OSX on DELL Vostro 3450 / Inspiron N4110 / XPS L702x UEFI Clover

TimeWalker75a

1,149 posts in this topic

Heads up about EAPD and our ALC269VB codec...

As of 10.9.2 beta C32, which contains AppleHDA of version 2.6.0 all the tricks to make audio codec (technically, EAPD) resume from sleep are hopeless. Even though we have antipop and CodecCommander installed, the audio only works up until there is actual audio stream .. lets say you hit F11 and it produces a *bonk* sound. Now, exactly after 25 seconds the audio from speakers will go missing and so will the headphone/mic jack sensing. Only a restart can fix this.. up until you put the laptop to sleep again. 

I don't know the cause of this in OSX in the first place (hence we have to use antipop to produce an audio stream in 10.9.1 and prior) so dealing with this will be pretty much impossible. I know from Fedora feedback about ALC269 on some Asus EEE laptops that audio gets routed badly and gets lost in disabled nodes.. They are making sure not to mute disabled nodes.. but with AppleHDA there is no control over that. For now, rolling back the kext from 10.9.1 works, but I'm not the person that likes rolling stuff back.  

There's a function inside AppleHDAController called checkCodecCommandTimeout(unsigned int, bool) which I suspect to be the culprit to this, but I have no further info about this at the moment.

• Like 1

yeah, i notice this issue too. i don't why apple does this change, so weird. :(  By now 10.9.2 is still in beta, maybe it will keep change before final version release, so, i think we should take a break when it's ready.

So I've spotted another thing, and I'm not sure if this is the HD3000 or a software thing, but OSX seems to be generating weird graphics artifacts at times, which can appear especially when watching videos in Flash (but appears elsewhere). Flipping between windows can get rid of the artifacts, as long as the window is completely removed from the screen.

A small example: http://cl.ly/image/3Q0U3E1A3R3Q

Sometimes it can show large chunks of text or images that I viewed somewhere else, not always on-screen at that time. The artifacts never get too big, though.

You need a proper display override with a patched EDID in order to get rid of those. There are only two panels possessible on these machines - either matte Chimei screen (vostro) or a glossy Philips I believe AUO (Inspiron), no other panels were shipped and the only resolution our LVDS single channel connector can handle is 1366x768. Both of these overrides are posted in the file archives for both machines, so you obviously missed some parts of the guide if you are getting the infamous artifacts.

You need a proper display override with a patched EDID in order to get rid of those. There are only two panels possessible on these machines - either matte Chimei screen (vostro) or a glossy Philips I believe AUO (Inspiron), no other panels were shipped and the only resolution our LVDS single channel connector can handle is 1366x768. Both of these overrides are posted in the file archives for both machines, so you obviously missed some parts of the guide if you are getting the infamous artifacts.

I looked through and I'm almost wondering if there's something significantly different about my display. My EDID vendor ID is 30e4, with a device ID of 2e9. This doesn't match either folder, unless I missed something. Should I try seeing if I can patch my own EDID, or is another display similar?

graphics artefact is related physic memory, as experienced if you have beyond 4GB memory you shouldn't have this issue. cause i have this too when just 4GB installed. Now i get 8GB memory then it gone. 

I looked through and I'm almost wondering if there's something significantly different about my display. My EDID vendor ID is 30e4, with a device ID of 2e9. This doesn't match either folder, unless I missed something. Should I try seeing if I can patch my own EDID, or is another display similar?

Theoretically you could just take whatever display override and put it in the appropriate folder/file structure as in .. vendor and override id that matches your original panel, but the contents of the EDID could be anything as long as the connector is identical (which it is) it should work regardless.

graphics artefact is related physic memory, as experienced if you have beyond 4GB memory you shouldn't have this issue. cause i have this too when just 4GB installed. Now i get 8GB memory then it gone. 

This is not always true, more like a theory than anything. I have 8 gigabytes of memory installed in my unit and I have no artifacts, true... but as soon as I get rid of EDID override broken lines and fuzzy squares will start appearing on the screen at random.

I can testify that artefacts appeared on my 4GB/8GB/16GB memory configuration for my XPS 15z under 10.7/10.8/10.9, and it was only after I forced an EDID display override for displayvendor-6af (my 1080p LVDS) that the issue went away completely. I have documented a how to elsewhere on this and other forums, and strongly advise it as a solution to anyone who hasn't managed to remove the issue by any other means.

Because his 14R has pretty much the same Intel Emerald Lake board that Vostro has.

