Yosemite: Audio - Realtek ALC AppleHDA

toleda

793 posts in this topic

why do you have special hdmi layout for alc887? it has special nid 21 in both pinconfig and pathmaps

No special HDMI audio layouts for 887 or any other codec.  Native AppleHDA.kext supports HDMI audio.  The 887 pathmap and pinconfigs are specific to OS X onboard 887 audio.

I had to make a change in your v100 script to get it to complete without errors. It would abort when installing the zml files.

Thanks for the suggestion.  The cause is actually crappy code: 

sudo rm -R $gHDAContentsDirectory/Resources/*.zlib

Will add a check for *.zlib before the trying to remove files that are not present in the native AppleHDA.  The command is useful when the script is run over an existing install as it removes the existing files before new files are installed.

ALC883 sound sleet ????

See Post #1, not supported with this thread.

I followed the instructions below:

Realtek ALC AppleHDA Audio Patch Methods - select one (requires native S/L/E/AppleHDA.kext)
1. realtekALC/patch in place: script detects the codec and patches the native AppleHDA.kext for ALC onboard audio. Run the same script to restore audio after Software Update.

•  
  • realtekALC/patch in place
    •  
    • Bootloaders: Chameleon, Clover
    • Software Update: run same script after update restart
    • More Info: toleda/audio_RealtekALC
    • Installation - realtekALC
      •  
      • Download: (View Raw) audio_realtekALC-100.command.zip
      • Double click: Downloads/audio_realtekALC-100.command
      • Password?
      • Confirm Realtek ALC (y/n): (885, 887, 888, 889, 892, 898, 1150 only)
      • Legacy_v100202 (y/n): (887, 888 only)
      • Enable HD4600 HDMI audio (y/n): (887, 892, 898, 1150 only)
      • Verify Patched AppleHDA kext installed
        •  
        • S/L/E/AppleHDA.kext_vx.x-toledaALCxxx
  • Restart
  • Verify ALC onboard audio
    •  
    • System Preferences/Sound/Output/select audio device

This following method enabled ALC898 audio on 10.10.0 (after applying "audio_realtekALC-100_v1.0.1.command"). I am using the Chameleon bootloader. After updating to 10.10.1 and trying out this method again, my system fails to boot, leading to a "System uptime in nanoseconds…" kernel panic in verbose mode. However, after removing the patched AppleHDA kext from my S/L/E directory was I able to boot again. I'm trying to get onboard audio to work with this method, can someone help. The specs of my system is the Z87 rig in my sig. Thanks

Hi toleda,

Hey!! I have sound. Unlike hollywood superhero, You're a real live superhero (Toleda the cyber superhero). 

Do you know why the sound is breaking up?

Thank you very  much

Hi toleda,

I figured out why the sound was breaking up. The sound was breaking-up because the toslink digital optical cable was not plugin properly. All is well now.

Much thanks

After updating to 10.10.1 and trying out this method again, my system fails to boot, leading to a "System uptime in nanoseconds…" kernel panic in verbose mode.

Without more information regarding the KP, it is not possible to blame AppleHDA.kext.  If the kext has a problem, it does not load; result, no audio.  Removing the kext causes a kernel cache rebuild which may have been the original issue.  Suggest installing the native 10.10.1 AppleHDA.kext and restarting.  If no panic, run the script and restart.  If KP, note what caused the panic.

still no success.

Missed this note in the Terminal Output and Post #1, Note 5:

NOTE: ALC1150 only, make edit before restarting
config.plist/KernelAndKextPatches/KextsToPatch/ALC1150/Replace edit required
Before: <09ec10>   After: <0009ec10> or
Before: CewQ   After: AAnsEA==
  • Like 1

Without more information regarding the KP, it is not possible to blame AppleHDA.kext.  If the kext has a problem, it does not load; result, no audio.  Removing the kext causes a kernel cache rebuild which may have been the original issue.  Suggest installing the native 10.10.1 AppleHDA.kext and restarting.  If no panic, run the script and restart.  If KP, note what caused the panic.

Before: <09ec10>   After: <0009ec10> did the trick, thanks again!

Now I am able to boot without -f thanks to Chameleon CBv2

booted with kext-dev-mode=1 but still not able to get the audio devices. :mad: :mad: :mad:

I am not able to get codec in DPCI Manager either .

I am not able to get codec in DPCI Manager either too. How about the end for you ? Are you runing the AppleHDA.kext ? Please tell me the way .

