[Guide] [Mavericks & Yosemite] AMD Radeon HD5450

Dr. Hurt

214 posts in this topic

Ok I finally got it working with a couple of kext files from another indian forum. Thanks for all the help anyway! Cheers!

Links would be helpful, if they're allowed here .. ?  =)

I assumed that you have check Graphics Enabler=Yes and AtiConfig=Elemur. (what's the model and IDs of your card by the way ?). With my MSI Radeon HD 5450 1GB (ids = 0x68f91002), the AMDRadeonAccelerator works fine under Mavericks. But strangely, with my other Sapphire Radeon HD 5450 1GB (IDs = 0x68e41002), it shows me an error with this kext during the boot process (kext malformed or something like that) but it works fine. If you have the same IDs as mine, I can send you them both.

But remember that you can't use patched kexts with a patched DSDT at the same time, you have to choose one method. Personnaly, I really don't undertstand how DSDT editing works even If I know it's the best way to avoid system updates and sleep issues. If someone is skilled enough to provide a clear and quite simple guide on how to edit DSDT, I would be greatly interested but so far, I never find that.

Can I use two different AMD Radeon cards that both accept different FrameBuffers, simultaneously?

I have a 5450 and a 6450. Both Asus. I can get the further details from the cards if you need them, I'm sure that the 5450 is 0x06f9, 512 megs. I am also pretty sure the 6450 is a 1 gigabyte card.

You mean in the same PC ? By linking them with CrossFire Technology (or something like that) ? Well i'm not a pro but I'm pretty sure that this techno isn't supported in OS X and even if it was, I'm also pretty sure that using two different framebuffers is not possible.

BTW, links are allowed here so go on ;-) Did you finally used the AMDRadeonAccelerator ? I heard from multiple sources that it's not necessary with OS X 10.9 but I never managed to make my cards works without it, so I'm pretty curious about that.

Glad to see that you finally solved your problem, enjoy !

You mean in the same PC ? By linking them with CrossFire Technology (or something like that) ? Well i'm not a pro but I'm pretty sure that this techno isn't supported in OS X and even if it was, I'm also pretty sure that using two different framebuffers is not possible.

BTW, links are allowed here so go on ;-) Did you finally used the AMDRadeonAccelerator ? I heard from multiple sources that it's not necessary with OS X 10.9 but I never managed to make my cards works without it, so I'm pretty curious about that.

Glad to see that you finally solved your problem, enjoy !

I actually didn't solve my problem =( I don't have AMDRadeonAccelerator installed on the Hack, maybe that's part of my ongoing issues. The two cards I have are not linked (or even linkable) with CrossFire, although I understand that makes quite the difference in the PC world - maybe some day the MacOS will support it.

Bottom line - I still have not been able to get the FrameBuffer to load for the AMD 5450 card ~and~ the 6450 card, it's either one or the other. Or maybe I'm not understanding how FrameBuffers are supposed to actually work .. does someone on InsanelyMac know?

Frame buffers should auto activate if they match the correct vendor/card ID. For the 5450, it should be Elemur. Don't know for the 6450. AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext should inform the OS that your card is a 5450 and with the correct id editing of the file, it should then activate Elemur.

I can give you mine if you want to, it's configured with 68f91002 id but you can adapt it with your own.

AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext.zip

• Like 2

Frame buffers should auto activate if they match the correct vendor/card ID. For the 5450, it should be Elemur. Don't know for the 6450. AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext should inform the OS that your card is a 5450 and with the correct id editing of the file, it should then activate Elemur.

I can give you mine if you want to, it's configured with 68f91002 id but you can adapt it with your own.

Polyzargone,

Thank you for the kext. I actually don't think I'll need it though, somehow I lucked out?

