClockID
CPU tuning: Enable C6
Binary patching menu: FakeCPUID: 0x0306A0, kext patching allowed, kernelPM patch, AppleRTC patch
Thanks

Did you ever get this working?

I have solved. I put the strings "BooterConfig=0x28" and "CsrActiveConfig=0x67" in config.plist and the system started.

Surely there is something to optimize, in fact I wanted to ask:

Should El Capitan 10.11.3 automatically recognize the 5820k cpu without FakeCPUID?

How can I test if the energy management and the speed step of the cpu work correctly?

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

@onmybikedrunk

here the results I get with two different configuration files, using a 46x max multiplier with BCLK set to 100:

config-1.plist: no FakeCPUID, using xcmp

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-02-08 at 22.15.37.png

config-2.plist: FakeCPUID set to 0x0306e2. NULLCPU

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-02-08 at 22.15.53.png

I had some stability issues @47x, so I got lower scores than expected (had to boot @46x) - config.plist files attached.

Please tell me if you also need to know my BIOS settings. I am using latest 10.11.4 Beta (15E39c).

Hey, thanks for your inputs!

I tried your configuration (FakeCPUID set to 0x0306e2 + NULLCPU) with the same BIOS settings. I'm running Yosemite 10.10.5 on a Asus X99 Deluxe with a 5930k OC'd to 4.5Ghz.

Everything works fine, but my processor stays at max Frequency almost all the time. My score is fine, 25k, but I wish I had better PM.

with XCPM and EIST enabled, from main topic config, I get good management, but my score gets lowered down and Frequency gets very unstable. It would be fine for overall usage, but as I use a lot of power for video encoding, this would be a drawback.

Will really appreciate any help.

EDIT: Got it working on El Capitan 10.11.3, must be yosemite problem. 27894 was highest. Odd how I got 2k more compared to Yosemite.

config.plist.zip

post-1673441-0-34917800-1457025945_thumb.png

post-1673441-0-26636300-1457744545_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

hi all,

i found this topic very interesting for my configuration and I would like to try some of this methods.

but fisrt of all why I can't install intel power gadget 3.0 on my asus x99-a with intel i7 5930K?

error: it support only 2nd generation intel core processor or later.

thanks

Stinga--I noticed this error in console and have been trying to address it, but it still remains.

X86PlatformShim::start - Failed to send stepper

Pike states that it is caused by a failure to find the board-id's frequency vectors. I know that the X79 Plugin kext is supposed to be injecting that information, but it does not seem to be working quite right. 

I also tried to modified the X86PlatforumPlugin manually to ensure that the MacPro Board-ID plist was in there (I stole the one from the X79 plugin), but it still generates this same error. 

I then tried a iMac14,2 SMBIOS, but no difference in power management.

I assume this is part of why we have incomplete power management with Hasewll-EP. For example, turbo states are not reached reliably, nor does a 100% load even result in non-turbo states being flat-lined in IPG. 

Running Cinebench gives dramatically different scores each time, with mine varying from as low as the 800s, to as high as 1710.

Are other people also having this problem? If not, please post your SSDT and config.plist.

The reason that this error appears is that you need to select frequency vectors from a mac that most closely matches your CPU. iMac 17,1 is Skylake not Haswell and has different CPU PM. The closest CPU to Haswell-E is, er, Haswell. So select a plist from a Haswell Mac and rename it to the MacPro6,1 board-id then use that in your X99X86PlatformPlugin injector. That way you get xcpm power management automatically with no -xcpm boot flag, no FakeCPUID, no console errors :)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The reason that this error appears is that you need to select frequency vectors from a mac that most closely matches your CPU. iMac 17,1 is Skylake not Haswell and has different CPU PM. The closest CPU to Haswell-E is, er, Haswell. So select a plist from a Haswell Mac and rename it to the MacPro6,1 board-id then use that in your X99X86PlatformPlugin injector. That way you get xcpm power management automatically with no -xcpm boot flag, no FakeCPUID, no console errors :)

This is unfamiliar territory for me.... BUT ⬇︎

Fom what I can tell from the linked chart, is the iMac15,1 (Late 2014 5K iMac) which had an option for the Haswell 4790K upgrade is the best option here.  From what I can tell this is the most recent/powerful Haswell CPU used.

Info taken from Wikipedia's list of Mac models grouped by CPU Type

If this is the case then this resource list is available in Pike's script... BUT, this script isn't necessary with eh X99X86PlatformPlugin injector correct?

More specific info for this Mac is the following:

iMac "Core i7" 4.0 27-Inch (5K, Late 2014) 4.0 GHz Core i7

(I7-4790K) Intro. October 16, 2014*

Disc. October 13, 2015 Order BTO/CTO

Model A1419 (EMC 2806)

Family Retina 5K, Late 2014

ID iMac15,1

RAM 8 GB

VRAM 2 GB

Storage 1 TB (Fusion)

Optical None*

Complete iMac "Core i7" 4.0 27-Inch (5K, Late 2014) Specs

EDITED.

• 2 weeks later...

I have found that I get more P-states if I use the i7 Haswell MacBookPro Mac-E43C1C25D4880AD6.plist data. make sure you construct your X99PlatformPlugin.kext from the latest El Capo X86PlatformPlugin.kext (just up the version number in the plist etc. etc.). You don't need Pike's script if you go down the injector route.

• Like 2

I have here two aml files from X99-UD5-WIFI motherboard with same BIOS version and both clocked to 4,3 GHz

One is X99-UD5-WIFI-5930k-4,3 GHz
And one is X99-UD5-WIFI-5960X-4,3 GHz

I hope this will help you guys to get EC running on 5960X

X99-UD5-WIFI-5930k-4,3 GHz.zip

X99-UD5-WIFI-5960X-4,3 GHz.aml.zip

I have found that I get more P-states if I use the i7 Haswell MacBookPro Mac-E43C1C25D4880AD6.plist data. make sure you construct your X99PlatformPlugin.kext from the latest El Capo X86PlatformPlugin.kext (just up the version number in the plist etc. etc.). You don't need Pike's script if you go down the injector route.

