Realtek 8168/8111 solution

DaemonES

872 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings all...

I´ve got success doing something that I don´t thing others tried here, but I haven´t read the whole post...

I have a Realtek 8169 that came with my HP DX6660 notebook, and:

1 - it was detected natively by MacOS 10.5.1 & 10.5.2 (current), but it wouldn´t detect the cable plugged in.

2 - I installed the drivers with sh installrelease, then the note wouldn´t boot (panic)

3 - boot with -s

4 - /sbin/mount -uw /

5 - cd /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns

6 - mv AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext.orig

7 - cp -R RealtekR1000.kext AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext

What I did was trick the system to load the RealtekR1000 driver as if it was the original one. Got web now, maybe this helps someone...

Good luck all, and thanks for everybodys effort on getting their macs to kick !

• 2 weeks later...

Uh...Does anyone know how to do this in a retail Leopard using boot-132?

Help plz!

The purpose of using boot-132 is to make Leopard untouched, but as far as I'm concerned, this method got to patch some system files, which makes Leopard no more "pure".

And I also wonder that, would this method got screwed up by new updates?

Thx in advance.

Hi. I have got 8168 and i install drivers from first site. Ethernet conetion works only, when i disconnect first hd. At first hd i've got windows and at second os x. Any idea how to make it works?

there is no error or somethink like that, only at "web" tab it say that ethernet cabel is not plug in.

Ps. Sory for my english:)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, thank you, thank you. This fix perfectly resolved my LAN issues.

I had working internet but could not see two airport extremes (despite being physically connected to one of them) and iTunes could not see the Apple TV.

With this fix in place both issues are gone. I added the kext to my USB boot loader, rebooted, and it all just works.

Hello everybody...

I'm a newbie with macs...and I installed the os in an intel core2duo...ok...everything is going great BUT the LAN...actualy, I dont have it...it just doesnt work...

my pc is connected to a router and the router to the modem...it just doesnt work...=(

I know that i have a realtek 8168...but i have no idea on how to install this driver...could you please do a step-by-step?!!?!?!?

thanks a lot

I've been trying to install this but honestly I do not know how to. Can someone please explain how to install this? I tried using kexthelperb7, but when I put in the password for root, which I changed using Director Utility and then repaired permissions, I get an error that it could not log into it or something. I've tried installing it by the terminal, but nothing. I've searched and tried many of the things in this thread, but it seems I am not doing it right. :wacko:

My questions are:

How do install this? :blink:

Where exactly do I place the files? :blink:

Here is some other information just in case:

Acer Aspire M5630

Dual-booting with Windows XP

I use Darwin Bootloader

RTL8111B Lan

EDIT:

Never mind, I found a fix. I do not know why, but XP does not allow my ethernet to work on leopard, so all I did was delete Windows XP and installed Windows Vista, while I dislike Vista, most apps I need run nicely on Vista, must be that my computer can handle it, well anyways, I fixed my problem, just wished that it would have worked with XP, oh well, as long as Vista does not give me any problems, I'm fine.

Edited by Rikus Haven

hi

im running kalyway 10.5.2

everything is working cept my internet is damn slow.. y is that????

i have a D865Gsa mother board with a RTL8100c ethernet card.. ive tried the drivers mentioned in this post but doesnt seem to help.

i installed it using the kext helper that came with the os

do i need to buy a new lan card or is there a way to sort things out?????

R.H#2 I spent a lot of time trying to identify this weird behavior of transmission nearly stopping. When it ran, it was spectacular; 65-70MB/sec. I don't have very good diagnostics but all the testing kept leading back to the server's NIC/drivers.

I was having this exact same problem with my 8110 onboard ethernet, but not only did transmission stop, the mouse became erratic and unresponsible, so I went and brought a Netgear GA311 , and reinstalled from scratch. It detected the card out of the box, but I was still having the bloody transmission errors! ARGGGH! So bloody frustrating!

I've tried with the 'real' drivers too, same issue, on gigabit or 100mbit the same problem occurs. Now it looks like i'm going to have to go buy ANOTHER card (what model is your Intel gigabit?)

Anyone else got any better idea with why the GA311 has this problem? It's got a RTL 8169S on board..

• 2 weeks later...
aberracus open teriminal window, than open RealtekR1000 dir from terminal and type sh installrelease

I did as you said, and the terminal gives me the following message:

extension Realtek1000.kext has potential problems:

"Kext has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpl components; uso only one style" = true

kextload: extension Realtek1000.kext appears to be loadable

kextload: extension Realtek1000.kext loaded successfully

Am i doing something wrong or is it supposed to work now?

