Realtek 8168/8111 solution

DaemonES

872 posts in this topic

hello guys,i am new here,so please be patient with me :P

i already download the installer from neo and i install the installer,but nothing happens...

when i restart in booting menu they detect my LAN with something like this "DCHP blablabla".

when i conect the RJ45 cable,nothing happens,the ethernet light is not on.

please help me...

i'm sorry about my english,hope u can understand :hysterical:

Hello,

I've installed the driver today, and it's working like a charm, thanks a lot :D. There's only one thing that doesn't work like it should, and that's the DHCP-lease. When woken from sleep, there's no DHCP adress configured. The driver loads perfectly, no errors in console whatsoever, only there's no DHCP configured. If I choose to renew the DHCP adress manually, it's working again... I guess the power management for this driver isn't stable yet. Any way to fix this?

Thanks in advance and thanks again for the great driver so far!

Btw: I'm using a GA-P35DS3R, with the Realtek 811B...

@ Tha_Messiah; did you try using Kexthelper, and you should try repairing permissions with Diskutil :thumbsup_anim:

Yeah I'm encountering this problem on my DS3L too - no IP address when woken from sleep. A manual reset grabs it, but that's kind of annoying to do every time I wake from sleep.

There a fix for this yet?

Edit: P35-DS3L's Ethernet is supported in Leopard by default, all I had to do was uncheck it from the Kalyway script :P Thanks Stella!

Hi All,

I'm a recent explorer in the OSX86 world and have built a 10.5.2 Kalyway machine to use as an AFP fileserver.

Problem: RTL8111b 1GB LAN stalls after about 2-3GB outbound traffic; running, almost stopping (<100kb/sec), running again etc. In 100Mb mode seems to work without problem. Inbound traffic does not seem to have this problem.

MB: Intel D945GCNL

CPU: Allendale Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz E4600

I've read about using the Realtek RTGMac v_2.0.0 or RTGMac v_1.1.6 driver but am a bit confused if this is necessary.

If needed, how is the driver replacement done? I presume I need to remove the Realtek1000 driver?

All hints appreciated.

Its actually very easy. Just go to the System/Library/Extensions folder, delete RealtekR1000.kext (if its there), run the RTGMac installer, repair permissions, and reboot ;)

Thanks. I'll use the 1.1.6 as you suggested in a previous post.

The Realtek1000.kext was in System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns Folder.

I got the hint from the permissions repair report.

I just made the same purchase for the same reason.

I used the "real" Realtek 2.0 drivers for OSX 10.5 found on their driver page here:

Realtek RTL8110SC(L)/RTL8110S-32/RTL8110SB(L)/RTL8169SB(L)/RTL8169SC(L)RTL8169

Scroll all the way down to the bottom "others" section for the 8169 OSX driver.

I removed the Kalyway installed kext, rebuilt caches, rebooted and installed this one.

Works fine.

How do you "rebuild caches?" After installing/uninstalling and returning the kext's to their original configuration, the LAN port reports "Cable Disconnected." Will rebuilding the cache help here?

If you are having problems with this driver, use this official Realtek driver (or at least it seems like it):

ftp://210.51.181.211/cn/nic/RTGMac_v1.1.6.zip

Used it on Leopard and Tiger with RTL8111B, 0 problems.

I had a look, and found a newer version (2.0.0). Works like a nicely, don't have to have LAN option ROM enabled in BIOS anymore for the damn thing to work.

HOWEVER.......

It still will not allow frame sizes above 1500. trying to set frame sizes above this result in the following:

hackintosh:/ user$ sudo ifconfig en0 mtu 7200

Password:

ifconfig: ioctl (set mtu): Invalid argument

Nice Try,

Oh, I see! Maybe that's why it didn't work when I was using it on 10.4.11...I put it in the Extensions folder. But strangely enough, that worked in 10.4.10 :lol: To rebuild caches just go into /System/Library and delete Extensions.mkext, or boot with -f flag.

fcollingwood,

Maybe try 1.1.6, possibly it might not have those restrictions.

Nice Try,

Oh, I see! Maybe that's why it didn't work when I was using it on 10.4.11...I put it in the Extensions folder. But strangely enough, that worked in 10.4.10 :) To rebuild caches just go into /System/Library and delete Extensions.mkext, or boot with -f flag.

fcollingwood,

Maybe try 1.1.6, possibly it might not have those restrictions.

