ATI HD5450 on 10.9.2 missing AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext?

ejblom

53 posts in this topic

Dear all,

Have been trying to get my ATI HD5450 working after I updated to 10.9.2

I am able to load the following kext files:

bash-3.2$ kextstat |grep AMD
   83    2 0xffffff7f81c53000 0x116000   0x116000   com.apple.kext.AMDSupport (1.2.0) <82 64 11 10 7 5 4 3 1>
   86    0 0xffffff7f81dce000 0x3c3000   0x3c3000   com.apple.AMDRadeonX3000 (1.2.0) <85 64 11 7 5 4 3 1>
   99    0 0xffffff7f822fd000 0x24000    0x24000    com.apple.kext.AMDFramebuffer (1.2.0) <83 64 11 10 7 5 4 3 1>
  100    0 0xffffff7f82321000 0x20c000   0x20c000   com.apple.kext.AMD5000Controller (1.2.0) <83 64 11 10 5 4 3 1>

However, if I kextload AMDRadeonAccelerator (which I found on the web), I get:

bash-3.2$ sudo -s kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext/
/System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) link error; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).

I couldn't find AMDRadeonAccelerator in my S/L/E folder after updating to 10.9.2 so probably I didn't have an optimal setup.

Anyway, the version of AMDRadeonAccelerator does not match the other AMD kext files and I can't seem to find an updated version.

Any tips?

OK, Install these kexts wirh Kext utility in S/L/E, what's your vendor/device ID ? Mines are 0x68f91002 and that's the ones used in those Kexts. If yours are different, you may have to edit info.plist for AMD5000Controller.kext and AMDRadeonX3000.kext (in IOKit Personnalities under AMDCedarGraphicsAccelerator and IOPCIMatch) to make it works. When everything is OK, you no longer need GraphicsEnabler=Yes and Eulemur FrameBuffer in Chameleon.Boot.plist. Don't forget to rebuild permissions in S/L/E after installation but Kext Utility should automatically do it.

Enjoy Full QE/CI ! Good luck !

ati_mavericks_5450.zip

• Like 4

Dear all,

Have been trying to get my ATI HD5450 working after I updated to 10.9.2

I am able to load the following kext files:

bash-3.2$ kextstat |grep AMD
   83    2 0xffffff7f81c53000 0x116000   0x116000   com.apple.kext.AMDSupport (1.2.0) <82 64 11 10 7 5 4 3 1>
   86    0 0xffffff7f81dce000 0x3c3000   0x3c3000   com.apple.AMDRadeonX3000 (1.2.0) <85 64 11 7 5 4 3 1>
   99    0 0xffffff7f822fd000 0x24000    0x24000    com.apple.kext.AMDFramebuffer (1.2.0) <83 64 11 10 7 5 4 3 1>
  100    0 0xffffff7f82321000 0x20c000   0x20c000   com.apple.kext.AMD5000Controller (1.2.0) <83 64 11 10 5 4 3 1>

However, if I kextload AMDRadeonAccelerator (which I found on the web), I get:

bash-3.2$ sudo -s kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext/
/System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) link error; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).

I couldn't find AMDRadeonAccelerator in my S/L/E folder after updating to 10.9.2 so probably I didn't have an optimal setup.

Anyway, the version of AMDRadeonAccelerator does not match the other AMD kext files and I can't seem to find an updated version.

Any tips?

I never hear about kext with name "AMDRadeonAccelerator"

OK, Install these kexts wirh Kext utility in S/L/E, what's your vendor/device ID ? Mines are 0x68f91002 and that's the ones used in those Kexts. If yours are differents, you may have to edit info.plist for AMD5000Controller.kext and AMDRadeonX3000.kext (in IOKit Personnalities under AMDCedarGraphicsAccelerator and IOPCIMatch) to make it works. Also If everything is OK, you no longuer needs GraphicsEnabler=Yes and Eulemur FrameBuffer in Chameleon.Boot.plist. Don't forget to rebuild permissions in S/L/E after installation but Kext Utility should do it automatically.

Thanks!

Since I was fed up with my non functional install, I decided to reinstall completely. Luckily, I was able to get 10.9.1 working quite soon so I can always go back if it still fails in 10.9.2.

Let's update first!

Cool !

The 10.9.2 update replace the modified kexts but using the same method will makes it work again. You can try to edit the 10.9.2 kexts by yourself, it should works too but keep in safe place the modified kexts just in case it fails.

Enjoy !

Cool !

The 10.9.2 update replace the modified kexts but using the same method will makes it work again. You can try to edit the 10.9.2 kexts by yourself, it should works too but keep in safe place the modified kexts just in case it fails.

Enjoy !

It works!

These kext files will stay in my dropbox for as long there is 10.9.2 :-)!

Thanks again!

These kexts working even on my hd5650 too! I tried it because every 5xxx series are almost all the same XD

But do you 5450 possessors have the double screen error? My hackintosh tell me that there is always a vga screen plugged in..

@ejblom : Glad to hear that !

@elya : I don't have this error but I can't remember if I tried dual screen with HD 5450 as I now use a GeForce 8800 GT (which is much better if you you want to play) but I think it's OK. I'll try as soon as I can with both DVI & VGA and also with HDMI-DVI & HDMI-VGA.

@elya :

I tried to connect my Radeon HD 5450 to VGA & DVI monitors and it runs fine. I don't have an HDMI cable to test this output but I guess it's OK. I also tried both native VGA to VGA and VGA to VGA to DVI adaptor and it's OK. Check you adaptor if you're using one, I've noticed that differents 5450 cards uses differents DVI ports : i.e DVI-I or DVD-D.

