Clover or Chameleon?

21 posts in this topic

Which do you recommend? It would be a legacy install of the public Beta. I'm happily running 10.10.2 on my current setup using Chameleon. Might be hard to switch to Clover and have 10.10.2 still be bootable? I'd be putting 10.11 on a new separate hard drive. thanks for any info.

I am still on AWARD BiOS so On my next system I might try Clover again but with AWARD BiOS and DSDT Clover is really kind of a nightmare.

Thanks to Enoch's latest Chameleon all compatibility issues with SSDs and large Graphics card BiOSs have been rectified making setting up and booting a new system with non-efi partition boot loader easy to install and launch with little tweaking.

As mentioned above Your choice will depend on your hardware but the latest CHameleon is way better than what we were working with in the early days of Yosemite. So you can use it with AWARD or with uEFI

...IMHO

• 2 months later...
100% Clover !

All of my three computers using Clover. It is necessary to properly configure the boot loader and your computer will run like a real Mac. You can easily update the system with no need to re-tune the sound, graphics. Can the old system to install the new system as it makes a real Mac.
  • Like 1

I use Chameleon Enoch because i have all computers with legacy bios and let me boot easily multiboot Osx in mbr partitions.

I have used Chameleon since i have built my first hackintosh ...

Yes Clover is a valid alternative, but IMHO i prefer Chameleon

BTW it's your choice !!

• Like 3

I use Chameleon Enoch because i have all computers with legacy bios and let me boot easily multiboot Osx in mbr partitions.

I have used Chameleon since i have built my first hackintosh ...

Yes Clover is a valid alternative, but IMHO i prefer Chameleon

BTW it's your choice !!

Same here I always used Chameleon and I always make a mess with Clover. I have a GA Z77 UP4 TH  as my main build and I'm doing fine with it. Still waiting to make a good installation of El Capitan ( I tried about 20 times) for USB, audio and HD 3000 issues. But Enoch (or Chameleon) will be my boot loader.

• Like 1

Oh man... I remember when Yosemite was in testing, there was no bootloader to boot it other than Clover. Tony was like "we don't release our tools until Yosemite is finally out". Half a year from now! And I was like: "ok then, I'm going Clover".

Never switched back ever since.

Also, at some point, I had some issues with the sound after a delta or combo update (can't remember right now), I was using one of their kexts to patch it. I think the kext was made by toleda, that was the first time I heard about him. So in order to get my sound fixed again, I had to look for a newer version of that freaking kext online, until tony updated the tool to incorporate the newer version and fix my sound. Which finally happened after a very long time! So yeah, I started looking for alternatives. Now I'm using toleda's Clover patch-on-the fly. Never had issues after upgrades ever again. Also, it doesn't touch AppleHDA.kext. Which I think is awesome.

So, to sum-up.

Do you want customization options to tweak everything you want on your system? Go Clover.

You want to be able to run newest OS X releases, before the final release comes out, without waiting for Tony to mercifully release a build to help you boot it? Go Clover.

You want a bootloader that can boot BOTH in legacy and UEFI mode, depending on your motherboard? Go Clover.

You want a lazy-ass solution for legacy booting only? Go Chameleon.

To answer your question: yes, I would switch from Chameleon to Clover anytime. And yes, I think you will be able to make a Clover-booted USB installer of 10.11, with a little help, in no time.

Does Clover have a bit of a steep learning curve to it, especially coming from Chameleon? Yes, it does. Is it worth it? Yes, it definitely is. 

• Like 1

Oh man... I remember when Yosemite was in testing, there was no bootloader to boot it other than Clover. Tony was like "we don't release our tools until Yosemite is finally out". Half a year from now! And I was like: "ok then, I'm going Clover".

Actually. That is not entirely true. Look here: https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2014/06/04/os-x-10-10-yosemite-dp1-kernelcache/

Yup. I did all the hard work for RevoBoot and later helped the developers of Chameleon, but we could boot Yosemite from the day that Apple released the first Developer Preview.

Actually. That is not entirely true. Look here: https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2014/06/04/os-x-10-10-yosemite-dp1-kernelcache/

Yup. I did all the hard work for RevoBoot and later helped the developers of Chameleon, but we could boot Yosemite from the day that Apple released the first Developer Preview.

Thanks, Pike. :)

You know, I actually remember that post of yours. :P I have read it before, though, at the time, I didn't (and I still don't) get much of what you said there. :)) Not your fault, of course. But I'm just saying.

And...I don't know, I remember Clover was the first bootloader to support Yosemite. Chameleon came along too. But, at the time, I still didn't know how to make a bootable USB for Yosemite without using Uni... and also, based on my previous experiences with Tony's tools, I decided it was time to switch to something else. And I don't regret it. I think it was a good move. Also, I didn't know how to use RevoBoot, at the time. Never tried it before. Maybe I will. :)

Still, yes, I do remember reading that post of yours. Awesome stuff. Congrats. :) And thank you.

I just remind that saving panic.log and hibernation works only with Clover.

Some tiny differences like SystemProfiler and supported hardware.

Revoboot compiled only for yourself, isn't it? Nobody else can use it.

Chameleon works... somehow...somewhere...

i was booting 10.11 on ozmosis moments after the first DP was released, before anyone with clover was, and i personally wouldn't use any boot option that had Alpha code in it.

Be happy!

i was booting 10.11 on ozmosis moments after the first DP was released, before anyone with clover was, and i personally wouldn't use any boot option that had Alpha code in it.

10.11? I don't know Joe...I've had the same version of Clover for a long time. When 10.11 was released, I didn't have to wait for anything. It worked OOB, with Clover. All I had to do is download 10.11 and install it. That's all.

I'm not saying this is the case for everyone here. And I do remember people having issues with 10.11 with their setups, but I just didn't. :) 

• Like 1