Realtek 8168/8111 solution

DaemonES

872 posts in this topic

Hello.

I have some problem. I installed Realtekr1000 driver.

Bonjour works fine with MacBook Air if i turn on IPv6 on Hackintosh and on MacBook.

In Bonjour Browser i chek that bonjour recognize devices only via IPv6. After Bonjour see IPv6 of devices it get IPv4 adress. And all OK. BUT.

Some devices don't have IPv6. Such as iPhone. Bonjour on it use only IPv4. And on Mac Bonjour browser immediately recognize iPhone via only IPv4.

But on hackintosh with this driver Bonjour works only via IPv6.

Need help.....

Oh.. i have RTL8111B

Hi,

On Realtek.com.tw you will find:

Supported NICs are:

RTL8111B/RTL8168B/RTL8111/RTL8168

RTL8111C/RTL8111CP/RTL8111D(L)

RTL8168C

I hope the link works:

Driver @ Realtek

Kind regards

Answering my own question... It turns out on 10.5.6 anyway that Apple includes an older version of this kext in IONetworkingFamily.kext. The version at the Realtek site is newer than what Apple has.

So for 10.5.6 at least, this kext is redundant at best.

To connect your Airport Express Base station, install the "open source" RealtekR1000.kext found at Psystar (attached here), and released in Jan 2009 (they claim to have updated the code). It is different than the R1000.kext that has been around since 2007. Since it may disappear at Psystar, it is attached here.

Simply install this updated RealtekR1000.kext to the Extentions folder using Kext Helper. After installing this .kext, Airport Express basestation will immediately sensed. All the rest of the network functions continue to work well.

Hi jdxxx,

I just checked the Psystar website and the driver there (same version as you have attached) was updated on the 12th of September 2008. Where did you get the Jan 2009 driver?

Regards,

Hassnain

Version 1.8.1 of the Psystar driver doesn't work for me when loaded into the EFI partition. The AppleRTL8169Ethernet driver gets picked every bleedin' time. I've tried tracing the driver matching process per the Apple developer docs and I can't figure out why it isn't getting picked.

Guess I'll try putting it into /System/Library/Extensions instead.

One quick restart later ... yup, putting it in /System/Library/Extensions instead of the EFI boot partition worked.

I think I need to study up on how the EFI boot partition thing works.

I tried the installer and also this installrelease kext, but can't get it to work. looks like nothing happened, only the kext is there in extensions My network card is Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC. I'm having an AMD based computer, might this be the problem, cause in the installation it says "(Intel)".

It looks like its trying to configure the ethernet (flashing orange led for once or twice) and then nothing. When I go to mac osx in safemode, then in network preferences it shows that the card is inactive. Although the cable is plugged in it doesn't change anything.

I tried the installer and also this installrelease kext, but can't get it to work. looks like nothing happened, only the kext is there in extensions My network card is Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC. I'm having an AMD based computer, might this be the problem, cause in the installation it says "(Intel)".

It looks like its trying to configure the ethernet (flashing orange led for once or twice) and then nothing. When I go to mac osx in safemode, then in network preferences it shows that the card is inactive. Although the cable is plugged in it doesn't change anything.

no problem anymore

ME123 thanks for the advice to enable Wake on lan after shutdown

I have had this built in nic for ages now and it was working properly until now I installed it with the installer provided in the first post here. Now, however, I have changed my time machine drive that is attached to the airport extreme and now when I try to make a fresh backup it would only backup up to about 500 to 900mb and then whole system would just freeze up and display that message about power button to reset the computer. As far as internet everything is working fine. Any suggestions? I have tried the pystar driver and still no luck.

I have asrock 945g-dvi with Realtek RTL8111B. Oh and I am running kalyway 10.5.3.

Thank you

PS. Is there any other nic that supports gb lan and works natively and is cheap as well?

Hey, I have an 8111c, and I think I've tried almost every solution in here...no luck yet. I got to System Preferences and under network the ethernet is recognized, but not functional. It says it "has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect". Any ideas?

i have the realtek 8111d in my board (EX58-UD5) and both the open source and the pystar version of the realtek1000 kext "kill" my lans rom, resulting in me resetting the cmos to get them back for a day, then i have to repeat the steps. does anybody else have this?

Hi guys,

I have IDeneb 1.5.4, and there is no way to make my mobo(GAp35-DS3) integrated adapter (chip realtek 8168/8111B) work. I tryed:

1) IOnetwokfamily.kext

2) This http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=29436 solution

But still nothing, the adapter don`t even have power on it, in XP i works perfectly.

And also i have Scientific Atlanta (Webstar) modem 2100, i try to connect it via USB, but have no drivers for it (for MAC OS) - so it initialise in OS and shows in "Networking" as Ethernet 2. Because i have no drivers it shows wrong IP adress (DHCP auto mode) like 164.67...

In Manual i can set my real IP and DNS servers, but it is still can not open pages.

What can i do, baybe some drivers for 2100Webstar - didn`t foud them on internet.

Thanks in advance!

Hi guys,

I have IDeneb 1.5.4, and there is no way to make my mobo(GAp35-DS3) integrated adapter (chip realtek 8168/8111B) work. I tryed:

1) IOnetwokfamily.kext

2) This http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=29436 solution

But still nothing, the adapter don`t even have power on it, in XP i works perfectly.

Same here, except I have a GA-p35-DS4. Onboard Ethernet is seen by XP as Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&CC_020000)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My apologies - however, I thought that maybe more effort will be put in helping if someone noted that maybe this problem is not something which only one member is experiencing.

My apologies Komatorie.

Best Regards,

Geoffrey

My apologies - however, I thought that maybe more effort will be put in helping if someone noted that maybe this problem is not something which only one member is experiencing.

My apologies Komatorie.

Best Regards,

Geoffrey

I think that use of an experimental driver should be hard-to-use, but you are right when it comes to productional-state software.

However, when the driver is stable and documented well enough, someone will just make an installation package so you can download the pkg, install it, reboot and have ethernet :( Maybe, until then, you can take a try with kexthelper. Last time I checked, it was at beta 7, but it does the job.

Works like:

a ) download the kext driver for your device

b ) drop the kext onto the kexthelper

c ) some form of auth is asked

d ) sometimes reboot, sometimes have fun without that

Which again, was that last time I used it.