Vmware workstation 6.5 - Networking set to bridged - right?  :lol:

Ps. Really new to OSX, but pretty good w windows and linux

tested the psystar driver myself:

Bonjour ist working (instead of the orig. Realtek 2.0 Driver used before).

But I got various network problems (Mail can't connect to Accounts, ICQ Probs, etc. especially after wake from sleep).

Switched back to the Realtek 2.0 driver, which works alright except of the Bonjour Problem :-/

:D for all u people who have trouble installing these driver its actuall very simple. Thank u for putting up this driver it has really solved my earlier problem.

step1: download the file. RTGMac_v1.1.6.zip and RealtekR1000_1.04.zip. (Google it, i am sure u will find it in some forum somewhere.)

step2: install RTGMac and then reboot. U will see your net funtion already but their will be system crash's with this driver hence we need the other zip file. unzip the RealtekR1000.

step3: In the build folder u can find the RealtekR1000.kext file. right click and copy it.

step4: copy that file in the folder /System/Library/Extensions/(paste here) & /User/(your user)/(paste here)

step5: open the kext Helper b7 which is in the utilities folder.

step6: use the mouse to drag the file (realtek*****.mkext) on the kext helper.

step7: Press enter and install the driver. it will say cross your fingues and reboot (love the language) and so i did that and waaala. networks working AWSOME. and hasnt crashed either from the past 2 hours. Saw a movie already and finished a few downloads without a problem.

THanks a TON guys.

On Leopard it does not work ... I have an Realtek R8111B and either it says that it's connected and it does not work, or it says that it's connected to the internet but again, it doesn't work.

I've tried all the methods described here, none worked...

tested the psystar driver myself:

Bonjour ist working (instead of the orig. Realtek 2.0 Driver used before).

But I got various network problems (Mail can't connect to Accounts, ICQ Probs, etc. especially after wake from sleep).

Switched back to the Realtek 2.0 driver, which works alright except of the Bonjour Problem :-/

What board do you have?

the psystar "enhanced" R1000 kext works for me on ga-p35-ds3 and on ga-ep35-ds3 (a friend owns a ga-ep35-ds3r and has no problems whatsoever with this driver)

cheers

Hi Guys,

After came across the same problem and reading through the thread carefully I started to investigate other OS-es, since the problem surfaced on Linux too!

After a successful install the NIC didn't get its IP address from the router. To cut the lnog story short, I found this:

Situation

You are running a Realtek 8168, 8169, 8101 or 8111 chipset based card but the network doesn't work, but the driver reports that the interface is up and running. You are running dual boot Windows and Linux on your machine.

Reason

The Realtek Windows driver disables the NIC at Windows shutdown time. The current linux r8169 driver does not know how to turn on the NIC from this disabled state, therefor the device will not respond, even if the driver loads and reports that the device is up.

Workaround

Here are two workarounds for this issue:

1. You power down the machine completely and unplug the power supply for a few seconds (about 10 will do). This seems to reset the card and the Linux driver work until you boot Windows again.

2. You enable "Wake-on-lan after shutdown." in the Windows device manager. This prevents the Windows driver to disable the card.

Even if I don't run windows, the NIC went to sleep and none of the Linux or OSX drivers were able to wake it up. There is an official Linux driver (in source) which does wake up the card but I chose the simpler way and after 30 secs of powerdown, the card was up and running.

Hey all!

For those of you wanting to support your RTL8101L (or similar RTL810X), I recommend the PCGenRTL8139Ethernet KEXT driver avail from here.

I used this PCGenRTL8139Ethernet driver since OS X 10.4 days and popped it in when i first went to Leopard and it worked fine. However, when trying munky's boot method a few weeks ago, i used the opportunity to upgrade to this new driver specially designed for Leopard by some 'john stormdrake' avail from here. Do NOT use this! (At least if you have same or similar NIC as me, RTL8101L)

Although the guy claims he made it especially for Leopard from the orByte's PCGenRTL8139 source, he sets it to Disable Flow Control which causes problems once you download something for a long duration with many peers (eg. BitTorrent). My internet worked just fine at first for browsing for a few days, but once I put a 6 GB torrent to download, I started seeing "TX outbound packet transfer error" like crazy in my system.log and "corrupt chunks" errors from my BT program. I tried all how, all ways, and all user suggestions given to fix it, but nothing worked. Many people decided to get a Wii USB Ethernet converter to replace onboard RTL810X NIC. But in the end I came back to this ancient PCGenRTL8139Ethernet KEXT and my 6GB downloaded great without a single error in system.log or my torrent program.

It may be years old and unsupported, and not officially for Leopard, but I can deff say it solved my corrupt packet errors and works fine with 10.5.5 vanilla (on my EFI partition).

Hope this helps someone,