Realtek 8168/8111 solution

DaemonES

872 posts in this topic

Try looking in the system.log with console.app in the utilities folder in the applications folder. It might explain something.

Posting "Thing X doesn't work" isn't helpfull. Explain what you did and what the results were.

To investigate pci and drivers, try IORegistryExplorer, it comes with Xcode 3 and is free at the ADC site (try google!)

Posting "Thing X doesn't work" isn't helpfull. Explain what you did and what the results were.

I did man. I explained that i installed iDened 10.5.6 v1.4, then i searched and found that i should install that realtekr1000 kext from this link http://sourceforge.net/projects/realtekr1000/ for my network adapter Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) by KextHelper and nothing happens til' now :pirate2:

Try looking in the system.log with console.app in the utilities folder in the applications folder. It might explain something.
To investigate pci and drivers, try IORegistryExplorer, it comes with Xcode 3 and is free at the ADC site (try google!)

Thanks OnePlane, i'll try it

sorry for my bad English

Hi! I have a Gigabyte EP43-UD3L which utilizes Realtek 8111C. I am running a BOOT-132/retail install of 10.5.6.

I have tried the realtek 2.0 DL, the one in the OP, and the realtek 1.8 kext. The Pystar link seems to be dead on their website.

Does anyone have the Realtek 1.16 (that link is dead in this thread), or ANY kext that will support my 8111c?

I saw many people reference the Realtek 1.16 RTG Installer, but all I get is a username/password prompt form realtek when clicking on the FTP link.

Thanks!

is there anybody help me :)

Hi! I have a Gigabyte EP43-UD3L which utilizes Realtek 8111C. I am running a BOOT-132/retail install of 10.5.6.

I have tried the realtek 2.0 DL, the one in the OP, and the realtek 1.8 kext. The Pystar link seems to be dead on their website.

Does anyone have the Realtek 1.16 (that link is dead in this thread), or ANY kext that will support my 8111c?

I saw many people reference the Realtek 1.16 RTG Installer, but all I get is a username/password prompt form realtek when clicking on the FTP link.

Thanks!

You both should just look for a compatible PCI Ethernet card and just use one of those. They're cheap and supported, so no more kext hassle.

I am pretty sure all we need is the older realtek 1.1.6 RTG. ITs a really easy to use installer. Double click, hit continue 3 times, finish. It auto touches the extensions folder and reboots.

Its really not a hassle, its just a matter of anyone who has the file uploading it to the boards since realtek took it off their site. I could not find anyway to DL old versions, but maybe someone else can...

I am pretty sure all we need is the older realtek 1.1.6 RTG. ITs a really easy to use installer. Double click, hit continue 3 times, finish. It auto touches the extensions folder and reboots.

Its really not a hassle, its just a matter of anyone who has the file uploading it to the boards since realtek took it off their site. I could not find anyway to DL old versions, but maybe someone else can...

Does it work with Leo?

copy paste post from another thread

Just installed 10.5.6 ( iDeneb 1.4 ) on an AMD system ( GA-MA770 DS3 , DualCore 5200+ , HD2600Pro )

Installed with a 16Gb Usb key on an external drive , all hardware is recognized ( proc shows as an intel duocore 2700 :P ) and everything works perfect ... except that my Realtek 8168/8111 ethernet adapter shows a different MAC address than the one it shows in windows ?! Is that even possible - two different hardware addresses of the same adapter ?

Tried to change the MAC manually with both 'ifconfig en0 lladdr 00....' and 'ifconfig en0 ether 00....' and it accepts the command but it doesn't change anything .

I have still the option to change the MAC in windows ( pretty easy ) and then call my ISP to ID me with the new one

but i have to be sure that it's not a driver issue that's causing all this trouble . Adapter shows correctly in system profiler - how can i test it without establishing a connection ?

edit -

just tried RTGMac 116 and RTL1000 v104 and it doesn't change anything - Leopard's mac is different from windows's one and I'm still unable to change it manually

what i see in console is - on every boot :

rtl_r1000_nic_ext: Ethernet address 00.....( the wrong leopard's one )

On the plus side I seem to be ahead of many of the folks that have basic connectivity issues (I am using iPC 10.5.6 and then some updates from osx86tools) .. the 8111C on my Mobo worked somewhat out of the box, and osx86Tools installed an update (Realtek RTL811/816BB) so it worked even better.. so much I thought it was perfect.. until I tried iTunes/Bonjour.. and then I found it wasn't perfect (it could not see my iTunes share.. an older 10/100 NIC I have sees it just fine)

do any of these other RT driver versions support Bonjour? (I've tried RTG2Mac and did not see any improvement.. unless I was supposed to remove something else...)

thanks!

On the plus side I seem to be ahead of many of the folks that have basic connectivity issues (I am using iPC 10.5.6 and then some updates from osx86tools) .. the 8111C on my Mobo worked somewhat out of the box, and osx86Tools installed an update (Realtek RTL811/816BB) so it worked even better.. so much I thought it was perfect.. until I tried iTunes/Bonjour.. and then I found it wasn't perfect (it could not see my iTunes share.. an older 10/100 NIC I have sees it just fine)

do any of these other RT driver versions support Bonjour? (I've tried RTG2Mac and did not see any improvement.. unless I was supposed to remove something else...)

thanks!

on my ga-ep35-ds3 bonjour works with the psystar version. no go with neither the 1.16 nor the 2.x from realtek. as I'm not at home right now, I can't upload it.

cheers

ok , I managed to get the ethernet to work with the R1000 v104 driver by deleting all the kexts but AppleRTL8169 in IONetworkingFamily

Problem is that it still gives a wrong MAC address and changing it in Terminal doesn't work

I still don't get how the same hardware can give a different MAC in windows and osx

ok , I managed to get the ethernet to work with the R1000 v104 driver by deleting all the kexts but AppleRTL8169 in IONetworkingFamily

Problem is that it still gives a wrong MAC address and changing it in Terminal doesn't work

I still don't get how the same hardware can give a different MAC in windows and osx

It's because de driver isn't programmed to get it right from the card.

on my ga-ep35-ds3 bonjour works with the psystar version. no go with neither the 1.16 nor the 2.x from realtek. as I'm not at home right now, I can't upload it.

cheers

Is that the 1.8 (or something like that) version? I think I found that already and can give it a shot tonite. Just didn't want to try random drivers.

Now so far, I've only been playing with gfx kexts... it sounds like these networking drivers might go in a different location? Do I need to remove any other drivers when I try this one? I have the default from 10.5.6, and then the Realtek RTL811/816BB installed from osx86tools.

thanks,

Mike

It can't be random , with the different versions of the driver i tried it's always the same wrong address

I never said it was random, the driver might just not ever read it correctly, or not read it at all and just use a hardcoded variable.

(I believe) some cards let you SET the MAC address.. could that be what you are seeing?

It's ROM-burned, not 'settable' but only spoof-able.