Pattern of MLB (Main Logic Board)

holyfield

573 posts in this topic

What's the point of creating a valid MLB if it still need a registered matching ROM in Apple database?

Unless pike r assumption regarding the checksum is true :)

The amount of mac address is limited (16,777,216). The quantity of devices that use it is much bigger. From what I read, it is common practice to use the same number multiple times. Given the numbers is considered quite unlikely that two devices with the same MAC address are in the same network. From what I understand you should generate a mac address taking a cue from the link TheKing and then calculate the checksum to be introduced mel MLB.

Actually a MAC address is 6 bytes, which means there are 281,474,976,710,656 possible mac addresses.

This would mean the chance on a duplicate is rather small. MAC's are designed to never be duplicated, much like UUID's.

It does happen that duplicates come into existence, for example a China product which is stamped with the same MAC for every product or with an empty MAC of 00:00:00:00:00:00. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address#Address_details

Apple owns quite a number of prefixes (which are 3 bytes):

http://coffer.com/mac_find/?string=apple

Per prefix that leaves 16,777,215 addresses. Which is a lot of iDevices....

The amount of mac address is limited (16,777,216). The quantity of devices that use it is much bigger. From what I read, it is common practice to use the same number multiple times. Given the numbers is considered quite unlikely that two devices with the same MAC address are in the same network. From what I understand you should generate a mac address taking a cue from the link TheKing and then calculate the checksum to be introduced mel MLB.

You may be thinking of the number of IPv4 addresses, which is actually 4,294,967,296 (32-bit), which is quite different from available MAC addresses.  MAC addresses are 48-bit, which, as darkvoid mentioned, is 281,474,976,710,656 addresses.  We're not quite near running out of MAC addresses.  I'm not sure where you actually got the 16 million number.

I apologize, but my calculations are totally wrong. Thinking about the hex I did 16 raised to the sixth, instead of 256

You may be thinking of the number of IPv4 addresses, which is actually 4,294,967,296 (32-bit), which is quite different from available MAC addresses.  MAC addresses are 48-bit, which, as darkvoid mentioned, is 281,474,976,710,656 addresses.  We're not quite near running out of MAC addresses.  I'm not sure where you actually got the 16 million number.

Actually a MAC address is 6 bytes, which means there are 281,474,976,710,656 possible mac addresses.

This would mean the chance on a duplicate is rather small. MAC's are designed to never be duplicated, much like UUID's.

It does happen that duplicates come into existence, for example a China product which is stamped with the same MAC for every product or with an empty MAC of 00:00:00:00:00:00. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address#Address_details

Apple owns quite a number of prefixes (which are 3 bytes):

http://coffer.com/mac_find/?string=apple

Per prefix that leaves 16,777,215 addresses. Which is a lot of iDevices....

Hi guys,

I've been using a ROM/MLB combination that I borrowed from my Macbook Air. So far, it's been working just fine. However, in the future I would want for this hack to have its own IDs, and so:

1. I have an old CD Macbook (backup of a backup of a backup computer) in a closet that I never use anymore - can I use its ethernet (or even firewire) MAC address as my hack's ROM?

2. Next, I'm trying to figure out the MLB. My hack's SMBIOS is iMac13,2, and my serial begins with C02. On Macpartsonline, the closest logic board to my SMBIOS that I found says:

Logic Board:  661-7160 (Model A1419, Quad-Core i7, 3.4GHz, 2GB DDR)
SKU: 661-7160
EEE Code: F0V5,F64W

But then I saw Pike had posted this:

C0 2 2 50 602 ZC F651 AX = iMac13,2

Where the EEE code and board type are different than the ones I found on Macpartsonline. I don't understand why the Macpartsonline lists two EEE numbers for the board.

Can I use any combination of EEE code and board type values as long as they match the SMBIOS?

J1mmyS,

You can boot your old backup MacBook and obtain the ROM and MLB using the following:

nvram 4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14:ROM
nvram 4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14:MLB

The ROM you will need to convert to hexadecimal. Each %XX is already hex, other characters need to be converted from their ASCII character to hexadecimal value.

You can validate your conversion by checking the firewire mac address.

For example firewire address AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF:GG:HH --> rom AABBCCFFGGHH

I have two ioreg dumps from a MacPro3,1. Can I find the MLB, ROM, manufacturing codes, etc from the dump and how? I found the serial number pretty easily by opening the file with IORegistry Explorer.

The EEE code is XDA (from what I've found) but that is only three digits long. How do I work that into: MLB=PPP Y WW TTT CC EEEE xx

I assume the PPP part is G82? Since most of the real serials I've seen start with G8.

Anyone have the board type (TTT) for this model?

