[Guide] SurfacePro 1 & 2 Osx-Android-Windows multiboot

JahStories

2,617 posts in this topic

(surfaceosx)

@JahStories Wow - Thanks for responding to me so quickly... I'm on a Surface Pro 1. I'll update my signature right now.

P.S.

Nice comparison video. I have a MacBook Pro Retina and I'm more excited to get Mavericks running on my Surface than about it ;)

I personally like a lot the retina MacBook Pro, it's surely way better than the SurfacePro. But i've always wanted to do a little comparison... 

about your issue, i remember that someone faced that, do a search, there should be a solution in the thread or just wait to someone to answer back :)

thanks for editing your signature ;)

use 10.9.0 or 10.9.2 and then update to 10.9.4 when everything is working, since someone reported problems on getting graphic acceleration to work when installing 10.9.4 directly.

@JahStories Roger that!

When I copy the Kexts from SP1 0.4 (Re-FIXED), do I just drag and drop via Finder, or is there a better (or right) way?

(I overwrote the files that are already in /OS X Base System/System/Library/Extensions/)

you need to install the kexts to your local drive, there is an app called Kextdrop in the pack, use that App for kexts installation.

and remember that clean installation (formatting the whole drive) is super suggested.

from the guide

•  When the Installation is finished. It counting down to restart.
  • Go before the coundown is ended to the menu and launch the terminal
  • If you are to late, boot again with volume down, choose your USB stick and boot without caches and injected kext and then start the terminal from the menu
  1. Copy the extensions
  • cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext /Volumes/"NEW OSX PARTITION"/System/Library/Extensions/
  • cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/ACPIBatteryManager.kext /Volumes/"NEW OSX PARTITION"/System/Library/Extensions/
  • cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext /Volumes/"NEW OSX PARTITION"/System/Library/Extensions/

these kext should boot the system, then use kextdrop.

To be clear, should I copy all of the Kexts from /SP1 0.4 (Re-FIXED)/Drivers (use kextdrop)/ to /OS X Base System/System/Library/Extensions/ on the USB install stick?

Yes.

This is for booting... i mean the boot to install OSX.

Installing on the booted system with kext drop ... is for the (hopefully) running system.

panic: Unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\…IOPlatformExpert.cpp 1533

also if i try: 

1. Select the newly installed Mavericks drive and boot without caches and injected kext (If you are experiencing problems, try a safe boot with these under graphics: injectededid, loadvbios and as fake id: 0x1660009)

Any idea?!

panic: Unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\…IOPlatformExpert.cpp 1533

also if i try: 

1. Select the newly installed Mavericks drive and boot without caches and injected kext (If you are experiencing problems, try a safe boot with these under graphics: injectededid, loadvbios and as fake id: 0x1660009)

Any idea?!

post install, or during install?

What was your system from which you created the usb-installer? 10.9.4??? Try to use 10.9.2 or 10.9.0.

Try to get a running 10.9.2 system... care for the .4 after all is up and running.

Hi guys!

First of all, a big thank you to everyone here :) Great work!

I got a shiny new Surface Pro2, the updated version, and trying to get OSX installed. Did everything described in the Pro2 section but after selecting the usb drive (using the suggested boot option) to boot i get the usual text scrolling boot and after a while i get stuck with the grey screen, an apple and an endless rotating beachball... any ideas?

Trying it with 10.9.0 which runs perfectly on my other hackintosh.

tnx in advance! and if i did something wrong here please dont hate me...hehe

===> SOLVED <=== it was the missing dart=0 entry in the config.plist

maybe you could explain in the first post that you have to press space and *not* enter after selecting the usb drive in clover..

So on my SP2 under 10.9.4 I have almost everything working (posting from it now!), but a few things still are giving me trouble.  Has anyone figured out a way to get brightness control working?  It has occasionally worked, but most of the time the slider has no effect.  also, has anyone reliably found a way to get iMessage/Facetime working?  I got iCloud and App Store using the NullEthernet guide, but iMessage and FaceTime give me errors.  The iMessage error code is 1933-9040-7184, in case it helps.  FaceTime does not give an error code.  One more thing: I do get graphical glitches on the menu bar occasionally, but my dock always has a glitchy background.  Any ideas?