I decided to swap out my 5450 for an "old" Zotac NVidia GeForce GT520 and since it is NVidia it doesn't conflict with the other AMD Radeon 5450 HD. Both cards are cognized by the system, and in the Terminal I get --

macs-mac-pro:~ mavtest$ ioreg | grep ATY

| |   |   | +-o ATY,Pithecia@0  <class AtiFbStub, id 0x10000030c, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (2 ms), retain 8>

| |   |   | +-o ATY,Pithecia@1  <class AtiFbStub, id 0x10000030d, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (1 ms), retain 8>

That, I am presuming, means that the Pithecia framebuffer is loaded for the 6450 card (which is properly identified in About This Mac)?  I am also presuming that the @0 and @1 represent the "ports" the card has active.  In my case, I [am attempting to] use the DVI and HDMI ports, but I don't know if that is that @0 and @1 actually are ..

I don't notice *much* of a speed differential but hey, I'll take it where I can get it. When I have more $$ I will upgrade to better or faster cards, although to start that again is a pretty big guessing game project for me.

Not sure if the GT520 is working to capacity, but that's for a different thread, yes?

Any help one and all can offer re; the port configurations (and maybe how to activate ALL ports on the 6450 just for kicks ..?) would be much appreciated. Thanks.

here is what works for me.  (Or what to do if you can not find an Info.plist to edit)

Turns out to be quite straight forward, and simply a matter of editing the Info.plist files as mentioned already in this thread.

The main problem is simply, like others, there is no Info.plist to modify for the AMD5000Controller.kext in /S/L/E.

Using Pacifist to unpack the installer did not help either

However looking in /S/L/E on the install USB which had been created using !!!!Bleep!!!! there is AMD5000Controller.kext with an Info.plist.

Copy the AMD5000Controller.kext from you newly installed mavericks os disk /S/L/E to desktop

Copy  Info.plist + version.pllist from the USB installer/S/L/E/AMD5000Controller.kext/Contents  to  Desktop/AMD5000Controller.kext/Contents

Edit Info.plist  to add your card ID to IOPCIMatch as already mentioned in this thread.

Install this kext using kextutiliity

Set GraphicsEnabler=no in /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist

Reboot

As for AMDRadeaonX3000.kext, Info.plist already exists and had my card id in there.

That's all. No need to download kexts from anywhere.

Thanks DrHurt for starting this thread.

Cheers

A

I have a fully working installation of Mavericks in an Optiplex 780, including sleep and wake.  I just installed an XFX HD 5450 1GB video/graphics card ( 0X68F91002 ) and got it fully working with acceleration by modding two kext files but I want to edit the DSDT to enable it without hacked kexts so OS updates won't affect it.  

I've looked around the net, including here and elsewhere, and found instructions but none appear to relate well to the DSDT code for the Optiplex 780, or the 760 which is very similar, for me to understand well enough to do it with any confidence that what I do will work.  

Would someone here please help me with the editing or edit the DSDT for me?  

Attached are zipped files containing the DSDT and the IODeviceTree and IOService files generated by IORegistryExplorer.

Thanks.

DSDT.aml.zip

Opti 780 IODeviceTree.zip

Opti 780 IOService.zip

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a GT210. I bought it because my 2560x1440 monitor only has one DVI-D input, and my onboard Sandy bridge motherboard cannot output DVI at that high a resolution - it only goes up to 1920x1200 I think.

Well i'm having some issues, the system does recognise it but a)it always runs at full speed and b)I can't boot with the cable plugged in to it, and it only works if it's a secondary display to another crappy 1080p HDMI monitor. I try making it primary display in BIOS but it just throws up errors during boot.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a fully working installation of Mavericks in an Optiplex 780, including sleep and wake.  I just installed an XFX HD 5450 1GB video/graphics card ( 0X68F91002 ) and got it fully working with acceleration by modding two kext files but I want to edit the DSDT to enable it without hacked kexts so OS updates won't affect it.  

