New AppleHDA Patcher

Mirone

306 posts in this topic

Sensational nothing short of Masterfully done.  Thanks very much for all your hard work.  If we had folks like you in R&D to come up with an entirely new and different PC operating system it would be you guys!!

• Like 5

Mirone,

I have used your AppleHDA kexts patched for ALC269VC installed in S/L/E since Mavericks.  They just work :thumbsup_anim:   After the latest Apple security update wiped out AppleHDA again (Yosemite 10.10.5, AppleHDA 272.18.3) I used Toleda's ALC CLover script to get the basic Clover method installed.  Of course my sound didn't worlk afterward as he doesn't support ALC269VC.  But after some investigation in to your modifications that always work, I discovered that using your pin configurations, LayoutID, and removing the Clover XML patch applied to AppleHDA in config.plist resulted in working sound again.  Does this new method result in a Clover "patch native AppleHDA on-the-fly" installation?  Or do I end up with a patched AppleHDA installed in S/L/E?  Just looking for your advice for if/when I try updating to El Capitan again.

Thanks for giving me sound :whistle:

• Like 2

Mirone,

I have used your AppleHDA kexts patched for ALC269VC installed in S/L/E since Mavericks.  They just work :thumbsup_anim:   After the latest Apple security update wiped out AppleHDA again (Yosemite 10.10.5, AppleHDA 272.18.3) I used Toleda's ALC CLover script to get the basic Clover method installed.  Of course my sound didn't worlk afterward as he doesn't support ALC269VC.  But after some investigation in to your modifications that always work, I discovered that using your pin configurations, LayoutID, and removing the Clover XML patch applied to AppleHDA in config.plist resulted in working sound again.  Does this new method result in a Clover "patch native AppleHDA on-the-fly" installation?  Or do I end up with a patched AppleHDA installed in S/L/E?  Just looking for your advice for if/when I try updating to El Capitan again.

One of the new features is that,
you can drag your .xml files + NativeAppleHDA
the version of OS X you want to get, take a look on
downloads section it better explains all the functions of the application.
  • Like 1

This works also for Ozmosis? Thanks! 

It's such a great app, I'm looking forward to test it.

Ozmosis? you mean Quo Motherboard??

If yes I think is really ease to extract Platform.xlm, layoutX.xml and the pinconfiguration from the Info.plist already patched by THeKing, and you can reuse that after each update

..or

@Mirone what about implement that permanently? Need only to know what layout id to use.

• Like 1

Mirone,

AppleHDA Patcher.app provide you:

• a full patched AppleHDA.kext (if you want replace the one in SLE), using this you only need to activate tha layoutid (using DSDT patch or HDAEnabler.kext, or, using Clover config under Audio->inject->"number"). The binary is patched and don't need Clover KextsToPatch, so remove them if you use the full patched AppleHDA.kext.
  • an aDummyHDA.Kext that you can install in SLE permanetly or in /CLOVER/kext/. With that you also have to use Clover config Audio->inject->"number" to activate the kext, but you have to patch the binary using Clover config "KernelAndKextPatch"-->"KextsToPatch" (AppleHDA Patcher.app provide you the array to add, ie KextsToPatch.plist). With this method the AppleHDA.kext in SLE must be vanilla (so no more edits until Apple will change AppleHDA radically).

Don't use both methods!

• Like 1

Thanks for this!

I've ran into the same problem I had with Toleda's one though. If I put the dummy kext into Clover's OEM kexts folder it fails to load (bdmesg reports "thinning failed"). If I put it into /S/L/E it works.

I've been using Pike's dummy HDA so far but I also have to put that into /S/L/E so I'm looking for a solution I can run from EFI.

• Like 2

Thanks for this!

I've ran into the same problem I had with Toleda's one though. If I put the dummy kext into Clover's OEM kexts folder it fails to load (bdmesg reports "thinning failed"). If I put it into /S/L/E it works.

I've been using Pike's dummy HDA so far but I also have to put that into /S/L/E so I'm looking for a solution I can run from EFI.

You are right, only binaries executables can be thinned (nothing to be swapped and nothing to be loaded to the memory map), dummy kext has a symlink that replace the binary: kextcache and kextd can solve the symlink path, so that's why works in SLE.

To solve we should ask Slice to do a trick:

- resolve symlink, but this will increase boot time if done for all kexts

or

- add a specific function for AppleHDA...like, if the kext is called "aDummyHDA.kext" and loaded from EFI folder, Clover should load /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA among with this kext. At least when running an OSX partition (not for Installer or Recovery... we can't).

Why is called aDummyHDA.kext? Because he comes before AppleHDA.kext in alphabetical order.. this should help the bootloader to load it.

mmhm, maybe I can do that also for Enoch..

EDIT

anyway aDummyHDA.kext should always works in SLE, the problem if you want to not add any kext(s) in SLE for some reasons

Our guys make own .xml file but rename it to .zml. It can be put in the same place as native .xml.

Then instruct Clover to patch AppleHDA binary to use .zml instead of .xml.

That's all. All updates will never replace your zml file.

Clover's driver VBoxHFS.efi understands symlinks if you want. I just didn't catch the idea.

As well the problem with AppleHDA has 6 years history beside me. I am using VoodooHDA.