• 3 weeks later...

I today tried with an HDMI cable and it works fine. The only issue that I'm facing now (and it seems that it depends on the brand of your Radeon HD 5450) is that pluggin the HDMI cable cut-off analog sound outpout for voodooHDA 2.4.8 and replace it with HDMI audio which is not working for me. But I have differents results with an MSI Radeon HD 5450 and with an XFX one. Strangly, another MSI does not have this problem (though HDMI Audio desn't work in any case).

Anyone succeed to have HMDI audio AND analog Audio working fine whatever the video output used ?

OK, Install these kexts wirh Kext utility in S/L/E, what's your vendor/device ID ? Mines are 0x68f91002 and that's the ones used in those Kexts. If yours are differents, you may have to edit info.plist for AMD5000Controller.kext and AMDRadeonX3000.kext (in IOKit Personnalities under AMDCedarGraphicsAccelerator and IOPCIMatch) to make it works. Also If everything is OK, you no longuer needs GraphicsEnabler=Yes and Eulemur FrameBuffer in Chameleon.Boot.plist. Don't forget to rebuild permissions in S/L/E after installation but Kext Utility should do it automatically.

I tested these kexts and it works, BUT, just created a bug in the app viewer, where the app keeps crashing or open the image as if it were corrupted.

By app viewer you mean Preview.app, right ?

I've also experimented display bugs with certains Radeon HD 5450 models, it depends… I don't know how to solve that issue, but I've noticed that somebody posted new Radeon HD 5450 kexts for 10.9.2 in the download section but they never worked for me, stucking at a grey screen before loading the desktop.

Help wanted fellows ;-)

By app viewer you mean Preview.app, right ?

I've also experimented display bugs with certains Radeon HD 5450 models, it depends… I don't know how to solve that issue, but I've noticed that somebody posted new Radeon HD 5450 kexts for 10.9.2 in the download section but they never worked for me, stucking at a grey screen before loading the desktop.

Help wanted fellows ;-)

*Preview.app 

Sorry xD

My HD5450 1GB is from MSI. I downloaded two kexts for 10.9.2. I found in the niresh site. 

Then I needed to add a key in boot.plist 

For those who want to test the kexts are attached in the post.

*Sorry for my bad english. :P

Inside the folder has a file explaining what you have to add in boot.plist ;)

ATI HD5450 10.9.2.zip

Ok, I'll try that but with my kexts, you don't need to add AtiConfig Framebuffer=Eulemur & GraphicsEnabler=Yes. The main advantage is that it doesn't break sleep function whereas adding these boot flags does.

I added these flags, to see if it no longer occurs when the system hangs, what was happening with this method here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/293049-guide-mavericks-amd-radeon-hd5450/

For now nothing freezes or bugs with app.Preview

Those kexts doesn't work for me, I can access to the desktop but no QE/CI support. Permissions repaired, double-checked correct vendor/device ID but no way.

Dude, what brand is your vga? What is the code identifying it? 

I use a MSI Radeon HD 5450 1 Gb connected via DVI to a HDMI display, another MSI Radeon HD 5450 1 Gb connected via VGA to a VGA display and a Sapphire Radeon HD 5450 1 Gb connected via VGA to VGA display. Sapphire & XFX ones runs fine with no bugs when connected in VGA but both MSI connected via DVI to HDMI or HDMI to HDMI has some graphics bugs like yours and none in VGA.

I've noticed that MSI uses DVI-I (or DVI-D, can't remember ;-) connectors where the other ones uses DVI-D (or DVI-I, you follow me ? ;-). Maybe it's the cause of that unexplained bugs…

I use a MSI Radeon HD 5450 1 Gb connected via DVI to a HDMI display, another MSI Radeon HD 5450 1 Gb connected via VGA to a VGA display and a Sapphire Radeon HD 5450 1 Gb connected via VGA to VGA display. Sapphire & XFX ones runs fine with no bugs when connected in VGA but both MSI connected via DVI to HDMI or HDMI to HDMI has some graphics bugs like yours and none in VGA.

I've noticed that MSI uses DVI-I (or DVI-D, can't remember ;-) connectors where the other ones uses DVI-D (or DVI-I, you follow me ? ;-). Maybe it's the cause of that unexplained bugs…

Is this really weird problem ... 

Man, so far have not had any more problems or freezing bug in the app viewer, after I installed those kexts that I gave you. =D

With the kexts that you spent, only the MSI did not work, or none of the three worked?

Well finally it's OK ! I was using some pretty old kexts for my 5450 made originaly for ML, then Mavericks DP1, DP2, etc… So they were surrelly outdated. I've re-installed the originals one from OS 10.9.2 MacApp Store .dmg and added the new ones from this site and it works fine !

BTW, you don't need to add GraphicsEnabler=Yes & AtiConfig=Eulemur, it works fine without this boot flags and should avoid sleep/wake-up issues.

Well finally it's OK ! I was using some pretty old kexts for my 5450 made originaly for ML, then Mavericks DP1, DP2, etc… So they were surrelly outdated. I've re-installed the originals one from OS 10.9.2 MacApp Store .dmg and added the new ones from this site and it works fine !

BTW, you don't need to add GraphicsEnabler=Yes & AtiConfig=Eulemur, it works fine without this boot flags and should avoid sleep/wake-up issues.

But I've removed those flags ;)

Finally you managed to solve the problem! =D