Thanks for the guide guys, it has made my SP2 much more useful! (as if it wasn't already my favorite device  :P )

post-964011-0-32594200-1408739541_thumb.png

okay, got 10.9 running but now i cant install clover to the ssd. searched the thread but dont get the clue. i shrinked the windows partition as mentioned and installed osx. so far so good but clover installation fails. is there any way to get it running as dual boot without wiping windows first?

okay, got 10.9 running but now i cant install clover to the ssd. searched the thread but dont get the clue. i shrinked the windows partition as mentioned and installed osx. so far so good but clover installation fails. is there any way to get it running as dual boot without wiping windows first?

This was covered recently, if you search my posts you will probably find it. You have to delete the recovery partition in windows so that the efi drive is first, windows adds another drive in for recovery and clover can't understand it.

• Like 1

tnx for that, deleted the recovery Partition but that didnt help. i´ve read something about deleting the Windows EFI Partition but that would prevent booting into Windows right?

Ok its been a while since I did it now but roughly.....

Delete the recovery partition only, NOT the efi.

I think from memory the last time I did it I booted from the usb into the installer to get disk utility, it shows 5 disks or so, delete the partition from there aswell if its showing. Again DO NOT delete the EFI, its roughly 200mb in size.

When done that should be partition 1, windows should be 2 and OS X should be 3.

Reboot into OS X, install clover (should now work) and then you need to follow the file copying that is mentioned in the guide.

Cheers

• Like 1

okay, in disk utility i got 5 disks, disk0s1 (377mb), disk0s3 (134mb), windows, osx, and "new volume"(around 7gigs)

now how do i get rid of it? i just can reformat it... okay, it´s gone. lets see if it works now

again thanks for your help!

-> still dont work..

using the version from the file pack r2482 

is it okay to have disk0s1,disk0s2,windows,osx?

Ok, screenshot attached is my layout of disks (ignore the micro sd) I have Yosemite and Mavericks on after windows, but the important bit is the first disk, its 134Mb in size.

Is that the layout you have?

In regard to clover, I would suggest google the latest version, may make a difference I have a feeling I used 2695 or so.

Edit - forgot the attachment.

Also, remember I am using a SP1, if you are SP2 then it might be different!

post-1334449-0-50207500-1408793851_thumb.png

its not, there was also disk0s3

found some infos about how to partition.. looks like i deleted one partition too much, osx panics now on boot.. i´ll wipe all osx stuff and will start over again

found this here somewhere in the thread:

Simply download a partition program in windows, I used Easeus Partition Master. Once it loads, you should see several partitions in there. 

1. Delete all the partitions except for the one labeled EFI and your main windows partition. Apply the change. Now you should see an EFT partition, some unallocated space, and then your windows partition. NOTE!! At this point Clover will still not install, so don't try

2. resize the efi partition to take up all the space before your windows partition. This is one of the most important steps. Apply the change, and reboot (if you dont do this right you will have to run a windows repair from a live windows USB installer.)

3. Assuming all goes well and you are booted back into windows, go into your stock hard drive manager (Right click this pc, then click Manage, then look for disk managment,) Right click your windows partition and shrink it. Format the new space as NTFS, and follow the "to install on the surface pro 2" guide.

i´ll try that. but until now i have no idea on how to resize the efi partition.. lets see..

its not, there was also disk0s3

found some infos about how to partition.. looks like i deleted one partition too much, osx panics now on boot.. i´ll wipe all osx stuff and will start over again

found this here somewhere in the thread:

Simply download a partition program in windows, I used Easeus Partition Master. Once it loads, you should see several partitions in there. 

1. Delete all the partitions except for the one labeled EFI and your main windows partition. Apply the change. Now you should see an EFT partition, some unallocated space, and then your windows partition. NOTE!! At this point Clover will still not install, so don't try

2. resize the efi partition to take up all the space before your windows partition. This is one of the most important steps. Apply the change, and reboot (if you dont do this right you will have to run a windows repair from a live windows USB installer.)

3. Assuming all goes well and you are booted back into windows, go into your stock hard drive manager (Right click this pc, then click Manage, then look for disk managment,) Right click your windows partition and shrink it. Format the new space as NTFS, and follow the "to install on the surface pro 2" guide.

i´ll try that. but until now i have no idea on how to resize the efi partition.. lets see..

Yep makes sense and now from memory I think I had to reinstall OS X at that point too as it upsets the partition table - I don't remember resizing to be honest but thats not to say I didn't!

Best of luck.

oookay reinstalled everything, intalled clover, restarted... right into windows! tried to install a newer version of clover -> failed, installed r2482 again -> successful, rebooted again right into windows. what am i doing wrong?