I've looked around the net, including here and elsewhere, and found instructions but none appear to relate well to the DSDT code for the Optiplex 780, or the 760 which is very similar, for me to understand well enough to do it with any confidence that what I do will work.  

Attached are zipped files containing the DSDT and the IODeviceTree and IOService files generated by IORegistryExplorer.

Thanks.

Yes, Me two! Would great to have this at a dsdt level!

• 2 weeks later...

Introduction:

After seeing a lot of people having trouble getting the Radeon HD5450 working with Mavericks, I decided to make a guide.

The card works perfectly without any graphics enabler as long as the proper device ids are in place.

Guides made for Mountain Lion are obsolete because Apple changed the kext names.

--- The are two ways to get the HD5450 to work properly in Mavericks:

1- Injecting a compatible fake-id (in this case, 68E01002) via DSDT. This has the advantage of using Apple's stock kexts and thus no need to re-patch kexts with every system update. 

2- Adding your specific device-id to the appropriate kexts. This is probably easier, but you'll have to redo it everytime you update the system.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1- Inject a compatible fake-id via DSDT. (Recommended if you have the skills)

All you need is to add the following code in the appropriate location in your DSDT (usually under PEG0 or PEGP).

PS. With this method you *must* use the original unmodified kexts.

Device (GFX0)
                {
                    Name (_ADR, Zero)
                    Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                    {
                        Store (Package (0x0C)
                            {
                                "device-id", 
                                Buffer (0x04)
                                {
                                    0xE0, 0x68, 0x00, 0x00
                                }, 

"ATY,DeviceID", 
                                Buffer (0x02)
                                {
                                    0xE0, 0x68
                                }, 

"vendor-id", 
                                Buffer (0x04)
                                {
                                    0x02, 0x10, 0x00, 0x00
                                }, 

"ATY,VendorID", 
                                Buffer (0x02)
                                {
                                    0x02, 0x10
                                }, 

"AAPL,slot-name", 
                                Buffer (0x07)
                                {
                                    "Slot-1"
                                }, 

"@0,AAPL,boot-display", 
                                Buffer (Zero) {}
                            }, Local0)
                        DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                        Return (Local0)
                    }
                }

2- Add the device id of your GPU to the appropriate kexts.

Add your device-id to the cedar section of the AMDRadeonX3000.kext and anywhere in the AMD5000Controller.kext

- Go to /System/Library/Extensions/ 
- Copy AMDRadeonX3000.kext and AMD5000Controller.kext to your desktop

- Right click on the AMD5000Controller.kext and click show contents.
- Open the info.plist (using TextEdit or any plist editor)
- Find the IOPCIMatch key and you'll see many device-ids
- Change any of those device-ids with yours (eg. 68981002 -> 68F91002)
- Save (make sure you don't change file extension)

- Right click on the AMDRadeonX3000.kext and click show contents.
- Open info.plist
- Find the AMDCedarGraphicsAccelerator
- Under IOPCIMatch, change 68E01002 to 68F91002
- Save

Use Kext Wizard to reinstall the modified kexts.

===============================================================================================================

Further Considerations:

1- Power Management

a- I use MacPro3,1 smbios to avoid loading AGPM and my temperature and performance are very acceptable.

b- You can experiment with different smbios (mainly iMac11,2 and 11,1) which will load AGPM.

2-  Framebuffers:

a- You can either use the Eulemur or the Generic framebuffer. My tests show no performance difference.

b- Eulemur breaks sleep with DVI and HDMI monitors. VGA works fine though!

c- Clover and Chameleon will automatically set framebuffer to Eulemur so I strongly recommend you disable the graphics injector features. 

3-  VESA modes (aka. boot resolution)

a- Chameleon's resolution module can patch the vbios and give you full resolution during boot.

b- Clover's built-in vbios patcher works perfectly too. 

c- VGA does not work in either case. The bootloader fails to read the EDID to obtain the optimal resolution.