UPD:

If yours is Intel-only model too please clarify on what files you are suing and what works for you (state your board number too!), perhaps the table in the original post needs to be updated to reflect more models.

in my situation i had to put files and folder from the directory inside of the OEM N4110 to Clover folder. CPU-Z and MSINFO32 doesn't read my mainboard model number so i read my mainboard manual and the model# is 0FH09V renamed oem model to it, didn't work for my Inspiron 14R. everything is working perfect on mac including HDMI video and Audio out.

the only effects that i had been it is on windows 8.1 only. mac and ubuntu are working perfect, time change always when i login from mac to win and fn+f2 freeze my windows 8.1 system.

@TW i find something, i saw u in this thread http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/3084-eapd-fix-in-a-standalone-kext-no-need-ioaudiofamily-patch/page-3 either.  EMlyDinEsH's patch is almost same with ours. And the difference is we use clover KextsToPatch so switch aml.zlib to xml.zlib and  put ConfigData in the CustomPeripheral.kext, he just keeps all in original driver, also removes any layoutX.xml.zlib from AppleHDA.kext. 

so i do a test keeping the patches as we have then modify AppleHDA.kext like him, also anti pop removed (EAPDFix installed), after re-install it works from sleep without 25s losing sound, . i think that maybe clover patches and  ConfigData under CustomPeripheral.kext isn't suitable for 10.9.2.

I'll jump in to test this with 2.6.0 kext then..

I kept antipop (since I use headphones frequently and I need it anyway) and my CC.kext

So far I've tried putting pinconfig data into AppleHDA's HW plugin directly = doesn't resume properly.

I will now try making the kext patches permanent (patch the binaries) to see if this helps..  if it doesn't I'll get rid of CC and antipop to try if just EAPDfix will help .. 

So, I've tried everything .. and nothing seems to work for me with 2.6.0 kext.

1. Used just ConfigData inside AppleHardwareConfig plugin 

2. Deleted all the kext patches from config.plist and applied them to binary file  (except xml->aml)

3. Used changes made in 1. and renamed resources back to .xml.zlib, deleted all of the original resources and put platforms and layout 28 in resources

4. Installed his EAPDFix, removed codec commander and removed antipop 

Nothing worked .. 

Can you attach a kext (or kexts? you never mention deleting CodecCommander or removing patches from config.plist, because otherwise config patched would be applied to the extensions) that worked for you? I really would like to give it a thorough look .. 

sorry for late, i remember it worked once ,what i have done is removing kextstopatch>aml to xml && bin patch under config.plist & CodecCommander and remaining all stuff like EMlyDinEsH done, BTW i notice the speaker configdata>node:0x14(20) patch is different like us, maybe it's the key.But when i try to modify it as we used do (kextstopatch+optional configdata+aml.zlib) failed. 

Currently i'm out of house when i return i will upload it.

Anyway i use voodoohda instead in a few days, version 2.8.4 it works well. but just manual control input device, speaker/headphone/internal micphone works(external mic doesn't test). if you have interest  i can update it too. 

The pinconfig for node 20 is different because I've used different numbers for associations and port location (if I recall correctly). 

I've tried using the pinconfig he suggested from his attached kext (of course changing internal microphone location from 0x19 to 0x12), but it's the same.

What I can comment about this issue though is that it also happened on my desktop.  At first I was baffled .. but then I looked closer .. it turned out that after one of the FakeSMC updates where I had my ConfigData for AppleHDA the plist got updated and there was no pinconfig at all! And same thing was happening like happens on our laptops.. the audio (no matter using speakers at read green port or headphones at front green) would only work for 25 second after sleep, then it would be muted. So I re added the ConfigData back into FakeSMCs info.plist and it started working normally.. Which makes me think that there might be something new about how codec pinconfig is handled .. and that maybe I need to try removing disabled nodes from it. I shall try it when I have time today.

yeah, i just confirm again, with normal sleep/wakeup it will lose sound after 25s,  but when i use LID sleep and wakeup it works well. it's odd. BTW what does it mean "FakeSMC updates" ? i don't update it.

this is latest version VoodooHDA correct for ALC269VB working, if you have interests. 

VoodooHDA.kext.zip

For some reason LID sleep also has another effect - when you close the LID the laptop goes to sleep right away, without the stupid 30 second delay that was introduced with release of Mavericks.

FakeSMC updates are these: http://puu.sh/6sNzb.png  which I'm sometimes foolishly accepting :) You can safely install them on the laptop as nothing thir-party is stored in the plists of it.

naah, I'm good.

Turns out some people are also getting these problems on their desktops after 10.9.2 C44 build.. so its a common issue afteral. Since majority of people don't know how to patch HDA themselves they just roll back the previous version .. and this is the reason you don't see people mentioning the problem around. But watch when toleda and the rest of the people involved with general public kext-patching update their files and you will start seeing people reporting loss of audio after sleep, even on codecs with no EAPD present.