I have two ioreg dumps from a MacPro3,1. Can I find the MLB, ROM, manufacturing codes, etc from the dump and how? I found the serial number pretty easily by opening the file with IORegistry Explorer.

The EEE code is XDA (from what I've found) but that is only three digits long. How do I work that into: MLB=PPP Y WW TTT CC EEEE xx

I assume the PPP part is G82? Since most of the real serials I've seen start with G8.

If you're pulling from a MacPro 3,1, you have a 13 character MLB, not a 17.  The 13 only uses 3 characters for the EEE code, whereas later models use 17 characters, and 4 digit EEE codes.  Refer to the first post of the thread for this.

So, if you're trying to make a MacPro 3,1 image, you're fine, just use the 13 character MLB model.  If you are trying to make something newer, then you need to start over with a 17 character model.  It all depends what you are trying to make your hack into (emulate), based upon your chipset.

If you're pulling from a MacPro 3,1, you have a 13 character MLB, not a 17.  The 13 only uses 3 characters for the EEE code, whereas later models use 17 characters, and 4 digit EEE codes.  Refer to the first post of the thread for this.

So, if you're trying to make a MacPro 3,1 image, you're fine, just use the 13 character MLB model.  If you are trying to make something newer, then you need to start over with a 17 character model.  It all depends what you are trying to make your hack into (emulate), based upon your chipset.

J1mmyS,

You can boot your old backup MacBook and obtain the ROM and MLB using the following:

nvram 4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14:ROM
nvram 4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14:MLB

The ROM you will need to convert to hexadecimal. Each %XX is already hex, other characters need to be converted from their ASCII character to hexadecimal value.

You can validate your conversion by checking the firewire mac address.

For example firewire address AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF:GG:HH --> rom AABBCCFFGGHH

Thank you for your help, but these values do not seem to exist on the Macbook. Maybe that is because it's still running Snow Leopard and I never used FaceTime or iMessage on it.

Anyway I just wanted to know if I could use the Macbook's ethernet MAC address as my new ROM value, and as the checksum part of the MLB value which needs to be created in this case.

Hi guys,

Logic Board:  661-7160 (Model A1419, Quad-Core i7, 3.4GHz, 2GB DDR)
SKU: 661-7160
EEE Code: F0V5,F64W

But then I saw Pike had posted this:

C0 2 2 50 602 ZC F651 AX = iMac13,2

Where the EEE code and board type are different than the ones I found on Macpartsonline. I don't understand why the Macpartsonline lists two EEE numbers for the board.

Can I use any combination of EEE code and board type values as long as they match the SMBIOS?

My example is taken from a i5 Your is a i7 ;)

People are using ROM/MLB combinations from genuine Mac's with different kind of SMBIOS settings, and thus that doesn't seem to matter. Not yet that is.

My example is taken from a i5 Your is a i7 ;)

People are using ROM/MLB combinations from genuine Mac's with different kind of SMBIOS settings, and thus that doesn't seem to matter. Not yet that is.

Ah, yes, I see - i5 vs i7 - thanks for pointing that out :)

That is exactly what I'm doing, using the values from my genuine Macbook Air on my hack with different SMBIOS.

And as you said, it doesn't matter yet. I would just like to keep my beautiful hack out of harm's way as much as possible if and when the fruit company decides to double down on security.

Unfortunately for me it is not so easy. I've a couple of data of real Macs so if you can explain a newbie how to perfom this checksum.

Thanks for the values, but this one  I've already and I needed another for comparison.

I believe the right checksum style is an 8-bit checksum (two characters). If that's the case, and this website performs the conversion properly, http://www.planetimming.com/checksum8.html, then it's not a match. I've tried two iMac ROMs, the ones noted before, and neither match in the MLB.

From the example of imac15,1 quoted earlier i understood this way (from the darwin dump)

MLB is just 1 week prior to Serial number.

I am using iMac 14,2 system definition, with week of manufacture corresponding to LX.

Both Magic wand and chameleon wizard show 43rd week corresponding to LX. But Klantenservice shows my serial number to be 52nd week.

But according to pike, LW correspond to 52 and there is no X in late 2013. But i am sure that LX is valid as i were able to generate some genuine registered serial numbers with LX using chameleon wizard.

Kindly clarify...

MLB i would like to use: C02 3 51 602 xx FN7H xx

I will wait till xx and ROM are sorted out.

You probably did everything right, but if the MLB and ROM have never been registered with Apple servers before it will more than likely make you call Apple support

well, 1 month ago i was called to Apple with my same S/N and ROM value with a different MLB after that they registered my iMessage, after successfully running from previous 1 month i got log out message and now i am trying to re-active my iMessage with a different good MLB. can i use my old ROM and S/N value with new created MLB? will apple can catch it?