4- Clover:

a- Clover's graphics injector has the ability to inject a fake id

b- As stated before, the injector automatically set framebuffer to Eulemur and thus breaks sleep. 

Hello Dr. Hurt or anyone who can help me,

Have been trying to add the id of my HD5450 to my kexts, and am also having problems with editing the dsdt file and adding the fake id, have relised the dsdt approach would be better as i wouldn't have to change every time an update was needed, would be very grateful if you could look at the dsdt file for me.

I think my id is 0x68e11002

(Device ID= 0x68e1, Vendor= ATI (0x1002), Revision ID=0x0000)

Thank you,

edmogeor

DSDT edmogeor.zip

Hello Dr Hurt,

Thank you very much for the quick reply. The graphics card is working perfectly with the dsdt you provided, however my ALC889 audio isn't. There is no sound on my machine, was wondering if this was anything to do with the dsdt as i could get it working with kexts from [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] before. I will reattach the edited DSDT file and the original, incase it is needed, i will also attach the ioreg file.

Would be very grateful if you could take a look at it,

Many thanks,

edmogeor

Thanks.

I basically have the same setup, but with an Optiplex 760. Using same DSDT, and a Radeon Saphire 1GB Video Card.

My eyes have gotten blurry many times trying to learn to do these edits.

Please help.

Did you try the patched DSDT I uploaded?

I have tried the patched east, it worked perfectly on the graphics, however for some reason my ALC889 audio has stopped working, is this something that is related to the DSDT patch, as I believe the audio is built into the motherboard.

Will any lines need to be added to the .plist file in the extra folder?

cheers

In an above post I have also supplied the ioreg file, incase this was needed to fix the problem

I haven't touched the HDEF code of your DSDT so I don't think they are related. Does using your old unpatched DSDT restore your sound?

In any case, may I suggest using voodoohda? Its more reliable than AppleHDA.

• 4 weeks later...

hi again dr hurt, im still trying to get audio in ati 5450, hdmi or headphones outputs, nothing works, i try applehda, all voodoo kexts , and i cant activate audio, im desperate cause in previous hackintosh 10.8.2 everything was fine, but now i updated to mavericks 10.9.2,and only the audio its driving me crazy, in the past i already send u my dsdt, but you ask me to send the ioregistry to get more info about my motherboard settings, so here its my ioreg, please if u can helpme, ill be waiting , thanks doc.

oh btw if i installs vodoo 2.7.2 and unplug hdmi cable the audio returns, if i plug again the audio is disable again, very strange behavior , if i plug by vga cable everything works fine , audio and video. thanks by ur time doc

Mac Pro de key.zip

Hi all! Been trying to add the code to my existing .aml but every time I try to compile I get a non-ascii error...

Any help letting me know where I messed up would be very helpful and appreciated! (been a very long time since I've compiled a DSDT and I forgot almost everything!)

DSDT.aml.zip

Mac Pro de key.zipTry this, and if it doesn't work, upload your ioreg.

hi again dr hurt, im still trying to get audio in ati 5450, hdmi or headphones outputs, nothing works, i try applehda, all voodoo kexts , and i cant activate audio, im desperate cause in previous hackintosh 10.8.2 everything was fine, but now i updated to mavericks 10.9.2,and only the audio its driving me crazy, in the past i already send u my dsdt, but you ask me to send the ioregistry to get more info about my motherboard settings, so here its my ioreg, please if u can helpme, ill be waiting , thanks doc.

oh btw if i installs vodoo 2.7.2 and unplug hdmi cable the audio returns, if i plug again the audio is disable again, very strange behavior , if i plug by vga cable everything works fine , audio and video. thanks by ur time doc

Hello Dr. Hurt,

I tried to get the DSDT working and for whatever I can't find the same text and you explain in your tutorial. I have attached by DSDT here. I would like to get the HDMI audio working if possible. If you could help me out I would really appericiate it. Thanks

DSDT.zip