Hello Toleda. Like I explained earlier, after patching AppleHDA on 10.10.1 using your method, my system fails to boot, presenting a "System uptime in nanoseconds…" kernel panic in verbose mode. Removing the patched AppleHDA kext from S/L/E directory enables my system to boot. Please take to the time to address the issue I am having with the AppleHDA patch by going over the screenshots I presented below and deciphering what the displayed errors mean on them. Thanks

15898882301_4e6127a07d_b_d.jpg

15713567080_e42b7ca1aa_h_d.jpg

Thanks toleda!

3. cloverALC/Clover patched

I used the above method to enable Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7-TH board’s audio (1150). Everything worked easily and smoothly. The only problem I have is that the front headphone jack is mono. I still need to verify that the audio jack isn’t the culprit.

I am not able to get codec in DPCI Manager either too.

Post #1, Problem Reporting.

Please take to the time to address the issue I am having with the AppleHDA patch by going over the screenshots I presented below and deciphering what the displayed errors mean on them.

No errors from script. KP is deadbeef error, not related to audio.

No errors from script. KP is deadbeef error, not related to audio.

What do you mean by deadbeef?... What's with the "invalid signatures" readout in your script? Not to insult your intelligence but  I keep telling you each time I use the patched AppleHDA the kernel panic occurs. Once it is removed, I am able to boot back into Yosemite. The patched AppleHDA is causing this issue, and I am positive it's the culprit.

I am positive it's the culprit.

Patching AppleHDA.kext breaks signing.  kext-dev-mode=1 allows unsigned kexts to load.  For the second time, there are no errors reported from the script.  In your boot log screenshot, look closely at the the line that starts"panic(cpu 0..., fix that problem.

No problem with 10.10.1 patched AppleHDAs in my testing nor has any other problem similar to your panic been reported. If you think the script is the problem, try Pike's solution in Post #1.

HDEF is working.  One more step.

From the script/Terminal output:

Before: <09ec10>, After: <0009ec10> or 
Before: CewQ, After: AAnsEA==

For the first edit, use Clover Configurator, Xcode, Property List Editor, etc.
If those tools are not available, use TextEdit with the second edit only.

Search for a Clover Install guide with the same generation hardware as your system. 

I have an ALC1150 and don't have audio with CloverALC installed. At first I missed this output, but I also find it difficult to understand. Can you provide a more detailed explanation? 

Here is a screen shot of Clover Configurator after running the script. I added the line for ALC1150 but I'm not sure it is correct.

J6FY9yd.jpg

Thank you for any help.

Guys, I need your help with something.

I got a Logitech C615 Webcam which has a built-in microphone. I set FaceTime to use the Webcam's microphone when making/receiving calls through my iPhone, and...I don't know, it doesn't look like it's using it. The persons I'm trying to call hear a very annoying buzzing/static noise and no sound from me. Do I need to set something up?

I read somewhere that if I set the input in Audio MIDI Setup to 32 KHz or 48KHz the problem will be fixed. Well, it wasn't.

In System Preferences, if I select the webcam for input, I can see the bars filling in, meaning that the camera actually picks up the ambient sound.

But what the hell is that buzzing and why can't I use the camera's microphone for FaceTime voice calls?

Off topic.

I thought it might have something to do with AppleHDA and the patch we're using, which would have made this issue more...on topic. :P But turns out it's not, since Skype calls work ok with that microphone. So it's something specific to Facetime.

So yeah, you're right. It is off topic, and I'm sorry about it.

EDIT:

I figured this out. I just had to:

1) mount the EFI partition

2) delete the EFI folder that was there

3) copy the EFI folder from my USB flash drive to the mounted EFI partition

4) run the script

5) copy the newly edited config.plist and realtekALC.kext to the appropriate place on my USB flash drive

6) ran kext utility for good measure

7) restart and all was fine!

----------

I'm sorry if this has been answered before. i tried looking through posts.

I boot my system via a USB flash drive and the install methods described in the first post don't work as they looks for a mounted EFI drive.

How can I install to a USB flash drive boot stick? Are there manual methods that I can use?

Worked brilliantly when I was booting via Chameleon but I've made the move to Clover.

FYI, I've checked and my codec and it is 0x10EC0885 with a layout ID of 1.

Thank you!

I boot my system via a USB flash drive and the install methods described in the first post don't work as they looks for a mounted EFI drive.

Recommendation: install Clover to hard drive before attempting audio.

Backup the USB/EFI folder to the Desktop

Run Clover Installer to your Yosemite install. 

Copy Backup/EFI/config.plist, kexts/10.10/ and ACPI/patched/ to mounted EFI folder.

Restart/Clover UI/select Yosemite install/

Script does not work if you have installed clover in root partition.(Legacy)

True, it looks for the EFI partition.  Until fixed, suggest Clover install in EFI partition, run script and copy edited config.plist and kexts/10.10/realtekALC.kext to root/EFI folder.