[Guide] SurfacePro 1 & 2 Osx-Android-Windows multiboot

JahStories

2,617 posts in this topic

With the Edimax wifi adapter, should the WLAN icon in the top right of the menu bar?  I installed the driver/utility and I can connect through the utility provided with the card to my WIFI but the computer still seems to act like its not connected and the WLAN icon in the menu bar isn't showing at all.  

Hi there and welcome to the community, just take your time to edit your signature properly, thanks!

the external wifi driver behavior on OS X is different from the official Airport's one.

You should use a provided utility 

and then verify the connection under the network prefpanes (usually the driver simulate an ethernet port.)

btw if you like the menubar way there should be an utility for ralink chipset with a similar to the original wifi icon.

have fun and good hack

Yes, just edit the config.plist, making your windows drive as the "primary volume"

Munakib appreciate the response. My default volume is "SurfaceSSD" which boots into OSX. I don't know what I should change it to. I tried "EFI" and "MIcrosoft" and "MicrosoftEFI" but no luck. The name of the Microsoft partition is "Untitled" so I tried that too but it still boots to OSX. The name shown when booting from Clover is something along the lines of "Boot Microsoft from EFI". 

Munakib appreciate the response. My default volume is "SurfaceSSD" which boots into OSX. I don't know what I should change it to. I tried "EFI" and "MIcrosoft" and "MicrosoftEFI" but no luck. The name of the Microsoft partition is "Untitled" so I tried that too but it still boots to OSX. The name shown when booting from Clover is something along the lines of "Boot Microsoft from EFI". 

This question is not related to the surface pro or its guide, there are a lot of infos about Clover here on InsanelyMac, and if needed, there are threads where you can ask for help.

This thread is already huge and complete, there is every answer you may need.

Or we are going to have a 200 pages thread even if everything has been sorted in the first 80 pages.

About the flickering issue, post a screenshot or a video, cause i never had such problems...

Jus Tried the kext, it doesnt work for me:

I downloaded it

I installed it via kext wizard

I rebuilded cache via kw.

Reboot, it doesnt work,

in system information i can see that appleusb is loaded, why?

so i tried injecting it via clover, doesnt work neither.

Any advices?

should i try 10.10, does it work better?

Does anybody know a way to use the touchscreen or volume buttons to select boot entries from the clover menu⁇

Thanks for the bluetooth guidance will try that later.

Clover to my knowledge won't work like that, closest I could get was default boot to a specific drive after a set time to save me needling the keyboard.

@schinkengott

if something is not working for you, you probably did something wrong... no problems reported with the new suggested kext.

@bjsurf

as ethan said clover doesn't support touchscreens or volume buttons yet, only keyboard (even touch and type covers) or a mouse or trackpad.

(surfaceosx)

Have been trying for hours to get my surface pro stable. Current setup: Surface pro in official docking station. Half of the reboots I get distorted sound. Using the search function I found the suggestion to use the clover configuration tool to manually enter the Custom UUID but I guess that I am doing something wrong. I have tried the following UUID's:

- The one in system profiler (which seems to be quite random on every boot, tried the one which was active when I had correct working sound)

- The UUID which clover shows during boot.

So, my question is the following: which UUID should I be using? And when entering the Custom UUID, should I disable the "Inject System ID" as suggested earlier? Or is there any other fix for the stuttering sound?

Not sure if it is related or not, but I have followed the instructions for getting facetime etc. working but couldn't get that working either. Thought that it might be related to having a different UUID on every reboot. On the last boots my system is also sometimes crashing (aka, reloading the GUI) when I try to open the system profiler. When the GUI is restarted (within a second, which messes with my monitor arrangement) I suddenly am able to start the system profiler.

I have (had) the same here. But my UUID is stable. To get rid of the UUID-changing, just put your costum UUID in "System Parameters" of the config.plist ONLY (using Clover Configurator or manually - if you know how to.) As i recall i used the UUID for OSX shown in the clover bootscreen (hit space bar), dont get confused, the UUID shown later in the system profiler is different, but should be stable.

