Pattern of MLB (Main Logic Board)

holyfield

573 posts in this topic

Do you have defined SMUUID, MLB etc?

I have a defined SmUUID that I extracted from my computer while booted into Windows using the method I describe in this post: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/284656-clover-general-discussion/page-316?do=findComment&comment=2092394. The other option I was going to use is going into Terminal and running uuidgen several times.

I've defined the MLB (incorrectly) by using my serial number and adding six digits to the end to get 17. The rest of my SMBIOS is defined fully as a MacPro3,1. This model has only a 11 digit serial.

@holyfield

I've found in this site:

http://www.welovemacs.com/loboformapro.html

this description, hope it can be useful.

Description

Replace your failed MacBook Pro 13" (2.40 GHz) Logic Board with this part.

Q: How can I determine if this is the correct board to order?

A: The best way to determine this is to email us at sales@welovemacs.com with your machine serial number, NOT the serial number of the logic board and sales will email you the correct part to order. You can also check your EEE code on your logic board. To be sure you are ordering the correct replacement part for your computer, make sure the EEE code of your existing logic board corresponds to one of the EEE codes listed below in notes.

EEE Code Note: All Apple logic boards have a special three digit "EEE" code embedded in the logic board serial number which positively identifies the part. Please note that this is the serial number of the logic board, NOT the serial number of the machine. The logic board serial number is on a tag which has the format "xxxxxxxEEEx". The "EEE" code is the three letters immediately preceding the last digit of the serial number.

This is a New, Apple Original Part. This item is in stock and can ship today.

Features

New, Apple Original

System Requirements

N/A

Dimensions

Weight

Product weight: 6lbs.

Shipping weight: 8lbs.

Product Specs

N/A

Includes

Only one Logic Board is included.

Notes

Part Number: 661-5559

EEE Code: DD7H,DD7J

Model Number: A1278

According to the SN and MLB of iMac13,1 models I collected, it seems that the 4th digit in 17 chars MLB does not represent the year of manufacturing.

Apple support page says that iMac13,1 is manufactured in 2012, however, the 4th digit in the MLB is not 2.

@holyfield

I've found in this site:

Hi! Thank you for helping. I already know this site. But isn't very helpful as it doesn't provide proper ID's. I also got today one very promising database which requires some cleanup and preparation to hack some additional data for MLB generation. But this is a good site for education purposes!

According to the SN and MLB of iMac13,1 models I collected, it seems that the 4th digit in 17 chars MLB does not represent the year of manufacturing.

Apple support page says that iMac13,1 is manufactured in 2012, however, the 4th digit in the MLB is not 2.

Thank you for helping :) Btw, cool avatar! I like it!

Please re-read OP about 2 different patterns!! New pattern is harder to decipher :D  It uses a much more complicated production time algorithm. 

Anorher thing. I noticed that on three MLB (2 macmini3,1 and a MacPro 4.1) the first 2 characters are always "J5" and that the 3 successive numbers appear very close to the release date of the device.

Thank you :)

There are plenty of various PP values available. Seems that some PP reoccur for certain time period, later similar models have a new PP.

Please read or re-read the Genesis part of OP ;) 

The most important is to hack the XXXXXXX part of 17char MLB at the moment, as it's needed for newer comp models.

Which boot loader you are using?

Clover, a good serial number, mac address as ROM, I miss just the right MLB. ????

I have a MacPro 3,1 and an iMac 13.2 as system definition . If both are in your database I could act as beta testers.?????

That means u like to say , we need at least one Genuine Apple machine to activate iMessage /Facetime  on hackintosh????

No. I said exact opposite. I need a proper MLB like you need a proper Serial Number. I strongly advocate to not use genuine Mac MLB etc elsewhere. It's like giving copy of your passport to someone else in hope that this doesn't harm anybody. 

Your Serial Number, MLB and ROM should be GLOBALLY UNIQUE and match Apple's pattern. Thats what I'm saying. Those are quite easy to generate.

You did a very nice explanation (I'm trying to translate in French)

I would need an example

I made a smbios Imac 13.2 with a clover with a serial number that is not in the database Apple, and which corespond no macintosh sold by apple
C02L7B76DNMP
I made a SmUUID with uuidgen terminal command
3D089695-0830-4D52-80DB-596D21AABC5A

how I calculated the result with MLB AND ROM?
can you give me the result?

Still confused about creating the MLB. I understand everything in your post but you give no information about what the manufacturing location should be. I understand that it is NOT the same as the manufacturing location of the computer. So what location should we use?

Also, what are the last four digits which is the model of hardware supposed to be? Do you have any information about that? There are only three digits for ID in the serial number.

• Like 1

Dumb question... Previously I think you could use a real Mac's MLB and ROM on any SMBios to get this working. Am I correct in believing this is no longer valid? I have an old Macbook2,1 I'm not using and I was going to use it's MLB and ROM for my Vivobook (MacbookAir5,1 SMBios) to get Facetime working.