I tracked the Realtek 1.1.6 and 2.0.0 install packages to the IONetworking.kext package folder. But, the RealtekR1000 (referenced in earlier posts via sourceforge) separate package installed in the "Extensions" folder. I'm not sure I understand all I know about this...

Thanks for the leads. I chased a few Red Herrings:

R.H.#1 After installing both the 1.1.6 and 2.0.0 Realtek drivers, the original symptom of erratic throughput remained. I reconfigured back to original and got the "Not Connected" message. Well, if I had pressed "Apply" in the Network setup panel, it would have configured, no cache cleaning required... "Operator Error." Oh Well, an another hour or two shot.

R.H#2 I spent a lot of time trying to identify this weird behavior of transmission nearly stopping. When it ran, it was spectacular; 65-70MB/sec. I don't have very good diagnostics but all the testing kept leading back to the server's NIC/drivers.

I installed an Intel Pro/1000 Dual Network Adapter in a PCI slot, installed some drivers from Small Tree and Voila! Actually, I think Leopard already knew how to use this card but I got suckered by the "Not Connected" message and went ahead and installed it. The card worked. I think it is slightly slower than the Realtek but it does not hiccup. I'm thinking the on-board interface is too fast in some way and the driver/AFP layer..., someone may know, can't deal with it. The "kernel task" cpu usage goes to zero during the stalled times. The result with the Intel PCI adapter is a 48-50MB/sec transfer rate that is stable.

Whew! a frustrating afternoon but I have a solution.

Thanks again.

Hi All,

I'm a recent explorer in the OSX86 world and have built a 10.5.2 Kalyway machine to use as an AFP fileserver.

Problem: RTL8111b 1GB LAN stalls after about 2-3GB outbound traffic; running, almost stopping (<100kb/sec), running again etc. In 100Mb mode seems to work without problem. Inbound traffic does not seem to have this problem.

I've read about using the Realtek RTGMac v_2.0.0 or RTGMac v_1.1.6 driver but am a bit confused if this is necessary.

If needed, how is the driver replacement done? I presume I need to remove the Realtek1000 driver?

All hints appreciated.

Changed installation to use sleepkernel from vanillakernel and all seems to work with the RealtekR1000 driver.

Hi All,

All hints appreciated.

Symptom has returned. I've throttled back to 100Mbs and will re-install Intel PCI card.

• 2 weeks later...

@NiceTry

I have some problems at the ethernet too. Both with my onboard at a P35-DS3P and also an RTL8169 Card. And i discovered something strange, unfourtunatly after i bought the PCI Card. Unfourtunatly because i think all this is not related to the RTL drivers. Or maybe not completly, but also to my switch, a D-Link DGS1005.

Some additional information on this. I have three machines, an old G4 (rarely running), my MacBook Pro and the new part in the game, my Hackintosh. Some day when this kind of network breakdown happened the G4 was running too. And i discovered, that both machines disappered from the finder. I cannot connect to anything on the network but there was some heavy activity on the Switch LEDs. So i restarted it (pulled the power plug) and everthing was working as expected again. Nothing to do on the computers, simply restart the switch.

So as an idea for anybody with same problems on their networks. Try to restart your Switch, mybe you get the same healing effect i see. But at the end i dont know what to do. This happened sometimes three or four times a day so this is no solution at all. But on my network it is not related to traffic, but much traffic will "help" to get it :(

Discussion boards for networking are suggesting to buy a real switch first. HP or linksys or at least something more reliable than an d-Link. Not a cheap way but it might be the only one.

mfg

Michael

is it good on 8139 as well?

To All: Thanks for the advice.

All the tries with the drivers, even the 8139, showed the same symptom.

I used the BOOT-KABYL-BUMBY bootloader, installed my retail OS X and now the LAN works without a problem. I did not have to install any additional network-related drivers.

Now that it works, I gave up chasing the problem since I have so few diagnostics.

NiceTry

@NiceTry

I have some problems at the ethernet too. Both with my onboard at a P35-DS3P and also an RTL8169 Card. And i discovered something strange, unfourtunatly after i bought the PCI Card. Unfourtunatly because i think all this is not related to the RTL drivers. Or maybe not completly, but also to my switch, a D-Link DGS1005.