Audio is sometimes distorted. I am dualbooting Win8.1 and OSX. So far i think the sound problem is related (in my case) to different "activations" of the hardware. Same thing with bluetooth. If i register my BT-Mouse in Win8.1, the mouse will be recognized with no problem on every boot. If i register the BT-mouse in OSX the mouse will not be recognized in Win8.1 - have to register it again. An vice versa.

Courious: On my first daily boot in OSX, sound is fine 99% of boots. If i boot a little around, chances are 50/50 for nonglitchy sound.

As Jahstories told a couple of posts ago ;) not experiencing any of those soundglitches (well ... rare!) BUT as i recall, he was single-booting OSX.

Dont know a solution, you are the first (beside me) that experienced audioglitches, and report here. Seems rare. Tried some different voodoo.kexts. No success. I live with it. Sometimes it helps, if you boot up and shut your system down BEFORE the clover bootscreen appears, wait 10 sec., reboot, boot OSX. But only sometimes... ;)

The kext isnt even loaded, so please help me, i installed it via kw and tried to inject it

Just Tried again, if i rebuild kext Cache via terminal it says genericusb got a invalid Signature?

You got two easy options to install kexts. Kext Drop or Kext Utility (maybe there are more options...). What happens if you try to use these tools. Schinkengott = german native speaker??? :) Oh, and btw maybe it helps if you boot in SAFEMODE and inject kext with kext drop, repair permissions...

• Like 2

Prepare a partition to install OsX:

(Clean installation of osx to a formatted drive suggested, jump to step 7 of installing osx to the surface pro. but if you wanna try)

Format the whole drive, install OS X first, then reinstall windows...
noone ever reported any problems with kext installation and i'm using any kind of usb device, from pro audio cards to several joysticks, keyboars and mouses.
use the provided kextdrop in the app folder of the FilesPack.

if you don't want to clean install,
since you already asked for help, just try to find a way to fix it by yourself or wait for someones help.

Thanks and good hack!

the second Surface pro was formatted by the osx installer, complete.

but i'll Try it again, as soon as i got a Image of my win8.1

Dont forget to read the SERIAL out of the BIOS... YOU NEED IT!!! For sure...

...and as suggested: Use CloneZilla (you will need a working USB-hub, an external keyboard, and an external data-storage).

If i were one your side, i would do with your surfaceS what many of the threadreaders were lurking for: focus on one machine, get it running stable, and then CLONE your HD... with some minor fixes you should setup two machines quick, with a big smile. ;)

Hi caleidoscope

the bluetooth pairing doesnt work because a new key is generated every time. Here is a workaround

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/268837-dual-boot-bluetooth-pairing-solved/

Happy hackintoshing

Thanks. You’re the man!!! ;)

Hi,

Yesterday I had to start reinstalling os x from scratch on my surface pro. This time installing with the latest up to date 10.9.4 installer and the 0.4 files pack. The install went fine, but now I cannot get my QE/CI working, whereas last time when installing with the 10.9.2 installer and the 0.2 and 0.3 file packs the install went fine and I had QE/CI working, and continued to work even when I updated through the app store to 10.9.4. Please can someone help me get QE/CI working, as before this reinstall I had the perfect install with QE/CI working. Also I re downloaded the Mavericks installer from the app store, so only have access to the 10.9.4 installer and no longer have the 10.9.2 installer.

Thank you.

Hi,

Yesterday I had to start reinstalling os x from scratch on my surface pro. This time installing with the latest up to date 10.9.4 installer and the 0.4 files pack. The install went fine, but now I cannot get my QE/CI working, whereas last time when installing with the 10.9.2 installer and the 0.2 and 0.3 file packs the install went fine and I had QE/CI working, and continued to work even when I updated through the app store to 10.9.4. Please can someone help me get QE/CI working, as before this reinstall I had the perfect install with QE/CI working. Also I re downloaded the Mavericks installer from the app store, so only have access to the 10.9.4 installer and no longer have the 10.9.2 installer.

Thank you.

