Different solutions

Andy Vandijck

925 posts in this topic

Sorry for resurrecting the topic, but I've noticed this issue on both my desktop and my laptop with OS X 10.8.5. I was able to compile the source as a 64bit-only binary, using SDK 10.8, targeting OS X 10.6 and when I installed it, after the first reboot, my drive was recognized as Mat{censored}a DVD-R UJ-846 in System Information / DIsc burning, but the random spinning remains and usually it starts several minutes after my display has gone to sleep and stops, when I wake it up. Is there anything that can be done about it?

Edit 14.10.2013: It seems the 10.8.5 supplemental update solved the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Added MacBookPro8,1 extracted modules + rom + info.

Tomorrow I'll also do the MacBookPro8,2 rom I have...

Enjoy :D

• Like 3

...hey Andy, just reporting still using your kext with mavericks...and still not using d s m os.kext...nice fast boot... :smoke:

Cool so it's SL to Mavericks compliant.

Nice :D

So it's compliant with 4 versions, 10.6.X -10.9(.X)

• Like 1

Still don't understand, is this a replacement for fakesmc?

It can be used that way on a sandy bridge model but no SMC device means some things won't work.

It is better as a complement to FakeSMC to speed up booting.

OK, thank you.

Does it work from /extra or from kext folder in clover?

Untested as I use it in /S/L/E.

Also Dont steal Mac OS X.kext must be removed in order for this to work.

same way as over there http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/290130-fixedid-v19-application-to-generate-overrides-automatically-for-apple-displays/?p=1929981  just add the line to the Info.plist  of AppleKextExcludeList.kext  save it reinstall/reboot  done .

afaik it only appears when u touch the S/L/E Folder .

:)

• Like 1

same way as over there http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/290130-fixedid-v19-application-to-generate-overrides-automatically-for-apple-displays/?p=1929981  just add the line to the Info.plist  of AppleKextExcludeList.kext  

save it reinstall/reboot  done .

afaik it only appears when u touch the S/L/E Folder .

:)

Tks appreciated. It worked...

Hi Andy,

Confirm your AppleDecrypt.kext des work with 10.9 GM.

Is there any way to get rid of this annoying error.

attachicon.gifAnV.tiff

Do you have to recompile with XCode 5.0.1, or just use Mountain Lion version included?

EDIT: I used included ML kext, and compiled kext from XCode 5.0.1 in Mavericks GM, and both can help me boot to desktop without FakeSMC and DSMOS kexts. However, the boot time is terrible:

DSMOS + FakeSMC: 25s (to login screen)

AppleDecrypt + FakeSMC: 50s

AppleDecrypt alone: > 1min

When I use AppleDecrypt and delete DSMOS, the system log "DSMOS has arrived" appears very quickly, but the order of components loading is messed up, so the total boot time is longer. I included 2 system logs for DSMOS and AppleDecrypt.

Still don't understand, is this a replacement for fakesmc?

AppleDecrypt is from another era before FakeSMC was created. Back in 2008, you had two choices, AppleDecrypt or DSMOS.kext

FakeSMC is the successor to DSMOS.kext. DSMOS and AppleDecrypt are highly inferior because of the lack of SMC emulation

Give me the patched EDID for that monitor please.

I'll check it this evening.

EDIT: Oh... you uploaded it.

It was a very bad EDID.

It had 3 times monitor name string (3x 00 00 00 FC entry).

It had no monitor range limits inside.

I corrected it to conform to EDID 1.4 totally.

Try it and let me know.

looks like it does not work on 10.9? doest it work for you?

also will it work if we add new EDID data with Clover? with <key>CustomEDID</key>

I did try but get KP with 10.9....

Andy,

Do you know how to solve black border (underscan) problem with HDMI under bios and bootloader?

Maybe modifying EDID would work?

It might but then the boot loader (e.g. Clover) has to use that custom EDID to draw the picture.

And of course the custom resolution inside...

This needs investigating :)

• Like 1

does it work for anyone on 10.9?

It does for me.

This is the reason I created it.

Mavericks uses 1024x768 max by default on my TV connected to VGA plug.

With injection of custom EDID: perfect picture

Custom resolution of 1280x960 in my case

• Like 1

Andy, do you think this can help me with a problem I have with a MacBook Pro Retina display (2880 x 1800) ?

I have this adapter: http://dp2mbpr.rozsnyo.com so that I can attach a MBP retina display to my H87 Zotac board via display port. The display works fine under Ubuntu, but with ML and Mav I get first a deadbeef error non-recoverable gui.c line 505 (I think) and if I try hotplugging once I reach the desktop the display stays dead. I can get it to work via GTX 660, but would ultimately like it to work under integrated graphics so I can use the 660 on another system. I also tried setting various graphics modes in the boot plist and selecting different framebuffers in the Azul kext but so far  nada.

Sorry for all the information here, but wondering if there is an EDID I could set to get the display to boot......or if you think that this would be a dead end for my issue.

Thanks for reading!