• Like 1

Well, intresting, I can provide additional patch like that:

Comment: layout%ld.xml.zlib to layout%ld.zml.zlib:

Name:    AppleHDA

Find:      6C 61 79 6F 75 74 25 6C 64 2E 78 6D 6C 2E 7A 6C 69 62

Replace: 6C 61 79 6F 75 74 25 6C 64 2E 7A 6D 6C 2E 7A 6C 69 62

Comment: Platforms.xml.zlib to Platforms.zml.zlib

Name:    AppleHDA

Find:      50 6C 61 74 66 6F 72 6D 73 2E 78 6D 6C 2E 7A 6C 69 62

Replace: 50 6C 61 74 66 6F 72 6D 73 2E 7A 6D 6C 2E 7A 6C 69 62

Just looked at the binary and I think I have found what I need, Is correct? EDIT should be :D

This also should not break the code signature...

The method that Toleda uses is a little cleaner. He uses the following Clover patch to rename zml to xml:

<dict>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>AppleHDA</string>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>eG1sLnps</data>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>em1sLnps</data>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>AppleHDA/Resources/xml>zml</string>
			</dict>

So with this patch, the binary patches and the zml files copied into AppleHDA/Resources, all that's left to do is inject the pinconfig. I made a injector kext for this (so no binary needed) and it seems to work. No more need for a dummy kext in /S/L/E.

If I copy the zml files into the injector kext with a script that when double-clicked will copy them into AppleHDA then I have a way to set up AppleHDA in a new install.

The method that Toleda uses is a little cleaner. He uses the following Clover patch to rename zml to xml:

<dict>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>AppleHDA</string>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>eG1sLnps</data>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>em1sLnps</data>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>AppleHDA/Resources/xml>zml</string>
			</dict>

So with this patch, the binary patches and the zml files copied into AppleHDA/Resources, all that's left to do is inject the pinconfig. I made a injector kext for this (so no binary needed) and it seems to work. No more need for a dummy kext in /S/L/E.

If I copy the zml files into the injector kext with a script that when double-clicked will copy them into AppleHDA then I have a way to set up AppleHDA in a new install.

base64 ​eG1sLnps is equal to hex "786d6c2e7a6c" that is equal to "xml.zl"

AppleHDAPatcher should not use that because he support 10.7.x too, where the ".zlib" does not exist (so need adjustment). Meklort methods to patch binaries used by Clover scan each bytes of the executable, so no less time to patch it(at least not really misurable). But also exist in the binary an occurences like "H∏s.xml.zl" that appear to me have nothing to do with z compressed files.... and since I discover that only 3 hours ago by Slice, also I can't say for sure because not tried yet, but I will!

EDIT

You can give it a try if work? ..sorry here is 1.49 AM and I'm in bed

Just tried it here. I left out the .zlib bit at the end seeing as it shouldn't matter. However the sound didn't work. I guess it needs to match all three results.

So I searched for just .xml and it returned the same 3 hits as xml.zl.

Patching just .xml to .zml works :)

2e 78 6d 6c -> 2e 7a 6d 6c

I checked the AppleHDA binary from 10.7.5 and there are four instances of .xml (two each for layout%ld and Platforms as it also includes 32-bit code). So the patch should also work fine there.

Great work on this app guys!!!  I actually just used it to generate a patched AppleHDA.kext using based on Realtek ALC269VC laptop profile.  I'm now able to get sound out of my Sony Vaio E Series SVE1712BCXB Laptop on both internal speakers and 1/8 output.   :thumbsup_anim: 

Question: My built-in mic is not working.  I had actually tried both the ALC269VC and ALC269VC2 profiles.  Neither of them activate the mic.  In fact the VC2 profile did not output sound or activate the mic.  Is there any way I can correct this? It was working under VoodooHDA. Codec dump from Linux is attached.  

Thanks guys!

codec_dump.txt

Great work on this app guys!!!  I actually just used it to generate a patched AppleHDA.kext using based on Realtek ALC269VC laptop profile.  I'm now able to get sound out of my Sony Vaio E Series SVE1712BCXB Laptop on both internal speakers and 1/8 output.   :thumbsup_anim: 

Question: My built-in mic is not working.  I had actually tried both the ALC269VC and ALC269VC2 profiles.  Neither of them activate the mic.  In fact the VC2 profile did not output sound or activate the mic.  Is there any way I can correct this? It was working under VoodooHDA. Codec dump from Linux is attached.  

Thanks guys!

Open AppleHDA Patcher.app and click on Mirone avatar, the app will open the Mirone's "patch request topic", post there your files.

Just tried it here. I left out the .zlib bit at the end seeing as it shouldn't matter. However the sound didn't work. I guess it needs to match all three results.

So I searched for just .xml and it returned the same 3 hits as xml.zl.

Patching just .xml to .zml works :)

2e 78 6d 6c -> 2e 7a 6d 6c

I checked the AppleHDA binary from 10.7.5 and there are four instances of .xml (two each for layout%ld and Platforms as it also includes 32-bit code). So the patch should also work fine there.

Thanks for testing, we will add that for AppleHA Patcher.app!

• Like 1

I'm using this injector on all three of the hacks in my sig now and it seems to be working well. However, injecting the zml files into AppleHDA will break the kext signature.

Considering that the alternative is to use a unsigned dummy kext I don't think it matters all that much but I figured I'd mention this as the Clover patches alone won't invalidate the kext signature.

• Like 1

This works great. Used to patch vanilla AppleHDA on a fresh 10.10.5 install on my AMD machine with ALC662 codec. Using the generated AppleHDA and HDAEnabler with my layout :D

Thanks a lot, great work guys.

Screen Shot 2015-11-20 at 22.28.32.png

• Like 2