It is so curious... why are the installs so different. REMEMBER: It all started with 10.9.2. Why need 10.9.4 so "early"??? Leave it on the side. Get a working 10.9.2 install (like in the tut - 1st Page) - that’s how it works for me - messaround with the dsdt and get your config.plist "up-to-date". Use the v0.4 package (it worked for me with the FIRST packages!!!) - with QE/CI worrking OOB (as i recall) - at least after installing the kexts, put the dsdt in the right folder.

Hey miles, do you try to install ONLY OSX, or is your Win8 still present? In my situation, i erased the whole harddrive and started installing OSX ONLY. After having it up and running i backuped the HD and installed Win 8.0 to 8.1. WORKS.

For the "red-boot-screeners" (i read some posts ago). Did you wipe your disk, and installed Win8 by yourself? I think if you leave it on, you will get the red-bootscreen... because i dont have one...

I don't have red boot and I left windows as was, just partitioned off a bit for OSX. I think from memory I did when I very first ran the USB and haven't since. Don't remember doing anything to change it. I assume (perhaps wrongly) it's to do with secure boot in windows?

It is so curious... why are the installs so different. REMEMBER: It all started with 10.9.2. Why need 10.9.4 so "early"??? Leave it on the side. Get a working 10.9.2 install (like in the tut - 1st Page) - that’s how it works for me - messaround with the dsdt and get your config.plist "up-to-date". Use the v0.4 package (it worked for me with the FIRST packages!!!) - with QE/CI worrking OOB (as i recall) - at least after installing the kexts, put the dsdt in the right folder.

Hey miles, do you try to install ONLY OSX, or is your Win8 still present? In my situation, i erased the whole harddrive and started installing OSX ONLY. After having it up and running i backuped the HD and installed Win 8.0 to 8.1. WORKS.

For the "red-boot-screeners" (i read some posts ago). Did you wipe your disk, and installed Win8 by yourself? I think if you leave it on, you will get the red-bootscreen... because i dont have one...

Hi, I always wipe the whole SSD before I attempt an install. So far I have tried installing the up to date 10.9.4 installer using the 0.4 files pack which resulted in no QE/CI, and I tried installing it again using the 0.2 and 0.3 files pack which still resulted in no QE/CI. The frustrating thing is that I could probably get QE/CI working again if I had access to the original 10.9.2 installer, but because I deleted it and re downloaded the installer from the app store again I'm now stuck with the latest 10.9.4 installer.

@ethan & caleidosCope

red boot is on surface pro 2 only. (it's there to remember that secure boot is disabled)

@miles400

if you don't get qe ci you are using the wrong dsdt ssdt, use those in the folder ssdt dsdt in the root of the zip files.

• Like 1

I don't have red boot and I left windows as was, just partitioned off a bit for OSX. I think from memory I did when I very first ran the USB and haven't since. Don't remember doing anything to change it. I assume (perhaps wrongly) it's to do with secure boot in windows?

I think YES. I erased my whole HD, and installed OSX prior to Win8. Had installing problems too, because i was anxious and shrunk my Win8 - not to loose it. But after recovering my Win8-Key and figured out how to be one the save side... i wiped the HD, install was a little -not straight- ;) - After trying around a bit (had a faulty USB-OSX-installer-stick) i had a FUNKY SCREEN - totally RED dont remember what was written... but it seemed to be LOCKED. Got over this hirdle with a special boot-reset-manouver. After that OSX-install went fine and straight, eccept the mistakes I MADE for MYSELF. ;)

... a good point, a post ago from JahStories about QE/CI !!!

@ethan & caleidosCope

red boot is on surface pro 2 only. (it's there to remember that secure boot is disabled)

Yeah... your right, o my old brain. ;)

• Like 1

@ethan & caleidosCope

@miles400

if you don't get qe ci you are using the wrong dsdt ssdt, use those in the folder ssdt dsdt in the root of the zip files.

Hi,

I have tried with both sets of dsdt and ssdt (first time with the ones located in the to efi partition folder and the second time with the ones located in the Dsdt and Ssdt folder) and with both attempts I ended up with no QE/CI, with the only difference being the set in the Dsdt and Ssdt folder allowed me to change the brightness.