Pattern of MLB (Main Logic Board)

holyfield

573 posts in this topic

Your example is: 28:0a:5c:b1:b1:28

The trick is quite simple. If it starts with a % them it represents a hex value which you should use. Anything else should first be converted from ASCII (use hex value).

Where did the 28 and the 5c come from?

It´s pretty easy. All "%" prefixed values are hex so let´s break up the example in hex and non hex digits. Given the ROM value equals (%0a\%b1%b1( we can break it up in hex and string characters...

( <-- Non Hex first Character converted from string to hex equals 28

0a <-- Already  Hex, no conversion needed

\ <-- Next non Hex Character converted from string to hex equals 5c

b1 <-- Already Hex, no conversion needed

b1 <-- Already Hex, no conversion needed

( <-- Next non Hex Character converted from string to hex equals 28

once everything is decoded we can stick it back together and get 28:0a:5c:b1:b1:28

Does someone know how a Device is "registered" as an activated Device for iTunes?

Everyone knows that you can activate (5?) separate Devices for your iTunes Account (which could also be your AppleID).

How does Apple recognize the Devices - and what is if I'm changing IDs like SmUUID, MLB, ROM?

Do I have to activate a "new" Device after changing this info?

Well, it happened again. My iMessage stopped working yesterday. I had been using my parents MLB/ROM from their MacMini. Worked perfectly for a few weeks now I can sign in, but contacts show up in red. they don;t use iMessage but I'm sure it logs them in when hey start their MacMini.

Ugh. I really thought this would work in thelong run since they were numbers from a known Mac that didn't use Messages or Facetime.

I wonder if i have to call Apple. I called last year with made up numbers and that worked until I made the switch from Chameleon to Clover.

Well, it happened again. My iMessage stopped working yesterday. I had been using my parents MLB/ROM from their MacMini. Worked perfectly for a few weeks now I can sign in, but contacts show up in red. they don;t use iMessage but I'm sure it logs them in when hey start their MacMini.

Ugh. I really thought this would work in thelong run since they were numbers from a known Mac that didn't use Messages or Facetime.

I wonder if i have to call Apple. I called last year with made up numbers and that worked until I made the switch from Chameleon to Clover.

Did you also clone Serial, SMUUID and UUID? or just MLB & ROM?

I have dead MacPro 3,1 and got MLB from the board and serial number which is registered to my Apple ID as well as ethernet address but since the MacPro is dead, I can't get ROM.  But reading this thread, I should be able to log in to iMessage using valid MLB and ROM (using ethernet address)? 

+++++++++++++++++ Update++++++++++++++++

Tried it but didn't work. Gave me contact Apple Support with error code. 

@pac-man: Apple stores the Ethernet en0-MAC-adress and the Hardware UUID for iTunes-store. It is better to log out, if you are changing anything in that Numbers. And log in afterwards.

Well, I think it is not this combination to identify a registered device. I have nearly all changed to get iMessage and FaceTime working again. I have changed the Serial, Board-Id, SmUUID, MLB and ROM which also gave me a new Hardware UUID. I don't have logged out and re-logged in after changing this values and iTunes is working as before - including iTunes Match!

PS: All my new values are clones from a genuine iMac which was not using FaceTime or iMessage before.

I have dead MacPro 3,1 and got MLB from the board and serial number which is registered to my Apple ID as well as ethernet address but since the MacPro is dead, I can't get ROM.  But reading this thread, I should be able to log in to iMessage using valid MLB and ROM (using ethernet address)? 

+++++++++++++++++ Update++++++++++++++++

Tried it but didn't work. Gave me contact Apple Support with error code. 

@todesto,

Correct ... you only need a valid MLB and all other system ID's can be locally generated however .....  since this is a new MLB / ROM combination that has never been activated against iMessage you will need to contact Apple support and give them Customer Code displayed in the iMessage alert box so it can be white-listed, since your MLB is valid it should pass the new improved validation checks (AFAIK ROM can still be ethernet MAC address) ... give them your MacPro's S/N if asked for one - you should be fine.

Cheers

Jay

• Like 3

The three day wait mostly works.

activated my iMessage with my MacBookPros Rom&MLB. Since yesterday my MacBookPro shows those red contact names like someone posted earlier. 

I hope after 3,4 days it will work again. Login into iMessage works. Reinstalled Yosemite earlier today and still the same problem.

On my build it still works.. kinda stupid.

Have a great weekend.

Hi everybody,

I've read the whole thread from the beginning, and this is what I understand (hopefully correctly :) ) :

The pattern of the MLB is this:

PP G Y WW TTT XX EEEE XX

Where:

PP : Production Plant

G: Generation, usually has the value 2

Y: Year of manufacturing

WW: Week of manufacturing

TTT: Board type

XX: Currently unknown?

EEEE: The EEE ID of the board

I have seen various values for the known blocks posted in the thread, I noted them down.

Of course (as many others) I am only missing the XX values.

I have luckily access to both a working (actually I will have access to it next week), and a defective 2011 iMac 21,5.

My question is, could I use the exact MLB of the defective iMac (as it won't log on to Apple's servers ever again) and generate a ROM using the working iMac's prefix? (AA:AA:AA:BB:BB:BB where AAs come from the working iMac's ROM and BBs are  random HEX).

I'm not sure, because I read that some of you guys tried to swap two genuine Apple product's MLBs and ROMs (using the MLB of one device, and using the ROM of the other) and it didn't work out if I remember correctly...