Man, I want to update the OP and removed the CPUFAKEID but the problem is the PSTATE. You can upload a photo using the msrdumper(please dont use other) To update the OP with your credits obviously.

THANKS

Hi guys,

i made a fresh install on Elcapitan 10.11.4. all works perfectly but the power management is really strange.

The score is different between the first pass and the fourth pass = 24000 to 15000 after 5 minutes of use ! and now it stay low, i have to restart the computer to have a good score.

it looks like the processor weakened after each Geekbench... 

do you have an idea?

i tried lot of solutions. with or without : SSDt, Fakecpuid, Eist, Nullcpumanager, profile6,1, profile14,2, profile 5,1

Cpu: 5820k

Asus X99 deluxe

thanks in advance for your help.

S.

Hi guys,

i made a fresh install on Elcapitan 10.11.4. all works perfectly but the power management is really strange.

The score is different between the first pass and the fourth pass = 24000 to 15000 after 5 minutes of use ! and now it stay low, i have to restart the computer to have a good score.

it looks like the processor weakened after each Geekbench... 

do you have an idea?

i tried lot of solutions. with or without : SSDt, Fakecpuid, Eist, Nullcpumanager, profile6,1, profile14,2, profile 5,1

Cpu: 5820k

Asus X99 deluxe

thanks in advance for your help.

S.

Try this clover config https://www.dropbox.com/s/9oayvyve3h2f4mp/asus%20x99%20deluxe.zip?dl=0

Turn off EIST in bios

Man, I want to update the OP and removed the CPUFAKEID but the problem is the PSTATE. You can upload a photo using the msrdumper(please dont use other) To update the OP with your credits obviously.

THANKS

My 5930K is overclocked to 4.1Ghz so max P state is 41...

Console output:

xxxxx-Mac-Pro:~ xxxx$ sysctl machdep.xcpm.mode

machdep.xcpm.mode: 1

Last login: Fri Apr 15 19:11:22 on console

xxxxx-Mac-Pro:~ xxxx$ sysctl machdep.xcpm

machdep.xcpm.mode: 1

machdep.xcpm.hard_plimit_max_100mhz_ratio: 41

machdep.xcpm.hard_plimit_min_100mhz_ratio: 8

machdep.xcpm.soft_plimit_max_100mhz_ratio: 41

machdep.xcpm.soft_plimit_min_100mhz_ratio: 8

machdep.xcpm.tuib_plimit_max_100mhz_ratio: 41

machdep.xcpm.tuib_plimit_min_100mhz_ratio: 8

machdep.xcpm.tuib_enabled: 0

machdep.xcpm.power_source: 0

machdep.xcpm.bootplim: 0

machdep.xcpm.bootpst: 41

machdep.xcpm.tuib_ns: 0

machdep.xcpm.ratio_changes_total: 401292

machdep.xcpm.maxbusdelay: 0

machdep.xcpm.maxintdelay: 0

machdep.xcpm.mbd_mode: 1

machdep.xcpm.mbd_applications: 0

machdep.xcpm.mbd_relaxations: 0

machdep.xcpm.forced_idle_ratio: 100

machdep.xcpm.forced_idle_period: 30000000

machdep.xcpm.deep_idle_log: 0

machdep.xcpm.qos_txfr: 1

machdep.xcpm.deep_idle_count: 0

machdep.xcpm.deep_idle_last_stats: n/a

machdep.xcpm.deep_idle_total_stats: n/a

machdep.xcpm.cpu_thermal_level: 0

machdep.xcpm.gpu_thermal_level: 0

machdep.xcpm.io_thermal_level: 0

machdep.xcpm.io_control_engages: 0

machdep.xcpm.io_control_disengages: 1

machdep.xcpm.io_filtered_reads: 0

Speedstep.tiff

• Like 1

How can I construct X99PlatformPlugin.kext? 

• Like 1

I would also like to know how...

Extract X86PlatformPlugin.kext from IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext in S/L/E

Rename it X99PlatformPlugin.kext

Go to Info.plist and change all version numbers to 9.1.1

Go to Resources folder and delete all plists except the one you want to use for frequency vectors

Rename the one remaining plist to Mac-F60DEB81FF30ACF6.plist if you are using MacPro6,1 as model identifier

sudo cp -R X99PlatformPlugin.kext /Library/Extensions

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel

• Like 2

After some testing this is what I've found;

Cpu: 5930k OC to 4.2 on Asus X99-E WS board.

When using Geekbench the cpu jumps from 2.6 to 3.56, CPU usage never goes above 70%, but with Cinebench I get 100% CPU usage and the line stays right around the line of 3.56, going between 3.0 and 3.56. Also looks like the turbo doesn't work correctly.

But, when I add -x 1 key to ssdt script (this adds XCMP support), I get full turbo, and running Cinebench gets me 3.9-4.2 and almost flatlines.

Look at the screenshot, on the Intel Power Gadget l have Geekbench at the beginning and Cinebench and the end.

On Cinebech #2 is with -x key, and #6 without. This is just with moderate OC to 4.2

The odd thing is Power, according to IPG CPU draws less power then my mouse :)

attachicon.gifFinalRun.jpg

On the side note: can anyone help me with tuning Rampagedevs SSDT for X99 boards to Asus X99-E WS?

Hi, what do you mean by "But, when I add -x 1 key to ssdt script (this adds XCMP support)" can you give me an example please, I have the same processor.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...