Some additional information on this. I have three machines, an old G4 (rarely running), my MacBook Pro and the new part in the game, my Hackintosh. Some day when this kind of network breakdown happened the G4 was running too. And i discovered, that both machines disappered from the finder. I cannot connect to anything on the network but there was some heavy activity on the Switch LEDs. So i restarted it (pulled the power plug) and everthing was working as expected again. Nothing to do on the computers, simply restart the switch.

So as an idea for anybody with same problems on their networks. Try to restart your Switch, mybe you get the same healing effect i see. But at the end i dont know what to do. This happened sometimes three or four times a day so this is no solution at all. But on my network it is not related to traffic, but much traffic will "help" to get it :P

Discussion boards for networking are suggesting to buy a real switch first. HP or linksys or at least something more reliable than an d-Link. Not a cheap way but it might be the only one.

mfg

Michael

I too noticed the shared systems dropping from the finder. I was able to manually connect to the server anyhow. You've given me a clue for the next time it happens: reset the switch (mine is a Netear).

nabend auch,

my solution for the {censored} realtek rtl 8168b with motherboard gb p35-ds3r (kalyway 10.5.2)

i had always the alert "cable unplugged"... arrgggharrrrrr

the way:

1) goto to /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/

2) destroy all the xxxxEthernet.kext stuff

3) repair the rights

4) install "GUT_RTGMac_v2.0.0"

and?! yes, you have connection... welcome to the internet. lol.

iam so happy.

btw: pcwiz and nice try, thank you

xsnapz

p.s.

link driver

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downlo...;Downloads=true

• 2 weeks later...
I just made the same purchase for the same reason.

I used the "real" Realtek 2.0 drivers for OSX 10.5 found on their driver page here:

Hi, does mDNS work for you with these drivers? (Bonjour, Rendezvous, or however it's called)

cheers

Hi, I just installed the 'real' 2.0 drivers and can report that they do NOT support Bonjour. Unfortunately! I found them to be faster than the RealtekR1000 driver, especially when spooling to my printer.

Signal64,

sorry for the delay, been outta town,

yes I'd love to know if mDNS really works, never worked for me with the realtek drivers.

other machines on the lan can "see" my hack, but not the other way around. with the driver from DaemonES they show up.

regards

I installed the 'Real' drivers and my hack can no longer see my time capsule nor my appleTV (both Bonjour boxes). Reverted back to R1000.kext and the devices show up again. Seems like the official drivers dont have Bonjour support.

Maybe if we ask realtek they will add the support... I am going to try

Hi, I just installed the 'real' 2.0 drivers and can report that they do NOT support Bonjour. Unfortunately! I found them to be faster than the RealtekR1000 driver, especially when spooling to my printer.

I installed the 'Real' drivers and my hack can no longer see my time capsule nor my appleTV (both Bonjour boxes). Reverted back to R1000.kext and the devices show up again. Seems like the official drivers dont have Bonjour support.

so I'm not imagining things, good to know.

regards

mtrr

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BuildSmart
so I'm not imagining things, good to know.

regards

mtrr

If the source for these drivers could be made available they would have a far better change of getting full support and functionality than waiting on them.

I have exactly the same problem, internet works out of the box, same with the "real" drivers. But there's no support for Bonjour, but they're faster :P. So installed R1000, everything working properly, except for the damn wake from sleep..

Does anyone know how to script DHCP renewal after wake from sleep?

If the source for these drivers could be made available they would have a far better change of getting full support and functionality than waiting on them.

If you look at the Release.txt file that comes with the 'real' drivers, it would seem that a realtek employee by the name of 'Chien Hao' is responsible for the driver. I suspected that his email is ChienHao@realtek.com if follows their naming convention but I got a bounceback.

Anyone have an idea of their naming convention?

If you look at the Release.txt file that comes with the 'real' drivers, it would seem that a realtek employee by the name of 'Chien Hao' is responsible for the driver. I suspect his email is ChienHao@realtek.com if follows their naming convention. Can I suggest we all contact him asking for Bonjour support to be added?

Or we ask for the source and fix it ourselves :(