El Capitan on GA-Z170X-Gaming 5

Cyberdevs

769 posts in this topic

That's great John_s, unfortunately I have graphics issues with sierra, old black screen case which I couldn't get it to work so I'm waiting for the final release of sierra to see if it's any different from the first public beta.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone tested macOS Sierra on their Hackintosh here? Any issues? 

I tested macOS Sierra on two computers one of them has an ATI Radeon 5770 and a Core i3 processor which is my older rig and everything went smoothly but on my newer rig I have black screen issue with my AMD 7790 Radeon display adapter and I didn't put enough effort to solve the problem, but if you are asking if is it supported on skylake processors and your hardware I will say it will, but as I recall you used AMD graphics which might be a bit challenging.

But you won't know for sure unless you try it.

I'm waiting for macOS Sierra's final version to test and see if it works for me or not.

Any updates on this?

Still up and running. Using latest clover and app store sierra. Graphics work with plist edit and standard boot flag nvidia Web drivers, audio working using applehda patcher, speedstep with ssdtprgen. imac17 smbios no issues.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is my EFI setup.

YMMV.

Great job!

I'm still struggling with the black screen issue on my AMD 7790 VGA.

It will boot up and detect my AMD radeon only if use IGFX as the primary video controller otherwise no luck so far.

I have no experience with Radeon cards or the igpu sorry.

Both my hacks (laptop and desktop) are running 10.12.1 with no issues.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It's ok no worries,

I have another workstation with ATI Radeon 5770 and a core i3 Processor which runs macOS sierra with no issues. ATI 5770 is one of the Graphic adapters which apple used in earlier versions MacPro.

AMD radeon 7790 is not natively supported by Mac OS but I was able to getting it to work in El Capitan but the same settings don't apply to Sierra.

AMD radeon 7790 is not natively supported by Mac OS but I was able to getting it to work in El Capitan but the same settings don't apply to Sierra.

it's a Clover bug/limitation. With new AMD cards (>GCN1.2), it leads to boot to black screen and/or gives you black screen outside of wake/sleep cycle. Put iGFX on in BIOS and set it as primary. Then still connect your monitor to AMD. Everything should go fine, but you will lose the BIOS post and Clover boot option but eventually things work out.

• Like 1

it's a Clover bug/limitation. With new AMD cards (>GCN1.2), it leads to boot to black screen and/or gives you black screen outside of wake/sleep cycle. Put iGFX on in BIOS and set it as primary. Then still connect your monitor to AMD. Everything should go fine, but you will lose the BIOS post and Clover boot option but eventually things work out.

Thanks a lot for the tip, I will try it as soon as I can and will get back to you with the result.

hello

i`m tryn for a few days to install el capitan on my intel pc ( Gigabyte Z170xp-SLI )

first i use an VMware with OS x and tryed to make an usb stick with clover, etc. 

after a few days, i use Trans mac on windows to create an usb bootable. I used an RAW image El capitan. 

i downloaded EFI archive created for Z170X gamming 5 from another user.

what should i do ? Delete Efi folder on stick, replace with EFI folder for Gigabyte z170 ?

the second folder __MACOSX , where should i put it ?

hello

i`m tryn for a few days to install el capitan on my intel pc ( Gigabyte Z170xp-SLI )

first i use an VMware with OS x and tryed to make an usb stick with clover, etc. 

after a few days, i use Trans mac on windows to create an usb bootable. I used an RAW image El capitan. 

i downloaded EFI archive created for Z170X gamming 5 from another user.

what should i do ? Delete Efi folder on stick, replace with EFI folder for Gigabyte z170 ?

the second folder __MACOSX , where should i put it ?

Hi and welcome,

When you are using EFI folder from another computer or user you must make sure that the components of the mainboards are somewhat similar, and when you installed clover on your bootable device say USB stick or Hard Disk you need to replace the original EFI folder on that device with the one you are going to use. You can use EFI mounter or Clover configurator to mount the EFI partition which is hidden by default then replace the EFI folder completely or just replace files or folder that you need to use. about __MACOSX you can completely ignore the folder or just delete it because it has no use for you.

thanks for your answer

you tell me somehow, when EFI folder is created it has a fingerprint of my components.

That EFI folder it has to complete with new files. it looks like using drivers in windows.

did i understand you right ?

Witch folder should I complete? Where should I put the new files to create an EFI folder for my components ?