Dumb question... Previously I think you could use a real Mac's MLB and ROM on any SMBios to get this working. Am I correct in believing this is no longer valid? I have an old Macbook2,1 I'm not using and I was going to use it's MLB and ROM for my Vivobook (MacbookAir5,1 SMBios) to get Facetime working.

What is that this what you re trying to get working? :w00t:

@jamiethemorris,

You can still use MLB/ROM from a real Mac with working iMessage/FT that is a different SMBIOS to the system serial number you are using on your hack eg I'm using MLB/ROM from my mac mini in my hack with MBP 5,1 SMBIOS and system serial.

The interesting question is will your MacBook 2,1 MLB/ROM work?

iMessage was introduced in beta phase on Lion and only officially released with Mountain Lion.  Since MB 2,1 is compatible with Lion but not Mountain Lion, it may or may not work.  If MLB/ROM comes from a Mac that is officially supported in Mountain Lion, it should work.

Please try and report back - procedure here :).

Edit

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I also have a MBP8,1 I can use the MLB and ROM from... Have you had any trouble with both computers using the same MLB and ROM?

No trouble on both the hacks and the Mac.

IMHO, there is too much FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) being spread about the use of MLB/ROM from Macs on hacks.  Yes, it will be a problem if the MLB/ROM is publically shared so multiple AppleIDs may login to iMessage/FT at the same time (using the same MLB/ROM).  It is definitely NOT a problem if you own the Mac to which the MLB/ROM belongs and only use your own AppleID to login.

I have activated 3 hacks using the MLB/ROM from my Mac Mini and all are running fine through multiple fresh installs/upgrades of Yosemite over 6 months.  Sometimes more than one machine is on at the same time....my MLB/ROM hasn't been publicly shared and I just use my own AppleID/those of family members on them.

Thx, good link! 

FaceTime audio calls require OS X v10.9.2 or later. The full-version of Messages for OS X was released on July 25, 2012 and included with Mountain Lion

If someone has Mountain Lion, it will be interesting to know, does it behave on authentication on the same way like on Yosemite.

I also used MLB  AND ROM  my mac mini 2008 ,4 of my hacks for several months and I have not received warning of apple

I would love to do a single series for each

@ Holyfield can you give us a demonstration of creating a true MLB AND ROM to see all the steps one by one to create?
thank you

Hopefully an easier way is released soon. I've got a 12 character SN (iMac 14,2 Haswell) so I'd need to generate a SmUUID using uuidgen then I'd need to use that information (SN + ROM) to create the 17 character MLB, right? This is so highly confusing and sadly keeping track of all these numbers isn't my strong suit (damn you dyslexia!).

@jamiethemorris,

You can still use MLB/ROM from a real Mac with working iMessage/FT that is a different SMBIOS to the system serial number you are using on your hack eg I'm using MLB/ROM from my mac mini in my hack with MBP 5,1 SMBIOS and system serial.

The interesting question is will your MacBook 2,1 MLB/ROM work?

iMessage was introduced in beta phase on Lion and only officially released with Mountain Lion.  Since MB 2,1 is compatible with Lion but not Mountain Lion, it may or may not work.  If MLB/ROM comes from a Mac that is officially supported in Mountain Lion, it should work.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I also have a MBP8,1 I can use the MLB and ROM from... Have you had any trouble with both computers using the same MLB and ROM?

• Like 1

my staff I have not had any problems at the same time to use the same rom / mlb for several months, I often look at the reports of the console there is made whitelist vrification mention for sessions iMessage so I think apple verified that Rom/mlb comes true mac sold by apple

You did a very nice explanation (I'm trying to translate in French)

I would need an example

I made a smbios Imac 13.2 with a clover with a serial number that is not in the database Apple, and which corespond no macintosh sold by apple
C02L7B76DNMP
I made a SmUUID with uuidgen terminal command
3D089695-0830-4D52-80DB-596D21AABC5A

how I calculated the result with MLB AND ROM?
can you give me the result?

Actually you can't. And I hope you don't use the exact values you have shared with us here! Never share the values you are using!!!

Anyway, the only really working solution for now is to use genuine MLB/ROM, even if I don't recommend to do so. Or at least don't use values found on the internet!

This will last until there is not a pattern found for MLB! And this is what this thread is all about!

There are a lot of myths available about Serial / MLB / ROM, especially in TonyAdolf forum. What I'm trying to do, is to demystify MLB. 

Congrats!

First topic I read from long time with valuable and correct information on this subject, well done!

About ROM/MAC Address a small hint: http://hwaddress.com/?q=Apple

Next step I see on Apple security from how things goes would be ROM validity check.

For the brave ones, earlier on this forum I provided a tool to play with eeprom on Intel LAN's and instructions for how to.

On Apple everything is tight to model/family starting with ROM and ending with subsbystem id...

• Like 6