BTW, i am a clover user and i made my S/N from clover configurator and my ROM value is my MAC address and as per your guide i made a MLB to use my iMessage

regards

macpac

From the example of imac15,1 quoted earlier i understood this way (from the darwin dump)

I am using iMac 14,2 system definition, with week of manufacture corresponding to LX.

Both Magic wand and chameleon wizard show 43rd week corresponding to LX. But Klantenservice shows my serial number to be 52nd week.

But according to pike, LW correspond to 52 and there is no X in late 2013. But i am sure that LX is valid as i were able to generate some genuine registered serial numbers with LX using chameleon wizard.

Kindly clarify...

Ok. Let's assume that chipmunk.nl is right, then we should use this table: 

Production week: 1 - 26
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 C D F G H J K L M N P Q R T V W X

Production week: 27 - 52

Makes sense.

Makes sense.

doubtfully. 

MacPro6,1 : 

Serial Number: F5K L T 0F0 F9VM      L= 2013  2 half-year  T= 49 week

MLB: F5K 3 45 500 Z3 FNN1 1K    45= 45 week

Edited by tyufhl

thanks, that is what I thought would be the answer.

Anyone about how to pull this data from ioreg file dump and board code for MacPro3,1?

MacBookPro8,1

A1278 (EMC 2555*) 

Core i5" 2.4 13" Late 2011 would be great :)

Tetonne, with a real MacBookPro8,1 

MLB  : C021482021BDTMYAJ

ROM : a4b197c56370

thanks, that is what I thought would be the answer.

Anyone about how to pull this data from ioreg file dump and board code for MacPro3,1?

I did not succeed. I did not find value in  SMBIOS.  :(

• Like 1

doubtfully. 

MacPro6,1 : 

Serial Number: F5K L T 0F0 F9VM      L= 2013  2 half-year  T= 49 week

MLB: F5K 3 45 500 Z3 FNN1 1K    45= 45 week

It makes perfect sense, to me, because then we have two equal tables. One for the first 26 weeks and one for the last 26 weeks. 

Let's not forget that the late 2013 Mac Pro is a very complex piece of hardware and it took Apple a couple of weeks to produce all parts for it. Look here:

F5K 3 47 400 2X FNN2 1A = CPU (Riser card)

F5K 3 48 200 01 FD6P 1D = IO
F5K 3 48 200 3Q FNNC 13 = GFXA
F5K 3 47 200 J5 FNNJ 18 = GFXB

In other words. The production of this Mac Pro started in week 45 and was completed sometime in week 49. 
  • Like 2

Well, it's close.  I'm looking for a 661-5950 LB, 3.4 GHz Quad core i7 27 inch iMac Mid 2011 - A1312, EEE code DJWP, DM6C

Wikipedia does a nice job of breaking down the models, and MacpartsOnline gives you good EEE codes

Thanks! 

tamorgen

did you find your board type?

Beacuse i'm trying to make my own MLB and it is the same system that you have.Thanks

Kindly clarify...

Makes sense.

@kkarun88 

I'm using iMac14,2 too and my serial: C02LXxxxxxxx have LX same is you.

Here is output from chipmunk:

Model introduced: 2013

Serial number: C02LXxxxxxxx

Number of lookups done last 30 days: 0

You will be limited to 10 lookups per 30 days. 

Nice Name: iMac 27 inch (Late 2013)

Machine Model: iMac14,2

Family name: A1419

Group1: iMac

Group2: Intel

Generation: 

CPU speed: 3.4GHz/3.5GHz

Screen size: 27 inch

Screen resolution: 2560x1440 pixels

Colour: Aluminium

Production year: 2013 

Production week: 52 (December) 

Model introduced: 2013

Memory - flavour: DDR3-S-1600

Memory - number of slots: 4

Memory - maximum total: 32GB

Memory - largest module: 8GB

Factory: C0 (Quanta Computer (Susidiary = Tech Com) China)

So my MLB = C02 3 52 602 xx FN7H xx

But why you use 51 in your MLB?

Thank you for your help, but these values do not seem to exist on the Macbook. Maybe that is because it's still running Snow Leopard and I never used FaceTime or iMessage on it.

Anyway I just wanted to know if I could use the Macbook's ethernet MAC address as my new ROM value, and as the checksum part of the MLB value which needs to be created in this case.

I did it on a MacBook mid-2007 running Lion. It worked on that.

@meteorite

From two examples (imac15,1 & Macbook Air 6,2) quoted earlier, MLB is one week earlier than Serial number. Thats why i plan to use 51 for MLB against my LX serial number (52nd week). But still ROM and xx values need to be sorted out. Only after that we will know whether the current serial number can be used or new serial number need to be generated from MLB.