Also, do I have to put the TTT (Board type) value here in the Clover config?:

Screen_Shot_2015_01_31_at_11_30_42.png

Thank you!

Hi everybody ..... The pattern of the MLB is this:

PP G Y WW TTT XX EEEE XX

Where:

PP : Production Plant

G: Generation, usually has the value 2

Y: Year of manufacturing

WW: Week of manufacturing

TTT: Board type

EEEE: The EEE ID of the board

My question is, could I use the exact MLB of the defective iMac (as it won't log on to Apple's servers ever again) and generate a ROM using the working iMac's prefix? (AA:AA:AA:BB:BB:BB where AAs come from the working iMac's ROM and BBs are  random HEX).

Also, do I have to put the TTT (Board type) value here in the Clover config?:

@pmjohann,

You breakdown of a 17 digit MLB is correct .... as far as we know ..

With regards to your question ... not many people have a 17 digit value from a non-functional MAC, most seem to be older models that have 13 digit MLB's in these cases it is only necessary to use the 13 digit MLB Value.

Use Clover Configurator - on the SMBIOS page use the magic wand to select the SMBIOS you want to use and click a few times on the two 'shake' buttons to generate a S/N - Check the S/N is valid and unique using the self-solve website (if  unsure see Part-1, Step 3 of my guide),  add your MLB value on the RTVariables page, do not use the generator ... finally add a ROM value in most cases a NIC MAC address still works for 13 Digit MLB, not sure about 17 digit MLB ... try it.

You should get a customer code the first time you use iMessage on your hack, call Apple to white-list the values, give them one of the genuine Mac's S/N if asked for one, (see step-8 of linked guide)

Good Luck, let us know how you get on

Cheers

Jay

• Like 1

Hi Allan and fusion71au:

Thank you for your efforts!!

Assuming this is the way to go to obtain valid MLB values for  11 chrs serials as noted by holyfield http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/303073-pattern-of-mlb-main-logic-board/

To clarify production numbers, It could be a 3 step process for 11 char serial numbers e.g.

1. Identify digits 6-8 of your serial number : In the following pattern : PP Y WW 2B0 xxx. Which in this case is 2B0.

2. Convert 2B0 (base 34) to decimal using http://www.translatorscafe.com/cafe/units-converter/numbers/calculator/base-34-to-decimal/  yielding a dec value of 2686 (which is the production number). It also corresponds with the production number found here http://www.powerbookmedic.com/identify-mac-serial.php. I experimented with 6 serial numbers. I have found that in 2 instances the production number is out by 1.  e.g. Base 34 convert 2AN gives 2675 while the site report the production number as 2674.

3. Finally, as per your description decimal convert the production number obtained in step 2 (2686) to base-36 using http://www.translatorscafe.com/cafe/units-converter/numbers/calculator/decimal-to-base-36/. This result in 022M. This value then form part of the pattern for MLB : G8814xxxxXDAx

Therefore part of the the serial number matches part of the values for the MLB......

Of course step 2&3 could be converted into a single step : http://www.translatorscafe.com/cafe/units-converter/numbers/calculator/base-34-to-base-36/

Hence there is 2 ways to determine the production number.

1. You can look it up via sites or possibly

2. Convert part of the serial number to obtain the production number.

Perhaps someone else already explained this in the posts or it was inferred. In that case forgive me for having to repeat the story line here.

Hi All-

I've been reading and re-reading this thread for weeks and this post interested me, though I didn't see any response to it. Those of you who have successfully generated 13-digit MLBs that got whitelisted, have you used this method to create a connection between the Production Number in the MLB and Production Number in the Serial #? I'm only referring to generated, not cloned, MLBs and serials. Is this correlation between MLB and Serial # necessary?

I am preparing to generate MLB, ROM and Serial for a MacPro 3,1 system definition and I'm wondering if I should use this technique for the Production Number or if it's unnecessary, and I can just use random (but logical) numbers.

Thanks-

@pmjohann,

With regards to your question ... not many people have a 17 digit value from a non-functional MAC, most seem to be older models that have 13 digit MLB's in these cases it is only necessary to use the 13 digit MLB Value.

Use Clover Configurator - on the SMBIOS page use the magic wand to select the SMBIOS you want to use and click a few times on the two 'shake' buttons to generate a S/N - Check the S/N is valid and unique using the self-solve website (if  unsure see Part-1, Step 3 of my guide),  add your MLB value on the RTVariables page, do not use the generator ... finally add a ROM value in most cases a NIC MAC address still works for 13 Digit MLB, not sure about 17 digit MLB ... try it.

You should get a customer code the first time you use iMessage on your hack, call Apple to white-list the values, give them one of the genuine Mac's S/N if asked for one, (see step-8 of linked guide)

Cheers

Jay

@jaymonkey - I don't mean to butt in :) but .... I was wondering if you could confirm something. When I go to set MLB (13 chars) and ROM (11 chars) in Rt Variable and click calculate I see:

Screen%20Shot%202015-01-31%20at%2018.12.

- the last line (MLB) is not filled.

- the ROM value is not set to the value I gave in the top box.

By the way thats a nice guide on the other site...

• Like 1

@pmjohann,

Cheers

Jay

Hi Jay,

Thank you, I already read your guide, actually that's how I got here :)

I already configured the SMBIOS in Clover as per your guide, I was just interested whether the Board Type parameter of the Clover Configurator should or should not match the TTT in the MLB. (Currently the Board Type is set to the value 10 by default in Clover).

I'll definitely report back how things went with the MLB of the broken iMac and the semi-randomized ROM of the working one.

Regards,

Mark