Remember, i`m running in windows. I use Transmac, and I have access only to EFI partition in windows.

thanks for your answer

you tell me somehow, when EFI folder is created it has a fingerprint of my components.

That EFI folder it has to complete with new files. it looks like using drivers in windows.

did i understand you right ?

Witch folder should I complete? Where should I put the new files to create an EFI folder for my components ?

Remember, i`m running in windows. I use Transmac, and I have access only to EFI partition in windows.

EFI folder contains several parts which are crucial for you computer to boot Mac OS X correctly, one of which is a folder called kexts and it contains all the drivers per say for your computer to work properly. When you install clover it will ask you how to install clover. It could be taunting if you don't know which is which and what is what. for more info go to https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/configurationand you'll find all the information you need about cover and its settings.

EFI partition is a part of every GPT formatted hard disk and is used for booting windows or mac os and clover takes advantage of this technology to simulate apple ROM and PRAM to boot into Mac OS X.

Would this install procedure work on the GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-UD3 Ultra or GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 boards?  I just wanted to check before I invested in a new system.

About the Gaming 7 version you can see this topic http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/309729-gigabyte-z170x-gaming-7-success-hackintosh/?hl=+ga#8208z170x&#8208gaming&page=8

There are several differences between Gaming 5 and Gaming 7 versions specially their Audio and USB chipsets, see the following comparison between these three mainboards.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/comparison/list.aspx?ck=2&pids=5481,5498,5891

The UD3 Ultra is the newest mainboard and it has a Thunderbolt port which you might find very useful if you want to use Thunderbolt supported devices.

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to install El Capitan on my setup, with a similiar board. However, every time I try to boot I get a "this os is not supported on this platform error" followed by reason and then a serial number of a 17,1 imac inserted by clover. When I clear the SMBIOS settings I get the same error but then with the reason "M170A Gaming M5" which is my mainboard. What am I doing wrong here?

Last time I installed OSX (ML on a ThinkPad T420) I got clover to work thanks to kogenmantis but now I'm a bit stuck...

My setup is:

MSI Z170A Gaming M5

i5 6600K 3,5GHz

MSI GTX 970 4G

2x Intel M.2 120GB ssd's

1x ADATA SP900 128GB SSD

2x 8GB 3000MHz Crucial DDR4

Searched a bit but further then "it's smbios related" didn't my search results explain it to me. The only post related to my specific hardware was placed on a forum that shall not be named including tools that shall not be used, so that's why I'm asking here now.

With kind regards,

distortionmusic

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to install El Capitan on my setup, with a similiar board. However, every time I try to boot I get a "this os is not supported on this platform error" followed by reason and then a serial number of a 17,1 imac inserted by clover. When I clear the SMBIOS settings I get the same error but then with the reason "M170A Gaming M5" which is my mainboard. What am I doing wrong here?

Last time I installed OSX (ML on a ThinkPad T420) I got clover to work thanks to kogenmantis but now I'm a bit stuck...

My setup is:

MSI Z170A Gaming M5

i5 6600K 3,5GHz

MSI GTX 970 4G

2x Intel M.2 120GB ssd's

1x ADATA SP900 128GB SSD

2x 8GB 3000MHz Crucial DDR4

Searched a bit but further then "it's smbios related" didn't my search results explain it to me. The only post related to my specific hardware was placed on a forum that shall not be named including tools that shall not be used, so that's why I'm asking here now.

With kind regards,

distortionmusic

Hi there and welcome.

First of all make sure you have the latest version of Mac OS X El Capitan installer which is 10.11.6 and the latest version of Clover boot loader which is 3899.

Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11 was not supporting SkyLake processors. 

In the second step after downloading the latest version of Mac OS X from AppStore use "createinstallmedia" (Google it) method or any other method suitable for you to create a new USB installer and then start from there.

You can also download Clover Configurator to create or modify your config plist and choose iMac 17,1 SMBIOS from the built-in wizard in clover configurator.

Good Luck.

@cyberdevs you are right, my bad, I didn't check that. I booted the installer on my old Sandy Bridge (which booted without any issues ofcourse) laptop and used the terminal command sw_vers -buildVersion to check, and it is indeed the first release of 10.11, 15A284.

Strange thing is, that I did use createinstallmedia when I created the USB about a month ago with the original App Store installer. Kind of weird that the download Apple served me last month was the first version.

What would be a better option, to download latest El Capitan or go for Sierra instead?